What's new

What does the word outsourcing mean to you?

Grimr3efer

I have abolished this word and I give it its true meaning. The new words for this one words is -taking your job and giving it to foreigners while the man gets paid and you are swept away like a piece of dust sourcing- Its happening everyday... Too many of us loosing... Time to PUSH THAT Corporate HAND AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOTTA PUSH THAT HAND AWAY!! PUSH IT!!! WE WILL SURVIVE WITH OUT YOUR CORPORATION!!!
:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

ibjamming

Veteran
WE WILL SURVIVE WITH OUT YOUR CORPORATION!!!
:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

Actually...80% of you won't.

I feel your pain...and I TRIED to stop it in 1992 when I voted for Ross Perot...but alas...others knew better than I and calmer heads prevailed...

You think things are bad now? Wait until "austerity" kicks in..."we must ALL do with less in order to survive as a nation"...as they continue to jet set around the world attending premiers and private parties.

Man...I'm negative today...must have been the shitty presents...where's the fucking bong I told you I wanted?!?! The ONLY thing I mentioned...!!! j/k

Outsourcing is specializing. You do ONE thing, everything else is handled outside. It sucks when a COUNTRY get's "outsourced". Gotta love that "service" or "consumer" economy now! Who talked us all into that mess??? It just proves my point all along...government lies to us...all the time...so that the rich and powerful can obtain what they want...screw the people...the peasants!

Every day, throughout our lives we're manipulated by professionals into thinking a certain way, wanting this or that, hating this or that...all to get you to work and consume...and remain divided. You are weak when divided.

Enough ranting for today...it's Christmas...I'll give you a break today. Gotta go out and socialize...

I

Iron_Lion

A few years ago I literally packed up and outsourced my own job and the jobs of hundreds others at the same time. At the time I thought nothing of it because the country was booming and cheap Indian and Chinese labor seemed like a great idea. A few years later I see the aftermath when we close factories and sell all of our manufacturing jobs to the lowest bidder, now the only products we have to sell are over priced and inferior in quality.

Its ok tho, I am hopeful that my country will find a new signature product to produce and export, perhaps it will be marijuana someday.

DainBramage

It means the end of the middle class dream, it means give back's and concessions in the name of profits ,having to do more for less It means the rich will have even more people to do their bidding.

supermanlives

Veteran
it means, when i call customer service i end up talking to some guy in india that i cant understand very well

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yep, manufacturing isn't what it used to be. I used to be in industrial sales, was laid off 3 times due to:

1980s - efficiency experts - These bozos almost immediately decided they needed me back... and offered the same salary I entered the company 4 years previous.

1990s - hostile takeover - Employees were happy to learn the "good guys" had bought us and wouldn't liquidate. Then the "good guys" laid us off.

2000 - outsourcing - That's right, our international, capital-equipment and machinery manufacturer now consists of a website and e-order form for the entire western hemisphere.

I used to spend hours on end expediting with headquarters (Germany), interfacing with domestic customers and communicating priorities. Customers borrowed money based on delivery. Now they're just a number. NEWSFLASH, (admin) productivity is up but sales and share price are down... duh!

gingerale

Veteran
It means a transition period where recent advances in transportation and communications technologies are having profound effects on the layout and function of our industries and economy as a whole, with the overall move being towards greater efficiency. It is yet another aspect of the massive period of change modern society is currently undergoing due to numerous technological advances made over the past 30 years.

Just like any other time of massive change and upheaval, there are bound to be scores of people who are displaced and affected adversely. Jobs are going to move elsewhere or be lost entirely. The cheap ass products we are currently dealing with from China are to be expected, and we can also expect these problems to improve over time. Remember when Japan used to turn out crap products? How about Taiwan? China is just the latest country in the cycle.

The ONLY alternative to this era of progress is to stand with our heads stuck in the sand and refuse to participate. This will save some of those manufacturing jobs, and give people a little more stability, at the expense of us being surpassed by 3rd world and other less well-to-do nations.... who are not quite as spoiled as us, not quite as complacent, and are more willing to do what it takes to succeed without bitching about how tough life is. For every steel worker or assembly line grunt crying endless about losing his job in the midst of change, there's 1,000 Afghans who deal with 10x worse conditions every day, and who'd just about kill to have the opportunities that worker enjoys simply from being an American citizen. The world stands still for no-one.

In this world, change is the only constant. Those who are prepared to embrace and accept change, to roll with the times, to adapt and overcome, are the ones who will survive and prosper. The rest will bitch and moan endlessly about how unfair life is because they were the ones who were too inflexible to adapt, or too stupid to realize they needed to. Natural selection is cruel. Oh I'm sorry, were you under the impression that natural selection doesn't apply to American citizens? Sorry to inform you--you're wrong. You aren't promised a damn thing in this country, other than freedom and opportunity, both of which are abundant here. (Which is why so many people risk their lives every year to come here.) You think you're the only person in the world who's ever been screwed by circumstances? How'd you like to live in Somalia, or Ethiopia? Let's get a grip, America, and move towards the future together, instead of trying to keep America frozen in time so that the buggy whip manufacturers can be safe and secure in their jobs.

Flame suit on. Fire at all.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Flame suit on. Fire at all.
I wouldn't flame you, bro. Your perspective is welcome and valued.

I won't lie and suggest that people don't expect the growth they're used to. When it comes to mortgaging our lifestyles, these expectations aren't sound.

But the top income earners are people too. Their own greed has seen their incomes average 400x the average wage earner, biggest disparity since the 1920s. Yet lobbyists for top income earners are more numerous than ever, seeking tax shelters, reduced taxes, less regulation, yada yada.

I don't blame these guys for bitching about 91% tax rates at a time unions were strong. But top executives were only averaging 20x the average wage earner then. Our economic formula needs balance, not opposing ends of the political scale.

These days, employment upheaval happens too sudden and too severe. Business is beginning to realize at least some of the pitfalls in global manufacturing. With any luck, we might see some of our work force rematerialized. After all, US business is sitting on close to $2 trillion, more money to invest than ever. Didn't the taxpayer bail some of these executives out of their own quicksand?

These businesses could take advantage of large pools of unemployed US workers. I'm not waving the nationalistic flag, it's just economics. But rolling the dice might lower share prices and future business expectations. But that's only the pessimistic outlook. Isn't America known for innovation?

Come on, 2%ers. YOU CAN DOO IT.:)

There's such a thing as making our business moguls too elevated to risk the dollar they were readily investing domestically 30 years ago. Now they're rich enough to hold back and we're not at the party. Any more, returns have to be bubble proportion to draw investment attention.

We gave these guys 30 years of incentives. IMO, they owe us the benefit of the trickle-down they promised and we never got. Adjusted for inflation, 3 decades of wages for everybody have remained stagnant when compared to the top 2%.

We've already got the "Rent Is Too Damn High" party. I envision the "We Need Balance" party.:D

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is the great leveler. The US's standard of living is going to continue to plummet as a result of moving virtually all of manufacturing jobs offshore. The so-called "service economy" is following - thus the tech support folks that you cannot understand. As a result of our losses, the third world countries are rising. Our populace is too damn lazy and poorly educated to compete against a bunch of hungry, motivated people who understand that education is key. And while I agree that the only alternative is to close our borders to imports, I don't agree that the result of that would be our economy being surpassed by third-world countries. That is already happening. This country has the manpower, the natural resources, and the technology base to pretty well exclude the rest of the world from our pocketbooks, but few people are willing to pay for tennis shoes made with American labor. The last couple of generations have no experience with saving up for purchases of products that are made well enough to be handed down. I repaired my girlfriend's microwave oven a couple of weeks ago, and even the counter person at the electrical wholesaler's couldn't believe that I would fix it rather than buy a new one. Ultimately, it will raise the standard of living for the rest of the world. Ours, however, will never be the same.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What does the word outsourcing mean to you?

it means that I'll be talking to Veejay again about the discrepancy in my credit card bill.......

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Outsourcing is a natural progression and if you're fucked, I'm sorry but it's because you're unable to adapt.

This is like when Cargill took over the food business and pissed a lot of farmers off. It sucks for many people, but it's hard not to see it coming. Where do you think we're headed now? Think about it... the people who think and are creative will be rich no matter what the situation.

Why don't YOU start a company and hire Indians and Mexicans to work for beans? Hell, have mexicans run a grow op for you if you'd like. You'd never have to show your face. Or get a group of dudes in India to program something for you that you can present to US clients as "made in America!" making double what you pay your men in India. Outsourcing is great. Be creative.

Outsourcing is extremely important to the US economy. You really think a lot of big companies can afford to stay in business w/o cheap labor? Ban outsourcing and then let's see who's complaining when Levi is charging $100 for a regular pair of jeans made in the US, and food prices sky rocket when Mexican labor gets deported. Who's gonna pay for employee compensation, higher wages, benefits and so on? the consumer.. good luck trying to pay for anything with your low wage job that would have probably been outsourced.

I HIGHLY suggest the book "A Whole New Mind" - It will change your views on outsourcing. It talks about the types of jobs that WILL be outsourced, "left brain jobs" including accounting, doctors (did you know a lot of your X rays and cat scans are read by Indian doctors overseas?), engineers, programming etc. It also talks about the jobs that will NEVER be outsourced, "right brain abstract thinking jobs" such as positions that involve creativity and social skills.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
Outsourcing is when a breeder finds some parent plants and then has all his seed stock grown by somone else in Spain... like that you mean?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Outsourcing is a natural progression and if you're fucked, I'm sorry but it's because you're unable to adapt.

This is like when Cargill took over the food business and pissed a lot of farmers off. It sucks for many people, but it's hard not to see it coming. Where do you think we're headed now? Think about it... the people who think and are creative will be rich no matter what the situation.

Why don't YOU start a company and hire Indians and Mexicans to work for beans? Hell, have mexicans run a grow op for you if you'd like. You'd never have to show your face. Or get a group of dudes in India to program something for you that you can present to US clients as "made in America!" making double what you pay your men in India. Outsourcing is great. Be creative.

Outsourcing is extremely important to the US economy. You really think a lot of big companies can afford to stay in business w/o cheap labor? Ban outsourcing and then let's see who's complaining when Levi is charging $100 for a regular pair of jeans made in the US, and food prices sky rocket when Mexican labor gets deported. Who's gonna pay for employee compensation, higher wages, benefits and so on? the consumer.. good luck trying to pay for anything with your low wage job that would have probably been outsourced.

I HIGHLY suggest the book "A Whole New Mind" - It will change your views on outsourcing. It talks about the types of jobs that WILL be outsourced, "left brain jobs" including accounting, doctors (did you know a lot of your X rays and cat scans are read by Indian doctors overseas?), engineers, programming etc. It also talks about the jobs that will NEVER be outsourced, "right brain abstract thinking jobs" such as positions that involve creativity and social skills.

Let's pretend, shall we?

I could take your advice or I could pool all my (and friends) billions. Buy whatever I want. Put whoever I want out of business. Leveraged buyouts, hostile takeovers, underpricing mom and pop until they croak...

maybe all the losers can benefit from your advice

Now here's what I call using the ol' innovative noodle. I can stack the deck, deal from the bottom and scarf the till, all in a day's work. If I get in trouble I can throw enough campaign money at lawmakers and never serve a day in prison.:D

What about having to pay hundreds of millions in fines and penalties because I ruin the environment, promote workplace danger and poison the public?

Doesn't matter, my lobbyists will make sure that shelters, loopholes and the lowest tax rate possible will make up the diff and more. Life is good at the top. That's because we rigged it to bubble for the players and bust for the masses.:dance013:

Hell. Last year, I didn't pay a dime in taxes and got $173 million back from the taxpayer! That's only after they bailed me out in '08! I guess the little guy will have to make up the disparity or they and/or the whole country will take a crap.

I'd better stay 110% vigilant accumulating more (personal) wealth because I need to be flush when the sh!t hits the fan.:) I could have stifled my lobbyists and did my part to contribute to sound economic policy. But all this money messed up my head and it's all I can think about. Besides, all my 1%er piers are raping the party, I better get every dime I can before they take it all from ME!

Back to reality....

Everybody adapts. Those of us who adapt more often than average have every right to bitch and moan. Then we adapt some more, it's America.

G

Guest50138

Outsourcing for me mean that when I ring my Telco to report my phone not working (we were flooded) from the nearest public phone 40k away ,they say shit like .have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in then when pressing them for a time the tec guy is coming they told me to "Go home sir and we will ring you with an appointment time" yeah right ring me on my broken phone you fucken retard...then the more abusive you get with them there accent become thicker and they sound like their having a good old time winding you up...not a fan of the outsourcing at all :gday:

C

Classy@Home

Here in Canada, it means that a Canadian company no longer employs Canadians to help their Canadian customers.

It means that foreigners, who don't speak English, will be my only line of communication with a company that provides a service to me.

Bell Canada was hit with a $1.3 million dollar fine because their Indi/Paki call centres were harassing Canadian customers with phone calls, even though the customers had specifically registered their phone numbers with the DO NOT CALL registery (that Bell was being PAID to administer). Even the customers that had called Bell and asked to be "Not Called" were being called - and the Indi/Paki callers would just hang up when the customers (customers, not cold calls) started to explain why they shouldn't be called.

I know - I dropped Bell as my phone provider earlier this year because of this exact problem. I called Bell customer service - spoke w/ someone in Phillipines, asked that I not get anymore calls from Indian call centre. The calls increased, each time they denied any knowledge of DO NOT CALL system, and sometimes swore at me or just hung up...

They would call me as late a 10:00 on a Sunday evening - but Bells customer service line is only open Mon to Fri during Bank hours.

Their English was spotty at best, but their command of English would drop BELOW zero if I asked to speak w/ supervisor, asked for their employee id / name, or asked them to plse stop calling me.

Even when I called to cancel my service - the Indi/Paki that I spoke w/ could barely process my request, was insistent that I give him my "new phone number" for their files (I told him to go F* himself), and kept trying to have me NOT cancel w/ threats of extra "cancel" fees, and threats of phone wire issues costing me big bucks (again I told him to F* himself). Now I have a credit on my account, and I can't get anyone on the phone to issue credit cheque (and I block my new phone # everytime I call, which pisses them right off).

Outsourcing is a form of rape - you pay for this, and they give you that.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
...then the more abusive you get with them there accent become thicker and they sound like their having a good old time winding you up...not a fan of the outsourcing at all :gday:

Oh man, that's possibly the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. Thank, very oldman. I don't think there's a single culture that wouldn't get a chuckle from your comment. Probably because it's true!:)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Here in Canada, it means that a Canadian company no longer employs Canadians to help their Canadian customers.

It means that foreigners, who don't speak English, will be my only line of communication with a company that provides a service to me.

Bell Canada was hit with a $1.3 million dollar fine because their Indi/Paki call centres were harassing Canadian customers with phone calls, even though the customers had specifically registered their phone numbers with the DO NOT CALL registery (that Bell was being PAID to administer). Even the customers that had called Bell and asked to be "Not Called" were being called - and the Indi/Paki callers would just hang up when the customers (customers, not cold calls) started to explain why they shouldn't be called.

I know - I dropped Bell as my phone provider earlier this year because of this exact problem. I called Bell customer service - spoke w/ someone in Phillipines, asked that I not get anymore calls from Indian call centre. The calls increased, each time they denied any knowledge of DO NOT CALL system, and sometimes swore at me or just hung up...

They would call me as late a 10:00 on a Sunday evening - but Bells customer service line is only open Mon to Fri during Bank hours.

Their English was spotty at best, but their command of English would drop BELOW zero if I asked to speak w/ supervisor, asked for their employee id / name, or asked them to plse stop calling me.

Even when I called to cancel my service - the Indi/Paki that I spoke w/ could barely process my request, was insistent that I give him my "new phone number" for their files (I told him to go F* himself), and kept trying to have me NOT cancel w/ threats of extra "cancel" fees, and threats of phone wire issues costing me big bucks (again I told him to F* himself). Now I have a credit on my account, and I can't get anyone on the phone to issue credit cheque (and I block my new phone # everytime I call, which pisses them right off).

Outsourcing is a form of rape - you pay for this, and they give you that.

And once you're gone, ya can't come back... :headbange