What's new

What does the word outsourcing mean to you?

cashmunny

@spasticgramps

I read the whole transcript and I'm pretty sure he didn't make a forecast as to when the US would reach the tipping point of proportion of revenue devoted to debt service. That's how I found out a Rothschild was in the audience. One of the questions at the end from the audience was from the Rothschild family member.

Whether you agree or not with Dr Fergusson's points or not I think when you have the movers and shakers like that listening to you, your words have the potential to become self fulfilling prophecies.

Such a forecast would be pretty shaky though. The 20% number he proposed was tentative. As the world's reserve currency, largest military superpower, and largest economy we probably deserve the benefit of a slightly higher proportion than would say Portugal. Plus any such forecast would depend on interest rates and political developments. Although it's not that hard to forecast politics I suppose. Just bet on the most spineless thing that will get an incumbent re-elected and that's what will happen (cough...Medicare prescription drug benefit...cough). And it's a pretty good bet that interest rates are going nowhere but up.

He made several points worth pondering. One was that contrary to popular notions empires don't gradually decline, they fall off a cliff. For example the British empire went from being a world superpower to a second tier country in the space of about 10 or 20 years.

Another leading indicator he pointed to was military spending. Obviously it takes the threat of extreme violence to maintain an empire and in that regards the United States is second to none. But if budgetary restraints curtail the means to maintain that threat the empire is no longer credible and other countries will be emboldened.

I think that when you looked at what happened in the US treasury market after the Bush tax cuts were extended in congress you get a taste of what's to come vis a vis your comments about bond vigilantes. But on the other hand the Federal reserve has unlimited firepower on the buy side. It promises to be an epic battle.

I think increasingly financial markets will demand higher interest rates for US treasuries. That will accelerate us down the path towards the 20% of revenue devoted to debt service (or whatever the magic number may be). I am not a doom and gloomer however. I think it will require lower standards of living, cuts to social security, medicare, and defense spending but I think we can get back on course if we can avoid anymore crises. On the other hand I think one more war in the middle east would finish us.

My personal forecast is that when the GDP of China exceeds that of the US in 10 or 20 years, we are going to start to see cracks. It will take a while but they will have the tax base for a military buildup. They are building an aircraft carrier actually. This should worry people at least as much outsourcing because this is how you project power in the world. Hitler might have actually been a real threat if he had had a Navy. Might not be such a bad thing though to have someone else police the middle east for a change. Since their economy is as dependent on oil as ours they ought to have a nuclear powered aircraft carrier battle group patrolling the persian gulf once in a while. Share the burden.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
What's fer sure, we won't return to the good ol' days if it's not sustainable. Sustainability is what gives comfort to most. Bust and boom cycles reward the players.

That's what bust and boom is all about, a reshuffling of the deck. Winners and losers are determined by the fall of the card, not sound policy.

A

ariston

Im planning on doing as some old philosopher, Diogenes, did. Defy currency and live in absolute poverty.
Im already living off $800 a month, and quite luxuriously.
I really dont understand why humans didnt choose to live where you can easily find food, i.e. where there are a lot of wild animals and good land which produces lots of food. I remember reading how prehistoric people had tons of free time during their days, as the time to gather food and build homes took a couple of hours per day. And if you arent capable of sustain that way of living to survive, you simply cease to exist (just like everything else in nature).

Above posts talking about debts and GDP. Why do people even give a crap? Its a corrupt system, corrupt governments that we are born into and think we can change for the better. What if you simply defy its existence?

A

ariston

And yes Im really starting to question the need of a developed society, high tech electronics e.t.c. Simply because it ends up in the hands of the corrupt, and thousands of children die daily of starvation, while others die of obesity.

cashmunny

Bill Gross of PIMCO (who knows a thing or two about the bond market) is recommending that people get out of dollar denominated assets because of interest rate risk. There has been an rally of epic proportion in the bond market over the last two years. Safe haven buying coupled with quantitative easing have driven interest rates to historic lows. As that trend reverses and the economy stabilizes interest rates will go back up, treasury prices will decline, and people will sell Treasuries. And since there are so many foreign holders of Treasuries now, Treasuries are almost a proxy measure for the dollar; selling Treasuries amounts to selling the dollar.

I wonder what Bill Gross would see as a safe haven these days? TIPS maybe? Gold? Renminbi denominated assets, lol...wait

OsWiZzLe

Our only Supreme Niche in America that remains is NASA...no matter what...no other country can step to us when it comes to Space Tech... We should start getting people excited about the Sciences again and quit spending our enitre budget on outdated warfare weapons.....

We have more guns in this country per citizen then any other place on earth....we should take this problem into our own hands and overthrow the Sorry ass Federal Reserve which is owned by the Rothchilds/Rocafellers..... Come on man..does anyone think our millitary which is made of people like you and I would attack its own people? fuck no...

These old fossils that ruined the great country need to pay ...with their lives

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bill Gross of PIMCO (who knows a thing or two about the bond market) is recommending that people get out of dollar denominated assets because of interest rate risk. There has been an rally of epic proportion in the bond market over the last two years. Safe haven buying coupled with quantitative easing have driven interest rates to historic lows. As that trend reverses and the economy stabilizes interest rates will go back up, treasury prices will decline, and people will sell Treasuries. And since there are so many foreign holders of Treasuries now, Treasuries are almost a proxy measure for the dollar; selling Treasuries amounts to selling the dollar.

I wonder what Bill Gross would see as a safe haven these days? TIPS maybe? Gold? Renminbi denominated assets, lol...wait

I concur with pretty much everything you said. I just believe the consequences of said actions will quite severe. Bill Gross is still somewhat bullish about the "recovery." I can't call it a recovery until it's a self sustaining recovery minus Federal Reverse intervention. Until that point it's just on life support. Bernanke can't hold the interest rates down forever. He's only a man. Markets driven by perception always win.

cashmunny

Outsourcing means to me "Price Rollback"

I found a great quote from Sam Walton, the Wal-Mart patriarch.

he said: "I pay low wages. I can take advantage of that. We're going to be successful, but the basis is a very low-wage, low-benefit model of employment."

And Walmart is an admired company! (at least among business school graduates)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
The government TOLD the banks that they HAD to lent to subprimes. Since you can'[t just lend to BLACK subprimes, it opened up a whole can of worms...EVERYONE started getting loans thay shouldn't have gotten. Because the governments said LOAN TO THE POOR.

No, the government doesn't have the authority to do that. What happened was that Alan Greenspan as the FED Chairman encouraged banks to be more creative and come up with alternatives to traditional fixed rate mortgages. He also, while interests rates were historically low (because of him), encouraged more homebuyers to consider ARMs because of the low interest. After millions followed his advice he then began raising interest rates and that led to the ARMs adjusting up, which led to the foreclosures that collapsed the housing bubble.

Still these things were only recommendations and certainly it can be argued that when he said "creative" he didn't mean foolish. What the Government failed on was that nobody tried to stop it before it was too late. Why? Because the economy was already in trouble in post 9-11 America and the housing bubble kept the economy looking strong on paper. It was what allowed Bush to say the economy was strong in 2007.

Yes...AIG worked with the government who GUARANTEED those loans. THAT is why they WERE A+. The banks gave away money like candy with government blessing. Banks were COMPLETELY absolved from anything to do with those mortgage securities.

The government did not guarentee the loans, well not all, just the FHA loans as they always have since FHA loans were established in the 1930's. They definately didn't guarentee the mortgage backed securities which was what AIG falsely rated as A+.

The Constitution REQUIRED a natural born citizen...is it so fucking hard than to put it on fucking TV so was can ALL see it? You distrust government...yet you believe them when they tell you they "saw it"?

Why should they? Nobody has asked for such of any other President. For each President before him it was sufficient for them to show proof to Congress, which Obama has done. So why now do you feel he should have to do more then any other President before him? Why did you trust Congress for all President's prior to Obama but now you feel they're not able to make the determination and so it must now be proven to you personally? Further what the State of Hawaii issues as a birth certificate has been shown on TV and all over the internet. But because some clueless boobs think all birth certificates have the same format the notion has been put forth that what Hawaii issued was insufficient. Also it wasn't the government that I was talking about that testified to it's authenticity but rather groups like factcheck.org and other independent organizations representing both sides of the political aisle. The whole birther issue has been thoroughly debunked and the only people still thinking there is something there are either perpetually clueless or retarded.

The reason is...THEY run things. It's GOOD to be the king!

You're a dreamer...good luck with that!

Oh I know they run things and it will never happen. That's okay though, the peasents will eventually revolt and shove that cake they have and eat, up their asses. I never for once thought they would ever do what I suggest, I'm just pointing out that they could have stayed competitive that way and it wouldn't have killed the consumer's ability to consume like outsourcing does.

Latest posts

Latest posts