What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Volcano, great value vape

Tincandtoke

I fuckin LOVE vaping cannabis and concentrates.
I wouldn't go back to smoking for money.
🚀

IMG_20240104_203937.jpg

Platinum punch ready!

hamstring

Veteran
Got my first volcano around 2007
First try I did three bags and promptly greened out
You can overdo it with a vaporizer
In the case of the volcano the bag size and how much material you use play a big role
If you chugged your vapor and then start exercising the cumulative effect is gonna stomp the shit out of you in the form of a green out or anxiety attack when you pause
Lots of terps and adrenaline having a field day with your perception
Micro dose is the way to go imo

2007, wow 17 years with your volcano. I'm 58 and wish I had started vaping back then.

I had a friend, who was very mechanically inclined, and he built his own vape around 1998-2000 time frame. Looking back on it it was a very nice DIY rig. Rheostat controlled, nice wooden body. The problem was it was all radiant heat like a toaster. The high from it didn't compare to smoking and for some stupid reason I never reconsidered vaping again until recently.

Like to hear about what lead you to vaping 17 years ago. It couldn't have been that well know and accepted back then or was it?

Tincandtoke

2007, wow 17 years with your volcano. I'm 58 and wish I had started vaping back then.

I had a friend, who was very mechanically inclined, and he built his own vape around 1998-2000 time frame. Looking back on it it was a very nice DIY rig. Rheostat controlled, nice wooden body. The problem was it was all radiant heat like a toaster. The high from it didn't compare to smoking and for some stupid reason I never reconsidered vaping again until recently.

Like to hear about what lead you to vaping 17 years ago. It couldn't have been that well know and accepted back then or was it?

Same age
Back in the day it was soldering irons with brass plumbing fixtures for a chambers set inside an aluminum housing with a glass top
If you drew too hard the material would combust
No temp regulation or display
Just an on/off switch
Used it a couple of times before putting it down for good
Got the Volcano after, bit expensive back then
The number inside my volcano shell is 05

IMG_20240217_120512.jpg IMG_20240217_120636.jpg IMG_20240217_120643.jpg

Old school
Moved on to a hybrid as there is no filter to change
Fairly straight forward heating set up

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Apologies for the double post
Need to scroll more thoroughly

Is that an injector?
What is loaded in there?
I have a embarrassing number of high end vapes this one destroys them all at a fraction of the price.
You can fill it with whatever you like I have lab made sapphires in this one and quartz in another.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There was a little bubbler available for the volc in the old days, probably still possible to get. The moisture in the air stream helps with flavour and perhaps the cough, though it's a little extra fiddling. When I used a volc I found tiny little drags helped with the cough a lot.

Eagle Bill's was still one of the best vapes I have ever used for flavour and kindness on the airway... it ran through a large bong style bubbler...
That would be the”magma”

If somebody wants one, donate $50 to the server fund and I will mail you mine. USA only.

Used the Mighty and Mighty+ for about 4 years. Very happy with both. Then a week ago I got the Venty. The Venty is on another level. For my purposes anyway. I keep it at 157 C, just like the Mighty, but the quality of the vapor I get is much better -- cleaner and smoother. It heats up much faster and I finish a dosing capsule in about 8 minutes vs 15 minutes with the Mighty. I noticed the temperature really stays locked in to your setting no matter how hard you draw, even with the air flow control fully open, whereas with the Mighty, the temperature can drift up and down by a few degrees.

Tincandtoke

Used the Mighty and Mighty+ for about 4 years. Very happy with both. Then a week ago I got the Venty. The Venty is on another level. For my purposes anyway. I keep it at 157 C, just like the Mighty, but the quality of the vapor I get is much better -- cleaner and smoother. It heats up much faster and I finish a dosing capsule in about 8 minutes vs 15 minutes with the Mighty. I noticed the temperature really stays locked in to your setting no matter how hard you draw, even with the air flow control fully open, whereas with the Mighty, the temperature can drift up and down by a few degrees.

Any issues with the unit?
Heard mixed reviews
Thought it may have a problem with the electronics

Any issues with the unit?
Heard mixed reviews
Thought it may have a problem with the electronics
None. Looks like a bunch of people got defective units when it launched. But S&B has a good reputation for replacing defective units.

Edit: My Venty just died. I got the E04 error message that so many have reported. Looks like this issue is ongoing and very common. I don't recommend the Venty.

Last edited:

early_bird

Veteran
How do you know that the Venty holds the temperature better, it doesn´t show on the display, right ?

When using a new Vaporizer the vape is may cleaner because the old device is already well used and may not so clean than the new one.
I don´t see a reason why the Venty should have smoother and cleaner vapor, the design is really simple, i saw it from inside.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
How do you know that the Venty holds the temperature better, it doesn´t show on the display, right ?

When using a new Vaporizer the vape is may cleaner because the old device is already well used and may not so clean than the new one.
I don´t see a reason why the Venty should have smoother and cleaner vapor, the design is really simple, i saw it from inside.
Same innards as the mighty and crafty?

early_bird

Veteran
No but super simple design, a coil wrapped arround the aluminium herb camber, that´s it.
No "airflow sensor" found like S+B stated.

Guess this thing cost 30 $ to produce.

I don´t see a advantage in a vaporizer "who tastes great" if you can´t clean it properly. After the first 4 gramms vaped i´m quite sure it tastes not good anymore ;)
With the regulation in the mouthpiece you need to replace this completly regulary. Will see if there are replacments made of glass or steel from other manufactors.
My Mighty also tasted great from the start, but later ... don´t ask...
Solved it with a glass mouthpiece. This is may never available for the Venti because of the ventilation control in the mouthpiece.
Clever done.
That is a money printing machine.

It does show on the display. I set it at 157 C and I've never once seen it drift to 158 C or 156 C, unlike the Mighty/Mighty+.

I've gone through a dozen or so cooling units over the years. The difference in cleanness/smoothness is way past the difference you get when changing cooling units.

I don't see why it should be so much cleaner either but it is. I actually thought I was doing something wrong at first because the vapor is far less visible. I know it heats up much faster, finishes a dosing capsule much faster and stays much more consistent in temperature. So perhaps all that contributes to cleaner vapor. Also the bowl is slightly wider, so when using the same dosing capsule, maybe there's less heat build-up in the capsule? There could be significant differences in the cooling unit design but I'm not sure; I haven't looked into it.

I wonder if the difference in vapor quality might be less dramatic if I were vaping at a higher temperature.

Edit: My Venty just died. Don't buy this thing.

Last edited:

early_bird

Veteran
Well, won´t say it´s a bad vape. And people seems to be happy with it, that counts. So sure, i think the Venty delivers high quality vapor and amazing heat-up times.

But i doubt, not to say i rule out, that this design is able to hold the temperature stable by 1 degree.
Be this temperature-stable is a very complex task, due so many variables, i even wonder that the Volcano is doing this so great, and we talk about a 3 kg heavy desktop Vaporizer with a lot of thermal mass here.
But with lightweight a mobile device.... can´t imagine.
When i get one in my hands i would love to measure ;)

What the Venty shows on the display is an other story.
But Venty has 120 Watts, Mighty has 60 Watts, so maybe Venty is better here as you say.

Even the Volcano is not consistent with temperature on display and in the chamber, i made some measurements too. You need to heat a little longer after the target-temperature is displayed, put on the fan a bit, then it becomes very accurate.

You can also take a look in the manual, the Volcano Digit has a Specification to be accurate by 1 degree Celsius. Even the Volcano Hybrid is missing this now.
I bet there is nothing specified for the Venty too.

Well, won´t say it´s a bad vape. And people seems to be happy with it, that counts. So sure, i think the Venty delivers high quality vapor and amazing heat-up times.

But i doubt, not to say i rule out, that this design is able to hold the temperature stable by 1 degree.
Be this temperature-stable is a very complex task, due so many variables, i even wonder that the Volcano is doing this so great, and we talk about a 3 kg heavy desktop Vaporizer with a lot of thermal mass here.
But with lightweight a mobile device.... can´t imagine.
When i get one in my hands i would love to measure ;)

What the Venty shows on the display is an other story.
But Venty has 120 Watts, Mighty has 60 Watts, so maybe Venty is better here as you say.

Even the Volcano is not consistent with temperature on display and in the chamber, i made some measurements too. You need to heat a little longer after the target-temperature is displayed, put on the fan a bit, then it becomes very accurate.

You can also take a look in the manual, the Volcano Digit has a Specification to be accurate by 1 degree Celsius. Even the Volcano Hybrid is missing this now.
I bet there is nothing specified for the Venty too.
You seem to know more and have more experience with all this than I do. I've never used a ball vape or a unit with glass components. I've never used the Volcano...

I think it's safe to say the temperature is more consistent than the Mighty+ but yeah, the thermodynamics involved are complicated and beyond my understanding and I assume there's some temperature variation going on within the capsule that isn't reflected in the temperature readout.

Another thing I like about the Venty is the air flow control. I keep it closed and then open it slightly when taking a hit. And it stands upright unlike the Mighty. Honestly, for me it's easy to get carried away with this thing and I've been vaping too much since I got it. I know it's overpriced but it's worth it for me without question.

Edit: ...and a month later my Venty is dead. Do not buy this.

Last edited:

Tincandtoke

You seem to know more and have more experience with all this than I do. I've never used a ball vape or a unit with glass components. I've never used the Volcano...

I think it's safe to say the temperature is more consistent than the Mighty+ but yeah, the thermodynamics involved are complicated and beyond my understanding and I assume there's some temperature variation going on within the capsule that isn't reflected in the temperature readout.

Another thing I like about the Venty is the air flow control. I keep it closed and then open it slightly when taking a hit. And it stands upright unlike the Mighty. Honestly, for me it's easy to get carried away with this thing and I've been vaping too much since I got it. I know it's overpriced but it's worth it for me without question.

In the world of vapes it has been my experience that spending up front for a decent daily driver saves a lot of money and aggravation in the long run
My cheap portable concentrate vapes died at the worst time
My one and only herbal vape, the mighty, has been the only one I have owned and used over the last nine years
My original broke through no fault of mine, on/off button stopped working
Sent it in and got a new one, not refurbished but new

Also own the B-1 and B-2 flower pot ball vapes
Ball vapes are the current heavy weight champions
Capable of high flavor micro dosing as well as skull splitting clouds

Because of the inherent risk ball vapes are best suited for individual sessions, maybe two people
The Volcano and other S&B products are better for groups and parties imo

In the world of vapes it has been my experience that spending up front for a decent daily driver saves a lot of money and aggravation in the long run
My cheap portable concentrate vapes died at the worst time
My one and only herbal vape, the mighty, has been the only one I have owned and used over the last nine years
My original broke through no fault of mine, on/off button stopped working
Sent it in and got a new one, not refurbished but new

Also own the B-1 and B-2 flower pot ball vapes
Ball vapes are the current heavy weight champions
Capable of high flavor micro dosing as well as skull splitting clouds

Because of the inherent risk ball vapes are best suited for individual sessions, maybe two people
The Volcano and other S&B products are better for groups and parties imo
Ha! I have a Mighty with a broken (or nearly broken) on/off button sitting right here. I've been debating whether to even try returning it. Bought it at a local store. I don't have a receipt or a box or anything I don't think. But judging by your story and others I've heard, I think there's a chance they'd accept it.