What's new

Weed Wars: New show on Discovery

Herborizer

Veteran
I actually manage a business myself, and what they are doing is a joke. Makes the Medical biz look like it's managed by a bunch of amateurs, if this is the best there is...

I wish I didn't have to agree with this, but I have to somewhat.

I have had the chance to see several companies operate, from the inside. The management staff inter-workings, etc. High level meetings, you name it. How that CFO handled that meeting was not on par with what I would expect from someone on a "C" level.

Really. Who goes into a meeting with a single angle? There should of been multiple angles, with all the oppositions predetermined and quality arguments against every opposition. This is standard affair for corporate pitches.

Anyone that works for a corporation of 20 or more employees wouldn't respect the management team, the way it was on display for this episode of Weed Wars.

The only person that fit the role was Steve. To me he seems like a normal CEO.

I think that the show, at least this first episode gives us and the industry a BAD image. i would not doubt if the Feds end up raiding them. Nobody is going to take them seriously, because they are over medicated all day and giggle like clowns!!!! I was just in Harborside like 3 days ago and they have really smart educated people there.....why they didn't have those folks on camera is beyond me!!! I really don't see this show helping mmj in anyway. Also the pony tail dude did eat his food before he drove and was baked when he got on stage. i almost felt like they were incriminating throughout the show. I hope nothing happens to them because i do think they are most likely good people, i just don't think their image is very good for the industry.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It wasnt too bad...working at a dispensary we get ALL kinds of "querky" ppl. So that part is correct, but it seems to have a bit more drama then it should but I guess they have to make it more "watchable".
Ill continue to watch I hope they focus on the ppl that it helps, it might change some minds out there to what mmj is really about.

Ramius

Veteran
wtf...obviously you guys didnt pay attention

They didnt show steve eating a edble before driving...he said he eats it right before going onstage...so....

the guy above asking for blunts only had one arm....do you know hom much it hurts having one arm...ive heard the pain is hella everyday on the nerves..but hey i am not gonna judge him or his use of mmj....

reall put off by your post bro....

judge not, lest he be judged

Of course I feel bad for the guy only having one arm, but it was just how he seem to come out of nowhere with that look on his face asking for blunts that made me laugh

Don't take it so seriously :)

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i hope HARBORSIDE gets busted......

they are crooks, pathological liars and this show just makes the industry look fucking stupid.....

hope they get what they want, attention....from the federal government

hate me if you want, my opinion.......

poo-hand

Why is everyone hating on the employee and his first grow? WTF? saying he should quit and all. Thats bull shit, so what, he's not sure of what he wants to do that doesnt mean he should just pack it all up. Yes his crop looks terrible but it can only get better, and thats a pretty good sized grow for a rookie and he had multiple strains.
If people think he should quit because his crop wasnt in very good shape, then a lot of you guys should quit too.. lol just sayin

As for the show, I'm on the fence. I'll definately watch it next week though.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Anyone who hopes others go to jail for a plant deserves nothing less themselves.

Guess that's why some people end up "busted hardcore"

That's why they are better men than you.

mrflamboynt

so no one knows what he was pitching to those folks at his meeting?

the way i see it; a pot smoker and his family run a retail shop that happens to make multi-millions. they dont know any better to hire people that will win their court cases, tax audits, etc. just some users out to make a buck... they have the money to pay the $1.1M otherwise they would not have agreed to the 3-payment contract. so they already lied about "not having the money to pay".... they are sticking millions somewhere.... and its not all going to charity and operating expenses ....

i wanna see who they donate money to (probly a shell), and how much. for donation of services, they give a few folks back rubs? they are probably netting $800,000 mo.... they couldnt give out enough massages in a day. and i dont see any local charities jumping for joy from harborside donations....

if any of this is true, they deserve to burn. and any other organization like it.... there will be other shows that demonstrate what the real deal is.... discovery channel is probably walking a fine line, i was thinking there was a chance it would be taken off the air immediately due to some federal law.... but that didnt happen.... they should definitely show grandma's garden, that she uses to treat her arthritis without addictive opiates. they need to show that these are your neighbors (the only 1 you like), that require this plant for a better quality life.

I

idoreallytry

the one brother with the short hair acts like an idiot tweeker i wish they would take the show off tv those guys look like morons,,,,i put this show right up there with moonshiners how fucking dumb,,, people would do anything to get on tv,,,what a joke,,,peace

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow you guys sure judge people hard. Wheres the love ? I understand if you dont care for the show . But to just judge the personalities so harshly... what a bunch of rednecks.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Nature bab...
Someone is doing what they cant or dont have the nuts to do so they trash 'em and even go so far as to hope they get busted....

Its FUCKING pathetic!
Not a single one of these little haters has done a tenth of what HS has for the movement.
But here the peons are actually rooting for leo!

Shame on every last one of you!

DO IT BETTER OR STFU!

Hell do something? Anything?

I agree that it would be nice to see a business run by business people. Guys in dresses are not my idea of how to run a legitimate business, nor is super high, squinty-eyed, giggly cfo's. The cfo brother was a joke and did nothing for the tax meeting. I'm stunned that a group of misfits like this can run a business at all! They must have some good people working for them and it certainly shows that any monkey can make a few million bucks selling weed. My first thought is, and from a guy who runs his own business, is they need to spend less time getting high and more time taking care of business. There should be one clear headed individual running the show there...

Steve kept saying "no retroactive" but they weren't trying to collect a retroactive tax, they were asking for prepayment for the upcoming year from what I was understanding. I agree that it is pretty unreasonable to drop that little prepayment request on them without warning which is what I took that all as. You guys seem to have taken that differently though so maybe I am confused and they were asking for the previous years tax.

Steve needs to be at those meetings, no question, and especially when the people he sent were obviously incompetent. All the while he is grossly displaying the ridicules quantities of edibles he consumes, and while driving is just bad for the legitimacy of the scene. Even if he needs that much medicine, that is 20 times more than what the average consumer uses, so there is no reason to make that seem like normal usage. Jeeze, 4 super potent edibles for the drive over to a speaking engagement? For stress right? I would think the opposing segment of society would just use that as ammo to prove that "people will just be stoned all day", when the reality is that most users use more responsibly than that. Hopefully they will get their shit together in the upcoming episodes. I will be watching to find out for sure. I just hope they find a way to assimilate themselves to typical legitimate businesses so the people who are familiar with that (most people) can take away something positive from all of this without having to negotiate a giant cloud of cheech and chong before taking any of this seriously.

Sorry for the rant guys... I'm not trying to be a hater I'm just upset that they found a way to make a 20+ million business appear laughably incompetent and that much less legitimate.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You missed it as well he said before he goes on stage he takes some. Not while he was driving.. I guess people here what they what..I agree you all need to take a look in the mirror. So far out of the weed tv shows this is the best one.. I would make a few changes my self but im not going to bash them for putting there freedom on the line...

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Where did they show him.eating before driving?

There was a car onstage at the conference?

He had the meds in his hand on the way into the conference so I assume he was driving inside the conference?

McDank8O5

i thought it did a pretty good job showcasing the hardships associated with this industry. Entertainment for sure, i look forward to thursdays a little more now

odogyouknow

Show was quite interesting and I think showed the industry quite well.

I'm not hating at all as I'm a card carrying californian, but it shows a little bit of the disorganization and infancy of the business model. Harborside is very professional, but relatively in the early stages of the movement. I mean mmj is only 15 years old, and they're not even close to that!!

I work in wineries and I liken it to that... Would be crazy to have all the cellar workers and winemaker "medicated" on their product every day running around like chicken with their heads cut off. Not that some days they don't... haha

But to have the leader of a 20+ million $ business running into the office semi-frantically to grab "4 extra potent cookies" or whatever to take at 8 a.m. before the meeting is funny. Not that he shouldn't smoke or eat as needed, but to have his personal needs kind of dialed in by that point. Steve does come off as a genuine, unwavering and driven person though.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I give it 8.5/10

The black guys is kinda pathedic. Appathy doesnt make for good TV.

They dude in the wedding dress was AWESOME.

The only thing i noticed that seemed a bit off was when the bald guy was taking clones.

He said you cut the leaf tips to 'sqeeze more in', which may be the result, but is not the reason it's done.

It is done to cut down on transpiration (prevent wilting).

Their lawyers seem horrible, or at least the way they edited them. They didnt make a convincing arugement, and they seem to have left many 'bullets' in the chamber (we cant pay now; you can extend us and WILL get your million, or you can get NOTHING.)

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I just about pissed my pants laughing after watching them try to deal with the city regardless of the scope of their operation they are sorely lacking in business skills

Yes, that was the most lame part of the whole show. Those City officials were almost laughing. You don't send a CFO into a meeting like that! You send a highly specialized tax attorney along with a specialized financial adviser. I do think the show really left a bad impression of the hap-hazard attitude of these people in general. There were a lot of shortcomings in the show, but the tax board thing was pretty bad. Sorry.. I went on longer than I meant.

insert afterthought: I bet they had the money easy to pay that.. those guys are all millionaires and if you don't believe that, well.. They probably paid that bill right on time and the whole thing was overplayed for the tv cameras.

mgk :tiphat:

Mia

Oh harborside, what a riot.
Compassion my ass.
They'll never get any of my herb.......

Funny story.
I was talking to one of the guys at the clone counter one day and he was telling me about his "all organic" crap, how sick he is, and intimating how chems are crap and he doesn't need any chemicals for any problems. He's gonna make clean ass edibles etc.
So I go to get my free gram or whatever and walk out and who do I see sucking down a marlboro like it's going out of style, Mr. Organic himself!
I had to laugh.

Also they talk about testing for eagle and all that stuff right.
I was talking to some guys at my local hydro shop and they told me those guys go in there all the time buying floramite, eagle and all that crap. i was like u serious and he said yeah.
Don't know why he would lie.

Latest posts

Latest posts