What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do if I can’t smoke anymore.

Cactus Squatter

So, I have a feeling the day is coming soon where I need to stop smoking, at least at the level I do. My throat is starting to get really sensitive to inhaling smoke, and after 30+ years of smoking I’m sure my lungs could use a break. Especially considering every job I have had is also hell on the lungs with dirt, particles and glass.

The problem is… I don’t feel edibles, at all. I thought I was screwing up everything I make at home somehow, but everyone I give edibles to gets annihilated by them. Apparently they’re plenty strong. I also can’t feel the store bought edibles anymore. The only way I can feel them is by jumping up to a 1000mg chocolate bar or something like that. Even if I take a month + off from smoking/using I still don’t really feel the edibles. They used to rock me, but not in the last 10 years or so.

I tried going to Dabs thinking 1-2 hits vs a whole bowl would be better for my throat/chest, but dabs tear me up and all I feel is a rushing feeling that goes away quickly.

I don’t drink so alcohol tinctures are out.

My entire life only smoking has given me the feeling I am looking for and the relief I need. Anyone have this same issue with only smoking being effective, but needing to cut way back on the lung abuse? Got any tricks to share?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'm not saying edibles don't affect me, as they do, but the effect of smoking a joint, (British way with tobacco) is just so much diff, and far nicer.
But no, not vapes or any other way of using is the equivalent. Sorry. You could at least switch to a tobacco grown with no pesticides and with no chems added after harvest. Brands like American Spirit are more expensive, and far from healthy, but not so unhealthy.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I think vaping is the only one that can get close to smoking and be more healthy. Then, you could try extracts, like tinctures. Edibles fuck me up pretty well, but its diferent and hard to dose for everyday life. Haveyou tried a proper extraction, where the edibles were made with butter kept cooking on low with the weed in it for hours? I usually do 6-8 hours, After 2-3 hours I see the matter just starts to show broken cell walls. So I would think anything under 4 hours extraction is limited in potency. Keeping a proper level of water in the mix at all time is also very important. To mantain temperature and clean the hydrosoluble crap in the mix.

rolandomota

Veteran
When you smoke weed with tobacco you get less high. You get a speedy feeling ....thats the towacko
I have been smoking 26 years no plans on quitting here. I smoke hard my lungs are full of phlegm I help them by coughing up the saliva.

I definitely don't feel edibles or vapes and most weed i think it sucks even high thc pretty looking weed most just doesn't do it for me it doesn't get me high enough even if pure kiff is smoked. It has to be a really special type of weed for me to say "damn I'm high this weed is strong"

So I have no choice but to keep smoking
Tolerance breaks? He'll no I can't do it I have to be forced like when the weed connection is dry I will wait to buy a quarter pound of Mexican versus buying a few grams of bullshit that won't last long

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This is the best darn throat spray in the whole wide world (unless codeine could be added):

I vape with a Volcano hybrid, and it seems to help clean my lungs because it releases the terps, which I think are solvents that can help break down the sticky oils. Problem is, the good drugs are in the oils, and a terp high doesn't last long. The oils remain in the material cause I only vape one hit, but the ABV makes good butter for edibles.

So I smoke joints cause I wanna get a buzz. Oils release in combustion temps.

Edibles are the best I believe for your health, and I get high as F with my cookies, but it is a full-body stoned high with good cerebral activity. I talk a lot on cookies fer instance.

Mr. Cactus-squatter, shoot me a PM with an address and I'll send you some cookies. I add Lechithin to the butter, which may be what you need. If these don't hit you, then you are immune to delta-11.

Last edited:

Cactus Squatter

I'm not saying edibles don't affect me, as they do, but the effect of smoking a joint, (British way with tobacco) is just so much diff, and far nicer.
But no, not vapes or any other way of using is the equivalent. Sorry. You could at least switch to a tobacco grown with no pesticides and with no chems added after harvest. Brands like American Spirit are more expensive, and far from healthy, but not so unhealthy.
I don’t use any tobacco anymore aside from a very rare cigar.

Cactus Squatter

Have you tried eating cobbed weed? Edibles don't do much for me but cobbed does.
I do frequently, but it’s extremely subtle unless I eat like a thumb sized chunk, and even then it’s so different from what I get when smoking that it isn’t a smoking replacement for me. I was really hoping it would be but so far it feels more like E trying to come on and trippy compared to the nice chill, floating relief I get smoking.

Cactus Squatter

This is the best darn throat spray in the whole wide world (unless codeine could be added):

I vape with a Volcano hybrid, and it seems to help clean my lungs because it releases the terps, which I think are solvents that can help break down the sticky oils. Problem is, the good drugs are in the oils, and a terp high doesn't last long. The oils remain in the material cause I only vape one hit, but the ABV makes good butter for edibles.

So I smoke joints cause I wanna get a buzz. Oils release in combustion temps.

Edibles are the best I believe for your health, and I get high as F with my cookies, but it is a full-body stoned high with good cerebral activity. I talk a lot on cookies fer instance.

Mr. Cactus-squatter, shoot me a PM with an address and I'll send you some cookies. I add Lechithin to the butter, which may be what you need. If these don't hit you, then you are immune to delta-11.
I use lecithin in my edibles as well.
I did a batch of chocolate about a month ago that had 10g of rosin in it. It made 2 bars the size of the big Hershey bars. I ate an entire bar and while I definitely felt it, but it was very chill compared to what it should be. A small piece of the other bar not even an inch squared absolutely obliterated a friend of mine as well as my wife.

I honestly think it’s how my metabolism functions. When I get prescribed pills I never feel them either. Usually just a little chill and a nausea wave and that’s it. Makes broken bones all sorts of entertaining to heal from.

I’ll give that spray a try on my throat and see if it helps.

Cuddles

Look up Malawi Cob curing from Tangwena. Makes the finished product smoke way better, and eating it is very interesting. To me it’s way more trippy feeling than smoking and lasts longer. My cobbed HonPan feels like E does when it comes on in little warm waves.
yeah I just googled and these are the first 2 on the list :

AND from ICmag too:

gotta do some extra reading when I find the time :)

blondie

I am somewhat in your position now. I got some mystery illness and was in rough shape a year and half ago. I quit cold turkey. Had to.... I made edibles and ate tons. At first yes hit me hard but now not so much. I keep wondering why. I wish I had an answer. One thing I’ve tried is to add the cooked material into the edibles along with whatever was extracted, in my case olive oil. It did used to bring up the strength, now not,so much. Maybe you can try. I’m also trying different strains. I know you just grew ka5h. I’m trying also. Now I’ve got s9me indica going. Good luck.

I also get talkative with edibles!

Cactus Squatter

Have you considered water pipes, shishas, or bongs - I´ve never had the chance to use them although there is a new shisha bar not too far my place and I must check it out someday.
I´ve always loved the idea of doing pot in a water pipe ;)
My daily is a triple chamber bong or a single chamber bubbler depending on if I’m at home or in the field for work. I’ve tried all sorts of water pipes, vapes (volcano, voodoo, one of those wood box ones) etc. the best I feel is when I do the first 2 chambers with cold water and the last chamber with warm/hot water. I’m always on the search for a smoother smoke.

Problem is I’ve been smoking since I was 12 and I’m in my 40s now. I maybe skipped 3-4 years of smoking in that time. Lots of touring with bands smoking and partying. Then working my last job crawling attic spaces and stuff like that breathing all the dust, glass and crap. My current job while amazing also exposes me to a lot of dust, pollen and ashes.

Cactus Squatter

I am somewhat in your position now. I got some mystery illness and was in rough shape a year and half ago. I quit cold turkey. Had to.... I made edibles and ate tons. At first yes hit me hard but now not so much. I keep wondering why. I wish I had an answer. One thing I’ve tried is to add the cooked material into the edibles along with whatever was extracted, in my case olive oil. It did used to bring up the strength, now not,so much. Maybe you can try. I’m also trying different strains. I know you just grew ka5h. I’m trying also. Now I’ve got s9me indica going. Good luck.

I also get talkative with edibles!
The KA5H is one of the few I can always feel, if it’s the right pheno of it. The Malawi leaning pheno cuts through everything and doesn’t build tolerance on me, but only when smoked. I’m actually ripping some of it right now after sweating my ass off Dancing with a pick axe all morning. It’s wonderful. But… smoking. 😂

RobFromTX

So, I have a feeling the day is coming soon where I need to stop smoking, at least at the level I do. My throat is starting to get really sensitive to inhaling smoke, and after 30+ years of smoking I’m sure my lungs could use a break. Especially considering every job I have had is also hell on the lungs with dirt, particles and glass.

The problem is… I don’t feel edibles, at all. I thought I was screwing up everything I make at home somehow, but everyone I give edibles to gets annihilated by them. Apparently they’re plenty strong. I also can’t feel the store bought edibles anymore. The only way I can feel them is by jumping up to a 1000mg chocolate bar or something like that. Even if I take a month + off from smoking/using I still don’t really feel the edibles. They used to rock me, but not in the last 10 years or so.

I tried going to Dabs thinking 1-2 hits vs a whole bowl would be better for my throat/chest, but dabs tear me up and all I feel is a rushing feeling that goes away quickly.

I don’t drink so alcohol tinctures are out.

My entire life only smoking has given me the feeling I am looking for and the relief I need. Anyone have this same issue with only smoking being effective, but needing to cut way back on the lung abuse? Got any tricks to share?
I feel ya man. I dont drink and all i do is smoke herb. But after 20 years of smoking im starting to develop allergies because of it. Ive started alternating between vaping and smoking and its definitely brought some relief, although only temporary. Edibles and dabs are not my thing, they just get me way too f**ked up, but they make some really good vapes for flower these days if your willing to do a little spending.

Cuddles

My daily is a triple chamber bong or a single chamber bubbler depending on if I’m at home or in the field for work. I’ve tried all sorts of water pipes, vapes (volcano, voodoo, one of those wood box ones) etc. the best I feel is when I do the first 2 chambers with cold water and the last chamber with warm/hot water. I’m always on the search for a smoother smoke.

Problem is I’ve been smoking since I was 12 and I’m in my 40s now. I maybe skipped 3-4 years of smoking in that time. Lots of touring with bands smoking and partying. Then working my last job crawling attic spaces and stuff like that breathing all the dust, glass and crap. My current job while amazing also exposes me to a lot of dust, pollen and ashes.
I know what you mean. I´m trying to give up smoking right now but so far it hasn´t worked out :( I have managed to cut down overall because i´ve switched to roll ups. at least I´m saving money this way...
my throat has been hurting for a couple of days - could be covid though, not sure ...

Cactus Squatter

I feel ya man. I dont drink and all i do is smoke herb. But after 20 years of smoking im starting to develop allergies because of it. Ive started alternating between vaping and smoking and its definitely brought some relief, although only temporary. Edibles and dabs are not my thing, they just get me way too f**ked up, but they make some really good vapes for flower these days if your willing to do a little spending.
I got lucky and was a tester for a couple places out here when they were developing their terpene profiles. Had vape carts out the wazoo. They actually hurt my throat and upper chest more than smoking does and I wasn’t too keen on seeing all the oil when I would exhale a vape hit through a paper towel. I also don’t trust the cleanliness of the terpenes people use after talking with a few people at the larger labs.

I make my own rosin now and use it instead of the cartridges but it still tears my throat up.

blondie

I bought this a while back and it’s quite good. If I get greedy and pack it full as fuck, I cough. If I don’t draw real hard, it’s not bad. I just picked this thing back up a month or so ago after it sat year and a half. I am vaping 2-3 week old Malawi though. Might get smoother as curing happens.

This is close to ripping a big old bong hit. You can adjust the temp if it’s burning your throat or not getting you where you want. It seems healthier than combust. If you haven’t checked it out, might be a bit of help and still get you in orbit.