What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UK---Gypsy in his hey-day Bloodsport on now

shithawk420

Veteran
Haven't seen that movie in a while.I should watch it again.too bad there wasn't any Jeet Kune Do or Ninjutsu which is what I train in.good movie though.is it really based on a true story or is that a myth?

Tynehead Tom

Tae kwon Do for over 20 years , kung fu and hakido for 12.
these days I still practice tae kwon do forms for exercise but did compete for over 9 years as a black belt in my younger days LOL

Slipnot

Tae kwon Do for over 20 years , kung fu and hakido for 12.
these days I still practice tae kwon do forms for exercise but did compete for over 9 years as a black belt in my younger days LOL

I also did martial arts as well as figureskating funny as it may sound both techniques made me a better hockey player on the ice
here a pic of me back in the day lol kidding
But all Bs set aside i did make pro status if you get paid does that make you a pro in sports ??

Attachments

• 300005.jpg
    300005.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 33

Tynehead Tom

I also did martial arts as well as figureskating funny as it may sound both techniques made me a better hockey player on the ice
here a pic of me back in the day lol kidding
But all Bs set aside i did make pro status if you get paid does that make you a pro in sports ??

hahaha I believe it does man.
I got paid to take people fishing..... makes me a pro-fishional sports fisherman LOLZ

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Haven't seen that movie in a while.I should watch it again.too bad there wasn't any Jeet Kune Do or Ninjutsu which is what I train in.good movie though.is it really based on a true story or is that a myth?

The movie 'Bloodsport' was based on the life of Frank Dux, who founded a Ninjitsu academy in California in 1975, here is some info on him, from his site.:

FRANK DUX: BEYOND BLOODSPORT

Frank Dux born in Toronto, Canada, in 1956, is the eldest son of Holocaust survivors. In the early 1960’s, the Dux family settled in the heart of California San Fernando Valley, what is referred to by martial art scholars as the “Valley Of Champions.” Since the San Fernando Valley is where leading martial art trade magazine and book publishers were located, becoming a figurative Mecca for leading Martial Art Masters and Competitors. Most of which, were teaching within a short distance of each other.

Unable to afford the tuitions to formally enroll in commercial schools shaped Frank Dux into becoming the Mixed Martial Art archetype, not fixated on pursuing any one style. Acting contrary to the then popular belief of puefecting “purity and tradition;” what Bruce Lee referred to as the “Classical mess.”

Frank Dux began his study by auditing the various styles of such greats as Bill Ryusaki, Bob Ozman, Bong Soo Han, S.B. Moon, John Leone and many other martial legends. Frank Dux who studied from them, stood on the outside looking in, the sidewalk his mat. In a 2002 documentary on no-holds-barred Kumite (that forms the basis of Bloodsport and MMA) Grandmaster Bill Ryusaki, sidekick to Bruce Lee and teacher to such Champions as Cecil Peoples and Benny “The Jet” Urquidez, says:

“Frank was just a kid then…he cleaned the sidewalk and kept the Ryu-Dojo windows clean and I kept my blinds open for him to watch and learn, I’d try to send someone to invite him in but he would leave before he would give me a chance to speak.” - Grandmaster, Bill Ryusaki

Link to Frank's website : http://www.frankwdux.com/KogaRyu.html

Frank was daily on the set of 'Bloodsport' at Clearwater Bay Studios in Kowloon, and was a scholar and a gentleman to all the actors/fighters, helping to choreograph many of the fight scenes.

He was, and is today a martial arts LEGEND.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Some more info on Ninjitsu:

Based on his understanding and personal beliefs that traditional Ninjitsu is inferior, Frank Dux did not abandon it entirely but embraced its principals and based on his own empirical knowledge established the first American system of Ninjutsu, Dux Ryu Ninjitsu and DUX FASST (Focus, Action, Skill, Strategy and Tactics). Due to its ferocity and measurable effectiveness, the DUX FASST tactical application system is only transmitted to elite Law Enforcement and Military personnel. A fact corroborated by Glock Monroy, the tactical advisor who teaches defensive tactic instructors at Mexico City Police Department’s Police Institute. Monroy is President of the professional association governing the teaching of defensive tactics in Mexico as well as in other countries throughout Latin America, FISMDC (Federacion International de Sistemos Mixtos de Defensay y Combate.A.C). Glock Monroy states:

“Mexico’s elite law enforcement agencies invested considerable resources and time in evaluating and utilizing DUX FASST. We found it provides a startling measurable and decisive advantage. So much so, that when being taught in Police Institute in Mexico City, all of its practitioners are fingerprinted and photographed. They must enter into individual confidentiality agreements stating that if the officer is discovered transmitting DUX FASST in any unauthorized manner they risk being discharged from the department as well as risk criminal prosecution. We hold it in such high regard… Frank Dux has refined close quarter combat into an exact science, identifying specific laws and formulas that will reproduce the same result, time and again. And yet, are flexible to meet the consistently changing nature of combat.”

I would be very surprised if shithawk has never heard of Frank Dux, if he is training in Ninjitsu.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice dude!
I was 18 when that came out and was a serious practitioner of the bud light style of fighting that ogre employed...spent my youth trying to perfect that brand of martial art! Right down to the Harley shirts! Ha
That was a badass film and it must have been something to be a part of!

My buddies feet are in the closing credits of "rock n roll highschool forever" but your story beats his!! Ha!

shithawk420

Veteran
damn Gypsy!!i was not expecting all that info.thank you.im looking at the original 1980 book"Ninja:spirit of the shadow warrior"by Stephen Hayes right now for the hundreth time.the original "American Ninja" if you wanna call him that.

St. Phatty

Do you do the hands in the sand thing ?

I had a co-worker named Blaine 35 years ago who was into Jeet Kune Do and pretty religious. He said he had buckets of gravel that he would work with his hands, like jamming his hands into the sand for an hour training session, to make his hands stronger or something.

shithawk420

Veteran
Do you do the hands in the sand thing ?

I had a co-worker named Blaine 35 years ago who was into Jeet Kune Do and pretty religious. He said he had buckets of gravel that he would work with his hands, like jamming his hands into the sand for an hour training session, to make his hands stronger or something.

Yeah I've done that.it works.ive fucked my hands up over the years nothing short of hitting steel really hurts them.of coarse I'm getting older.when I was in jail a few months ago I hit the steel bed out of anger it really fucking hurt but it's better now.hurt for a couple days.my hand differently looks a little gnarled but it's fine otherwise.

And Frank Dux was probably a fraud.he claimed to do all kinds of secret CIA assassinations and knew Dim Mak.
As far as I know Dim Mak is something considered a Black Art.its almost impossible to learn.or be taught rather.

My cellie in jail actually probably went to Japan to learn Ninjutsu.he claimed to have met Hatsumi.i didn't believe him at first so I asked him questions.at sure as shit he knew what he was talking about.he is looking at life for melesting his own kids so I didn't really talk to him.i call him the pedo ninja.sick fuck knew his shit though

shithawk420

Veteran
Some more info on Ninjitsu:

Based on his understanding and personal beliefs that traditional Ninjitsu is inferior, Frank Dux did not abandon it entirely but embraced its principals and based on his own empirical knowledge established the first American system of Ninjutsu, Dux Ryu Ninjitsu and DUX FASST (Focus, Action, Skill, Strategy and Tactics). Due to its ferocity and measurable effectiveness, the DUX FASST tactical application system is only transmitted to elite Law Enforcement and Military personnel. A fact corroborated by Glock Monroy, the tactical advisor who teaches defensive tactic instructors at Mexico City Police Department’s Police Institute. Monroy is President of the professional association governing the teaching of defensive tactics in Mexico as well as in other countries throughout Latin America, FISMDC (Federacion International de Sistemos Mixtos de Defensay y Combate.A.C). Glock Monroy states:

“Mexico’s elite law enforcement agencies invested considerable resources and time in evaluating and utilizing DUX FASST. We found it provides a startling measurable and decisive advantage. So much so, that when being taught in Police Institute in Mexico City, all of its practitioners are fingerprinted and photographed. They must enter into individual confidentiality agreements stating that if the officer is discovered transmitting DUX FASST in any unauthorized manner they risk being discharged from the department as well as risk criminal prosecution. We hold it in such high regard… Frank Dux has refined close quarter combat into an exact science, identifying specific laws and formulas that will reproduce the same result, time and again. And yet, are flexible to meet the consistently changing nature of combat.”

I would be very surprised if shithawk has never heard of Frank Dux, if he is training in Ninjitsu.

I had heard of him but didn't put two and two together until this thread.im only 32.the ninja fad was in the 80s before my time.Frank Dux has been proven a fraud.he can't keep his stories straight and has been caught fraudulent many times.not taking anything away from your part in the movie Gypsy.Van Damme is a good martial artist in his own right.bet you didn't know he originally had the part to be The Predator.i mean the guy in the Predator suit.its on YouTube if anyone cares.its kinda funny that suit is so shitty! lol

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I had heard of him but didn't put two and two together until this thread.im only 32.the ninja fad was in the 80s before my time.Frank Dux has been proven a fraud.he can't keep his stories straight and has been caught fraudulent many times.not taking anything away from your part in the movie Gypsy.Van Damme is a good martial artist in his own right.bet you didn't know he originally had the part to be The Predator.i mean the guy in the Predator suit.its on YouTube if anyone cares.its kinda funny that suit is so shitty! lol

- First I heard of the movie was when Madelina Chan from 'Faces' casting agency paged me - on one of those little pagers we used to have in Hong Kong back then - so I called her back - then I went to see her - and she put me in front of some director (Newt Arnold) - who was working on 'Bloodsport' - which at the time (1986) was the movie with the biggest budget ever made in Hong Kong ($5m) - so for us HK actors/extra's it was good for the economy -

The movie was about underground/illegally staged fights - featuring many different disciplines of martial arts - many styles - and follows the purported story of Frank Dux - whether this story is the figure of someone's imagination or not - I dunno - Screenplay's for movie's are often a bit of fact and a whole lota fiction -

- For Van Damme 'Bloodsport' was his very first starring role - it was 1986 - and both of us were 26 years old - and for me the proper contract and proper catering for the movie by Canon Films - made it far better to work on than many of the back-street small Chinese film productions I had worked on before - where you were paid $600HK (about $80usd) per day - no insurance if you get hurt - and got a polystyrene box for lunch - with some rice and pork-fat - maybe an egg - if you were lucky -

eastcoastjoe

In the movie 'Bloodsport' many different martial arts styles were exhibited, Wing Chun, Wu-Shu, Monkey Style and other types of Kung-Fu were shown, along with Taekwundo, Karate', Judo, Sumo, Wrestling and Boxing....

I studied Kyokushin Karate up till brown belt, so was no expert, didn't need to be because I got knocked out in a matter of seconds by Chung Lee (Bolo)...In the movie, they dressed me in an Aikido skirt, although I never studied that....It was kinda fun though, boring at times waiting around for your turn on camera, but overall an experience I will never forget.

Is Chung Lee a real life bad ass in martial arts ? I always assumed he probably was because he looked pretty damn vicious in the movie LOL.

I must have watched that movie 500 times as a kid and had no idea until now you were in it. That’s pretty cool !!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Is Chung Lee a real life bad ass in martial arts ? I always assumed he probably was because he looked pretty damn vicious in the movie LOL.

I must have watched that movie 500 times as a kid and had no idea until now you were in it. That’s pretty cool !!

- Chung Lee was probably one of the nicest guys you could meet on that set - communication with him was minimal - unless you spoke Cantonese or Mandarin - but I always remember that he put out a cool vibe - right up to the moment he knocked me out in the movie - and my role was then over - it was all acting - we just had to try make it look as real as possible - and that ain't so easy - without accident and many repetitions - constantly rehearsing and practicing the few seconds you might get in combat on camera - with a star like Chung Lee (Bolo) - you could only lose - unless you were Van Damme - lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Bolo sure was in great shape. He most certainly doesn't look 40 years old when he appeared in Bloodsport.

Last edited: