What's new

U.S. Attorney Breaks Silence on Medical-Marijuana

I understand better what the focus is on now by the U.S. Attorneys office. They are trying to stem the guys that are growing for non Californians. It seems if the marijuana market reflected fair markups like regular commodities such as wheat or corn, then it would show in dispensary prices. Bushels for $30 of standard grade marijuana.

But since prices in other parts of the U.S. correlate with the black market prices for marijuana, California's MMJ market isn't yet influential enough to disregard black market prices. What a complicated process but it underscores the need to keep our eyes open and see what needs to be done to make the legalization movement's job easier. What I gleaned is that these four U.S. Attorneys realize the market outside of California is unregulated and that their recommendation to Eric Holder be that the U.S. seek to regulate marijuana in order to curb the guys in it strictly for... lots of money.

OLDproLg

Veteran
WAR SUCKS!!!!

Never been to cali,but their is an abuse thing going on...
Everyone knows so it looks bad from here,hope CO gets it better
in the appearence area?....lines of people standing for hours on their
feet at dispenceries lookin perfectly healthy is odvious to say the least.
God that harbor side was lookin like RAVE CLUB just getting everyone buzzed
rather than patients getting care for specific illnesses..
NOT knokin dispenceries,just wish it all looked a lot more professional.

So the war goes on......................................how many BILLIONS MORE?

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Legalization will come as it did to end prohibition. The federal government didn't just do away with the 18th amendment. It was the re legalization of alcohol on a state by state basis that led to the repeal. When marijuana becomes legal in more and more states it will finally force the feds to do the right thing.
In the mean time keep the pressure on your fed reps and senators, let them know that you vote and will be voting in every election that comes along, with constant pressure they will cave.
Oh yeah I say today that several latin american leaders are going to call for the legalization of weed just as Joe Biden is down there telling them all to get tougher. We have a clueless government.

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
DD no offence bro but I think you are making it more confusing.......California has blatently abused any and every regulation sanctioned by the us gov......for years, the phrase give a inch take a mile applies here......That is what he is saying and doing........abuse your privledge and it can be removed....personally I don't agree with weed being a class a narcotic and I dont believe that very many open minded or expierenced people do either but that is how it's clasified......We need to change that......The atty general is only doing his job in reguards to the blatant abuse The state has displayed......Let's face facts for just a moment k......Only about 10% of mmj card carring members legitimitly need a percription........The rest are just pot heads looking to get over......
I applaud your rebelious philosophy I am the same....But dont go crying cause Californians abused a grey area and the federal goverment noticed.........He's not trying to take medicine out of the hands of those that need it he's looking to stop the blatant abuse of the system in place.....I personally support this.......I think California as a state has set the movement back 5 yrs because of the abuse they so blatantly demonstrate....And you dont need to live there to understand what is going on you only need eyes and 1/2 a brain......If you are a legal cargiver playing by the rules getting put on a list is not a reason to worry about anything...The federal goverment is not trying to take away medicine....They are putting a end to a community of people that take advantage of a situation for personal gain......

Hello all,

In addition, I would like to add the "Dr. Feelgoods" in the medical marijuana field should share equal critisism what with virtual prescription printing presses and revolving doors.

You got the money and a complaint, you got a perscription for mmj.

So, I say that in addition, maybe some scrutiny should befall the doctors as well.

Also, dispensories with doctors on site for recommendations.....

Its practically a joke. How can it be taken seriously.

minds_I

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i appreciate your feeling doobie but in this case i think you may be taking too much of your own medicine. as has been said before you don't need to live in cali and be medical to see that those guys running your dispensaries are mostly in it for the money.

at least be willing to look at it objectively and not just bury your head in the sand. im not in cali either nor know its laws, but i do see the news from time to time of the dispensaries being busted for cooking books, and the medical patients smuggling their excess meds out of state.

Obunny could do the same thing Ron Paul could do if he were elected. Shut down the DEA or change their policies toward weed and remove weed and hemp from the drug schedule where Nixon added it. He could likely change the old laws with a pen stroke also. But Obunny is like a kept woman and he's not gonna do shit that his trainers do not approve of.

Once again the point has been missed. If you honestly believe the machine will let Obama,Ron Paul, Or any president for that matter shut down the DEA you are smoking the greatest weed in the world. They are all puppets, The Governments mascots. Lets go out on a limb and say if elected Ron Paul rages against the machine how long do you think he lasts as president. Once again it's the Government not their mascot

Skip

Veteran
I think it's HIGH time that Obama replaced a few of these California AGs...

Apparently they just don't get it.

They don't understand the WILL OF THE PEOPLE, and the right of the people to choose their own medicine. This AG doesn't even understand anything about medical marijuana.

The whole "profit" thing should be a non-starter. That's cause in Colorado dispensaries are allowed to make a profit. So why should that be their main rationale for shutting down legal dispensaries in another state?

I agree there are those who abuse the system. But what REAL HARM are any of them doing? Oh, some are making money... Oh that's so harmful better get all the US Attorneys General involved, and declare a war on dispensaries and growers, cause making money is evil and I guess now illegal in America.

Give me a break! And absolutely NO MENTION by this AG of how they are manipulating local politicians to all pass the most restrictive local laws on dispensaries and growers, even to go so far as to ban both activities in some jurisdictions. It's a huge conspiracy that is not being talked about. This is being coordinated at the State and Federal levels, because they don't want to see voters legalize cannabis this year, so they are once again demonizing it, like it's something that kills people!

The Feds are playing politics with the human rights of Californians and all Americans.

All of this goes against the spirit of Prop 215, and the will of California voters.

We don't get to vote for US Attorney General unfortunately. So the buck rests with Obama. He needs much more pressure than is currently being applied to him on this issue.

G

Guest 88950

...We don't get to vote for US Attorney General unfortunately...

forgot to make this point earlier but appointees serve the interest of the powers that appointed them and if the AG's were elected then there would be a greater chance of them doing the will of the voters.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
with all do respect; can you tell me more about this "list"? what "list"? I've heard this "list" mentioned before but i never seen it, or know anyone who has.

As far as I'm aware, you go to the doc and he/she recommends cannabis. you're protected by doc/patient confidentiality (so to be put on any "list" could cost the doc his/her license). you don't need to register anywhere or anything like that, at least not in California. you go home, you grow or smoke or vaporize or whatever... and call it a day.

am i wrong? there isn't any "list" other than what you would voluntarily be put on, like OCBC or something (which is not mandatory what so ever), right?

Also, id like to see what'd happen in a real "not for profit" situation, where there wasn't 300% mark ups and what not. where people were selling it for just enough to cover costs and expenses. not that anyone ever really would. who could afford it? but would it really fly, or would the dea soon find a way to have a problem with that also? and what would they say then?

I can speak for my state in saying that the state grant licenses and charges $200 for them. We are on a government list.

I cannot speak for California, but if you grow you have to check in with your local officials to be completely legit. I mean an non-med person can own and ounce there without any problems. It's when you grow that you have to put yourself out there.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
I'm not in Cali...so I don't know the medical law there....but I say fuck the dispensaries. Grow your own or have a legal caregiver. Thats how we do it in Michigan. I'm all for shutting down the money thieves in the dispensaries. They don't care about the people that need it...they care about the bottom line.

....and what about patients who can't grow their own? Caregivers can't be the ONLY answer. Some people are shitty growers. The ones who grow quality in quantity don't have time to deal with caregiving. Wise up. There are alot of good people in it for the right reasons - don't let a few bad lemons keep you from enjoying lemonade.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is nice to read at least one of the pricks explain a little...I've got no particular love for the cash factories that masquerade as "caring, compassionate, or knowledgeable " but there are far more important issues for them to be focusing on...matter a fact..if they had said "we are going after those that are selling out of state and/or not paying taxes" I would say get their asses..
--politicians will slowly fall in line as the money spreads..its only jist begun..

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I can speak for my state in saying that the state grant licenses and charges $200 for them. We are on a government list.

I cannot speak for California, but if you grow you have to check in with your local officials to be completely legit. I mean an non-med person can own and ounce there without any problems. It's when you grow that you have to put yourself out there.

No, there is nothing in our Law that says you have to Register or check in with local Officials-- Some Counties have set up Ordinances for that...but it is not a Legal obligation State wide--:tiphat:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This wagner guy sounds like one of the more reasonable sheep dogs. he is just doing as master tells him. he has his opinion and says it does not matter. He is right it does not matter. No one on either side of the issue is going to budge on his account.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sorry if I confused anybody, it is not that I believe there is NO abuse going on in Cali. My issue was that Lowman grouped everyone, all of the dispensaries together, even though he does not live here.
I'm not in Cali...so I don't know the medical law there....but I say fuck the dispensaries.

There's a ton of abuse going on and many people that don't qualify for a medical rec abusing them. It's a free for all out here if you believe everything you hear from the news media. But most of our members are not in Cali and are forming their opinions from those news reports.

There's a lot of good news out here, a lot of suffering people being helped, a lot of growers and dispensaries doing the right thing-working their asses off to comply with the law. Yet some getting busted just because of this federal push, their lives and families torn apart, only to then get the cases thrown out of court later because they were completely legit. The only thing they did wrong was try hard to grow and help, trying to comply at the wrong time, caught up in a crack-down motivated by an election year.

Peeps should consider some of those news reports you are being bombarded with are certainly exaggerated, sensationalized, and extremely biased. You have to look to find the good news.

The dispensary owners, some-the nicest most devoted dedicated compassionate people you've ever met. Running some of the most respectable dispensaries you could imagine.

Mr Bunch makes an excelent point. I believe if it weren't for all the hard work and funds put in by these legit people, a good deal of them being dispensary owners, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now, there would be no medical marijuana in Cali. ....DD
i am not from the us, but i believe these dispensary owners and operators are todays pioneers, who when legalization happens, we will see as the brave trailblazers they are..they are taking huge risks to help people who need this cannabis to help with their illness, or in some cases keep them alive. it pisses me off that the government will actually persecute people for doing this- and we call ourselves a civilised society??

S

SeaMaiden

They don't understand the WILL OF THE PEOPLE, and the right of the people to choose their own medicine. This AG doesn't even understand anything about medical marijuana.

The whole "profit" thing should be a non-starter. That's cause in Colorado dispensaries are allowed to make a profit. So why should that be their main rationale for shutting down legal dispensaries in another state?

I agree there are those who abuse the system. But what REAL HARM are any of them doing? Oh, some are making money... Oh that's so harmful better get all the US Attorneys General involved, and declare a war on dispensaries and growers, cause making money is evil and I guess now illegal in America.

Give me a break! And absolutely NO MENTION by this AG of how they are manipulating local politicians to all pass the most restrictive local laws on dispensaries and growers, even to go so far as to ban both activities in some jurisdictions. It's a huge conspiracy that is not being talked about. This is being coordinated at the State and Federal levels, because they don't want to see voters legalize cannabis this year, so they are once again demonizing it, like it's something that kills people!

The Feds are playing politics with the human rights of Californians and all Americans.

All of this goes against the spirit of Prop 215, and the will of California voters.

We don't get to vote for US Attorney General unfortunately. So the buck rests with Obama. He needs much more pressure than is currently being applied to him on this issue.
As it's been relayed to me be local law enforcement, we can't exactly call this a coordinated effort between (all) locals and the feds. In my county, and I must assume the feds operate similarly in other instances, the locals have been directed to keep an eye open for the large grows to point the feds their way. In counties where large grows were legal, the feds threatened de-funding (Mendocino, for example).

So while the end result is the same, the reasons behind what's happening appear a bit different to my view--we (Californians) have been targeted for good reasons, and I think they're fiscal. While we're suffering bad economics as much of the country is, we're still an economic juggernaut within the nation. A broke-ass juggernaut that still needs federal funds. What was Jerry thinking when he de-funded CAMP, my God??!!

^hear, hear!

Lowman

....and what about patients who can't grow their own? Caregivers can't be the ONLY answer. Some people are shitty growers. The ones who grow quality in quantity don't have time to deal with caregiving. Wise up. There are alot of good people in it for the right reasons - don't let a few bad lemons keep you from enjoying lemonade.

Wise up? Really? I'm wise enough to know that a greedy middle man is not needed. If the dispensary is on the up and up...then thats a different story. But I'll bet donuts to dollars 80% or more are crooks taking advantage of a system ripe for then taking.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sorry if I confused anybody, it is not that I believe there is NO abuse going on in Cali. My issue was that Lowman grouped everyone, all of the dispensaries together, even though he does not live here.

There's a ton of abuse going on and many people that don't qualify for a medical rec abusing them. It's a free for all out here if you believe everything you hear from the news media. But most of our members are not in Cali and are forming their opinions from those news reports.

There's a lot of good news out here, a lot of suffering people being helped, a lot of growers and dispensaries doing the right thing-working their asses off to comply with the law. Yet some getting busted just because of this federal push, their lives and families torn apart, only to then get the cases thrown out of court later because they were completely legit. The only thing they did wrong was try hard to grow and help, trying to comply at the wrong time, caught up in a crack-down motivated by an election year.

Peeps should consider some of those news reports you are being bombarded with are certainly exaggerated, sensationalized, and extremely biased. You have to look to find the good news.

The dispensary owners, some-the nicest most devoted dedicated compassionate people you've ever met. Running some of the most respectable dispensaries you could imagine.

Mr Bunch makes an excelent point. I believe if it weren't for all the hard work and funds put in by these legit people, a good deal of them being dispensary owners, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now, there would be no medical marijuana in Cali. ....DD

to me the abuse still comes from the government. People should have every right to grow and sell as much weed as they want to. The government is abusing the system not the people. they are just trying to make as best a living as they can doing what they like, and hurting no one. It's called liberty.