What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi Mj
im not really knowledgeable enough to explain it, but it's a bit of an old wives tale really, leaves do reflect more green light than red or blue but not a huge amount more, and they only reflect certain wavelengths of green not all green light (depending on the shade of the leaf). also some green light passes through the leaf.
afaik, red and blue light is absorbed near the surface of the leaf and after a certain level the efficiency of it's use diminishes, whereas green light penetrates more deeply into the leaf and is absorbed there. also the fact it is both reflected by and passes through leaves makes it bounce around and penetrate the canopy - in theory anyway :D

VG

unjust

hi mrred, the yield talk is all on page 15 and 16
I think he means pages 5 & 6.

Lookin nice Verdantgreen as always you bring out the best in any plant.It was your grows that made my mind up to switch to organics.
I have learnt alot from your grows as you are so good at explaining what your doing and never diss any1 when they ask even the silliest of questions:respect:
I have a ? , you mentioned you aquired some cheese a while back and wanted to give that a whirl, any plans to do a grow or did it turn out to be male?

Keep up the excellant work dude there are loads of ppl that dont post much like me and benefit substantually because your so thorough:tiphat:

Unjust

herbalpurple

Awesome shit and your plants are beautiful man! I am curious why you keep the plants so so green... I try to fade them before picking and flavor is like ten times better but weight is surley down a tad and they seem to flower longer when I keep them "charged or green" looking thru harvest. So what are your thoughts on the subject? Of course your herb is surely tasty I am not here to knock your gorgeous plants but I am curious if you noticed what I have or not. Also is the potency any different when using leds? I know that cfls surely show signs of weakness in that departmen.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi unjust, thanks for the props :), i did mean pages 15 and 16 - just a couple of pages back i posted all the yield analysis.
the UK cheese is a clone only so female. i still have a mum of it and have run it 2 or 3 times. nice smoke, a little mongy at first but nice after. great taste and ridiculously strong smell.

herbalpurple, you are right, this last run did stay greener than usual, perhaps i didnt reduce the N quite enough for the thai and blueberry, but the smoke is just fine and smooth. yellowing and senescence is strain dependent also. with organics the way i do it you tend to get great smoke nearly all the time as i dont really feed beyond what i put in the soil, and because i use big pots the soil mix is never that strong. it is possible to over fert with organics though and you still end up with horrible smoking weed, but i havent done that in a long time.

no pics of the Kentish creme this week, they are going well and nearly topped out i hope. they have stretched quite a bit and have some comedy style huge internodes :D
but all in all they are ok, especially KC2

cheers

V/

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i forgot to mention that the green tubes are both up and running again - seemed one of the tubes was faulty and they sent a replacement which seems to have done the trick

VG

perennial

shading a bud site. here are the reasons why k33 does his defoliation and why i dont feel i need to
1. yield - he gets good yields but mine are just as good or better - there is more than one way to yield well.
2. it stops 1 plant taking over a grow - my modules do exactly the same thing - keep the plant in it's allotted area.
3. gets light to the lower buds - scrog gets all the buds up top so again no need.
4. some strains dont like defoliation - i run new strains all the time.
no dis. to k33, i have repped him for his plants and we have swapped pm's about each others methods too, but defoliation kind of goes against the grain for me and my ethos. i believe that the plant knows best in most cases and try to let it make the decisions as much as possible.

VG

VG, love your threads. Do you think that maybe the fact you are using an LED might also factor into the equation as to how the SOG works for you? The LED has a sweet spot from about 7-10 inches from the light IIRC. A SOG puts all the buds right in that sweet spot.

K33 uses HID, i believe, and the extra penetration of the HPS would seem to really come into play when defoliating. I recently had a plant defoliated for me by fungus gnats. Once the veg leaves fell off the popcorn buds underneath really swelled with the extra light. I can see how defoliation might work and since I only have HPS right now I might try it on my next run.

LED is definitely in my future and I would probably go SOG with it.

Scrogerman

Veteran
WoW Mate(Verd), 'Verdant does Modular ScrOG not SOG man! just thought id mention that!

Hey Verd!
Looking good there man! im loving the healthy green colouring. hey bro i never knew plants used green light, its always been the advise for growers wishing to get into their grows at lights off, using a green light or Green light filter etc, all the books seem to point to that, im glad i never used one, i was gonna do it too at one point, got too Blitzed & lunched it out, thankfully, any links or info to the relevent info bro?
Btw man, Thanks for all the help lately, thanks to yourself & a few select others my ladies are glowing, espcially after using some Nitrozyme & HygroZyme, they both kick ass in soil, especially the Nitro, that stuff produces crazy growth, really works good, im impressed! I will now be getting some Alfalfa & Kelp Meal & or products containing these goodies, they have soo many good things in them from the Kelp etc its unreal, Anyway Looking good Buddy! Thanks again for all your Help Bro, im sure ill be calling in on ya again V-Soon!
Peace & Respect........Scroger! ;)

Oh i forgot, i think the serrationless leaves look mad, is that a Kush thing/Trait? where does that trait come from bro? Whats in the DC cross?, ?x Chocolate Chunk? theres a Choc Thai in there somewhere is there?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey perennial, i ran the cab with hps or cmh lamps for the year before i started this diary. (link in sig) in exactly the same way, but yes the 250 hps may have a little more penetration than the LED. perhaps with a 400 like k33 the 'disadvantage' to the plant created by removing all it's leaves is outweighed by the light reaching the lower buds, but i would hate to see my light just hitting the floor after taking leaves off, i do remove some leaves here and there though. its all about finding a way that agrees with you and your situation and most importantly, that you have faith in ;) there are many ways :D

her scroger i posted a couple of links somewhere on the last pages :)

VG

Scrogerman

Veteran
Wow Mate, Youve just turned growing under lights on its head for me, your the only person ive ever seen or read about using these Green lights, im sure there are others but your the first that ive seen, what your saying makes sense, i missed those couple of pages on your showthread, so im gonna have to read it from front to back now. Thanks for the inspiration man, impressed yet again!

Scrogerman

Veteran
Nearly finished reading your whole Show man,V-Cool, i never realised you had soo much hassle/trouble from Mite, ive been reading up on a product called 'Mite-Rid' which im hearing is a really effective organic systemic eradicator/destroyer, what im reading im liking so far, have you heard of Mite-Rid man? I might just order some, i was gonna get some Plant Vitality, but this stuff looks like it might actually do what it says on the tin with no adverse effect to us etc. Im blown away from what im reading about this stuff, im defo getting some, anyone know of a UK supplier? Good Luck Buddy!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey scroger, about the green light, we should wait and see if it works or not first ;) although i guess it will be hard to tell for sure. my first observation is that it may reduce stretch a little. the buds on my KC near the green tubes dont seem to have stretched so much. this is something i will watch out for in future grows.

the products i use for mites are mainly neem oil, and tbh if you use this every week when you dont have mites, then you will probably never have a problem develop. i also use a product called 'pest off' which is a starch based spray. i use this mainly so the mites dont get resistant to one pesticide.

with the last run i decided to try predator mites and so stopped the other treatments - that was my mistake as the predators dont work in under 14 hours light! doh!

VG

G

Green9

Just finished reading your grows (took a week..). Best grows and poster I've seen so far.
Always informative and helping when people ask questions.

Keep up the good work! :)

oldbootz

Veteran
im also interested in how the green light works for you. i tested some CFLs and they all showed quite a strong green band in their spectrum. but all i have read in the past was that green lights can be used on plants during the night time if you want to inspect them and it wont interrupt their light cycle because they dont absorb green light or something like that.

i have also read that plants in their natural habitat at the top of the canopy get normal light from the sun but ones that are lower down get much more green light due to the passing through of light from the taller plantes leaves and stems. this causes the plant to want to stretch more and reach the top of the canopy. but seems as if you are experiencing the exact opposite VG lol. science of grass growing is always more of an art than a science IMO. keep it up :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Green9 - welcome, and thanks for the kind words :)

bootz - you are the second person to tell me that i may get more stretch with green light so maybe my observations will prove wrong in time. tbh i have always had huge stretch with most of my plants and i put it down to the big pots.

---

ok, some pics, talking of stretch, here are the KC :D

KC1 at just under 4 weeks. this is the better one of the two, its a way over the screen but pretty much topped out and given that this is a seed plant with a reputation for not sidebranching, im pretty happy with it. i would say there is some thai in these genetics - it looks a bit like the lemon thai and my blueberry,
picture.php

KC2, 4 weeks again, this is the most brittle plant i have ever experienced, and ive broken more branches on this than all the other plants ive grown put together!, its nearly been pulled but will probably turn out ok, i hope.
picture.php

the DC is at 44 days now - probably a week or so to go, and its looking good. starting to yellow a bit now which is just right.
picture.php

and finally the power blacks, its official, i suck at sog! :moon: these have grown too tall again despite a 3 day veg. so i have fitted a screen over the 4 pots and bent over the tops. hopefully this will be enough. the genetics and hybrid vigor probably dont help the stretch, and my fetich for using as big pots as possible - 1gal for these 4, has bitten me on the ass. nice leaves though :tiphat:
picture.php

picture.php

VG :wave:

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
nice update VG....sucks about the sog goin outta control lol. Guess it will have to be a 12/12 from cut next time! Perhaps a lil smaller pot would help too. I like the look of that first KC...cant wait to see her fill out ;) take care!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks irie, yeah i sexed them in 1.6 litre pots and should have probably left them in there. a couple of them still have some stretching to do as well i think so i may have a bit more fun with them.

took a look at the DC and its pretty much ready and will come down next week. i have a nice sharksbreath that ive been vegging up and that will be a good test for the LED light and sidelighting. my SB cut has consistently yielded well under both HPS and CMH, and tbh, its pretty much the strongest bud and heaviest yielder that i have. its a bit too much of a heavy hitter for everyday use, but great for back pain or anything like that.

VG