What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

baet

It is impossible to grow plants that produce the QUALITY of HIGH that was available back in the day, there is a world of difference between a high altitude outdoor, tropical full season pure sativa and the indoor hybrids of today. Like others said, if you think comatose is the height of the cannabis experience, then you don't understand at all.

how is it impossible to grow plants of the quality of high from back in the day, that is an extremely weak argument sorry, impossible is an absolute, you dont still think there is high alt tropical sativas being grown today??
there is still alot of outdoor sat/satdominant strains grown outdoors all over the world today, including my backyard. you have to know the right people or obtain the right genetics. if you only have access to indoor mid grade indo thats commercially produced then i understand, but just because you had potent ganja in the 70s, and now you dont, doesnt mean it ceases to exist. and if youve been smokign for 20 30 years, dont you think maybe your tolerance and overall thousands of experiences with cannabis might influence your high or lack off complexity in one.

of course exotic herbals being imported from places like thailand, cambodia, and etc are going to have a better more complex high than indoor bland genetics. but these possibly more dull genetics are easy to grow and fast flowering, so theyve flooded the market, and it makes sense, people want to make money.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
~Cheap Michoacan colas~ reminds me of Cheech and Chong. I can't say "Michoacan" without thinking about the way Cheech Marin used to say it, 'cos that's where I learned that word, maaaan! Far out, man! Oh wow!

Megas

That's true. Exhibit A- High Times January 1976, centerfold- Mexican Grass!
picture.php
This thread is by far my favorite. I am loving this.

There's an article out their I think on CC about how Cannabis has evolved with us I see it as totally true we are the ones who are changing it like crazy. I am sure this is a Sativa but wow.

So I ask you older guys this, were Sativas from the 60s and 70s did they have like wicked thin leaves or what? I'm guessing they have gotten bigger from introducing them with Indicas but I'd love to see some super thin sativas today that haven't changed since then if anyone has any.

The only strain that I always wanted to grow cause in my mind seemed like a relic of the times was Dalat. I'm likely wrong, just seemed like it would have came back from Vietnam with some of our boys.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of the home grown during this time would have a similar look to the mexican you are showing, Megas. Hard to get a full sativa mexican to finish in the lower 48, and they would look just about like those. Home growers would often chop, drag out, and hang. No trim.
I don't remember ever seeing weed that was actually grown in Mexico look like that.

'75-'76 you could buy a quarter pound of mexican homegrown for about $50. A quality QP of mexican (before paraquat) would go for $100-120. Most always seeded at least somewhat.

During that time period myself and my pals each had a coffee can that we would tape a piece of screen across one end. With the plastic lid on the other end, we would sift all of our bags as soon as we would purchase them. The screen held the seeds and stems, and the shake was all inside on the plastic lid. We would only keep seeds from the best stuff, and hundreds of thousands a seeds per year were simply thrown out.

Squiggles

this thread is a trip, awesome work four seasons
i have got a question for you mate
back in the day i used to get bags from a local bikie group
they called it pilbara poison, the name means nothing
it was purple/black slender sativa buds
all the info i could gleam from them is the seeds came from africa
this is a long shot but do you have any old pics of black dope
or any info i could use to find out more about it ?

as to the smoke one little joint was enough for several people
two puffs and i couldnt get out of my chair
hope you can help

Definately one of the best threads EVER on ANY forum. Almost brings a tear to my eye...if they weren't so dry.

I went on a surfing trip to Costa Rica in '02/'03 and there was this eccentric American who had what I could best describe as an endangered or virtually extinct landrace sativa preservation reservation. He provided several meals for my companions and I and let us walk through his amazing field of dreams while giving out samples of several varieties. Everything was top notch gear and his Thai left me speechless...very surreal with waves of euphoria, perfect for surfing.

According to several people who were in contact with him, he dissappeared off of the face of the earth...which is too bad considering all of the old-school genetics that he had.

Keep the scans and pictures coming!

ngakpa

Veteran
I don't know what's more annoying - the people claiming that there's been no good ganja and hashish/charas since 1970-something... or the youngsters looking at the pics of classic oldschool dope and saying "that looks shit compared to our indoor blahblah buds"

that Mexican shite from the High Times centrefold had hardly started flowering

Golden Lao Ganja 2009 --- pungent sandlewood aroma, beautiful, potently intense high

Nepalese Jungli Handrub Charas 2007 --- one year old high mountain handrub, citrus and carrot aroma, visual soaring intense high

Shiberghan Afghani Garda Charas 2006 --- dense but maleable, chocolate juniper and orange aroma, potent decadent high

Malana Cream Handrub 2008 --- soft, dark amber, malty sweet herbal aroma, intense uplifting high

If you haven't been there since 1970 or you've never left your hometown nor smoked anything except bland indoors buds ---- then you don't f-ing know, end of

All Best

Namkha

Attachments

• LaoGolden2.jpg
    LaoGolden2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 86
  • NepalLangtangJungli.jpg
    NepalLangtangJungli.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 102
  • Overall plantview
    Overall plantview
    72.6 KB · Views: 94
  • MalanaCream.jpg
    MalanaCream.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

baet

I don't know what's more annoying - the people claiming that there's been no good ganja and hashish/charas since 1970-something... or the youngsters looking at the pics of classic oldschool dope and saying "that looks shit compared to our indoor blahblah buds"

that Mexican shite from the High Times centrefold had hardly started flowering

Golden Lao Ganja 2009 --- pungent sandlewood aroma, beautiful, potently intense high

Nepalese Jungli Handrub Charas 2007 --- one year old high mountain handrub, citrus and carrot aroma, visual soaring intense high

Shiberghan Afghani Garda Charas 2006 --- dense but maleable, chocolate juniper and orange aroma, potent decadent high

Malana Cream Handrub 2008 --- soft, dark amber, malty sweet herbal aroma, intense uplifting high

If you haven't been there since 1970 or you've never left your hometown nor smoked anything except bland indoors buds ---- then you don't f-ing know, end of

All Best

Namkha

exactly ^

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
loved the thread. going into the RUST.

Nagakpa stated it perfectly. The genetics of those plants are fantastic. Some of them anyway. If you guerilla grow sour diesel from seed with no ferts and don't amend the soil it won't be exceptionally pretty, that doesn't mean it's not great weed.

But thinking that the weed sucks or that it is gone or whatever is just silly. Some are gone and many aren't publicly available but look at deep chunk. Superb smoke. Truly some of the finest I've ever seen. Properly grown good herb is great whether it was done in 1900 or in 2000. It's just with our technology and communication today we have made the exceptional the norm. But sour diesel can be stringy, leafy, and low on resin too if it isn't grown right.

Nowadays you can just ask dealers on the street for indoor kind bud and they can get it. But that's only been in the last 15 yrs in many places. Prior to that it was still field grown mexi brick. It's not like dank didn't exist in 1990 its just that a market large enough to give it to people hadn't developed. It was very rare and exotic. Just like thai stick in the 70's. Most of what people smoked was mersh grade field weed, not thai stick.

But even today you can go to small towns and all they have is crappy mexi brick that literally might have been cut down 6 wks into flower on a 100 day strain (just like in 1979) or for a little more $ you can get mids which are a higher quality, taken when ripe, etc. But still imported brick weed. Just like in 1979. It's just that today we have industrialized kind bud and made it where we don't consider it rare and exotic.

It's strange when people act like they are looking at paleolithic spears or something. All this happened in less than 20 yrs. Ten for some people.

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
And aaah the good new days

:)

Highland Thai - purple calyxes - 2007

Highland Thai -can reach 5m - 2007

Lebanese (Mount Lebanon) - 2009

Golden Lao - 2007

Attachments

• LebaneseSep13_71a.jpg
    LebaneseSep13_71a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 76
  • HighlandThai.jpg
    HighlandThai.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 77
  • HighlandThai2.JPG
    HighlandThai2.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 73
  • HighlandLao2.jpg
    HighlandLao2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 72

bythetracks

This thread is by far my favorite. I am loving this.

There's an article out their I think on CC about how Cannabis has evolved with us I see it as totally true we are the ones who are changing it like crazy. I am sure this is a Sativa but wow.

So I ask you older guys this, were Sativas from the 60s and 70s did they have like wicked thin leaves or what? I'm guessing they have gotten bigger from introducing them with Indicas but I'd love to see some super thin sativas today that haven't changed since then if anyone has any.

The only strain that I always wanted to grow cause in my mind seemed like a relic of the times was Dalat. I'm likely wrong, just seemed like it would have came back from Vietnam with some of our boys.

generally, the closer to the equator the strain is acclimated to, the the thinner the leaves. so columbians and central africans had thinner leaves than mexicans and thais(the main growing areas were in the far north of country) which had thinner leaves than afghans and middle eastern strains.

there was still a variety of imported non-mexican sativas through the end of the eighties: thai, columbian, panamanian, belize(was the third biggest importer in the mid eighties). but most of it was commercial not connoisseur grade. remember that marijuana use declined sharply for the whole 80's after peaking in 1979/1980. people didn't want to hear about stuff associated with the sixties. exotic mj wasn't cool or trendy, indica and sinsemilla were the fads for the people who were still smoking. at least outside of the deep south and the southwest, homegrown indica/hybrid was very available in the early eighties at the higher end of the market like among yuppies(maybe not at your local jr. high school it wasn't). there was large scale outdoor growing in the northeast and midwest at that point then the gov cracked down with helicopter and long prison sentences and that's when indoor exploded.

there are still isolated smugglings of stuff from tropical countries, and even hashish, its just a tiny part of the market, like less than 1%.

J

jaded1

great thread four seasons,love the pics.we still get a lot of thai over here,also african weed.have had bud coated in resin that wasn't all that and have had seeded shitty looking weed blow me away.still occasionally get very nice thai weed,,most my mates won't smoke it,don't like the buzz makes em all paranoid.buzz is nothing lke most commercial bud,very racy and a bit edgy

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
And aaah the good new days

:)

Highland Thai - purple calyxes - 2007

Highland Thai -can reach 5m - 2007

Lebanese (Mount Lebanon) - 2009

Golden Lao - 2007

Nonsense, those don't exist anymore, lol

Nice thread, loving the pics and funny history stories!
Keep em coming,..