What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

types of cantainers for curing?

For curing buds I use these big old glass jars that K-Mart always has. It holds 8 to 12 zips, depending... And, this jar looks REALLY cool when filled with a half pound.

The glass lid just sits on top of the jar under its own weight. So, I got some adhesive foam weather strip from HD. I put the weather strip on the lid

It seals nice. I've kept nugs in this jar for months...nice.
Anything longer, and it goes in mason jars.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

watts

ohms
Veteran
hey gnome you should be able to freeze your bud to keep it green.. maybe freeze it after 2-4 weeks of curing or even after trimming if you like. I think it is normal for it to change color some when curing. Try the oxygen absorbers in your jars and compare to some without.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I have purchased lots of CA dispensary bud and top shelf is usually fresh but cured well enough to smoke.
sometimes it's a bit too fresh. lots of the mid to low end is old, so well cured.

on the east coast black to grey medical market local stuff is almost always too fresh.
if you have 8K in flower you should be able to find the sweet spots on your strains and
send your meds off when they are proper.

most people pick way early, dry too fast, desperate to sell at harvest time ASAP.
Can't be too hard to distinguish yourself once you get far away from CA and CO.
If you go to market as soon as you see 64% I say people who acquire it quickly don't like the way it burns.

redlaser

Veteran
I've noticed that the gamma lids on five gallon buckets fit differently, bucket to bucket slightly. The lids will all go on but some buckets are bigger than others, white was best, (from home depot) then home depot orange, then lowes. Kmart was good too. To make them airtight the gamma lid needs to be caulked to the bucket.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Cambro makes great food service containers that have ZERO OFF GAS and does not "hold the stink". Specifically the CamSquares Camwear made of clear polycarbonate and the lids do keep a good seal. The 8 qt will hold a pound of "manicured" buds and has the tightest lid seal (is what I "cure in") and the 12 qt size holds a pound of "unmanicured" buds and the lid seal is good, but not as "tight" as the 8 qt.

CamSquare%2012SFSCW%20w%20SFC12SCPP%20Seal%20Cover.jpg

Cambro's website: http://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Storage/Square_Food_Storage_Containers/10737420118/1033.aspx

White cardboard shipping boxes from US Post Office are good "moisture equalizers" and almost hold a pound.

Canning jars will always have the tightest seal, both quart and half gallon size...and IMHO, probably the best for long term storage. Nothing beats glass!

To remove oxygen, I use a product called Private Preserver that us wine snobs use to keep opened wine "fresh". It is a blend Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide and Argon (no oxygen or impurities) that slows oxidation to a crawl...available on Amazon and most wine shops for under $10 and will deliver 120 uses (4 spurts of air for each bottle/use).

It looks like a bottle of wine...sort of.
PrivatePreserve_2009.gif

flat9

Cambro makes great food service containers that have ZERO OFF GAS and does not "hold the stink". Specifically the CamSquares Camwear made of clear polycarbonate and the lids do keep a good seal. The 8 qt will hold a pound of "manicured" buds and has the tightest lid seal (is what I "cure in") and the 12 qt size holds a pound of "unmanicured" buds and the lid seal is good, but not as "tight" as the 8 qt.

View Image

Cambro's website: http://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Storage/Square_Food_Storage_Containers/10737420118/1033.aspx

White cardboard shipping boxes from US Post Office are good "moisture equalizers" and almost hold a pound.

Canning jars will always have the tightest seal, both quart and half gallon size...and IMHO, probably the best for long term storage. Nothing beats glass!

To remove oxygen, I use a product called Private Preserver that us wine snobs use to keep opened wine "fresh". It is a blend Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide and Argon (no oxygen or impurities) that slows oxidation to a crawl...available on Amazon and most wine shops for under $10 and will deliver 120 uses (4 spurts of air for each bottle/use).

It looks like a bottle of wine...sort of.
View Image

Damn I'm gonna get me some of that for my wine more so than my bud!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
If you like glass, Ace Hardware has some 1 gallon mason type jars. IDK how much they are. I often use the 3 1/2 gallon storage chests you get at Walmart. I guess the taste isn't perfect, but when you have a lot of weed you have to do something.

HarvestMoon303

I have had friends ruin half a crop from trying to cure in 5 gallow loses/HD buckets. He insisted that glass was king, although I think that I could see a benefit to Stainess Steel, if done correctly, particularly since they are 100+ opaque, vs clear Ball jars.

MJBadger

Veteran
just vac them up and keep in the cellar, or in a cool basement

Surely the idea of curing is to let it breathe for a short while daily until cured , vac-ing will just trap it as it is .

EastBayGrower

Veteran
yeah im thinking about going for 5 gal food grade buckets with gamma seal lids, with individual pds in turkeybags with bovida packs at 62%

string hung dried till stem snaps, then brown bag for a day or two then bagged up for cure...

im going to use my wire cages, same as used for plant support, and string wire across two of them, and hang buds all around it.... portable drying racks :)

hopefully itll be around 10pds this harvest (hopefully, fingers crossed), not much, but will be a chore and wan to make sure its done properly, i;ve always used mason jars previously but i really dont want to buy a bunch of glass for curing, just not feeling it lol....

thanks for everyones input, never thought of 5gal w/ gamma lid, thats why i love this site, can talk shop in an industry that is known for secrecy

HatchBrew

Veteran
yeah im thinking about going for 5 gal food grade buckets with gamma seal lids, with individual pds in turkeybags with bovida packs at 62%

string hung dried till stem snaps, then brown bag for a day or two then bagged up for cure...

im going to use my wire cages, same as used for plant support, and string wire across two of them, and hang buds all around it.... portable drying racks :)

hopefully itll be around 10pds this harvest (hopefully, fingers crossed), not much, but will be a chore and wan to make sure its done properly, i;ve always used mason jars previously but i really dont want to buy a bunch of glass for curing, just not feeling it lol....

thanks for everyones input, never thought of 5gal w/ gamma lid, thats why i love this site, can talk shop in an industry that is known for secrecy

I picked up a pack of gamma lids off the 'zon for fifty dollars. Going to be my bulk storage, than just keep a mason jar filled up for myself. I'm not going to hit 10#'s though.

redlaser

Veteran
I like using Gamma lids on buckets for various storage needs, but found they need to be caulked to the bucket to get an airtight seal. If your in a dry area just the lid on the bucket without caulk will allow the buds to dry too much. Home Depot buckets had the worst fit with gamma lids and the Kmart buckets fit better, but these were bought two years ago.

deadlung

I got glass jars that can hold a 1/2 LB

fill em up, back into box that holds 4... 2lb a box... stack em up. done.

only problem wa we had to order a shit ton, like a room in the house got filled with these things ...

we ended up giving tons away with purchases of weed, lol.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
30 gallon totes work like a charm for me for big amounts, got tired of giving away my glass lol.

X

xavier7995

does it cure in the wild?

Folks are not really looking for a fine smoking experience in the wild though...I imagine weed in the wild to be just walking up and taking a big ol bite out of the buds.

I found Ace Hardware to be a fantastic spot to pick up cheap mason jars. Comes out to a buck or two a pop, most online places had high shipping or were still higher priced than Ace. I don't think I would want to use anything except glass, never really thought of metal containers though; they could be a really good option, but I don't think even food grade containers are desirable. That said, you gotta do what you gotta do and anything over 5lbs in jars is just a pain in the ass, for commercial production the 5 gallon food cans seem to be the way to go.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you find the plastic cures different than glass?

i would be afraid to not use my big jars... i love em. i wish I had a jar that fit a LB

Ill be honest I notice zero difference. The only thing is for long term storage they may dry out more than in glass... for the actual curing part they are jsut the same as glass imho taste etc just as good as glass.

They do get pretty stinky tho absorbing the smells lol