What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

types of cantainers for curing?

watts

ohms
Veteran
it's a little tough putting the gamma "rim" on the buckets. I stood on my bucket and stomped them rim down, be careful and hold onto something if you choose this method. You could also use a rubber mallet.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I don't think an airtight seal is important for curing, just have the digital meters and your overage in a box, bag, or storage bin. check often until its below 65 then leave it till you have time to trim.

long term storage is different, then you want air tight.
If I used buckets I would not be fastening them tight until the cure was done.

i have some that has been sitting for over a year like that, right where I left it.

the gnome

Veteran
it's a little tough putting the gamma "rim" on the buckets. I stood on my bucket and stomped them rim down, be careful and hold onto something if you choose this method. You could also use a rubber mallet.

I have a large rubber mallet
dancing on top of the bucket is a younger mans game
or at least younger than me :tiphat:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
does Co2 maybe speed up the curing process any?
after i hit 64%, if I put the nugz in buckets and do it in the 1400ppm atmosphere of the room will that help?
ive heard of long term storage under nitrogen and othger inert gasses.

I'm don't know if CO2, or any other gasses help with the curing process..
However, almost anything sealed up in CO2 filled containers will store longer, as the CO2 has replaced the oxygen and thus prevents oxydation of whatever you have stored...

HatchBrew

Veteran
I'm don't know if CO2, or any other gasses help with the curing process..
However, almost anything sealed up in CO2 filled containers will store longer, as the CO2 has replaced the oxygen and thus prevents oxydation of whatever you have stored...

lack of oxygen prevents oxidation...
co2 it'll be well carbonated....

Jhhnn

Veteran
Oh, yeh- I think 5 gal pails are avail in black from Lowe's & Home Despot, although they may need to be ordered in. Lowe's dark blue ones probably don't let much light in, either.

the gnome

Veteran
Oh, yeh- I think 5 gal pails are avail in black from Lowe's & Home Despot, although they may need to be ordered in. Lowe's dark blue ones probably don't let much light in, either.

I have quite a few handy, well used with paint labels still on em
if any extras are needed I'll get the dark blue lowes
plus they'll be stored in indirect lighting if at all

the gnome

Veteran
a few more Qs,
nothing to do with storage...
in legal or semi legal areas, are black marketeers or dispenseries selling a cured product?
if so how much?
do they maybe advertise they as is done with a fine whiskey,
it's been aged X amount of time and you pay a premium for that product?

another Q for black market folks.
do you, or know if whats sent from cali or colorado to other states is cured?
I'm sure some is, and some isn't and would like to here feedback on the subject.
some of my strains can head right out the door when i hit below 64%.
and others need to cure some.

after saving back a bow of my best and giving it a 60-90 day cure,
it's amazing and I can definitely fetch a *much* better price and it goes *quick*
so I'm thinking of putting a much larger share of the harvest and curing 60days with a better product
more competitive against imported wares.

as with all black market states the prices of imported from legal states is has a definite affect on local market prices,
to varying degree's depending on factors if it's wholesale or smaller amounts, quality,
who is getting it/selling it etc etc.
wholesaling to people with solid connects from ca/co I can get only $200bow or so more due directly of less risk of them having to put their $$ out with with no idea if they get it, or maybe Leo delivers it.
plus the Q of what they get, at times its superb, or not so great.

Calimed

Veteran
Many dispensary forms have questions asking how long the material has been cured, but I rarely see that aspect advertised at the counter. Moreso, it's does it look good, smell good, what is the thc %? Many of my friends that shop at dispensaries like to boast about the % of their latest bag.

the gnome

Veteran
Many dispensary forms have questions asking how long the material has been cured, but I rarely see that aspect advertised at the counter. Moreso, it's does it look good, smell good, what is the thc %? Many of my friends that shop at dispensaries like to boast about the % of their latest bag.

interesting cure info is a prerequisite sometimes for disp's buying they're stock, but not for consumer info.

I see such a *quality increase*in smell taste and other factors in my top strains after a long cure it's to my advantage for me to seriously consider doing it more.

tho hi percentage thc content is good to know and sought,
many of us kno it's not an indicator of the quality of the experience.

alcohol is a good comparison in many aspects for comparison.
ever clear has the highest alc.content
but it's not what I would never prefer to drink,
if your only reason is to get blitz, that'll do it fo sure

I like crown royal,
they offer extended aged reserve and monarch-75yr aged bourbon
and you Pay for that quality, and it IS tasty stuff!

I can for see the day coming soon as the cannabis market get more and more competitive the sellers will be looking for new ideas for sales and will discover a consumer base willing to pay for an *extended aged cured cannabis*

I mean, I'm seeing it right now with my consumer base.
even the people i wholesale to are after me for my 60-90 day cured top dope for their personal consumption
and costs isn't a factor when i offer it.

the gnome

Veteran

interesting cure info is a prerequisite sometimes for disp's buying they're stock, but not for consumer info.

I see such a *quality increase*in smell taste and other factors in my top strains after a long cure it's to my advantage for me to seriously consider doing it more.

tho hi percentage thc content is good to know and sought,
many of us kno it's not an indicator of the quality of the experience, only a component.

alcohol is a good comparison in many aspects for comparison.
ever clear has the highest alc.content
but it's not what I would never prefer to drink,
if your only reason is to get blitz, that'll do it fo sure

I like crown royal,
they offer extended aged reserve and monarch-75yr aged bourbon
and you Pay for that quality, and it IS tasty stuff!

I can for see the day coming soon the cannabis market will discover a consumer base willing to pay for an
*extended aged cured cannabis*

I mean, I'm seeing it now with my consumer base.
even the people i wholesale are after me for my 60-90 day cured top dope for their personal consumption.
as for how much I can get over my standard selling price for *cured quantity* is another thing :shucks:

anyways still interested hearing from people or know those that ship out of their state to nonlegal states if they doing a longer cure more than 3-4wks before they ship out.

Hey guys I love this discussion!! Last years outdoor we needed a easy practical way to store/cure lbs of meds and after sum research much like yourself gnome and came across gamma seal lids with 5 gallon food grade buckets bought from home depot they actually are just plain white 5 gal buckets designed for food storage they have the food grade approved sticker on the bucket, they are a very reasonable price, and the gamma seal lids were a life saver as well they worked out wonderful. I couldn't of been more happy with them.

Depending on the density of the bud the 5 gal buckets can fit anywhere from 1 to 2.5 lbs each so needless to say it was way better than getting hundreds of mason jars or something similar, burping all those jars would be a nightmare not to mention how expensive it would be to get all those jars.

Also someone mentioned using co2 to aid in long term storage and yes I do believe that would displace oxygen to help slow down oxidation to crawl, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's nitrogen that most people use for those purposes. Lol anyways gnome I hope U found this post helpful and good luck with your future ventures I wish you all the best.

Happy growing my friend!!!

the gnome

Veteran
hey doc33,
those gamma lids and 5gal buckets are da bomb if you have a lot to cure.
and yeah. i get an easy 2lb+ in a bucket.

hey mello, where do you get the nitrogen at?
another Q thats been on my mind for ya...
when i cure in jars my bud eventually turns a golden tan color.
Ive seen some bud from legal states that's cured,
its rock hard and it keeps its original color pretty much to a T.
is this what you get when you cure in nitrogen?

watts

ohms
Veteran
How do you inject the nitrogen exactly? You could use those Oxygen Absorbers as an alternative maybe. I've used them and they do a good job but I don't know how it would compare to nitrogen.

How do you inject the nitrogen exactly? You could use those Oxygen Absorbers as an alternative maybe. I've used them and they do a good job but I don't know how it would compare to nitrogen.

Haha, they're fuckin with you man, the air we breathe is mostly nitrogen. ;)