She was a rare thing
Fine as a beeswing
And I missher more than ever words could say
If I could just taste
All of her wildness now
If I could hold her in my arms today
Then I wouldn't want her any other way

Sweatloaf

Says Red Molly, to James, "Well that's a fine motorbike.
A girl could feel special on any such like."
Says James, to Red Molly, "My hat's off to you.
It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952.

And I've seen you on the corners and cafes, it seems.
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
And he pulled her on behind,
And down to Boxhill,
They'd Ride.

Says James, to Red Molly, "Here's a ring for your right hand.
But I'll tell you in earnest I'm a dangerous man;
For I've fought with the law since I was seventeen.
I've robbed many a man to get my Vincent machine.

And now I'm twenty-one years, I might make twenty-two.
And I don't mind dyin' but for the love of you.
But if fate should break my stride, then I'll give you my Vincent, To Ride."

"Come down Red Molly, " called Sargent McQuade.
"For they've taken young James Aidee for Armed Robbery.
Shotgun blast hit his chest, left nothing inside.
Oh, come down, Red Molly, to his dying bedside."

When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left.
He was runnin' out of road. He was runnin' out of breath.
But he smiled, to see her cry.
And said, "I'll give you my Vincent.
To Ride."

Said James, "In my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a '52 Vincent and a Redheaded girl.

Now Nortons and Indians and Greavses won't do.
Oh, they don't have a Soul like a Vincent '52."

Well he reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys.
He said, "I've got no further use...for these.
I see Angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home."

And he gave her one last kiss and died.
And he gave her his Vincent.
To Ride.

moose eater

May 24 2024

A federal three-judge appeals panel heard oral arguments from lawyers for the City of Fairbanks and Kyle Eyre on Monday in an ongoing civil lawsuit over the Dec. 24, 2017, officer-involved shooting death of 20-year-old Fairbanks resident Cody Eyre.

Monday’s oral arguments centered on an appeal filed in response to a February 2023 decision by Alaska District Court Judge Sharon Gleason, which denied a request that officers have qualified immunity due to their status as public servants conducting their job.

According to court documents, Eyre was walking along the Steese Highway, was under the influence of alcohol, armed with a .22 pistol and suffering from depression when he was approached by Alaska State Troopers and Fairbanks police officers.

According to court documents, Eyre refused commands to stop and put down his handgun. Officers continued to follow him and eventually seven officers opened fire after Eyre refused to comply with orders and issued a verbal threat.

According to a brief filed in January by Kyle Eyre, Cody Eyre’s father, Cody, an Alaska Native man, was going through a mental health crisis and was threatening suicide. His family called 9-1-1 to ask the police to perform a welfare check and then followed him.

Eyre’s parents told the News-Miner in December 2022 that Eyre was worried about a job search, his relationship and meeting enlistment requirements for the Alaska Air National Guard.

Four Alaska State Troopers and two Fairbanks police officers responded to the scene near Birch Hill Cemetery. An armored police vehicle had also been dispatched but was still en route when the shooting occurred.

Troopers Elondre Johnson, Nathaniel Johnson, James Thomas and Christine Joslin, and Fairbanks police officers Tyler Larimer and Richard Sweet, are all named in the suit.

Body camera footage worn by officers recorded some of the events of the shooting incident.

The officers said that Eyre pointed his gun at them, prompting the decision to shoot Eyre. Family members have contended officers kept on shooting at Eyre even after he fell to the ground. The family sued for the excessive and wrongful death of Eyre.

Court documents state that all officers fired except for Nathaniel Johnson, who claimed his hands were too numb to operate his firearm.

Some of the officers believed Eyres was still moving and promptly fired a second round of shots, according to court documents.

According to court documents, officers fired as many as 40 rounds at Eyre. Eyre was hit 12 times, with one bullet grazing his arm, 10 striking his lower body and the 12th fatally striking him in the back of the head.

The family filed the civil lawsuit in U.S. District Court in 2019, but the city sought to dismiss the case based on qualified immunity.

Alaska District Court Judge Sharon Gleason denied the request last year and the city appealed to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

The Eyre estate filed a brief in the Ninth Circuit in January that argued that the initial volley was unnecessary because he didn’t pose a threat, and even if he did, officers did not provide sufficient warning.

Oral arguments

During Monday’s oral arguments in Anchorage, City Attorney Zane Wilson argued that Eyre was a sudden and immediate threat to officers.

“The facts of this case is that we had an individual who was armed, intoxicated and suicidal and heading to his ex-girlfriend’s house,” Wilson said.

Collin Reeves, the attorney for Cody Eyre’s family, argued that the officers continued firing after Eyre was no longer a clear threat.

“When someone has been brought to the ground and they are incapacitated, officers must stop and reassess the situation,” Reeves said.

According to Gleason’s 2023 ruling, Eyre “repeatedly told the responding officers that he was ‘not going to shoot [them]’ and that he ‘[didn’t] want to hurt any of [them.]’

However, Eyre still refused to drop his firearm, according to Gleason’s ruling.
  • Officers’ accounts of his gestures differ, but testified that Eyre said “[you] guys can fing die right now and I don’t give a f.”
Federal Judge Michelle Friedland asked on Monday why a jury could not decide on the merits of the arguments.

“There is clearly established law that says if people are down and don’t have a firearm, they can’t shoot him anymore,” Friedland said. “Is that not the fact that is in dispute that occurred before the end of the shooting?”

Wilson said it was ironic officers were faulted for trying to keep Eyre inside the area of their patrol vehicle lights and then didn’t have a clear idea of what he would do.

“It’s 10 below, they are quite a distance away from him, there’s smoke and heat and all these things going on that obscure people’s visions,” Wilson said. He added that there was sufficient reason for officers to believe Eyre was still a threat even after he went down.

“The undisputed evidence is that he was some distance away and their vision was obstructed by the cold weather combined with the discharge of the firearms,” Wilson said.

Wilson said officers could have slightly different perceptions of the event because they were spread out and that even if one officer saw Eyre was down didn’t mean others could. But the common agreement, he said, was that all seven officers perceived Eyre as a threat.

“You have the right as an officer to continue shooting until you know the threat has been neutralized,” Wilson said.

Friedland said both the audio of the incident and depositions from shooting officers indicate that Eyre was down and no longer had his firearm before officers stopped shooting.

“If the jury believes that testimony, then I don’t see how you could win,” Friedland said.
Judge Jay Bybee asked both attorneys which officers fired their weapons during a first and second salvo, followed by a third volley and a final, single shot.

Reeves said it wasn’t clear who fired which shots but added the family’s attorneys filed a brief that breaks down the salvos.

“Cody was not trying to get up, and the video and testimony show that,” Reeves said. “But the video is not that very clear.”

Reeves later noted that two officers saw Eyre on the ground.

Judge Jay Bybee cited testimony from one officer who claimed he fired because Eyre rolled over but still had his handgun and believed it could be used.

“It’s pretty straightforward,” Bybee said.

Reeves countered that testimony by five other officers offered conflicted accounts, including three who claimed Eyre was still standing near the end of the shooting.

“A jury could look at that, the video and the physical evidence and simply decide to not find those [testimonies] credible,” Reeves said.

Reeves later said that officers lumped all four volleys into a single incident “and then relied on the immediacy of the threat before the first set of shots.”

The three-judge panel will decide on the city’s appeal. If the panel denies the appeal, the case could head to a jury trial.

Last edited:

Sweatloaf

I first saw you
You had on blue jeans
Your eyes couldn't hide anything
I saw you breathin' oh
I saw you starin' out in space

I next saw you
You was at the party
Thought you was a queen
Oh so flirty
I came against