What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unclefishstick's Tartar Sauce Research Kitchen Redux

mr.brunch

Veteran
other then that they run cooler , can someone be so kind as to tell me what are the advantages of using LED over HPS ? I hear so many different conflicting accounts ..do they grow better flower?

I think being able to let the plants get nearer with no burning is very handy... I only done one led run so far,(I’ve been hps only for a lot of years) mars ts1000 with two plants and it did 184g from 150w.
The other two plants were under a 400w and only gave 117g, same strain, but all seed plants... buds were nice and smelly.
Electric costs should be a fair bit lower also

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lower electricity costs, not as much cooling needed (additional cost savings) which leads to terpenes and esters not "cooking off" under the heat of HPS lighting (better smells man!). Trichome development is equal or superior in my experience.

Only downside I can see is there can be a bit of a learning curve when coming from HID to LED. And the buy in price is higher.

I will politely disagree with Mr.Brunch about bringing them closer to the plants without burning them. It's very easy to light stress the plants because the heat you normally associate with HID lighting isn't there. I've stressed quite a few plants by having the lights too close and the light is just too intense for them.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think being able to let the plants get nearer with no burning is very handy... I only done one led run so far,(I’ve been hps only for a lot of years) mars ts1000 with two plants and it did 184g from 150w.
The other two plants were under a 400w and only gave 117g, same strain, but all seed plants... buds were nice and smelly.
Electric costs should be a fair bit lower also

Lower electricity costs, not as much cooling needed (additional cost savings) which leads to terpenes and esters not "cooking off" under the heat of HPS lighting (better smells man!). Trichome development is equal or superior in my experience.

Only downside I can see is there can be a bit of a learning curve when coming from HID to LED. And the buy in price is higher.

I will politely disagree with Mr.Brunch about bringing them closer to the plants without burning them. It's very easy to light stress the plants because the heat you normally associate with HID lighting isn't there. I've stressed quite a few plants by having the lights too close and the light is just too intense for them.

S~C, I'm not seeing an advantage in the vegitative state but in my flower room,the plant are loving the vertical orientation and spread of light.
My flowering plants are hit with decent amounts of light spread over the entire plant and group of plants without any trimming or removal of any plant matter.They also require less liquid.

I found the intensity of the quantem boards to be restrictive and too concentrated for my area but maybe with more headroom I can use them . They are too cold in my veg space too.

A quick synopsis,flat sucks,vertical very good for me. Very nice flowers.

so adding some vertical LED lights into a HPS flower room would be a good thing? my last run i hung a vertical bare bulb 1000watt HPS , it blew up the plants , but will cause me to go blind & i can't be having that>>>

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Somebody here does just that and swears by it. Can't remember who off the top of my head.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
I get much denser and seemingly frostier, more fragrant flower. The buds aren't as big imo but they weigh more.
I might try vert with mine too, and trellis to the opposing wall, using the panels on the doors of a larger cabinet.
With my micro vert I don't prune and get quality nugs from the ground up. I wish they made one of those little corn cob style lamps with these new diodes and drivers, to replace my 150w hps in the cabinet. It would probably only be like 75w, lol!
Yeah, I know VP is having some good success with the mix of L.E.D /HPS.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think you would be better off with the 1000w system...you can't forget the whole pi/r squared thing with lighting,the leds simply aren't going to penetrate very far in the way you want to use them.

vp is using them as fill lighting to beef up the light pattern of his main lamps,and in a tent where they benefit from nearby reflective surfaces.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
week 2 for the left side,week 1 for the right...really day 4-5 but to not be confusing i'm just gonna refer to them as a week apart...

lowered the right side screen and light so i can get the screen fuller quicker...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Nice, looking really promising in there!
I was wondering if you are using elevated levels of CaMg under your lights? Not sure if my mix/topdress was insufficient, or if these lights really do make the plants use those elements faster... Thanks!

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:dance013: got two more plants trimmed up today...

up to 953 grams for this run with two plants left to go...pretty sure they will be north of 120 grams,maybe even a nice round 1100 grams for the whole run...

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice, looking really promising in there!
I was wondering if you are using elevated levels of CaMg under your lights? Not sure if my mix/topdress was insufficient, or if these lights really do make the plants use those elements faster... Thanks!

yup,extra epsom salts and liquid calcium as a pH up

Yeah, I'm finding that out the hard way with my MindBoggle x NYCD. Week 3-4 of flower, she's starts looking real raggedy if I haven't been giving her extra. I like to think I'm starting to dial her in better, but time will tell.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:woohoo:all done trimming the second round from the led room...

1119 grams total!!

best gpw ever by far...first time cracking 1 gpw!

Latest posts

Latest posts