What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unclefishstick's Tartar Sauce Research Kitchen Redux

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup they are the old, outdated v1's lol. Cranked all the way up they draw about 510 watts at the wall. There is a bit of loss to the driver so the boards draw about 500 watts.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so i was just told the hlg panels are 550 v1's so they only draw 500w so i'm gonna do better than a gram per watt for sure!

picture.php

nickman

Veteran
Is that normal for the sunset Sherbert to go about 12 weeks..???...

Other dude testing karma’s Sherbert Ix x Biker Kush took them to about 85 days...
Karma had said he figured they’d be done about 8-10 weeks...

I’m just curious... I don’t really want to have to 12 weeks ya know...!!!... that’s kinda long

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is that normal for the sunset Sherbert to go about 12 weeks..???...

Other dude testing karma’s Sherbert Ix x Biker Kush took them to about 85 days...
Karma had said he figured they’d be done about 8-10 weeks...

I’m just curious... I don’t really want to have to 12 weeks ya know...!!!... that’s kinda long

i would consider 10-11 weeks normal for the sunset and the cherry cookies...the cherry cookies i know is a total light hog so they would no doubt do better and mature faster under the center of the panel...

i should have some far red initiator strips coming soon,so we will see if that has any effect on flowering times...i know this round the plants "crowned" at 10 days of 12/12 which is what i would expect under a hps...and this winter i will be adding a 400w hps for heat...

nickman

Veteran
i would consider 10-11 weeks normal for the sunset and the cherry cookies...the cherry cookies i know is a total light hog so they would no doubt do better and mature faster under the center of the panel...

i should have some far red initiator strips coming soon,so we will see if that has any effect on flowering times...i know this round the plants "crowned" at 10 days of 12/12 which is what i would expect under a hps...and this winter i will be adding a 400w hps for heat...

Ok, thanks for the fast reply...!!!...

What does the red strips do??? Just adds some red to the spectrum...!!!...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, thanks for the fast reply...!!!...

What does the red strips do??? Just adds some red to the spectrum...!!!...

yeah,i guess they tickle the plants naughty bits in just the right way to stimulate some flowering response,i believe the newer model v2 rspec panels include the wavelength these strips put out...

from what i remember they come on for 10 or 15 minutes before lights out...i will get a more detailed explanation when they get here...

nickman

Veteran
yeah,i guess they tickle the plants naughty bits in just the right way to stimulate some flowering response,i believe the newer model v2 rspec panels include the wavelength these strips put out...

from what i remember they come on for 10 or 15 minutes before lights out...i will get a more detailed explanation when they get here...

Kool man... :tiphat:...

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran

The V2's have added red, but not the flower initiating far red.

I want to add the flowering far reds to both of my grows. But HLG doesn't say how big an area one of their kits covers. And Growmau's version only covers a 3x3 area. So I'd need two of them in my tent and 4 in my big room.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The V2's have added red, but not the flower initiating far red.

I want to add the flowering far reds to both of my grows. But HLG doesn't say how big an area one of their kits covers. And Growmau's version only covers a 3x3 area. So I'd need two of them in my tent and 4 in my big room.

joe is sending 3 strips to cover a 4x8 area if that helps to know...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that's a weird error...

anyway,at some point i will invest in a couple of the v2 rspec panels or whatever the latest iteration is when i have the money for more panels. the v1's have more than proven to be worth the money since this second run basically paid for the whole room...the plan is to have two 4x8 flowering spaces for next summer lit with leds and a 2x4 and 4x4 area for summer veg lit with leds and then just use traditional hps/halide lamps during free cooling season...

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was so helpful I wanted to mention it twice, I guess.

Plan for me is similar. I've got enough room in the basement for another room 6x12. I want to put in a 4x10 bed that moves side to side for access and light it with COBs and a couple 315 CMHs on a light rail.

But that is probably 2-3 years down the road for me.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm going modular...just ordered a 4x8 tent and want to get a 2x4 and another 4x4...i will continue to add light as free cooling season progresses and then start shutting them down as spring approaches...

one big advantage i see with these leds is you can set up a 4x4 tent on a single power strip and the ducting is super easy since you dont have to run an air cooled hood so within an hour you could have another space set up...

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone interested in what the far reds do for flower Google phytochrome initiators. Basically what they do is come on after lights out for a few minutes to put the plants to sleep in minutes instead of 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
The theory is that plants do more growing during dark hours than light hours this allowing the plants gain more flower time in less days. That's my basic understanding anyway.

Goats

Anyone interested in what the far reds do for flower Google phytochrome initiators. Basically what they do is come on after lights out for a few minutes to put the plants to sleep in minutes instead of 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
The theory is that plants do more growing during dark hours than light hours this allowing the plants gain more flower time in less days. That's my basic understanding anyway.

been thinking about grabbing one of these and sticking it in the middle of my QB600H. i have definitely noticed my plants seem to take a lot longer to start flowering under my QBs than they did under HPS.

https://www.rapidled.com/far-red-initiator-puck/

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
other then that they run cooler , can someone be so kind as to tell me what are the advantages of using LED over HPS ? I hear so many different conflicting accounts ..do they grow better flower?

hayday

Veteran
S~C, I'm not seeing an advantage in the vegitative state but in my flower room,the plant are loving the vertical orientation and spread of light.
My flowering plants are hit with decent amounts of light spread over the entire plant and group of plants without any trimming or removal of any plant matter.They also require less liquid.

I found the intensity of the quantem boards to be restrictive and too concentrated for my area but maybe with more headroom I can use them . They are too cold in my veg space too.

A quick synopsis,flat sucks,vertical very good for me. Very nice flowers.

Latest posts

Latest posts