What's new

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

shithawk420

Veteran
Pretty sure I asked a similar question a year or two moose.im still impressed you can grow such a wide variety of vegetables and other.i remember you had an impressive potato variety going on.heirlooms or something? Pretty damn pathetic when you can grow up there and all people here are impressed when they see a tomato that's not even an heirloom.i blame the pesticides and herbicides.im smack dab in the middle of the corn and soybean capital.pretty sure that's why my bees swarmed 12 years ago.guess I didn't mention I'm a certified bee keeper.not that means anything.but I know more than most.if you haven't seen it watch Ulees gold with Peter Fonda.good movie.only saw it once.have to watch it again.

Made a Mexican pizza if you wanna call it that.im getting rusty.only got an electric skillet though

shithawk420

Veteran
Very nice pics art.something tells me the yellow stuff is really spicy.i would appreciate it if you could elaborate on what that meal is.i know absolutely nothing about Ethiopian cuisine

M

moose eater

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61278&pictureid=1986786" target="_blank">View Image Pretty sure I asked a similar question a year or two moose.im still impressed you can grow such a wide variety of vegetables and other.i remember you had an impressive potato variety going on.heirlooms or something? Pretty damn pathetic when you can grow up there and all people here are impressed when they see a tomato that's not even an heirloom.i blame the pesticides and herbicides.im smack dab in the middle of the corn and soybean capital.pretty sure that's why my bees swarmed 12 years ago.guess I didn't mention I'm a certified bee keeper.not that means anything.but I know more than most.if you haven't seen it watch Ulees gold with Peter Fonda.good movie.only saw it once.have to watch it again.

Made a Mexican pizza if you wanna call it that.im getting rusty.only got an electric skillet though

If you can eat that well on an electric griddle, 'hawk, you're doing pretty well.

There's others who frequent this thread who can tell you lots about what I'd term 'spent crop lands', and some of the causes; limited returns due to several issues.

We do organics in the veggie garden here, but many organics expend their load at different times, and we don't measure as closely with the veggies or spuds as we do with ganja, I can assure you there's been times I had to divide beds to dilute them after a number of years, or let them settle down for a while, before re-fertilizing.

We've run as many as 7 varieties of spuds at once. I think last year there were only 3 or 4. Of everything we typically grow, that was the hardest not to plant this year. Seemed a betrayal of my heritage. Impoverished Irish, Scots and others survived decades of suffering, often with little more to eat than a potato crop and some variety of wild game.

Favorites are French Fingerling, German Butterball, and lately, Sangre'. But others have been very good, too.

Dinner tonight was fried (good quality) golden potatoes with ground moose, in a hash, with chopped sweet onions, chopped carrots, chopped red sweet bell pepper, chopped Anaheim peppers, turmeric root, lots of garlic, black pepper, sage, touch of thyme, sea salt, & smoked paprika.

For my younger son's and my servings, we added some Sambal Olek Vietnamese pepper paste, and some green jalapeno sauce to it. My wife burned out on spicy food during a stint in Korea in the early 1980s.

Dense winter food. Too much was consumed for the amount of activity here today. Enough left-overs for another full meal tomorrow.

In the midst of a winter weather advisory, so snow has been fairly steady, though broke for a bit earlier today. Town & errands tomorrow.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61278&pictureid=1986786&thumb=1]View Image[/url] Pretty sure I asked a similar question a year or two moose.im still impressed you can grow such a wide variety of vegetables and other.i remember you had an impressive potato variety going on.heirlooms or something? Pretty damn pathetic when you can grow up there and all people here are impressed when they see a tomato that's not even an heirloom.i blame the pesticides and herbicides.im smack dab in the middle of the corn and soybean capital.pretty sure that's why my bees swarmed 12 years ago.guess I didn't mention I'm a certified bee keeper.not that means anything.but I know more than most.if you haven't seen it watch Ulees gold with Peter Fonda.good movie.only saw it once.have to watch it again.

That looks pretty savory shithawk, my grandpa used to make his own type of deep dish pizza with homemade dough and all the works. He always insisted that it must have sausage in it or it isn't a pizza, and not just any sausage... Bob Evan's sausage. He grew up in a tiny town in the sticks and his family recipe for sausage was brought over from Germany by his grandparents. Said that Bob's sausage was the closest thing you could buy in the store compared to what he grew up with. He couldn't remember the exact recipe before he passed but mentioned the secret to a good sausage mix was also adding vegetables too instead of simply meat and spices. Going to have make one of his pizzas soon, brings back memories.

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks for answering the question I was going to ask moose.i love potatoes.im gonna have to try and find those.Russet,Yukon and Red is basically all you see around here.are those purple potatoes any good? I'd imagine the have vitamins and minerals other potatoes don't And I envy you that you can still eat all those peppers and spicy things.i have to take stomach pills or I'd writhe in pain.

That very interesting JST.i never imagined Bob Evans would be close to German Sausage.my grandma and I always liked Tennessee Pride hot sausage.its the best sausage I've had from a store.soory he couldn't pass the recepi.stuff like that makes me very sad.lots of great recepis lost that way.if you could make a similar pizza if be very interested to see it. I'm always willing to see different homemade versions of stuff you won't see everyday especially old ones

M

moose eater

Thanks for answering the question I was going to ask moose.i love potatoes.im gonna have to try and find those.Russet,Yukon and Red is basically all you see around here.are those purple potatoes any good? I'd imagine the have vitamins and minerals other potatoes don't And I envy you that you can still eat all those peppers and spicy things.i have to take stomach pills or I'd writhe in pain.

We've grown 2 purple varieties, 'hawk. Purple Viking (?) and Purple Majesty(?), if I recall correctly. The texture of the flesh was typically nothing to brag about; closer to a russet; more pulp-like, flakey, less flavor or starch. BUT, one of those 2 purple varieties is supposed to be the highest, or among the highest, in anti-oxidant content.

Yukon Gold are good, but there are better gold spuds for starch content and flavor, texture, and all-around use; frying, mashing, boiling, cold in salads, etc. Those include the German Butterball, Nicola, and Carola. But we've grown Yukon Gold, too, and they produce pretty well, and eat good..

The Sangre' are a red-skinned spud, with white flesh, but the ones we've had are fairly sweet, nice texture, and PRODUCTIVE in our climate. One commercial organic spud farmer I knew here didn't like them simply because the runners/roots are quite strong, clinging together, and the spuds often/sometimes floating off the rear of the harvester with the waste. Other than for that, he liked them as well.

We didn't have that trouble with them. Our 'harvester' is a shovel and 2 hands. :)

Just had a bowl of last night's dinner; the aforementioned moose hash. This time with a bit of reduced sugar catsup, and some green jalapeno sauce.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
normally we do, 'hawk.

This year we didn't even plant our sacred potatoes.

The only plants in the main veggie garden this year were strawberries, wild raspberries (to compliment the larger domestic raspberries out back in my wife's giant raspberry 'arbor'), chives, the occasional bok choy ( which came up from last year's plants that had apparently gone to seed; impressed me quiet a bit), and some very happy, larger sunflower plants that were the result of black oily sunflower seeds, re-deposited/planted by the birds and squirrels that frequent my son's bird feeder out there.

On a normal year, with more energy, etc., we grown scarlet nantes carrots (the older variety, not the coreless), a variety of lettuce, LOTS of really good starchy spuds, beets of 2 varieties, bok choy, giant purple top rutabegas, tomatoes, various summer squash, lots of several varieties of broccoli, some varieties of cauliflower, lots of snow peas, various shorter-season bush beans, radishes, and probably some things I'm not remembering right now.

If you search for it on Google, etc., many giant veggie competitions are won up here and elsewhere by Alaskan produce. I want to say that this year's winning pumpkin down at the Palmer State Fair was over a ton, but I can't recall the exact weight, and my memory may be letting me down.

Isn't that BountyTea guy with all the world records up there?

Btw, does that stuff work on weed?

M

moose eater

Isn't that BountyTea guy with all the world records up there?

Btw, does that stuff work on weed?

Can't recall his name, but yeah, he's down near the Mat-Su or Big Lake/Willow area, if I recall correctly. He does compost teas, I think with Alaska humus; high in Humic/Fulvic acid(s).

For their Alaska humus tea mixes, they provide 2 different nutrient versions for the microbes, depending on crops. I have both here (trees & ornamentals versus veggies, if I recall), but rarely use more than a small amount when I add humus to my bat guano teas, along with some EM-1, and later, at time of 'serving', some 5-1-1 fish emulsion and kelp meal extract..

I think the fellow you're referring to (is it Jeff Lowenfeld, or something like that?) writes occasional gardening columns for the Anchorage Daily News.

Green Squall

We've grown 2 purple varieties, 'hawk. Purple Viking (?) and Purple Majesty(?), if I recall correctly. The texture of the flesh was typically nothing to brag about; closer to a russet; more pulp-like, flakey, less flavor or starch. BUT, one of those 2 purple varieties is supposed to be the highest, or among the highest, in anti-oxidant content.

I grew Purple Majesty back in 2016. Don't remember much about them except they lost their color when boiled and came out kind of deformed. I mostly chose them for the novelty.

picture.php

rod58

the cupboard is mostly bare until shopping day ! :)
had the last of the baked beans and half a strip of woolies bacon plus some toasted sourdough .
i'm growing those purple spuds now for the first time squall and was hoping for great things . apparently not , unless they're good for roasting ?

Green Squall

Its not uncommon for them to slightly lose their color when boiled. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed them and I'm sure you will too. I generally prefer baking/roasting potatoes unless I'm making a stew or something. I'll even occasionally nuke one in the microwave for a quick meal.

Canna-bill

The purple potatoes we have here are Rooster variety, red skin and yellow flesh, they are a great all rounder. They are a relatively new variety, bred here in Ireland I think in the late 90's.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
skillet-browned kielbasa slices with crushed pineapple chunks & brown sugar, and a huge pot of chili with chopped green peppers & onions in there...and a small milkshake. i'm on a diet, doncha know...:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts