What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do if I can’t smoke anymore.

blondie

I actually met a 77 year old gentleman this past weekend who told everyone that heating bud was not needed. He proceeded to tell me he has had experience since 1962 and what he was talking about is correct.... He couldn’t smoke any longer and grabbed a piece of bud and chewed it down. 20 minutes later he said he was feeling it well and complimented me on the Malawi. I’ve tried to eat raw before and hasn’t worked for me. Maybe works for some people.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
So, I have a feeling the day is coming soon where I need to stop smoking, at least at the level I do. My throat is starting to get really sensitive to inhaling smoke, and after 30+ years of smoking I’m sure my lungs could use a break. Especially considering every job I have had is also hell on the lungs with dirt, particles and glass.

The problem is… I don’t feel edibles, at all. I thought I was screwing up everything I make at home somehow, but everyone I give edibles to gets annihilated by them. Apparently they’re plenty strong. I also can’t feel the store bought edibles anymore. The only way I can feel them is by jumping up to a 1000mg chocolate bar or something like that. Even if I take a month + off from smoking/using I still don’t really feel the edibles. They used to rock me, but not in the last 10 years or so.

I tried going to Dabs thinking 1-2 hits vs a whole bowl would be better for my throat/chest, but dabs tear me up and all I feel is a rushing feeling that goes away quickly.

I don’t drink so alcohol tinctures are out.

My entire life only smoking has given me the feeling I am looking for and the relief I need. Anyone have this same issue with only smoking being effective, but needing to cut way back on the lung abuse? Got any tricks to share?
Start making RSO :) I've read most of the thread... Personally I make mari-pills. You obviously have built up quite the tolerance. mari-pills = decarboxilated bud, in size 0 or 00 caps, and you are going for a ride 4-6hrs :)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I got lucky and was a tester for a couple places out here when they were developing their terpene profiles. Had vape carts out the wazoo. They actually hurt my throat and upper chest more than smoking does and I wasn’t too keen on seeing all the oil when I would exhale a vape hit through a paper towel. I also don’t trust the cleanliness of the terpenes people use after talking with a few people at the larger labs.

I make my own rosin now and use it instead of the cartridges but it still tears my throat up.
Any of the chemists named Drew? Chest pains? Vitamin E Acetate was discussed at length here a couple years ago. Extract Ninja was the one who started the investigation.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
So, I have a feeling the day is coming soon where I need to stop smoking, at least at the level I do. My throat is starting to get really sensitive to inhaling smoke, and after 30+ years of smoking I’m sure my lungs could use a break. Especially considering every job I have had is also hell on the lungs with dirt, particles and glass.

The problem is… I don’t feel edibles, at all. I thought I was screwing up everything I make at home somehow, but everyone I give edibles to gets annihilated by them. Apparently they’re plenty strong. I also can’t feel the store bought edibles anymore. The only way I can feel them is by jumping up to a 1000mg chocolate bar or something like that. Even if I take a month + off from smoking/using I still don’t really feel the edibles. They used to rock me, but not in the last 10 years or so.

I tried going to Dabs thinking 1-2 hits vs a whole bowl would be better for my throat/chest, but dabs tear me up and all I feel is a rushing feeling that goes away quickly.

I don’t drink so alcohol tinctures are out.

My entire life only smoking has given me the feeling I am looking for and the relief I need. Anyone have this same issue with only smoking being effective, but needing to cut way back on the lung abuse? Got any tricks to share?
The obvious thing would be vaping, but there are other options as well. Make oil and administer it under your tongue (sublingual) if edibles don't work. I hear a suppository also does the trick. As others have mentioned cobs are a great way to consume.

I would also recommend a tolerance break because no matter what you do at this stage, smoking will still be your preference. Whereas if you take a good break you kind of start from scratch again.

Cactus Squatter

Start making RSO :) I've read most of the thread... Personally I make mari-pills. You obviously have built up quite the tolerance. mari-pills = decarboxilated bud, in size 0 or 00 caps, and you are going for a ride 4-6hrs :)

I barely feel RSO unfortunately. Pretty much anything ingested orally barely gets me at all even in way high doses.

Cactus Squatter

The obvious thing would be vaping, but there are other options as well. Make oil and administer it under your tongue (sublingual) if edibles don't work. I hear a suppository also does the trick. As others have mentioned cobs are a great way to consume.

I would also recommend a tolerance break because no matter what you do at this stage, smoking will still be your preference. Whereas if you take a good break you kind of start from scratch again.
I took 3 months off last year. No change in tolerance to edibles after that.
As far as how it feels, Vaping hurts my throat more than smoking does and it gives me half the feeling of smoke.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I also use a volcano (the classic) for my daily consumption and have been consuming for 30 years the last 10 with the volcano. When I am out on tour for Phish I have to smoke joints and by day 2 my lungs are killing me. Mind you I smoke a bit, on a regular day @ an 1/8 through the volcano and when on tour up to 3/8 a day. With severe stomach issues I am in the same boat of edibles not doing anything for me due to the fact I can't absorb what I need to out of it. If I was you I would get a volcano as I haven't used a vape that works as well and gets you where you wanna be. It will take a couple weeks of experimenting with it to find the temps that work best for you but I run 2- 2 1/2 ft balloons at 340°f then regrind those and fill a 3rd balloon at 385°f. Best of luck 😉😁

Tangwena

Veteran
I took 3 months off last year. No change in tolerance to edibles after that.
As far as how it feels, Vaping hurts my throat more than smoking does and it gives me half the feeling of smoke.
I feel for you as I have been down that same path myself. Smoked for 40 years in the end I had to give up or die.
Never smoked tobacco shit stuff does nothing but kill you slowly.
I have been chewing cobbed primo bud now for over 8 years maybe ten. It is very different to smoking but I get incredibly high for the whole day and now wouldn't go back to smoking even if I could.
It takes a while to get the brain over the rush from smoking but it will quickly respond to chewing cob cured weed once you stop smoking.
Its like a new drug forget smokings high and move on your lungs will thank you. Once you bite the bullet you will love it.
Its a different high much better and a lot longer lasting once your tolerance from years of smoking has gone.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Roll up a Mullein joint every night and smoke it. You'll hack all kinds of crap up out of your lungs.

BTW, cannabis smoke is not your problem. Your problem is the contaminates in and on your cannabis. I grow clean (low feed, high transpiration, only feeding the minimum needed for robust growth), use pollen/allergy filters on my intake air, and folks use my cannabis for asthma and lung problem relief.

I smoke when I am awake, all day and coming up on 40yrs of toking as well. When I use cannabis from other growers I can definitely feel the negatives of non-clean grow methods in my lungs and throat..

Edit: Severe stomach issues and cannabis? Check for a runaway H pylori infection AND make damn sure your cannabis is grown without neem oil, neem meal and azadirachtin. Area around your kidneys hurt much?

Last edited:

Cactus Squatter

I also use a volcano (the classic) for my daily consumption and have been consuming for 30 years the last 10 with the volcano. When I am out on tour for Phish I have to smoke joints and by day 2 my lungs are killing me. Mind you I smoke a bit, on a regular day @ an 1/8 through the volcano and when on tour up to 3/8 a day. With severe stomach issues I am in the same boat of edibles not doing anything for me due to the fact I can't absorb what I need to out of it. If I was you I would get a volcano as I haven't used a vape that works as well and gets you where you wanna be. It will take a couple weeks of experimenting with it to find the temps that work best for you but I run 2- 2 1/2 ft balloons at 340°f then regrind those and fill a 3rd balloon at 385°f. Best of luck
Roll up a Mullein joint every night and smoke it. You'll hack all kinds of crap up out of your lungs.

BTW, cannabis smoke is not your problem. Your problem is the contaminates in and on your cannabis. I grow clean (low feed, high transpiration, only feeding the minimum needed for robust growth), use pollen/allergy filters on my intake air, and folks use my cannabis for asthma and lung problem relief.

I smoke when I am awake, all day and coming up on 40yrs of toking as well. When I use cannabis from other growers I can definitely feel the negatives of non-clean grow methods in my lungs and throat..

Edit: Severe stomach issues and cannabis? Check for a runaway H pylori infection AND make damn sure your cannabis is grown without neem oil, neem meal and azadirachtin. Area around your kidneys hurt much?
I grow 100% organic, no sprays during flower. Just the plants and I don’t push them. I hate over ferted chem grown and won’t touch it.

I also do smoke mullein on occasion and while it helps while I’m congested when sick etc, it hasn’t helped me any other time.
It helped a ton when the Covid had my lungs feeling like fire jelly.

I’m not the one with the stomach issues, but I can tell immediately if someone has used Neem in their grow. I’m sensitive as hell to it and will get really nauseous when exposed to it. Stuff is nasty.

RobFromTX

I actually met a 77 year old gentleman this past weekend who told everyone that heating bud was not needed. He proceeded to tell me he has had experience since 1962 and what he was talking about is correct.... He couldn’t smoke any longer and grabbed a piece of bud and chewed it down. 20 minutes later he said he was feeling it well and complimented me on the Malawi. I’ve tried to eat raw before and hasn’t worked for me. Maybe works for some peopl

I grow 100% organic, no sprays during flower. Just the plants and I don’t push them. I hate over ferted chem grown and won’t touch it.

I also do smoke mullein on occasion and while it helps while I’m congested when sick etc, it hasn’t helped me any other time.
It helped a ton when the Covid had my lungs feeling like fire jelly.

I’m not the one with the stomach issues, but I can tell immediately if someone has used Neem in their grow. I’m sensitive as hell to it and will get really nauseous when exposed to it. Stuff is nasty.
Im glad covid didn't affect my lungs. It made half my hair fall out though and it didn't grow back for 3 months:oops: Yeah Neem does make for some crummy weed. I wont smoke it either. Ill just trash the plant if it comes to that

blondie

Area around my kidneys is one issue I have. H pylori is great idea to check. I’m cured of it.

I also recall reading something about p450 enzyme related to thc and had a fleeting thought this could have something to do with tolerance. I don’t recall enough but something like if you are taking meds that use p450 it competes with thc which somehow uses p450. This may not be entirely accurate, but close.

Gry

Veteran
When unable to smoke, I mix rosin, with just enough olive oil to be able to use
an eyedropper with it, and subligual it.
The onset is very rapid and resembles the effect I get from smoking.
Not trying to say it is the equal of smoking, but it is close enough that
I am able to get by with it. Best of wishes.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
There is always the suppository...
Lol, double bonus due to it being a healthier delivery method and requires up to 1/3rd less per dose. Any good suppository threads yet? Lol

Pain around the kidneys and stomach issues sends up the azadiractin/neem flags for me. H pylori overinfection is also super common with it. Usually gets worse when switching to organic flowers, since neem/aza is still #1 in the organic camp.

Taima-da

I also vote chewed cob.
It does take a couple of weeks for the effects to open up especially if you've been smoking- (smoking floods the synapses or something and reduces perceived effect), but once it starts to work well, it loses any sense of subtlety, and really works great all day.

One thing is to chew till it's really just a liquid and keep chewing as long as possible, chewing just briefly and swallowing (once you're tuned into the effect) works but not as quickly or as well.

You're right about the altered effects but you'll find the high you're into I'm sure. recently I've had experiences that remind me of decades ago, full body vibrating to music, questioning the wisdom of driving, trying talking to the neighbours with the -"I hope they don't notice I'm tripping" feeling etc etc, like being a teenager all over again.

I think Tang is right, because it's the whole plant the effect can be far fuller than an extract.

One possible thing to watch are the six hour munchies though

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts