What's new

UK Outdoor 2012

B

buddymate

I lived abroad for years,spent a good deal of time in Borneo and suchlike places where the mozzies are particularly voracious,they cant take someone splashed in a high % of Deet,always works.
Good luck with the strain work Eddie.

MJBadger

Veteran
Leafhoppers are a bit of a rarity here , only ever seen one (rhodedendron) i think . We have a lot of vine weevil that attack anything mostly pot/container stuff although my MJ is ok as the eggs are laid autumn . Twice yearly dose of Nemotodes sorts that problem .
Biggest pest for me with MJ is Flea beetle , i have had youngish plants shot full of holes from the little shites & used to worry & treat with Derris dust . Now i don`t bother as it generally affects the plants when they are shorter & usually when the plant has grown to a decent height (2 1/2ft) it stops so only the lower branches are full of holes .

JGP

I've never seen a mosquito up here thankfully and midges don't bother me anymore for some reason, maybe I smell bad lol

MJBadger

Veteran
Well they reckon mossies don`t like garlic so in your case they obviously don`t like Haggis & Irn brew . LOL

JGP

Maybe there just scared we'll deep fat fry them, no wonder they prefer soft hanky waving morris dancers on the village green.

MJBadger

Veteran
no wonder they prefer soft hanky waving morris dancers on the village green

There is not a single dancer in our group called Morris . For a Far Northener you have a bloody good sense of humour

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
tribal waar ina babylon
i think that i may try some of those nasty sprays to deter the insect enemy, from the plants not me; chilli and garlic, tobacco etc. Surely there is something systemic to feed\spray the with?
How did you find the CMass, Soulfly?

MJBadger

Veteran
something systemic to feed\spray the with?

I know them mossie repel coils etc contain a lot of Citronella but as far as anything else i hav`nt a clue . Last couple of evenings we have had a load in the home , even the dogs getting bit on her belly .

edit , sorry i now realise you were on about plant pests . If you do a search on site here you`ll find loads of info .

rocket high

Veteran
tribal waar ina babylon

PMSL It's been going on since the Romans left the UK thousands of years ago.
Now we fight between ourself's instead of the Romans.

Nice weather were having huh ... wish i started a bit earlier now but i'll stick to my April plant date i think.

MJBadger

Veteran
Nice weather were having huh ... wish i started a bit earlier now but i'll stick to my April plant date i think.

Been talking about this elsewhere & a few growers have forgotten that if a standard plant is put out earlier it will not flower any earlier . Although the days are exeptionally warm quite a few places in Britain are on the fringes of ground frost at night so i`m gonna wait till May some time . Fingers x`d like always .

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
ive have some ready to go out and am going to put a few out experimentally early, ie in april, but recall a knowledgeable person saying that its about ground temp as well as air temp. too early and they hang about not doing much but suseptable to disease etc. I will find out this year.
lovely day...im off cycling to look for some new spots.
cheers guys

ditto eddie - had a look about on the bike this weekend. I`ll be leaving it for a while, too many people about to have large plants out n about so a late start works for me

MJBadger

Veteran
My temps in the garden have been around 20*C during the day & down to 1*C nearly every night . In fact on the BBC weather earlier he said that the actual grass temp at night has been down to -2 . Temps are set to halve at the end of this week/next week during the day so we ain`t out of the woods yet . Plants just won`t do well with a cold start , remember they are really a half hardy annual .

harold

i agree this week is a freak weather week, im not going to be tempted to plant too early outdoors, just incase... im going to wait for some rain to fill up my water catchers too.

rocket high

Veteran
Wouldn't like to be in the SE of England right now with the hosepipe ban going on ... if it is that bad has all the rivers/streams dried up?. Thats bad news for the guerrilla grow surely.

Im glad were not having a drought up here ....its looking good for us northerners so far :)

Last edited:
B

buddymate

if its that bad has all the rivers/streams died up?. Thats bad news for the guerrilla grow surely.
They havent all dried up mate,lots of water around here,I always plant near water but also going to use swell-gel AKA water retention crystals this season as I am moving north and wont be able to check my southern ladies often if at all before chop-chop time :tiphat:

MJBadger

Veteran
Well the weathers back to normal here , showers , cold days & light frosts at night . I reckon it`ll be a while yet before the temps up & the soil gets warmer . Time i think to drop a few beans in the prop this week ready for the plants to go out middle of may .
RH , yeah we are on the hosepipe ban as daft as it is , i remember them saying you can`t even use any tubing of any sort to siphon a bath as it`s classed as a hose . Then the twats tell you to save water , just a lot of overpayed twats in control .

GrowbagUK

I am getting excited for the new season. I always aim for middle of May planting time. Like you said MJBadger - not much to be gained by early planting but everything to lose.
Seen some tomatoes planted out on the allotment already (by the influx of trendoid middle-class with no clue which the media has created these last few years)- they survived a couple of nights.

Water courses look ok down here but farmers havnt started extracting yet. Everything going to dry up like last year round here once summer comes. Even my daily raindances have brought only a few mm rainfall.

You can see why ancient peoples made offerings to the gods to bring favourable weather for the coming season. We are really quite powerless in the face of mother nature.

Latest posts

Latest posts