What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Hi, Sideshow it’s good to be back writing and sharing about the experience here. I’ve never had Colombian grown outside of the country (maybe I have and don’t know it) so I don’t know how it compares to the domestic. However I’m sure that pure Colombian strains in the hands of a competent cultivator be it under lights or outdoors at a northern latitude is going to produce very high quality bud. I encourage all to grow her because it is really high quality potent genetics. Although to get the authentic look, taste, smell and even effect it has to be grown here in its native environment.
View Image
Villa de Leyva Boyacá Department
I have more stories coming as they happen.

great pictures! thanks for sharing :)

yeah i bet if you get well grown punto rojo directly from the place of origin it will be something quite special! But also i think there is a lot of not so well grown, badly dried and cured herb there (this is from what i read, in central europe there is not a lot of colombian herb imported :D ) so i'm not sure that it's always preferable, but if handled equally well i'm sure i would prefer the colombian grown as well ;)

i hope to visit south america in the next few years and travel around a bit, maybe i'll get the chance to try the "real thing" then, until then i'll have to stick with what i got:

picture.php

this is one of the oaxaca x punto rojo i was talking about, it's definitely worth it to check out cannabiogens offer of punto rojo and mangobiche, especially since you write it's not easy for you to source seeds because of your situation, i can only imagine what you can get from these genetics if grown well at the place of origin (to get an idea check out bushweeds mangobiche outdoor grown down under...)

all the best for your project, i'll keep watching for sure!

good vibes

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reproduction

Reproduction

Columbian weed came in by the TONS back in the 70's. you would need landrace seed from the past grown in the same local soils under that strong equatorial sun in order to have the weed from the past . . it can't be replicated

attachment.php

Santa Marta Gold grown out on my patio in Bogota 2006

I plan to grow the original elite Colombians here in their natural habitat. I have collected seed from known local locations and can verify their authenticity. I am only trying to find the perfect location to grow them out.

attachment.php

Santa Marta Gold Sinsemilla air dried jar cured 2006

I have two places mapped out at the moment. But tons and tons of Colombian cannabis was exported all over the world years ago. And even the bulk mass produced commercial grade bud was as good or better than any other weed around at the time. Now just imagine how good the elite stuff is that never leaves the farm much less the country. This is the top self quality that few gringos ever see and it's never exported. This is what I grow, this is what I want to share.

attachment.php

Sweet sticky pure Colombian Gold

Last edited:

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow beautiful flower Sideshow, I love the blond leaves and the density of it. Obviously grown by a master. Actually though I have maybe a qp of top shelf seed from a variety of samples I’ve collected over the years here. Ha ha my wife is growing some now but in the window sill so they don’t get enough light to produce anything. But they are pretty, I’ll take some snaps for you and post them up. I have talked a little with Charlie and I feel his gear is indeed authentic, they have good connections here with the Colombians. There are many Spanish owned companies here and they speak the same lingo, as a matter of fact some of my best students (English) here are Spanish executives. I’m sure cannabiogen has the real deal although I’m not sure where the stock came from in Colombia. To this day I have never heard a Colombian refer to cannabis as “mangobiche” which is a common snack here in Bogota (green mango with salt). But like I say I don’t follow names here, I know what the good stuff is. Once I get set up at the finca I would love to try some well-bred imported strains even the “worked” Colombian strains. However at the moment I’m focusing only on elite Colombian strains that are unknown outside of their local region.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If anyone would like to visit Bogota please PM me and I'll be happy to show you around. However I don't have anything to do with Cocaine or prostitutes (I do know many beautiful young ladies (non prostitutes) here but I don't recommend getting involved with them. Right now it's sunny and absolutely beautiful in Bogota at 72f or 17c.

Gert Lush

Veteran
That punto rojo hash in your first post, red rider, wheww!
Tells a story just siting there!

I'd love to make it to Colombia some day, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond at the moment. :)

i just scored some seeds from a dude whos been saving seeds since the 70s.i dont know if its bullshit or not but i traded a couple grams a bud for a whole jar full of em.maybe ill find some columbian in it.wishful thinking?i tried to sprout a few but they havent popped yet.i really hope there as old as the guy said they are.i know the dude was pretty old and has been poppin beans for awhile.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Always welcome

Always welcome

That punto rojo hash in your first post, red rider, wheww!
Tells a story just siting there!

I'd love to make it to Colombia some day, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond at the moment. :)

Gert Lush you're always welcome, many folks here from the other side of the pond. I use to work for British guy here, I just couldn't keep up with his drinking (really pissed the wife off). Great guy though and he is very successful here too.

One thing I forgot to mention, there is a lot of garbage weed here. A lot more garbage than good, low potency, and or trashy effect. However looks and seeds mean nothing in terms of quality effect. Some of my best seed comes from really nasty looking stuff, so you can't judge a book by it's cover. But I had to go though pounds (literally) to find what I consider to be the best. A tough job but someone has to do it.

Lesnah

Hey redrider :)

Glad to see you posting again! always love to read your descriptions of your experiences in colombia!

In the past weeks i fell in love with colombian herb too, the oaxaca x punto rojo i got from charlie (cannabiogen) are some of the finest herbs i have ever tasted and the effect is unmatched for me: very care-free, happy, motivating, all around feel good herb :)

vaping some as we speak ;) can't wait to try the pure punto rojo and mangobiche too...

good vibes to colombia :)

Man you are lucky! I've been keeping an eye on that red Snake through their site but I don't think they're going to release it any time soon :mad:

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
A good friend just gave me a nice amount of Colombian seeds from the 70's. I don't know if they'll germinate, but I'll be giving them a shot in a little bit.

Gert Lush

Veteran
Gert Lush you're always welcome, many folks here from the other side of the pond. I use to work for British guy here, I just couldn't keep up with his drinking
Yeah, I'm not much of a drinker any more, maybe hit the bottle hard twice a year (or less)! Love good spirits, but getting pissed does little for me.

One thing I forgot to mention, there is a lot of garbage weed here. A lot more garbage than good, low potency, and or trashy effect. However looks and seeds mean nothing in terms of quality effect. Some of my best seed comes from really nasty looking stuff, so you can't judge a book by it's cover.
As a sativa lover lover, I know exactly what you mean.
My best stuff looks like nothing compared to glitterbud.
Yet it will beat it in strength, quality and complexity of high, duration, and even comedown effects by miles.

All I can say is look after the stuff you're selecting, you're the guardian of a legacy.

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Wow beautiful flower Sideshow, I love the blond leaves and the density of it. Obviously grown by a master. Actually though I have maybe a qp of top shelf seed from a variety of samples I’ve collected over the years here. Ha ha my wife is growing some now but in the window sill so they don’t get enough light to produce anything. But they are pretty, I’ll take some snaps for you and post them up. I have talked a little with Charlie and I feel his gear is indeed authentic, they have good connections here with the Colombians. There are many Spanish owned companies here and they speak the same lingo, as a matter of fact some of my best students (English) here are Spanish executives. I’m sure cannabiogen has the real deal although I’m not sure where the stock came from in Colombia. To this day I have never heard a Colombian refer to cannabis as “mangobiche” which is a common snack here in Bogota (green mango with salt). But like I say I don’t follow names here, I know what the good stuff is. Once I get set up at the finca I would love to try some well-bred imported strains even the “worked” Colombian strains. However at the moment I’m focusing only on elite Colombian strains that are unknown outside of their local region.

Thanks for the kind words! Interesting that you have not come across the term mangobiche, so it seems to be a "newish" denomination...

I'm very interested to see what comes from the seeds you collected and i really hope your dream comes true and you will be able to legally export connoisseur cannabis from colombia!

If anyone would like to visit Bogota please PM me and I'll be happy to show you around. However I don't have anything to do with Cocaine or prostitutes (I do know many beautiful young ladies (non prostitutes) here but I don't recommend getting involved with them. Right now it's sunny and absolutely beautiful in Bogota at 72f or 17c.

jeje que bien :D vaya, que no me interesan las putas o la coca, quiero ver el bosque colombiano, las montañas y las playas, conocer la comida y claro fumarme unos canutos de buena hierba colombiana :) thanks for the offer, will pm you if i ever make it to south america for sure!

Man you are lucky! I've been keeping an eye on that red Snake through their site but I don't think they're going to release it any time soon :mad:

I think charlie wants to work the line a little before public release, i'm sure your patience will be rewarded once they get released ;)

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was the spring of 1978 and my buddy from school had just picked up me and two of our friends. Every day we would go to his house and sit outside by the pool and smoke when his parents were at work. One day while we were out by the pool rolling up brick Mexican Justin my buddy came out of the house with a big smile on his face. He sat down at the table beside me and opened his hand under the table nudging me to look. He had a handful of bright gold buds, then he quickly clenched his fist and put it in his pocket. Then we started lighting fat pink joints of the Mex we had all pitched in to buy. It was pretty good Mexican, we paid about $50 for 4 lids or ounces. Nice green color with a menthol smell and taste, fully seeded. The high was ok if you smoked a bunch of it and that was our plan. We smoked maybe a half oz and packed everything up to go buy some ludes for this older guy in an apartment complex nearby. The dude was home when we got there and we bought one Roar 714 each and immediately took them with cold lone star beer. We started to smoke some of our Mexican with him but he said he had better and rolled a pin joint of Thai weed he had. I can’t remember the taste but I only got about 3 hits off the joint and I was speeding. That Thai was just like a rail of “crank” and I was talking a mile a minute until the lude kicked in. All four of us got off at the same time (older dude didn’t take one) and we were falling off the couch laughing. I could still feel the weed a little bit but I couldn’t stand up without falling into something. We were having a great time until the older guys girlfriend came over. Oh man this girl was a fox, long straight blond hair, big full breast and long legs. We were messed up and acting like fools unable to stop staring at her finer points. Soon dude had enough and rolled us out into the apartment complex. Somehow we found our way to the laundry mat where two of my friends got into driers and took a little ride with our help. One of them got sick and fell head first into a garbage can. We walked right out and forgot him there as we got back into Justin’s car. I got shotgun and the three of us took off to go to a store where we could buy beer. We had all that Mex with us and started smoking the car up when the local Police pulled us over. We all got out of the car cause the cop smelled Marijuana and wanted to search. I still don’t know why he didn’t search us first but I had the weed in my pocket. While the cop had his head in the car I tossed the big bag into some bushes. We had straightened up a bit from the lude and the cop let us go because all he found was roaches. So we got the hell out there but after driving around a bit we thought we should go look for the weed I tossed. It had only been maybe a half an hour since we left the stop but we looked around and didn’t see anyone. I went right over to the bushes where I tossed the weed when I heard the cop say “looking for this?” and he stepped out from behind the bushes holding up our bag. Scared the shit out of us as he told us to stand by the car. We swore it wasn’t ours and insisted that we had only returned to find my house keys that must have been dropped in his first search. The cop didn’t buy it but got a call and had to take off leaving us standing by Justin’s car. Close call but we took off into the night when Justin remembered the handful of weed he took from his parents. It was Colombian Gold of the finest quality, his professional parents only got the best. We smoked a big joint in the car as we drove around, it had an almost sweet coca cola incenses taste that was so incredibly good. Before we could finish the joint suddenly we didn’t know where we were, nothing looked familiar at all. It was late and no one was out but I didn’t recognize anything. We started to get paranoid, freaking at the situation, all of us grew up in that small Texas town. So we stopped the car and just nodded off in our seats. When we woke up it was light out and we knew exactly where we were, maybe two miles from Justin’s house. Once we knew where we were we smoked another joint of that gold and had a great day.

purple_man

Veteran
lolz, great story red!

keep em comming, ...

hope you find a way to grow some of them collected colombian beans soon :)

blessss

C

charlie garcia

Feliz Año

Feliz Año

Feliz Año 2015 amigos

First seeds Ive ever sprouted of cannabis were Punto Rojo, most ppl here along the time who had brought seeds and grew them here in Spain were most mexicans and colombians due easy access to it. Apart of other africans called in general congo, brought by sailors. Also Argentina and other places in Southamerica was recieving those Punto Rojo which competed in local market with the best paraguayas in effect and quality as also friends who grew them long ago reported to me. We talk about 80-early 90's.

I heard about Mangobiche then, maybe early 90's but it wasnt from north, but more from the Cauca, Cali and so. Some other know guys here had grown them in Spain before and gave me good references about growing them here. Finally with another friend in Bogota we tested for several years a few Mangobiche batches which I finally brought here to work together best founded. But I ignore its origins, as far as I ignore real origins of Punto Rojo or reds in general there but Punto Rojo was best you could get for decades until short ago as Red Rider reports. Aromas are so homogeneus and always was better yielder than Punto Rojo, you can recognize it so easely due aromas. Could be a different line? Could be a cross with Punto Rojo? I dont know. Wish DNA job commented in other different threads may bring some clarity in near future

Fact is last decades were so complicated in the country due terrorism, violence, narco and so and always drugs were associated, cocaine, marihuana, opium... I have noticed a strong break of knowledge between colombian generations in terms of cannabis culture. New guys dont know much about older colombian weeds, were born already into the "hidro", the new stronger and more expensive weed, the cripa, the commercial weed sold today.

best vibes all
kaiki

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greeting Charlie and happy New Year to you, thank you for this information. I first sampled Colombian around 1976 in NE Texas and it was much better than anything else I had tried before. The Mexican brick we got was terrible, not only full of seeds and stems but no potency at all. A pound of this brick could be bought back then for as little as $70 and it was everywhere. Then I tried the Colombian and got high for the first time in my life. Even the regular commercial Colombian was much better than all but the finest Mexican (Acapulco gold) that was so rare I only found it 3 times. The good Colombian however stopped around 79-80 and we started getting bulk shipments of “mersh” (short for commercial) Colombian. It had the unmistakable smell and taste of Colombian but it was small super seedy buds with a strong but dirty buzz. And it was everywhere but the Mexican got better with semi seedless Mexican red hair. Then I went into the army in Germany and when I returned to Texas in 83 the Colombian was gone altogether and was replaced by domestically grown Sinsemilla. I never saw Colombian cannabis again until 2002 when I went to Cartagena for the first time and began my love affair with the country.
There are so many types and strains here in Colombia it would be impossible to categorize them all. Reds, gold, green, red point, orange and of course now crippy (this is how I hear it pronounced) most good some exceptional. And even though I live here (7 years now) I am in contact with very little of what’s here. I simply don’t have the time or money to scour the countryside finding sample, I wish I did.
So what I find I try to show the world what is here at this point in time from my limited local contacts. I can state that crippy is not a strain but a name for non-compressed seedless Colombian grown imported genetics. Some crippy is very indica dom (like Afghan) and some Sativa dom like haze and all in between but it doesn’t smell or taste anything like the traditional Colombian. Then there is the “regs” that is seeded compressed field weed that no one here wants anymore however some can have a very good effect it’s not pretty or super aromatic like the crippy.
As I’ve stated earlier there are small pockets in the countryside where cannabis is cultivated on a very small scale. Not the commercial and traditionally known growing areas (Valle del Cauca, La Guajira, Magdalena and Choco). These small micro climates are so remote and not controlled by narco trafficers that they have not had an influx of imported genetics. I have found a couple of these rare Colombian strains and this is where my interest is. Outsiders (even Colombians) never see this cannabis, it’s not sold or transported out of the local region. It is my dream to “work” these strains here in their native environment, inbreeding them to perfection. I know it’s a crazy dream but I have every intention to bring it to reality.
As far as mango biche, I have no doubt it exists, it’s just I’ve never heard of it but my sources are not reliable when it comes to names. It’s funny because one time I asked a Colombian friend here to get me some “magic mushrooms” and he took me to Olympica (a grocery store) because he had no idea what I was talking about.
This year I’ve been working with a marketing agency making TV advertisements for an English institute here and one of the producers is a young Colombian guy. He and I became friends and sometimes he comes over to my house to hang out. He does smoke but only on a basic level, never buys or grows, just burns at parties. My friend attends the National University here in Bogota, I also work there sometimes as well. He introduced me to some of his friends that are serious cannabis enthusiast and I did talk with them at length about it. What I found was these guys know nothing about the old strains or even that Colombian was once the best cannabis on the planet. I didn’t ask them about the mango biche (I will when I see them next week). But they talked mostly about hydroponics and imported genetics. And I did sample some very nice crippy with them. Last month when I scored the Nobsa cannabis I turned on my young Colombian friend. Like I said he doesn’t smoke often and after two nice hits he was there. He told me that he had never been that “high” before and still felt the effect long after he left my house. It’s funny because he said he didn’t want any more of it and would stick to his more calming crippy.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lumbo

Lumbo

Now here’s some “regular” Colombian I obtained a couple years ago. You can’t give this stuff away down here now (I think I paid like 30,000 Pesos ($12) for a lb. Full of stems & seeds, untrimmed, flat small buds. However it was indeed potent with very euphoric intense effect. It might have been a little sleepy in the finish but no headache or negative feelings.

attachment.php

Young Colombians won’t touch this stuff but you can find the bums smoking it on the streets of Bogota. I have no idea where it was grown or its genetic origins but I do know that it’s exactly like the better commercial (not the mersh of the 80s) that I had in the mid-70s. Same look (maybe not as beat up) same smell, taste and effect.

attachment.php

I like this kind at certain times when I want to smoke more than a hit to get high. I could roll a hog leg and puff while drinking a cold Poker (Colombian beer) and feel great. There is still a big piece of my heart in this old lumbo and I will be growing it as well, curing in the traditional “sweat” method.

attachment.php

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I have found a couple of these rare Colombian strains and this is where my interest is. Outsiders (even Colombians) never see this cannabis, it’s not sold or transported out of the local region. It is my dream to “work” these strains here in their native environment, inbreeding them to perfection. I know it’s a crazy dream but I have every intention to bring it to reality.

I'm so happy that you have this dream. There is a great need to have these heirloom strains preserved. Please be safe my friend.

Last month when I scored the Nobsa cannabis I turned on my young Colombian friend. Like I said he doesn’t smoke often and after two nice hits he was there. He told me that he had never been that “high” before and still felt the effect long after he left my house. It’s funny because he said he didn’t want any more of it and would stick to his more calming crippy.

This is exactly what has happened in the United States. When I was young, smoking Mexican, Colombian, Thai Stick, Jamaican, and such, the idea was, and still is for me, to use marijuana for it's hallucinogenic effects. With the younger generation it is all about the "relaxing" effects. Potency is being judged by the mind blurring effects instead of the sensory enhancing or mind expanding effects. I still refuse to confirm anyone's opinion that Cannabis is more potent than the higher quality old heirloom strains. I always state my reasons why. I'm simply looking for and judging by a different set of effects. Most Cannabis has complex highs with many different and even contradictory effects mixed together, especially the heirloom strains.

Colombian strains are not even my prime example of the mind expanding types of Cannabis. To me, Thai Stick was the gold standard of mind expanding, too scary for most, though I have had better without the extreme adrenalin rush that Thai Stick had. I still have very fond memories of the time just before when Colombian was king, commercially. The time when the high grade Colombian strains were the new exotic import, and there were so many different varieties of it. So... I love this thread and your quest.
:tiphat:

I can't hardly believe that your pictures of the buds look so much like how I remember those buds looked like when I was I a kid. Keep them coming!

ThaiBliss

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ThaiBliss once again I agree with you 100%. I've had Thai stick and loose buds back in the 70s. It was the only thing then that was stronger than the best Colombians(it was also the most expensive when available). Very trippy, intense, long lasting effect, I have to write a story about one of my Thai experiences from the past. Thank you so much sir!

The Revolution

Veteran
RR I admire your love for the old colombians and plant in general. I really enjoyed reading your thread. I too have a dream of finding the gorgeous colombian woman to settle down with. I am very aware of their tempers, and stereotypical mood swings. Be safe man! Best of luck in your journeys, an I hope you get where you are going

Latest posts

Latest posts