i was just showing a buddy how to do a scrog based on your pics in this thread

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey thc thanks for stopping by

appolonio - probably beginners luck but i grew this cross out before and was very pleased with it, which is why im going to the next level and making f2's

hey MB - i hope my calculations meet with your approval :D
---

right, the yields and analysis on the previous run.

Powerplant yield was 54 grams, which divided by the actual power usage for the quarter,180/4 = 45w, works out as 1.2 gpw

Northern lights yield was 46 grams, which i will round down to 1gpw

and the Blueberry was 44g which i will round up to 1gpw

for the comparison to my 250 i wanted to give a true watt for watt analysis, and we all know that a 250 uses more that 250w so i bought a power meter to test my hps (magnetic ballast) and after half an hour on it read 302w, but lets call it 300w as a nice round figure, which gives a power usage of 75w per quarter for the hps. (please also note i have a very good reflector for my hps too, an ecotechnics diamond which are rated about the best on the market in the uk for the anount of light they reflect)
picture.php

i went back and recalculated my gpw for hps yields based on the real power usage which is only fair in a proper comparison.
the
power plant real gpw under my hps was 1.05 (as compared to 1.2gpw if you use the 250 figure - so you can see how these calculations often flatter hps for yield)
so for Powerplant, LED = 1.2 gpw, HPS = 1.05gpw which shows that watt for watt actually used, the LED yielded 14.5% more

for the Northern lights, i have used a grams per watt per month calculation because the yield data i have are for different flowering periods between 8 and 10 weeks
for LED we got 1gpw which for an 8 week flower equates to
0.5 grams per watt per month for LED

and for hps i have 3 figures for NL which equate to 0.53, 0.416 and 0.416 gpw/month so we take an average of
0.45 gpw/month for HPS
so NL, watt for watt, LED yielded 11% more than HPS per month

lastly the Blueberry i will use gpw/month again for the same reason.
the LED gave 0.4 gpw/month
(10 week flower) and the
HPS gave 0.33 gpw/month
so for the Blueberry the LED, watt for watt, yielded 20% more per month

gonna post this now before i lose it ;)

other things i should mention are that the Bb and NL were affected by mites during flower which will have reduced the yields a little in this LED grow. the Powerplant was largely untouched. the Blueberry also got a setback when i sprayed with neem and it burnt the hairs early in flowering - but it bounced back.

in terms of total yield for the cabinet the '250' HPS would beat the '205w' LED, but you need to consider that the 250 hps ACTUALLY uses 66% MORE electricity than the LED unit - which to put it into perspective is more than the difference between a 250 HPS and a 400 HPS

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all yields and analysis for the first LED run is on previous page

VG

Last edited:

MeanBean

hey thc thanks for stopping by

appolonio - probably beginners luck but i grew this cross out before and was very pleased with it, which is why im going to the next level and making f2's

hey MB - i hope my calculations meet with your approval :D
---

right, the yields and analysis on the previous run.

Powerplant yield was 54 grams, which divided by the actual power usage for the quarter,180/4 = 45w, works out as 1.2 gpw

Northern lights yield was 46 grams, which i will round down to 1gpw

and the Blueberry was 44g which i will round up to 1gpw

for the comparison to my 250 i wanted to give a true watt for watt analysis, and we all know that a 250 uses more that 250w so i bought a power meter to test my hps (magnetic ballast) and after half an hour on it read 302w, but lets call it 300w as a nice round figure, which gives a power usage of 75w per quarter for the hps. (please also note i have a very good reflector for my hps too, an ecotechnics diamond which are rated about the best on the market in the uk for the anount of light they reflect)
picture.php

i went back and recalculated my gpw for hps yields based on the real power usage which is only fair in a proper comparison.
the
power plant real gpw under my hps was 1.05 (as compared to 1.2gpw if you use the 250 figure - so you can see how these calculations often flatter hps for yield)
so for Powerplant, LED = 1.2 gpw, HPS = 1.05gpw which shows that watt for watt actually used, the LED yielded 14.5% more

for the Northern lights, i have used a grams per watt per month calculation because the yield data i have are for different flowering periods between 8 and 10 weeks
for LED we got 1gpw which for an 8 week flower equates to
0.5 grams per watt per month for LED
and for hps i have 3 figures for NL which equate to 0.53, 0.416 and 0.416 gpw/month so we take an average of
0.45 gpw/month for HPS
so NL, watt for watt, LED yielded 11% more than HPS per month

lastly the Blueberry i will use gpw/month again for the same reason.
the LED gave 0.4 gpw/month (10 week flower) and the
HPS gave 0.33 gpw/month
so for the Blueberry the LED, watt for watt, yielded 20% more per month

gonna post this now before i lose it ;)

other things i should mention are that the Bb and NL were affected by mites during flower which will have reduced the yields a little in this LED grow. the Powerplant was largely untouched. the Blueberry also got a setback when i sprayed with neem and it burnt the hairs early in flowering - but it bounced back.

in terms of total yield for the cabinet the '250' HPS would beat the '205w' LED, but you need to consider that the 250 hps ACTUALLY uses 66% MORE electricity than the LED unit - which to put it into perspective is more than the difference between a 250 HPS and a 400 HPS

VG

Yikes, is there any different venting needs?

U

unthing

Nice harverst considering the power draw (180-190 watts was it?)

Now waiting for the smell/taste/effect differences. Too bad that you can't run side-by-side with the same cuts.

jayww

VerdantGreen:

at what node do you top your plants before attaching the modular screen??
im new to scrog but really would like to go this route
sorry if its already been asked...

paint4420

incredible work! this really puts things into perspective for me and even gives me and others a really good opportunity to consider diffrent enivroments to grow in.

i love it!!!

you do your tests so well id like to see you tackle the "defoliation" technique

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MB nope, no extra venting with the hid lamp. i dont use an air cooled hood as i dont like the glass - and i use a 4" temp controlled fan to pull air through all my cabs.

hey unthing - yes, i'll update on the smell/taste etc. the Lemon thai i grew in my 63w led cab is very strong and pungent with a grapefruit smell, a better pheno than i grew in this cab. the powerplant, which isnt super smelly at the best of times, also seems a bit more aromatic too.

jayww hard to answer your question as every plant is different really. i do top my taller plants as i have a small veg cabinet but topping isnt always necessary with scrog. general rule with topping is, plants from seed - dont top until you have 4 or 5 sets of leaves or you will risk stunting the plant, and always top back to a mature leaf as the plant will recover mroe quickly

420ish, apollonio - i will be using the LED for the next round at least. i like the way the plants grow under it and i also like the reduced/more even stretch that you get under it. often with hps you end up with big inter-nodal gaps. also i am able to run my lights during the day with the LED (due to the reduced heat) and this makes looking after my plants much easier as i get more opportunity to get up the loft! when the weather starts getting colder again i will probably have to swap back to hps or otherwise i will have to use heating.
also, because the LED uses so much less power than the hps, i might experiment a little with supplemental lighting as i have wanted to try stuff like UV tubes for a while now but didnt want to up my power usage. i feel i have at least 100w to play with now without exceeding my self imposed limit ;)

paint4420 - thanks for the kind words, i like the defoliation thread but, because i train all my plants onto their individual screens, i dont have the problem of one plant out-competing the others in the cab and i dont need the light to penetrate so far in scrog anyway (some of the reasons that k33 uses that technique) i do remove a few leaves here and there but there is very little chance of me taking them all off like he does.- besides i usually get yields as good or better than him anyway :D. if i am considering removing a leaf i generally make sure there is another one under it to catch the light - i would never want light being wasted by shining on the floor.

cheers :tiphat:

VG

U

unthing

Hey

Bit more aromatic is interesting..You know people experimenting with switching between different bulbs during flowering. Hps to (c)mh to maybe make them bit more aromatic/potent/subtly different. I think have done at least one such switch yourself.

What about switching between led and hps in the same way. Maybe you've thought about that too, but wanted to bring it up. Maybe the total kwh could be roughly same ;).

Whatever is up, I'll look forward to it.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi unthing, in the short term im more interested in keeping the LED as the main light all the way through flower, because ive only done one run with it and that was affected by mites and a couple of other setbacks, also im getting pretty stable temps of 80-85 atm which are supposed to be ideal for LED.
also the Bb and Lemon thai got a little light bleaching which meant i had to keep them 8-9" away from the light - im starting to think that thai genetics may be susceptable to bleaching and hopefully all the ones i am running atm wont be affected and i can try getting the light a little closer.

as i said, LED offers quite a few advantages cabinets and micro grows and im still keen to experiment with them in the warmer months

VG

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
been lurking on the sidelines watching this one VG,glad to see you are runnung the LED again,very impressed with the last run and look forward to a trouble free run for you(hate the borg!!) K+ all around.... and i am a big convert to modular scrog thanks to you

cannaboy

You got me on the scroggs too mate small at the mo 60cm sq it filled the screen so quick!!! I am planning on getting 3 1m sq yield shelves that will go on old growtent poles at around 55-70 sm high each with a 400w 3 weeks apart I like the fact I can use the froinges/perimiter to grow palmed bushes of old skunks around my reflectors,, I can see the light with this method !!!

one Q

Quality
Veteran
VG! good stuff man.
can you do me a favor, wow I think I owe you one by now, and just post the end yield of both lamps? your average hps and what you got from the LED???

Im sick and dont feel like stroking a calculator right now...

just a plain ol grams for grams not grams per watt or efficiency. I know that it's part of the pros for LEDs but I just want to see final numbers.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey unc - hell yeah im sticking with the light! - as far as im concerned its more efficient than hps when it comes down to the gpw and also there are a few things that can be improved upon too. sure its a big outlay but tbh, the value of what you grow with it kind of negates that for me. cant wait to see what you are getting up to with modscrog - you not keeping a grow diary atm???

hey cannaboy, thanks for stopping by - glad you are liking the scrogs. yours sound nice, i would love to scale this style up myself but i just dont have the balls or the need :D
wait till you see the Kentish Creme mate - its responding quite well to scrog - for saying it's like a pole normally ;)

One Q - the total yield from the LED cab was 180g and i would say that the equivalent yield from the 250 HPS, with one light yielding plant (LT) would have been around 240-260g
and i know you didnt want any more figures but is should say that -

180g is 72% of 250g
but 182 watts is only 60% of 302watts (the real power draw of each lamp)

so you are getting 72% of the weed and using 60% of the electricity.

cheers - ill have some pics on thursday

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts