What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

vertical growing.........maxing out your light!

somoz

Veteran
no stress 420. thanks for the reply and i hear ya on the spray vs the individual drip on each plants. i'd post a pic of this system that i'm tryin to dial up but me not allowed, so i'll try to run it by ya pure verbal.

basically i wanna take 6-8 pvc pipes(not sure how big OD i'm gonna go yet, thinking between the 4-8" mark but still thinkin) and run them in a U around the room but more like a square u if ya dig. i already have one cooly runnin and just need a tube for my other 1kw.

anyway lookin to have each pipe 5ft to 5 1/2ft long and i'm gonna try and get 10 to 25 plants per pipe. decided on pool noodles as my no medium and what i'm really debating is how to water???? :dueling:

one idea i had would be to slant all the pipes so they drain right back into the rez but that might be a real bitch as far as construction goes and the weight of the system completely full suspended on a wall might not be such a smart idea. :pointlaug

so then i was thinkin instead of drips or a dtw idea why not slide either another smaller pvc pipe with super tiny little holes drilled in them or some sort of other plastic watering line and use that as my sprayer. my only concern with this is that when the root sytem develops it may engulf the supply line and clog it up. :badday:

i got a lot o shit swirlin in me brain right now tyrin to suss this out so if anyone has any insight, comments, concerns, etc hit that post reply icon.
thanks now. somoz :wave:

Purgatory

somoz said:
hey there 00420. thanks for the informative thread here it's been a good read. i've been lookin at vertical for the past year now and i just have a couple of questions for ya.

do u do dtw or drip system? i think i read u said u were gettin clogs so u switched it up to drip. if this is the case would u mind elobarting on ur watering schedule, type of drippers used, etc.

the room i want to use right now is only 3x6x8ft. i was thinking of either doing something like drawo or doing something like a coli but arts and crafts style. so i would build it. my idea is quite simple, i'm just stuck on watering due to the weight of the system combined with the water so i was thinking a drip system might alleivate this problem.

sorry im really gonna ask a lot here on this one so i understand if ya don't get to it all. are u veggin soley in the coli or do ya do a veg and then transplant. if transplanting how do ya go about this? as far as ur using a perlite mix with net baskets and any medium? i've heard people using the beer cups and a bunch of other methods? just tryin to get a better idea of what route to take before i go buy all my parts. appreciate any advice and thanks for urz time mate.

somoz

Hey Somoz, for your space requirements the only thing that came to mind would be the window garden, If your going to contruct it, i would go with something simalar to this. i'd use 4 400's with reflectors or 2 600's with reflecor's and face the lights right on those things.

:joint:

somoz

Veteran
thanks for the post purgatory but i think i'm actually gonna build something that instead of runnin up and down vertical style, i'm going to do something that looks like a ladder. so each pipe will be angled just a bit down so the plants grow up at a 45 degree and this way i avoid having to buy all those add on pipes. i should have it up within the next month i'm just waitin on the plants in the room to finish.

think i'm gonna start out with a 400 and 1kw and see what i can add from there. lookin to get 300+ sites overall. thanks again. take it easy. somoz

G

one got to do, what one got to do to keep safe!

Hope everything will clear up for ya, so you can get back on the track as soon as posible. Best of luck with it all!

Pali

urbanfarmer

That sucks, I just found your thread and now I can not see the pics. I hope things go better for you.
:chin: Just know you have helped people in their ideas.

Thank you,
UF

full time daddy
Veteran
Palindrome said:
one got to do, what one got to do to keep safe!

Hope everything will clear up for ya, so you can get back on the track as soon as posible. Best of luck with it all!

Pali

im back on track neva really went off but felt it was best to do this
i took the cash & upgraded my other systems and rented a new place

the coils are great but very high plant numbers! if your not in the right frame of mind or in a unsafe place dont even try......... if u do go with them 2 tings of advice....

1: dont show anyone online.
2: dont show anyone offline.
keep it to your self.

full time daddy
Veteran
urbanfarmer said:
That sucks, I just found your thread and now I can not see the pics. I hope things go better for you.
:chin: Just know you have helped people in their ideas.

Thank you,
UF

sry bro.....

KingRalph

hope you're settlin in there double 0 n that maybe a discreet buckethead or vertical cagemasta can make a comeback ;) sure you're plenty busy, keep it cool n take it easy. hey we's always around chat, peace man

C24 Tubular V-Scrog, 70 SQ FT Flowering Screen!

C24 Tubular V-Scrog, 70 SQ FT Flowering Screen!

Thanks to a couple of Czechs on grower.com , I've adapted their setup to get over 70 SQ FT of flowering screen inside of a Mills Pride C24 cabinet. I'm having astonishing growth/fill in during the stretch, using just four 150 watt hps lights...simple. No cool tube or reflector needed either. My design's in my avatar.

Pics are @ 4-5 weeks ago; now day 8 of flower, and over half the cab is filled, with tons of bud sites! This is my first ever grow (started and pulled some last year; security), and I'm telling you, it's gonna be a good one. All growth thusfar has been from the lower two 150s; just installed the upper lights.

G_MAN and prenda routinely pull 140-143g from their single 150 setup; imagine what you can pull with this system dialed in. 70 sq ft,10g/sq ft,...nice!

Last edited:

Keefhead

Well, I've been lurking here for a while, hoping there would be more on the cage. Well, if nobody else talks about theirs, lemme stimulate some. And I got a few problems I need help on, such as the watering cycle and such. Any cage folks out there?

The bottom layers are very sparse. The top is lush. The lighting seems to feed all the plants evenly. But is it? Anybody got a suggestion?

Well, that pretty much tells my story so far. Could my lighting be causing this? I'm running two 600w on digital ballasts. From the picture can you tell if there is a problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:

pineappaloupe

Wow, no posts here in awhile.

My friend just came back from a trip and helped a friend trim. He was raving about this vertical light setup, using soil plants, pulling over a gram per watt.

He described it like this: 4 plants surrounding 2 1k bulbs in a 4ft cooltube. The plant were trained to be tall and flat, eventually surrounding the bulb like the picture earlier that used the 150.

I am going to try this for my next grow. I figure 2 600w bulbs in a 4ft cool tube should support a cylinder 6 feet tall with a 2ft radius.

It seems like it is an even more efficient used of space. You coul run 1200w in a 4 wide x 4 deep 8 tall box.

Hmmmmmmmmm

The multiple plant setups are great, but it you are limited to 10plants in my county that isnt the best.

peace

alphacat

Amazing...

Amazing that despite all of the theoretical - and to a limited degree, proven - advantages of this grow style, do a search here for v-scrog or vscrog and you get surprisingly little, and none of it's recent.

Which leads me to ask;

why the hell aren't more people Vscroggin'? Maximized yields should appeal to everybody.

I ask because this is how I was thinking of setting up my next grow.

pumpkin2006

alphacat said:
Amazing...

Amazing that despite all of the theoretical - and to a limited degree, proven - advantages of this grow style, do a search here for v-scrog or vscrog and you get surprisingly little, and none of it's recent.

Which leads me to ask;

why the hell aren't more people Vscroggin'? Maximized yields should appeal to everybody.

I ask because this is how I was thinking of setting up my next grow.

At first, I thought the same thing, then I really started to research it. I've seen grows in the cage, omegas and that one with the door that closes up... can't remember. The real problem with them are, 1) the medium used and even waterings. Then with the omegas, the mold factor from dripping cubes. And finally the biggest problem that all of these systems have: Huge plant numbers; unless you got big balls and don't mind going to fuck me in the ass prison, people don't wanna run that many plants. I mean, I could take 30 huge plants and yield the same as 300 small plants. I don't wanna goto prison, I wanna grow weed. :2cents:

alphacat

LOL re: "fuck me in the ass prison" - yeah, that's definitely a concern.

Omega gardens sound like they're just asking for trouble, what with the mold factor as you mention and its reliance on not one, but two separate working electric motors...

However, I'm talking about the classic Czech g_man style, with no more than 4 plants in the double-tub "tube of green" setup, except I was thinking SWC instead of g_man's DWC or the Barrel of Green's soil.

Plant proximity is definitely something to keep an eye on w/ any scrog setup lest a little outbreak of mold turn into a whole crop of mush.

Any other potential problems though?

Latest posts

Latest posts