What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

washing machine hash - the right way

jump /injack

Veteran
If you've used Neem oil or some other water soluble insecticide the process of using the washing machine should clean your product up very well. Using washing machines is how they do it on the big farms in Columbia. I saw a ball of it that had to be 5 or 6 inches in diameter [magazine picture].

Cool they just figured it out like we did?

I got the idea from the "shower curtain hash" from cannabible3 and from my buddys "ice hash washer" that sucks because you put everything in a little bag. My buddy sort of just figured it out and we took it from there...

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
If you are rinsing away 'hash' it could be because your filters are not up to par. Commercial hash bags are not good enough IME, there is too much variance in the hole size. One needs commercial filter bags made from japanese silk screen poly or similar material. One can trust the japs to get the microns right.

One only needs to catch at 2 sizes generally, 43 and 100 for two different hashes with different qualities not grades. Lower grades come in later washes. If you are using the right process and doing it correctly, you should only be breaking off gland heads. Complete glands get caught between the 160 and 177 pre-filters along with fine plant stuff and extra mature pre-flower gland heads and this pre-filter is great for joints but harsh in chillums..Other (220 and 177) prefilters become compost. These gland heads, when on their own, are very specific at the size that they catch at and one can rinse them with cold spring water till you are blue in the face and till any smaller impurities or chlorophyll staining is rinsed through and you should not have to worry about losing your gold, this is the truth.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Really like the ideas in this thread :good:
Kudos to the OP for starting it up :tiphat: and Thank You to maryjaneismyfre for telling us all your method, appreciate all the knowledge dropped in this thread :respect:
A photo tutorial would really be a major help visualizing steps especially for members who don't have English as a first language :thank you:
:blowbubbles:

jump /injack

Veteran
Tutorial from a book

Tutorial from a book

Really like the ideas in this thread :good:
Kudos to the OP for starting it up :tiphat: and Thank You to maryjaneismyfre for telling us all your method, appreciate all the knowledge dropped in this thread :respect:
A photo tutorial would really be a major help visualizing steps especially for members who don't have English as a first language :thank you:
:blowbubbles:

Here is a photo tutorial form Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible
*By Jorge Cervantes

Pages 412 to 416 [You can go online and see the tutorial, google something like "washing machine hash Columbia" or the name of the book.]

They are using bags and big chunks of ice. They have a hash ball that is pretty big.

EducatedHippy

in jorges book theres caption with a 8lb hash necklace and the caption says something like in colombia slaving over a washing machine for 8 hours .. i will get the photo up, and the caption ,but as far as i know that technique has been used there for quite some time ? forgive me if im wrong

If you look at the mesh under a loupe you can easily see that they are not all made the same.

Some have little "beads" at each cross of mesh to mesh. it looks like honeycomb or something (obviously man made.) They stay totally uniform and the micron is the same the whole screen over.

The other ones have no "beads" at the crosses and seem to be more "natural" and they do not hold their shape and therefore do not hold the micron size all over the whole area of the screen.

In a set of bags maybe 2 will be the quality type where most will be the cheaper, inconsistent type. Bubble bags are some BS incase anybody didn't know. Just like the hash washing machines (panty washers) Apparently Jorge was going to put his name behind a 15 bag set and it came out that its all junk.

The best way the original way is to use only 1 screen and agitate as little as possible. The more you beat the trim with a mixer or impeller the more you beat up the trichs. The best hash is made with a spoon in the drill and not a mixer.

A

Asche

i taped a big plastic salad spoon to the front of a drilling machine
and let it rotate at low speed, made it a few times and came out with this

picture.php

My point was (which you pointed out nicely) that less agitation the better. If you take a mixer and whip it around its beating everything up. But in a washing machine its more rolling around in the ice and cold; nothing is spinning and fucking shit up.

The idea is that a mixer is better than an impeller, a spoon is better than a mixer, a plastic or wood spoon is better than a metal spoon, and if you could somehow mix with nothing (a clothes washer) that would be the best

A

Asche

somehow i fail to believe that breaking trichomes may have an impact on the quality
i know thats currently a wide spread "knowledge" but i experienced that the lower 25 µm hash
produces a very nice hash more creamy and not less potent at all.

when i use alcohol for extraction i dont get any trichomes either, it all dissolves into the liquid
a washing machine sounds sure also interesting, others say it does not need a lot mixing generally
a few stirs with a wooden stick do the trick already when its cold enough.

but i am not an expert and i dont have any microscope and no chemical analysis laboratory
so take a grain of salt when you read this :)

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Trick is to do it gentle as possible, but them you may have to do many runs. You can collect a superb grade in just one screen, then I'd do a 45 um, but pre-filtering is more important in combination with temperature, quality material and being gentle. This all to ensure the plant material does not get broken up. If the water is neutral ph and clean and ice cold, chlorophyll stays put in the leaf and the gland heads slowly shear off with working with the ice slurry. The consistancy of the ice cube and water mix is quite important also, too much water and the plant will get broken up, too little and not enough mixing happens and yields suffer. It must be a completely homogenous mix to the bottom, full of ice but free to move with enough water around. Thick long arm rubber gloves are needed to work properly.

Also a cheap led jewelers loupe helps a lot in seeing what is going on in your hash.

Use baking soda to wash the machine between runs and use 220, 160, 120 and then the 70 micron. I find the 25 microns to have bad taste(or at leasty not as good as the 70). Some good indicas will have the best at 90 microns and I suggest rincing the 70 micron with a good blast of showered water to get all impurities out. For black gooyey hash I just put it in a freezer bag that is dunked in hot water (170 degrees F) for 10 minutes(15gr) and press with a rolling pin. Put in the freezer 5 minutes before cutting open the bag.

I used to watch my mentor run pounds and pounds through a home washing machine. His hash was always amazing(RIP)

I've never tried the washing machine method, just mainly small batches in buckets to dial in my technique but this tax season is telling me to just buy a new washing machine!

The idea for buying a washer to dedicate to hash has me thinking about possible modifications. Such as possibly buying a roll of 180u screen and using it to line the side walls and bottom of the washer, making draining a breeze while still giving material and ice plenty of room for agitation with minimal clumping. Maybe designing a large and unique shaped work bag like a huge donut shape fit to the dimensions of the washers basket

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
When I used to run a washing machine, it drained fine enough as is, just load with ice and material and ice water,clean spring, rain, r/o or distilled.. The temps and the slurry consistency are critical, if you have those right, you can run it for 18x 15 minute gentle washes (pumping out every third wash) before you start getting plant material or chlorophyll staining. An 8.5kg machine will take about 800g of material to match the ice and still have space for water..The larger machines with pumps and all make draining a breeze anyway..pump, load fresh ice water, filter and rinse filters, freezer, light hash cigarette, restart wash, check slurry and mix homogenously, start wash..3 washes and pump..one can do 7 pumps and if your protocol was good and your material good your grades only really start going down from pump #6. After pump#7 diminishing returns. Pump#1 pukka, smaller amounts, Pump #2 to #4 is where the gold is and #5 lesser amounts but still clean and blonde if technique was up to par. Always have 2 loads of water and loads of extra ice to start so the machine can just keep washing and not sit idle..make large chunks of ice prior to keep the water not in use "on ice" between washes.

Industrial filter socks made with high quality japanese silkscreen mono in various microns are the ticket for filtering on the fly with no bottlenecks while pumping the machine out. Rinsing the said filter with clean ice water till any stains or impurities trapped in the resin matrix are gone is also a key to gold. The filters and washing machine were a game changer and I long for the days when I could fill a machine haha..My best hash came from seeded bud, 2lb's of seeded skunk bud in the machine is a wonderful thing!

Thoroughly cleaning, drying and storing equipment and keeping everything "food grade" is also a critical part of the whole shebang..Keep those pipes full..Bom Shiva!

Last edited: