What's new

Weed Wars: New show on Discovery

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Whoa! all you haters take a look at the other reality show "The Dispensary - Pilot Episode ". It's on youtube.
Anyone with a California Rec needs to speak up here and admit that very few places are as professional as Harborside.
This is about the only dispensary I've visited with pre-weighed bud that is turned over fast enough to be fresh.
All the bags that I've bought there have been quality. The grams at HS are priced a dollar over the the gram price in an eight, not $20 or $25 like you see at many places.
this is real compassion to a patient like me who want's to try new strains a gram at a time.

I've visited shops from OC to Humbolt and I've only visited a few that displayed the level of compassion I found at Harborside. I think they do a better job than you see in this first program.

Also to set the facts straight Steve DeAngelo was opposed to Oaklands plan to permit 4 massive city licensed grows....on the grounds that it would be bad for small growers.
After the city began taking applications for the program Harborside applied for one of the permits however.

I feel like there is something that bothers me about how the public might see us as we are handling the medicine. I think it looks bad to have the bald dude standing in the closet with his head bumping into the hanging buds,
and all the "stick your head in the bag to smell the weed" shots. It's a conundrum because smelling before you buy is important, it just looks bad.

OK, I will hate on one thing about harborsides business model, I hate the open petri dish with the bud drying out in front of the sticker with the %'s on it.
I'm always wondering what happens to all that weed sitting there unwrapped in all those cases.... seems like a waste to me.

I'm always happy to see a positive program on the tube about MMJ and I think that this one has lots of potential. I'm grateful for activists like Steve.

mrflamboynt

"NatGeoChannel National Geographic
Is Marijuana the next big thing? An emerging industry ready to pop? Marijuana Gold Rush premieres 9 e/p
about 4 hours ago "

Where did they show him.eating before driving?

There was a car onstage at the conference?

He had the meds in his hand on the way into the conference so I assume he was driving inside the conference?
you are right, I'm sorry. I just re watched and heard crinkling when he was sitting in the car like a package opening, so maybe that is what made me think otherwise.

Maybe I was a little harsh, and the person who said finding the right people for the job being rough because of the industries obstacles is a good point. Hopefully they can turn this around in upcoming episodes.

I agree with Tony's quote too and regardless of what these guys look like after episode 4, the feds not raiding will be a pretty good thing. I doubt many people watching will be offended by what has been portrayed, so that is good I guess.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
come on dag,

now your just splitting **** hairs ---

He was running late - less than an hour to get there.

I've eaten a couple of those gingerbreads in question. They take 45 Minutes to 1 hour to start working, and he was the first speaker to take the podium - I'm sure you can do the math DAG.

I'm sure when De Angelo takes a step back saying something about a breath, he was trying to gain focus and switch modes for getting there to standing and speaking. And I've gotten High with Steve and Drew before and He is medicated the second he addresses the crowd.

One more time - come on Dag !

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Marijuana Gold Rush on the National Geographic channel was a much more informative show. It also showed Harborside. Showed a whole lot more about the industry and actually showed Oakland's involvement. Seems like the Marijuana Wars show was made up of what hit the cutting room floor from Marijuana Gold rush. Many more facts

TB Gardens

Veteran
Ya I stumbled into that last night... Too bad it was filmed last April & much of that info has changed. Was good tho

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Marijuana Gold Rush on the National Geographic channel was a much more informative show. It also showed Harborside. Showed a whole lot more about the industry and actually showed Oakland's involvement. Seems like the Marijuana Wars show was made up of what hit the cutting room floor from Marijuana Gold rush. Many more facts
:tiphat:Yeah,i watched that too.It had alot to do with "Big Bis"and people saying straight up,they were only in it for the money.I recoreded it so i can watch it again later because my grandaughter kept jumpin on me n i missed alot.:ying:

Cappy

“Weed Wars”: What the critics are saying about the Oakland-based reality series

Posted by Chuck Barney on December 1st, 2011 at 11:18 am | Categorized as TV | Tagged as "Weed Wars", Discovery, medical marijuana, New York Times, Oakland, reality TV, Steve DeAngelo, Washington Post

Here’s a sampling of some of the reviews pegged to “Weed Wars,” the new Discovery Channel reality series about Oakland’s Harborside Health Center, a medical marijuana dispensary:

– “In most ways “Weed Wars” is an average reality show in the mold of “Dog the Bounty Hunter” or “Pawn Stars,” depicting a family business conducted on or just past the border of polite society. … But “Weed Wars” is also influenced by a long tradition of stoner humor, from Cheech and Chong to Bill and Ted to Harold and Kumar. While the producers take pains to present the business as legal (at least in California), honest and hygienic … they acknowledge viewers’ suspicions regarding things like the credibility of those tens of thousands of “patients” and their conditions. – Mike Hale, New York Times.

– “Most reality shows about workplaces feature relatively normal people trying to appear colorful and eccentric while handling trivial or manufactured crises. “Weed Wars” features colorful and eccentric people trying to appear relatively normal while handling real crises. That alone would put the show at the top of its genre. Add to that its depiction of the reality behind what to most people is a serious but abstract issue: medical marijuana. The result is one of the rare workplace shows that are actually worth watching.” — Tom Conroy, Media Life.

– “Once the viewer adjusts to the notion that marijuana here is as legal as a Snickers bar, the rest becomes a fairly straightforward small-business drama.” — David Hinckley, New York Daily News.

– “Part activist, part hard-nosed businessman, (Steve) DeAngelo’s evangelical fervor for cannabis comes off as simultaneously genuine and self-serving. – David Knowles, The Hollywood Reporter (Who calls the show “illuminating” and “unique”).

– “Whatever triumphant feeling it initially evokes, “Weed Wars” drags as the lackadaisical attitudes of both the suppliers and the customers begin to grate on a viewer’s nerves. Ever been in a room where everyone’s high but you? That’s this show.” — Hank Stuever, Washington Post.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
if i were to rob HS tomorrow it wouldn't be the cash or product i'd hit first....

it would be that safe!

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran

agreed..

mgk

d4nk

come on dag,

now your just splitting **** hairs ---

He was running late - less than an hour to get there.

I've eaten a couple of those gingerbreads in question. They take 45 Minutes to 1 hour to start working, and he was the first speaker to take the podium - I'm sure you can do the math DAG.

I'm sure when De Angelo takes a step back saying something about a breath, he was trying to gain focus and switch modes for getting there to standing and speaking. And I've gotten High with Steve and Drew before and He is medicated the second he addresses the crowd.

One more time - come on Dag !
exactly.. you guys are being ignorant if you think he didnt eat those while he was driving or right when he got in his car.

So i just finished watching it. I have mixed feelings about it. Its cool theres another mmj show but i dunno. Its like they really focus on medicating a bit much and that really doesnt bother me at all but what bothers me is the people you see smoking all the time have the typical stereotype stoner image. It would be cool to see people smoking/medicating and blending while not obviously looking stoned all the time. The brother hes a bit out there and he seems a little high strung and his laugh is..well ya lol. If i was the owner i would have stuck him doing something in the back. He seems like he cant handle pressure very well and doesnt seem to think things through . He doesnt seem very collected at all to deal with the issues thus far and he allows his emotions to control him to much instead of focusing on the problem. The product?Well the guy getting 4k and them saying its the highest makes me shrug my shoulders. It looked okay just like the rest of it did. Id smoke it if it was here but i dont think id pay for it personally. You never know though but based of what i was seeing it seemed "alright"

The show really reminds me of how pawn stars is. It doesnt seem like your average pawn shop/dispensary. They seem a bit out there and not generally how most are. I feel the professional aspect is lacking. I do believe in personal expression but in a professional business(a medical business at that) they should build a better image on themselves.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
took a trip to vegas recently and went in that pawn shop....

half the store is show merch. it's like a parody of itself

Latest posts

Latest posts