What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Curing??

KRS Juan

Anybody have experiences with water curing???? If you have tried it, could you explain the process you used and the results???

-KRS Juan-

G

uhmmmm...Juan I've never heard of that, can you explain in a nutshell?

G

Water Cure

Water Cure

I have read up on this awhile back.

Basicalyy this is the technique where instead of letting buds dry you take the buds and place them directly into cold water after cutting. since we all know the trichs dont decompose in water they will not be damaged in any major way. The water takes the chloryphill and other plant matter and breaks them down fairly quickly and leave you with just the trichs and bud without the other impurities.

Basically you fill a cooler with cold water drop the buds in and put the cover back ontop. You want to be sure that all the buds are completely underwater. leave it stir for 12 hours and change the water because you want fresh cold water in there every 12-18 hours. after you do this for 1-2 days you take the buds out and dry the natural way and then your buds will be ready to smoke.

I have heard and seen soo many arguments both ways I dont know what to believe. but there is one way to find out which cures the buds better.....try it with a smal amount of the same plant and once finished have a smoke off.

I'm available to judge :)

KRS Juan

From what I understand you basically chop your plant, while it's still wet you soak it in water. Then you dry it out like normal. From what i hear it leeches out all the nasties very well. I know it sounds crazy (it did to me the first time i heard it) but there are people on some of the other sites that swear by it.

Hopefully someone here can enlighten us.

-KRS Juan-

G

Thanks for the explanation guys.

since we all know the trichs dont decompose in water they will not be damaged in any major way.

it's the "not be damaged in any major way" part that gets me kind of leery. don't you risk having the trichs come off in the water, especially when changing it? Is this just a method for "quick-curing"? If so, I think I'll just stick to my own tried and true methods ;) Interesting thread though!

G

**don't you risk having the trichs come off in the water, especially when changing it?**

I must admit thats one of the main reasons that makes me not want to chance it but hey, if it really does take out alot of impurities and leaves you with a better cured bud after all, hell ill try anything for a bit of a test of new things.

Maybe not stiring the buds will help not to knock those precious trichs off but still give them a soak to rid the impurities?
:confused:

myrth

set mine to dry - soma Kahuana

set mine to dry - soma Kahuana

well, i didn't know the bud was only supposed to be in there a couple days - mine are almost six...so, i'm taking them out of the jar to dry.

i'll let you know the difference between this water cure, and the quick-cure oven method.

at the moment the rest of the grow is drying normally, so i can't give you a comparison on that bud yet.

-myrth

G

There was a whole thread on here at one time about this process. I think it is covered extensively in one of Rosenthal's books or Jorge's.

I will do a detailed thread on it this next harvest with some of my nugz.

All in the name of science.hehe

Tex

G

Water Cure

Unlike other curing methods, the water cure is performed after the marijuana is dried. Powder and small pieces are most often used, but the cure also works with whole colas. The material is piled loosely in a glass or ceramic pot which is filled with luke-warm water. (When hot water is used, some of the THC is released in oils, which escape and float to the top of the water.) Within a few hours many of the non-psychoactive water-soluble substances dissolve. An occasional gentle stirring speeds the process. The water is changed and the process repeated. Then the grass is dried again for smoking.

THC is not water-soluble; so it remains on the plant when it is soaked. By eliminating water-soluble substances (pigments, proteins, sugars, and some resins), which may make up 25 percent of the plant material by weight, this cure may increase the concentration of THC by up to a third.

Marijuana cured by this method has a dark, almost black colour, and looks twisted and curled, something like tea leaves. The water cure is frequently used to cure dried fan leaves and poor-quality grass.

G

a man of adventure our Tex, I'll be waitin' on the thread! One question though...does anyone really believe quick cured buds through any method can compete with what I call my "champagne buds", cured to a T for four months and nothing less than exquisite? If so I'm all for it, if not....well I'm a lady who prides herself on certain "snobberies" which I believe indispensable for a truly fine smoke. If ya get my drift ;)

G

xxbluevelvetxx said:
a man of adventure our Tex, I'll be waitin' on the thread! One question though...does anyone really believe quick cured buds through any method can compete with what I call my "champagne buds", cured to a T for four months and nothing less than exquisite? If so I'm all for it, if not....well I'm a lady who prides herself on certain "snobberies" which I believe indispensable for a truly fine smoke. If ya get my drift ;)

EDIT: Just saw your second post Tex...I'll stick to my snobberies ;)

I water cure my fan leaves for emergency stash. It takes the bite out of them when smoked and makes it more palatable for cooking. Wrap the plant matter in a coffee filter and submerge (I put a rock in the bottom to eliminate the float) for 24 hrs. Dump the water and replace it with clean cold water and let soak for another 24 hrs. Remove and dry in a stack of dry coffee filters. For large amounts use a clean white t-shirt to wrap the matter and soak in a cooler as described above. Nice reference Tex. That's from MJ Growers Guide from Ed and Mel.

G

Bluevelvet....Water cure is not a quick method to curing buds. Its just another way to get rid of the unneeded and unwanted cholorophyll and other plant matter. This was the method used back in the days from my reasearch. Sure you loose trichs in the water, but the loss is minimal about the same as when you handle the dried buds for trimming. Anyway those trichs can be saved by using the same water and running it through the bubble bags after the cure is done.

I have not done this yet, but next crop i'm doing a 50/50 water/ dry curing and will give them both a month or so to get nice and ready to be judged.

I'm eager to see what your results will be Tex

G

ok I understand Sharp_Pain. I'm curious to know what impact this has on the taste of the weed...I wonder if its not more reccomended to get the most out of not so great weed, or to utilize parts of the plant normally not used or reserved for oil/hash making purposes. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and thanks to all of you guys who are willing to test this method ;)

piney1520

what would we do without TEX?

what would we do without TEX?

Hes correct there was a fairly long thread in june? about water curing and the guy went thru the whole process with a large harvest. if memory serves correct he did some of it in his SWIMMING POOL? maybe I dreamt that part
but I will try to find the thread and post it! :confused:

G

Piney, your right. I think it was an old algae infested pool at that. Not very controlled at all. Didn't he fill pantyhose or a screen bag or something with bud?

I remember that every report was favorable in blind smoke test.

I'll do it right so we can at least have an objective demonstration of the process.

Tex

myrth

yeah, i think he used pantyhose...but then use filled a cooler with water an put his bud in there.

damn! dry the bud first? shit. shit! i hope i don't lose much from putting them in the water right from the chopping block...

oh well, i'll give a report as well when my other buds dry.

-myrth

G

What the Microwave is'nt good enough for you guys? :biggrin: Well I'll let you guys try it first. Heard a thing or two about it but never experienced it. I figure RO water will be the best to do it with since it will have the least amount of contaminants.

Blatant

Rhizomorph

What about placing some fresh nugs in a sealed mason jar and just let it sit in the fridge for a few days - the water would stay cold, avoiding risks of mold. Would there still be need to changed the water?

I am definitely going to have to try this with some Bubba nugs next time - perfect candidate with which to compare the quality of flavor between the two methods.