What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Curing??

G

Just curious..

How would the process be affected by using water with higher temperatures? I've boiled some before and you could see the melted resin in the water, but is there a cutoff temp? It seems heat would spead the process of leaching with a chance of degrading the material. Comments?

full time daddy
Veteran
if i remember right thc starts to "melt" or "vap" at 150 deg's f

but not 100% on that.

so maybe if you keep the water under that...hmmmmmm

clearcutter

I imagined this being alot harder. I think i'll try it on my next harvest. :chin:

Can't wait to read your report Tex.

Does any have any pics of a water cured bud?

G

I have the plant selected so I will toss her into darkness for a bit and chop tomorrow night.

420 kickin, do you think a sealed or open top is better? I was thinking about perferating (3/16") a top from one of my jars just to hold it down and let it breath.

Tex

myrth

i have come to realize that i need to do this to all of my stash...so far i've cured about 15% of my stash i have to say that it comes out less harsh, and seems to have more of a brownish color - but i don't care, it works just fine... :)

-myrth

full time daddy
Veteran
Texas Kid said:
I have the plant selected so I will toss her into darkness for a bit and chop tomorrow night.

420 kickin, do you think a sealed or open top is better? I was thinking about perferating (3/16") a top from one of my jars just to hold it down and let it breath.

Tex

i dont no... thats one of the test's i well do.....

the jar i have going now is open. and let me tell you guys i pulled out a bud to day when i changed the water........ it fucking smells like bear turd's.

i hope that go's away when pulled to dry...... or i will not ever do it again. :joint: :friends:

todays 48 hr's all take a pic to night...... the leafs are turning a yellowish green and water did turn a greenish color.

i dont have bubblebags at this time so was unable to run that but soon...

G

I'm going to use my standard chop, hang, and jar method on half the plant and water cure the other half. That will give me a direct comparison between then starting from the same source.

I am also goin to look into a dehydrator for the water cured buds because the speed of the dry shouldn't matter at that point.

Tex

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Neato!!!

Neato!!!

This is awesome. Now I have seen several different methods in this thread on how to do this but I have a few sorta common sense questions. For those that dry and then water cure, what is the point? I mean what is the point of drying a bud and then soaking it again and then drying it again? I think this would be an unnecessary step. Now hot or cold water? We all know that THC is activated with light and heat so why would you use even warm water? THC isn't water soluable but the heat might kill some of the THC. I think maybe this is how that guy made Budder Hash....

full time daddy
Veteran
CalcioErba2004 said:
This is awesome. Now I have seen several different methods in this thread on how to do this but I have a few sorta common sense questions. For those that dry and then water cure, what is the point? I mean what is the point of drying a bud and then soaking it again and then drying it again? I think this would be an unnecessary step. Now hot or cold water? We all know that THC is activated with light and heat so why would you use even warm water? THC isn't water soluable but the heat might kill some of the THC. I think maybe this is how that guy made Budder Hash....

its not dry a bud then soaking it......
ts soaking it befor it dry ( right after you cut )

this leachs the chems in your leaf's/bud's there for no longer needing to flush your plant a week befor and for this you get a better yeild & taste. at the end

after soaking is then when you dry.

heres a bud that was cut at same time and not water cured
& the other was water cured for 2 days the rest is still going

^see the color of the 2 the water cure turns hair brown over night :eek:

the water turns really murky over night after the 2nd day this is 3rd day

the water cured bud seems to dry faster than the none water curd bud and is loseing that bear turd smell.....

remember this plant is not flushed at all in fact it was still getting 1800 ppm when i cut this one!
and its olny on day 35 or 36 :whip:

G

Indulge me for a bit. I don't understand how warm water would hurt the THC. Many people use heat when pressing hash and cooked cannabis gets me ripped as well. Does any heat destroy THC or is there a documented temperature at which potency decreases?

Warm water would keep some of the trichs from breaking off if it's kept below that melting point. Of course this is speculation, feel free to comment.

full time daddy
Veteran
melvin said:
Indulge me for a bit. I don't understand how warm water would hurt the THC. Many people use heat when pressing hash and cooked cannabis gets me ripped as well. Does any heat destroy THC or is there a documented temperature at which potency decreases?

Warm water would keep some of the trichs from breaking off if it's kept below that melting point. Of course this is speculation, feel free to comment.

i would have to say yes! or when we burn or vap it would not be in or systems.

if you where to heat it up to much it would just vap into the air. at lest thats my thought! maybe im wrong :friends:

heating the water is to extract the thc. here we are not trying to extract thc.
just the chems left in there from the nutes we feed the plant.

King

Hi 00420,

Did you, or can you take a PPM measurement on the water? And what was it at the start?

Did you store it in the fridge while curing?

Sorry for all the questions, I just find this interesting and are curious.

Thanks,
King

full time daddy
Veteran
King said:
Hi 00420,

Did you, or can you take a PPM measurement on the water? And what was it at the start?

Did you store it in the fridge while curing?

Sorry for all the questions, I just find this interesting and are curious.

Thanks,
King

king no i did not but should have i will next time i do it. no fridge just out in open air.
dont be sorry it is very interesting to all of us

full time daddy
Veteran
k guys on day 5 i pulled the bud out of the water. i let them set in a bowl with a fan on them for about 2 hrs maybe 3. the buds are still wet and so are the one that where not water cured.

i will leave them to set and dry a few more days at lest 2 be for i even try to smoke sum. but heres a few pics be for i put them where they will be dryed..

i ended up with a lil more in the water cure then not but should be a good first test................................................................remember this was cut on about day 32 -35 shit i cant remember..........lol
both water & non water cured

not water cured

warter cured

not water cured

G

Damn 00420, thanks for busting this experiment out. You sure know how to answer a thread.

The water cured one looks great, hows it taste?

myrth

i've done about half of my Lifesaver as water cure. when you re/grind the herb there appears to be more powder - probably nice good powder, if you get my drift.

i'm currently doing a test on 10g of Soma Kahuana. hopefully, this will start a baseline for how much plant matter is removed via this method of curing.

my process though is - 1) chop, 2) 7 day dry, 3) grind (i know i suck but it's my way), 4) place in nylon stocking and water cure for 1 day, 5) remove and let dry a few days.

different than others, i know, but the smoke is smoother than letting the bud sit for a few weeks...of course, i'm not in the same league as you super-curer's... ;)

-myrth

full time daddy
Veteran
Farmer John said:
Hmmm...this is interesting, I have always had doubts about this water cure but those water cured buds look very good imho...
I hope it all goes well!!! :wave:

i agree farmer john

gis said:
Damn 00420, thanks for busting this experiment out. You sure know how to answer a thread.

The water cured one looks great, hows it taste? :

when dry i well let you know. but not just me as i said be for.
hillbillonpcp & hellinksi will be the testers of this round. as i will see both of them in the morning sum time. :) and will let them post the the test answer's

and btw as i was in the garden today i was thinking as allways. this is 40 days from being done. its a 9 week strain......

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Damn, i take it back about bag appeal, it dont look too bad does it, not much difference, only colour, and if it gets u mashed, who gives a fuck what colour it is eh. Im gonna try a little bit this way.

G

I just put some fresh buds in a jar with room temp tap water. They'll cure for 5 days with daily water changes. The strain is Nirvana's Bigbud x NL#5 grown with PBP, Liquid Karma, cal-mag, and hydroguard with no flush at the end.

full time daddy
Veteran
well guys i had about 6 ppl test this. 2 are members here hellinksi & hillbillyonpcp. both of them said the non water cure bud was better.
me & 3 of my med users had a set smoked a few bowls of each. and all 4 of us happen to like the non water cure a lot better as well
as i harvast more buds all try a few more and do a few test. but for the most part from this test i wont do as much as i was going to untell i find a way that i like.
but i will keep you all updateed on what i do......

Latest posts

Latest posts