What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Watching Right Now Pt II.......

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
vice principals, s1e4.
where the VPs accidentally spill lsd on their skin
and the world begins to look a little different
AF84903A-77CB-437C-93B9-C9D1163EAA49.jpeg

they play donovan’s happy hippy
ditty over the closing credits,
a song i’d long forgotten about

moose eater

The Best Way to Field Dress a Moose in Alaska in under 30 minutes - YouTube

22 minutes 34 seconds

Fellow claiming to be able to field-dress a (smaller, spike fork) bull moose in under 30 minutes.

I think he's exagerating re. the time involved, but his technique is similar to ours, and it's pretty efficient. We've done many moose, and with 2 of us with substantial experience, we've never done a moose in anywhere near close to that time.

*If pics or videos of harvesting fresh meat is offensive to you, please don't watch this video.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

moose eater

if you have it hanging head-up, and have good knives & a stick to hold the ribcage apart, (and don't cut off a few of your own fingers) it should be doable. gravity is your friend. i bet i could do it, if only i had a few moose to practice on! 😀

There's folks who commonly process road-kill moose for folks on the charity meat list the Troopers maintain. Some of them have had special (snowmobile tilt) trailers rigged with a davit(s), along with block and tackle or winches to pull a whole moose up onto the deck of the trailer, to take elsewhere for processing (in their case, the primary issues being to A.) Get off the side of the highway/road, to lessen the risk of getting struck by poorly-skilled drivers, and B.) to get the thing (hopefully) into a barn or garage with a tall ceiling, in order to suspend the moose from block and tackle in a more controlled and better-lit environment.

With a larger bull ranging (live, on the hoof) from 1,200 lbs., on up to nearly 2,000 lbs. in extreme cases (not seen anywhere near me in a long while), managing the thing becomes a hassle without proper equipment. The days back in the Mid-West, of putting a whitetail deer up on a buck pole and slitting down the belly to allow nature and gravity to help in the cleaning, doesn't work well without a lot of prep.

And moose are rumenants, menaing, as you're aware, they have 7 chambers in their stomach; when they sit unprocessed after death, they expand.... and expabnd... and expand.. And the results are/can be horrid

We've planned to take fresh multi-material blades and a battery operated Sawz-All with us many times, but I always end up scrapping it, taking my Stanley 'Short-cut' saw (double-rowed fine teeth, tapered blade, and a variety of handles, though for packability I use the one with what's very similar to a keyhole saw handle), and we use that to sever the hocks,. back/neck/brisket in 2 places and the ribs.

His knife in the video was very sharp (a $220 Cutco hunting knife; looked at 'em.... no thanks..), and he kept accidentally cutting through the hide as he was skinning. He then used those accidental cuts as 'grab points' for pulling the hide back as he removed the skin, which we do, but our penetrations are typically purposeful (some of the difference in his time and our's, I'm sure). And watching him whip that razor-sharp knife around at the speed that he does, left me wondering how many fingers he still has intact.

moose eater

'Into the White' on Prime Video (actually watched it last night, not tonight). In my opinion, and that of my wife, an awesome movie. Recommended.

buzzmobile

Veteran
'Into the White' on Prime Video (actually watched it last night, not tonight). In my opinion, and that of my wife, an awesome movie. Recommended.

Added to Watchlist.

We watched The Rescue last night. It's a documentary about the Thai soccer team that was rescued from a flooded cave. I had followed the story when it was developing, but I had no idea the complexity of how the team was brought out. It's on Disney+.
https://films.nationalgeographic.com/the-rescue

Green Squall

Himalaya Calling - Overland to the highest passes in the world.

It's an interesting German travel-documentary about a motorcycle trip into India.

"Imagine getting on your bike and just riding off. To India. Overland. Ahead of you lie thousands of miles of uncertainty, while home fades into the distance. A crazy idea? Maybe. A mega-adventure? Absolutely! Erik and Alain were up to the challenge. Both of them are masters at escaping their comfort zone. But this trip has a lot of surprises in store even for the saddle-sure adventurers."

Maybe Hermanthegerman has heard of it?

shithawk420

Veteran
Man I would love to ride the German country with you guys.i heard Albert Hofmann invented LSD an took a bike ride.must of been bliss

Latest posts

Latest posts