What's new

Vote YES or NO on Prop 19

Vote YES or NO on Prop 19

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettysmith

If it doesn't pass, nothing would be "halted". That's a very short sighted and unintelligent thing to say. This isn't the first attempt to legalize marijuana, and if it doesn't pass it won't be the last.

Like I said in an earlier post that you chose to ignore, if prop 19 weren't so flawed it would pass by a landslide... Whatever side you stand on, I'm sure everyone can agree on that...

I do not recall seeing such a post, as I've been typing up a new reply every two seconds as I have on directed at me in half the time. I'll go back and search for it.

However, with that being said, I'd most certainly call it halting. Theoretically, let's say Prop 19 passes. This means in 2012 CO would have undoubtedly a much greater chance of succeeding with their initiative, as well as those of other states. On the converse, if CA were to fail, do you not see the possibility of other state's attempts being less likely to succeed?

I never said it would entirely abolish the legalization movement, but that isn't to say it most certainly wouldn't stop it in it's tracks, or at the very least, slow it considerably for some time.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/35096/prop-19-backed-by-tea-party/

Prop 19 Backed By Tea Party

Conventional wisdom would have dictated that Tea Party candidates and voters would oppose California Prop 19, which would legalize marijuana in that state. While many of the state’s celebrity Twitter users took to the medium to encourage California to Legalize It, one would have expected the most influential Tea Partiers to heft every bit of sway into pooping on the prop 19 party.

After all, Tea Partiers are widely believed to be 2 things above all else: conservative, and undereducated. One would not suspect a candidate who doesn’t know the First Amendment stipulates a separation of church and state to possess the intellectual rigor required to stand consistent with a libertarian platform when it means your 14 year-old may start getting legal, easy access to weed.

But it appears the Tea Party may be doing exactly that. The Christian Science Monitor today runs an interview with Leo Laurence, a “former California sheriff’s deputy and currently a writer and pro-legalization activist at Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP).”

Of his own Tea Party skepticism, he says “I had written that the tea party would probably oppose it, but then I got phone calls saying, ‘No, you’re wrong on that.’ Tea party people have a very strong position that the government has no right to get involved in your private affairs … when you’re not hurting yourself or somebody else. And that’s basically Prop. 19 in a nutshell.”

What’s more, Republicans in general do not reflect the same sentiment. Prop 19 California polls indicate 65 percent of Republicans overall oppose proposition 19, as opposed to only 25 percent who support it. The split reflected in the poll numbers highlights a deeper rift between the Tea Party and other facets of the GOP establishment. Recently Karl Rove, scion of the Bush-era GOP establishment, insinuated Sarah Palin was unfit to hold the office of the president. Yesterday, Palin called the GOP institution that would seek to discredit her “sleazy,” all while her Sarah Palin PAC donates significant funds to these very same “sleazy” candidates.

The Tea Party may be in a bit of an identity crisis, and they may well inherit the dominant power structure from incumbent Republicans, themselves becoming the “GOP establishment.” If that happens, it will be a bummer for those of us on the left. But hey, at least we’ll be able to spark up a J in peace.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
If it doesn't pass, nothing would be "halted". That's a very short sighted and unintelligent thing to say. This isn't the first attempt to legalize marijuana, and if it doesn't pass it won't be the last.

Like I said in an earlier post that you chose to ignore, if prop 19 weren't so flawed it would pass by a landslide... Whatever side you stand on, I'm sure everyone can agree on that...

i wish you were right....
but the media will not be saying "prop 19 failed because it was to restrictive"

you really aren't that naive?

the spin machine will have the evil weed and those damn stoned hippies defeated by rational sober people.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shit this is where the Govt steps in and takes down the website lol

H

HippyJohnny

This election is the Republican dream come true. How do they feel about med mj?

Failed Prop19 would be a club in the hand of the new majority to beat down the losers.

Obama can look tough by rescinding the "leave the MMJ states alone Holder".
One memo is all it takes.

Just cant believe it will fail. I will not post again about it.

G

Guest3498

So people actually care what those Tea Baggers idiots think? Shocker...

And Betty, you are entirely wrong, it wouldn't set the movement back at all. Like I keep saying, and you keep ignoring... the only reason prop 19 isn't a landslide victory is the flaws in it. WE ALL KNOW THIS. If it doesn't pass then you should blame Richard Lee and his cronies. Not growers.

Do you refuse to recognize that this bill is not perfect? I mean really, how many BS non-answers can one person spit out?

Status
Not open for further replies.