What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

U.K cheese brightside cut ?

window

Veteran
It seems all sorts of variables can affect terpene expression. Recently I grew a cut of Zkittles S1 that I kept from a pack of CSI seeds. I kept it because it was the closest one I found to the original that I’ve smoked in terms of smell and taste, pretty much the exact same smell as the real cut, just maybe not as loud?
I’ve grown this cut a few times now and it always comes out the same but my last grow of it using a different soil and taking it a week later than usual, it’s completely changed.

The Zkittles smell has almost been completely masked and replaced with a more strong skunk bud smell, much more dank than usual. The taste has changed as well, gone is the sweetness and now has a more liquorice, hash taste, it’s bizarre!
My mrs swears blind I’ve grown cheese by mistake but I know exactly what I grew, there is no way I could have mixed them up, plus they look and grow completely different. It’s very strange.

Every now and then I will pick a bud out of the jar and when squeezed I can pick up the Zkittles smell, although it’s more muted than usual, then other buds from the same jar smells completely different , more skunky, cheesy, it’s fucked up!

I think and this is only a guess, that it may have something to do with plant health? I must admit recently I’ve let mother plants slip in regards to health, more than once due to losing some interest in growing and life problems getting in the way but at the last minute I’ve got myself together and saved my plants from death. Got them back to a certain amount of health and redid cuttings then continued to grow them as mothers.

Something else I noticed with my cheese cut was how the smell in veg had changed also. For as long as I remember, you only have to brush past or shake the plant and it lets off a dark affie type smell but a few months ago I was convinced I’d mislabelled her and kept something completely different. Now when I rubbed or shook the plant it gave of a smell I can only describe as wintergreen?? Sort of a fresh piney smell. I was gutted but then thought to myself, I don’t keep anything that smells like this, it can’t be anything else. Again the plant had just come back from a near death experience and I did the same thing, saved it by taking cuttings.
Now my plants are back at an acceptable level of health, her affie veg smell is back I’m glad to say and it seems to be the same plant I’ve always had.

I’ve backed off posting this, thinking people will think I’m crazy but I’m as sane as the next man, lol. Everything I’ve described above has happened. I just do not know why 100%????
Piffs post pushed me to type this, it’s true, terpene expression can and does change somewhat with different variables, not always but sometimes, I’ve witnessed it a few times now.

Everyone knows how plants can grow differently under different set ups ect, we’ve all witnessed this but this terpene thing has blown my mind, ha ha.

I do remember years ago I used to grow a Grapefruit x Blueberry cut and every time the bud smelled like sweet blueberries but when I gave it to a friend to grow, his finished bud smelled of sweet pink grapefruit, I couldn’t believe it, I’d say that’s the first time I’d come across this, a different terpene expression from a different grow and I must say, I haven’t witnessed it since till recently.

bimblebrains_1

It seems all sorts of variables can affect terpene expression. Recently I grew a cut of Zkittles S1 that I kept from a pack of CSI seeds. I kept it because it was the closest one I found to the original that I’ve smoked in terms of smell and taste, pretty much the exact same smell as the real cut, just maybe not as loud?
I’ve grown this cut a few times now and it always comes out the same but my last grow of it using a different soil and taking it a week later than usual, it’s completely changed.

The Zkittles smell has almost been completely masked and replaced with a more strong skunk bud smell, much more dank than usual. The taste has changed as well, gone is the sweetness and now has a more liquorice, hash taste, it’s bizarre!
My mrs swears blind I’ve grown cheese by mistake but I know exactly what I grew, there is no way I could have mixed them up, plus they look and grow completely different. It’s very strange.

Every now and then I will pick a bud out of the jar and when squeezed I can pick up the Zkittles smell, although it’s more muted than usual, then other buds from the same jar smells completely different , more skunky, cheesy, it’s fucked up!

I think and this is only a guess, that it may have something to do with plant health? I must admit recently I’ve let mother plants slip in regards to health, more than once due to losing some interest in growing and life problems getting in the way but at the last minute I’ve got myself together and saved my plants from death. Got them back to a certain amount of health and redid cuttings then continued to grow them as mothers.

Something else I noticed with my cheese cut was how the smell in veg had changed also. For as long as I remember, you only have to brush past or shake the plant and it lets off a dark affie type smell but a few months ago I was convinced I’d mislabelled her and kept something completely different. Now when I rubbed or shook the plant it gave of a smell I can only describe as wintergreen?? Sort of a fresh piney smell. I was gutted but then thought to myself, I don’t keep anything that smells like this, it can’t be anything else. Again the plant had just come back from a near death experience and I did the same thing, saved it by taking cuttings.
Now my plants are back at an acceptable level of health, her affie veg smell is back I’m glad to say and it seems to be the same plant I’ve always had.

I’ve backed off posting this, thinking people will think I’m crazy but I’m as sane as the next man, lol. Everything I’ve described above has happened. I just do not know why 100%????
Piffs post pushed me to type this, it’s true, terpene expression can and does change somewhat with different variables, not always but sometimes, I’ve witnessed it a few times now.

Everyone knows how plants can grow differently under different set ups ect, we’ve all witnessed this but this terpene thing has blown my mind, ha ha.

I do remember years ago I used to grow a Grapefruit x Blueberry cut and every time the bud smelled like sweet blueberries but when I gave it to a friend to grow, his finished bud smelled of sweet pink grapefruit, I couldn’t believe it, I’d say that’s the first time I’d come across this, a different terpene expression from a different grow and I must say, I haven’t witnessed it since till recently.
Well said window man,I've witnessed the same thing as well on many a clone over the years,one that springs to mind is a dj's gold pheno I found,was a kosher x blueberry,from seed grew like an OG,had a fuel and blueberry muffin profile,thing was the shizel I'm telling ya! My mate dubbed it the Blue Jew haha... Cloned it,grew it,came out same, result I thought..cloned again, grew,,l just turned in to this bland skunkish type thing and also the yeild went up,tried to get her back to previous form for months but never happened,was heart broken,shit was the sooooooo dank,just before I ditched her tho gave her to some Essex gangster sorts who were doing big grows in Marbella,couple years later was down in Brighton and my mate had a load of boxes of blue Jew,I cracked up..it was still that shitty massive bud expression with the exact same smell it changed to in my bedroom 2 years earlier😂 ....
I agree I put it down to plant health as well window,I wasnt as experienced keeping clones back then like

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Window and bimble, when you send some samples in for testing at tumi or whoever in the states...it will make sense to you, how the terpenes change due to the state of mom health, but what you guys are describing just sounds like what we always saw and became clear to me what the cause was just over 3 or more years back when I started testing. Now that I have had clean plants since last year sometime, culled all else on site and not germinated a bean since then, and won't bother to until I have a proper protocol and space in place for germination and quarantine and testing the seedlings. I wont bring a cut near where I am growing, won't bring a dry bud from anywhere else near...This shit is very real and so widespread. One just has to look and see what the prevalence is in the hops industries in the various countries to get an idea of how ubiquitous it is.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
There you go, 2008 study..HLVD is more prevalent than we think..These numbers below, representative of all UK hops, 17% of fields were infected, some varieties 0% some 89%....They say prevalent since the late 1970's...its around. Been for a long time.

"The occurrences and distributions of hop stunt (HSVd) and hop latent (HLVd) viroids were assessed by a nucleic acid hybridisation assay, using samples from 476 commercial hop plantings in the UK. These samples represented about half of the UK production. HLVd was detected in c. 17% of the samples, with infection in different cultivars ranging from 0% to 89%. This viroid was found in all cultivars sensitive to Verticillium wilt except cv. Sunshine, an old cultivar grown on only one farm in the UK. Two minor wilt-tolerant cultivars were also found to be infected at low frequencies, but the main commercially-important wilt-tolerant cultivars were all uninfected. A high proportion of the nuclear stock mother plants in the “A +” house at the Institute of Horticultural Research Dept of Hops Research, Wye College were infected. Circumstantial evidence, based on the planting dates of infected gardens, suggests that infection became established in the hop propagation system during the late 1970s and that there was a major increase in the prevalence of HLVd as a result. Whether this contamination of propagating material arose because of spread from long-standing infections or because the viroid was newly introduced into the UK, is not known. All samples were also tested for HSVd but this viroid was not detected in any UK hop material."

bimblebrains_1

Cheers bimble, good to read that, confirms I’m not going mad 😵‍💫
Makes me wonder if one of the cheese cuts that are about could be the original BS cut and perhaps it’s become more muted over the years?
Oh Lordy, lol, we’re screwed if that’s the case!
Haha no don't worry, you're as sane as the next man Window😂
Old cheesefarmer farmer posts from uk420 say how the clone would come out different in his friends rooms to his even back in the day,add on another 20 or 30 years and these plants have led very different lives...seeing how my cut can literally change morphology from clone to clone from the same mum in the same room does make me wonder, environmental and plant health are major factors and what with the different cuts we have all having different chains of custody and varying degrees of abuse and competency from grower to grower over the years in the chain before we got them then could just be that some of them are the same ,and it's not at all surprising they'd have subtle differences after being alive so long,we all know how adaptive cannabis is....
Posted these before but look how she can change expression in structure/morphology...same mother plant,same room, same age.....flower comes out the same tho...
IMG_20240104_140504.jpg
IMG_20240104_140514.jpg
IMG_20240121_153532.jpg

Cheers. bimble

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
15 years on and we still talking about the same shit lol ,
At the same time there was diet cheese , bubble gum cheese from mr cheese the Brum guy , and sweet cheese , these ones were not proper cheese but people thought they were

Almost 25 years now and we're even further away than before!!

Hope you're well sonic. :tiphat:

Peace

prawn

Whats the deal prawn,, do you still have access,, looks promising

I'm dying to get this shit over and done with
nah only grew that cut once years ago...
growing this now ...has the sawtooth leaf...smells like cheese but not as strong as the one I grew in 07, that was terrifying 😅
..has a fruity tang to it..getting a slight purple tinge...
Here's 9 weeks...1 week to go..
was told this is suicide cut b.t.w.

Attachments

• PXL_20240313_192420865.jpg
    PXL_20240313_192420865.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20240313_192215199~2.jpg
    PXL_20240313_192215199~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20240311_193759794~2.jpg
    PXL_20240311_193759794~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

bimblebrains_1

This cut was directly from brightside because b chimes in a few posts before wishing true and dr d good luck with their grows..if I had seen this I would never have never even entertained the idea my cut was the same plant as brightsides,very unique this one with the bulbus middle blade....

Last edited:

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This cut was directly from brightside because b chimes in a few posts before wishing true and dr d good luck with their grows..if I had seen this I would never have never even entertained the idea my cut was the same plant as brightsides,very unique this one with the bulbus middle blade....

What pic you talking about @bimblebrains_1
Attach pic so we can see what you mean ?

For the record your cut is very similar in smell to the brightside , even more so this last run , and closest i run in years to Brightside cut ,defo has the Cheese funk.

It's very hard to decipher between cheese cuts that's why I didn't want to say it was the brightside cut.
Some smoke zero like a cheese and others smoke very similar to Brightside Cheese just grow slightly different in veg , and again everyones run looks different so unless same person running the 2 clones in same room , same medium same everything it's near impossible to tell as all put pics look different.

To me the traits to look for are

Zig zag branching in veg
Lime green bud
Incredible stink/taste
Dark green leaves
A few Serations on fan leaves , other cuts have many more serations but brightside cut had less serations than other Cheese cuts I run.

Yours had alot of these traits

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

That pic dr d posted wasn't cheese ? , I think he got the cheese from brightside after running that cut pictured in your link

bimblebrains_1

What pic you talking about @bimblebrains_1
Attach pic so we can see what you mean ?

For the record your cut is very similar in smell to the brightside , even more so this last run , and closest i run in years to Brightside cut ,defo has the Cheese funk.

It's very hard to decipher between cheese cuts that's why I didn't want to say it was the brightside cut.
Some smoke zero like a cheese and others smoke very similar to Brightside Cheese just grow slightly different in veg , and again everyones run looks different so unless same person running the 2 clones in same room , same medium same everything it's near impossible to tell as all put pics look different.

To me the traits to look for are

Zig zag branching in veg
Lime green bud
Incredible stink/taste
Dark green leaves
A few Serations on fan leaves , other cuts have many more serations but brightside cut had less serations than other Cheese cuts I run.

Yours had alot of these traits
Ahh ok so that pic Dr d posted was one he had before brightside passed the cut,ok sorry I'm adding to the confusion now lol...
Yes @ojd I'm sitting here puffing on some of my cut right now and the taste is mouth watering, the stink fills a room just from skinning up and that's from a run where only got to take her to 9 weeks and flush for a week due to issues out if my control,gunna nail her next round, and extra week ,less ec and a good 3 week flush..you grew her under hps didn't you bro? As discussed a few posts before,dunno if these LEDs are bringing out the sweet side of the profile..when I tried a sample after a week of drying had a sweet taste,not berryesque to me tho like others have said but more sugary,now after 2 weeks defo seems to have lost a bit of the sweetness and has the more rank TCP Dettol funk but still a tad sweet,so could be the leds fuck knows...as you say she is the closest in morphology and leaf traits we've seen yet(trying put this Dr d pic out of my mind again)..I did however give a few nugs to an old head who grew the cheese,psycho,blues and blue cheese back in the day and he instantly said that's a blue cheese,cheese leaning pheno..trouble is with is that is that i can trace the Provence of the cut back at least 20years with 2 growers and first one got her off of another guy so perhaps she is
to old to be a blue cheese seed pheno from a released line?....
At the end of the day the effect and taste of this cut are incredible and it's all i wanna puff on now

Rgd

Veteran
Only just starting to read thru the thread and already there are few growers speaking of/showing the one that hit north America back then,the one from vision creator/quejo, clearly a very different plant to the one from brightside^^^^^... interesting thread indeed..
its the one we had in canada yes..

looks like what you guys show..

well except for the indica looking ones I am starting to see here more lol

not that a Canadian could ever know..[being serious and I hope funny]

the vc one smells SO strong SO toe jam ..so wine and cheese party..looks SO exactly like skunk#1 profile...

..has serrated leaves..

but of course its not the “real” one...

but ........this is the “how many people does it take to find the real cheese lightbulb thread."

and the answer is always..”well what you showed is not the real one...

"this one is..!

"well is supposed to be...!

or

"yes I am getting the real one tonight"

dude..

everytime its brought up us North American/Canadian get slapped down..

***please realize I am having fun here and hope you are***

and you uk cheese guys are hilarious..but serious

...big strange respect

bimblebrains_1

the vc one smells SO strong SO toe jam ..so wine and cheese party..looks SO exactly like skunk#1 profile...

..has serrated leaves..

but ........this is the “how many people does it take to find the real cheese lightbulb thread."

"this one is..!

or

dude..

...big strange respect
Haha I love your posts @Rgd bro you crack me up, yes we love to debate shall we say lol

I believe the one you got aka the vision/quejo is the same as the one pistols gave to Sub and the same one Nspecta ruled out after puffing on some brightside flower and recognising it to be clearly different

Hope you well over there mate

bimble

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

..has serrated leaves..

"this one is..!

or

dude..

...big strange respect
😆 so true
but American/Canadian do same with OG kush , there 10 version all with different names and alot of same traits etc , same with Diesel and this is 1 of our elite UK strains and it can hang with the best clones in the world when grown perfectly

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran

A few posts later DocD says he suspects that cheese isn’t real as his friend flowered it and it hermed, def doesn’t look like cheese leaf.

DocD did get original though after that though.

Peace

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
Ahh ok so that pic Dr d posted was one he had before brightside passed the cut,ok sorry I'm adding to the confusion now lol...
Yes @ojd I'm sitting here puffing on some of my cut right now and the taste is mouth watering, the stink fills a room just from skinning up and that's from a run where only got to take her to 9 weeks and flush for a week due to issues out if my control,gunna nail her next round, and extra week ,less ec and a good 3 week flush..you grew her under hps didn't you bro? As discussed a few posts before,dunno if these LEDs are bringing out the sweet side of the profile..when I tried a sample after a week of drying had a sweet taste,not berryesque to me tho like others have said but more sugary,now after 2 weeks defo seems to have lost a bit of the sweetness and has the more rank TCP Dettol funk but still a tad sweet,so could be the leds fuck knows...as you say she is the closest in morphology and leaf traits we've seen yet(trying put this Dr d pic out of my mind again)..I did however give a few nugs to an old head who grew the cheese,psycho,blues and blue cheese back in the day and he instantly said that's a blue cheese,cheese leaning pheno..trouble is with is that is that i can trace the Provence of the cut back at least 20years with 2 growers and first one got her off of another guy so perhaps she is
to old to be a blue cheese seed pheno from a released line?....
At the end of the day the effect and taste of this cut are incredible and it's all i wanna puff on now

The rank tcp thing is quite unique to the real one, if it was only flowered for nine weeks I would give her another chance before making your mind up.

There was a blue cheese called Stilton that predated Big Buddha I think.

Have you ever tried Psychosis?

Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts