What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

vertical growing.........maxing out your light!

G

KingRalph said:

that oughtta give you all some ideas. it doesn't get any better for home buildable vertical. built in memoriam of 00420 and honor of DrawoH, may vertical reign supreme for many years to come. have fun. stay safe. peace. :joint:

Nice system King.

Glad to see you got it together. Let me know how well it works.
Later,
BG

G

Go to Homegrownfourtwentydotcom and look at Heath Robinson`s "Heath`s got the vertical bug again thread".........Absolute "DIY" genius.........Inside area 4'x6' with 2 sylvania 600 hortilux`s and over 80 plant sites that produce well over 1 oz. per with clones.....He uses it for seed development projects..........Peace....DHF....... :joint:

alphacat

kuskus said:
I remember a guy on OG a few years back who was getting upwards of 8oz with his 250W in a vertical scrog configuration.. Looked like a pain in the ass to do.. Still interesting though.
Biggest pain in the ass - or pains, rather - would probably be A) preventing mold, which in such close quarters could melt your crop in no time flat; B) training to the screen, especially if you had no experience; C) controlling internal temperature.

Something else that just dawned on me that seems worth investigatin' - for lighting, what about a vertical circular array of T5's? Maybe 8-10 T5's... maybe even a reflective cylinder with some air uptake vents in the middle?

vt5wy9.gif

:chin:

bobblehead

Veteran
GrowDoc and Northern Farmer have taken over as far as vertical growing is concerned. GrowDoc has already implemented my idea of using shelves. So I guess that really makes it his idea... lol

alphacat

Sorry to hear about your loss, bobblehead. That blows... but karma will settle up with those who wronged you, no doubt.

I like the stadium approach, always have... but it seems few people are interested in the scrog approach over a sog (as the stadium is). Wonder why?

blAsia

I've got one going now. only 2 cool tubes ... one 400 hps, one 250 hps which is getting switched out to 400 mh after this harvest. I will run them, for power savings at 2 hrs hps, then 8 hrs both, then 2 hrs hps (so, dawn, midday, dusk--saves a little, but that helps me on the $$$$ and lets the plants see more natural light shifts).

Right now, most leaves are 8" from the tube, thats about as close as they can get without burning/overheating with stress. But, it seems that the light waves better penetrate through the plants and a horizontal plane, cause the buds in the back of the plant aren't really suffering.

I figure once the two 400's are up and running i can almost go 2 deep in some areas, which will give me about 14 plants total. Not much, but it is for me and a friend only--actually he pays me to babysit his plant, so each harvest, he gets his plant. I don't sell, he just pays me for nutes, electricity and the like.

Anyway, I was thinking about switching back to overhead lighting as it just seems more natural. I won't know until after this harvest, but right now, the buds seem to be fine with the lights.

sucky ass sativas with their long ass flowering time. They will be nice, a real heart stomping stone, but I like a couchlock stone better.

rr14

00420 said:
just a few hehe......

i got my first 60 site for 595 + 100 shipping..... ( internet)
now my hydrostore carrys them....i payed 1300 for 2 ( including shipping )

but for all of u just wondering.......

there's 2 types of 60 sites....

1)mini mod basic system 493.96 wholesale 823.26 retail
2)mini mod add-on 451.41 wholesale 752.35 retail

i dont know what the dif is...... i use & run the add-on system's

by the time u go buy the part's and get it ready.......

does anyone know where to get a coli for cheap? All the internet pricing is much higher? Anyone know someone selling one used?

bobblehead

Veteran
blAsia said:
I've got one going now. only 2 cool tubes ... one 400 hps, one 250 hps which is getting switched out to 400 mh after this harvest. I will run them, for power savings at 2 hrs hps, then 8 hrs both, then 2 hrs hps (so, dawn, midday, dusk--saves a little, but that helps me on the $$$$ and lets the plants see more natural light shifts).

More light means more buds. The electricity cost now will be well worth it in the end. Think of it as an investment.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I'm verti growing with a scrog.

This cab design and growing it has been challenging, but its been rewarding!

Anywho. heres the first day with the screen in.

I dont think I'll break the gram per watt barrier, tho' but once I have things dialed in I think I can get there.

full time daddy
Veteran
i cant wait to go vertical...
i have retired mine after 5+ yr......
hopefully some one can post up there's this is a wonderful unit. i will try and repost all the pic of this thread to bring it back so everyone can learn
i have out growen the coli, found something that hit's 3+ a light {i will be sharing shortly} the coli got me to 3 but neva over like now.........

this is from half of one side

Last edited: