What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

My wife lives project to project, so I know . . . :rolleyes:

The one burning question that you did not answer: Are you going to wear it in public? :cool:

(With apologies to your wife because the beading is excellent.)
I may.

Back in the day when I had my Electraglides, a hat needed to be a good fit, even with the windshield.

Now the windiest things I operate are my boat and the snowmachines, and on the snowmachines, more often than not, I have a notably warmer and more full hat on.

That leaves the boats, and driving the truck, or just being outside.

Seems to me to be a special occasion kind of hat now; maybe outdoor festivities, which I rarely attend, but sometimes...

We'll see.

I sent an Aussie-made cowboy hat (an Akubra) she did a cosmic headband beading around the 'pipe' of, to a member in Oz who I was indebted to for their hospitality. That one truly said, "Yes, I've done a lot of acid" when one looked at it.

This one isn't nearly as implicitly cosmic, giving it that much more probability that on rare occasions it might be worn publicly; maybe July 4th Community Picnics or something (though I rarely attend those anymore either).

experienced

And I'm right brained; left-handed since long before they tried to 'compel' me to be different.

Though I do shoot a rifle right-handed, a handgun mostly left-handed, a submachine gun ambidextrously, and bat mostly right-handed. Forced conventionality may have crossed some wires inadvertently during the process of attempted and failed conditioning re. hand-writing dominance.
Far east! Aha ... left handed eh? Coulda known ...

buzzmobile

Veteran
Wanna trade hats?
1681639659104.png

moose eater

I run 4 overhead Light Force 7" diameter HIDs on my truck (2 blue lenses and 2 clear). Used to run 2 of their (either) 9" or 11" (can't recall the size) on a previous truck, up top (both with clear lenses). All on relays for the power consumption in such things. Watching the amp meter bounce when I engage that circuit.

If drivers are courteous and paying attention in the nighttime, a person can often look at the guardrail, berm or snow berm a ways ahead, the shoulder, whatever, and see the faint glow of oncoming traffic on corners and even somewhat on blind hills well before they're going to blind oncoming drivers.. Paying that kind of attention can keep one free from some unnecessary conflicts in life.

A true Darwinian move is to blind someone in opposing traffic on a 2-lane road, barreling at you in a multi-ton projectile; their seeing might mean you having a better chance at surviving.

Not that I haven't done this on purpose when some asshat was either too aloof to remember their brights were on, or in those cases of the narcissists among us, who just didn't give a shit about whether or not they were blinding someone. In those case, I figure if they want to compete in the sport of 'let's blind others', I can fry retinas with the best of them with the gear I run.

But I try to be very alert and respectful when I run these things, and I never run them in town.

Admitting when my irritation and intolerance for inattentive driver's blinding me has piqued my defiant and indignant responses, that I am also already aware of the fact that I've wilfully blinded another who was headed my way in a metal vehicle with a lot of weight involved, and that 'E = M x C Squared' phenomenon. Anger and indignation can be self-crippling sometimes.

I know there are, or used to be places in the US where if the Highway Patrol or other LEOs witnessed a person running what used to be regarded as 'off-road lighting', some have gone as far as to remove the lights from the vehicle on the side of the road, during the stop. A spendy penalty to pay for not paying attention. But many people feel pain in their wallets more than anything else.

Last edited:

moose eater

Back in hitchhiking and bush-traveling days, I sometimes wore a wide-brimmed black Stetson with a custom pipe band, or a leather 'pack hat' with slightly narrower brim.

I found that driving a truck or car with such things often resulted in it being pushed down over my eyes by the headrest, creating both a hazard and an irritation nuisance.

Though I continue to be impressed with such things when it's raining. :)

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
what used to be regarded as 'off-road lighting'
they'll still hammer you for that here. lights on rails above the cab verboten on road, as are "extra" headlights mounted below on a bumper. anything more than 2 headlights gets their attention. when the super bright lights first came out, the law only allowed them in new vehicles (Mercedes, BMW, and Porsches, i think) that they were original equipment in. THAT shit didn't last long...:wallbash:

moose eater

sure it could. but... what will your wife do when she sees someone beating you with a ball bat in the driveway? run out and hand you your pistol? or someone breaks in while you are gone? SHE can't use it...or will you buy HER one too? gun haters gonna love that...
Can one firearm be programmed to acept more than one set of fingerprints?

My understanding was that they could be, but I don't know that. And I haven't taken the time to look this morning after reading your post.

Instead, I went on a hunt for new desiccant packets of size SMALL, for the proper rebuilding and resealing of the tachometer and speedometer on an '08 Skidoo TUV V-800 Expedition for which I've found some minor fogging in the speedometer, where all sorts of digital function for the motor, etc., link to hazard lights on the dash, to tell you when the world's coming to an end.

I'd already replaced the now-obsolete tachometer recently due to breeching of the O-ring in it, only to find out at a local hydraulic outlet that similar size O-rings were available for all of $2 each (versus $145 for the tach and $370 for the speedometer), hopefully in the proper density to compress properly to allow the refitment of the VERY SNUG fronts and backs of the gauges.

I needed another project. :) Especially one that might save me the $370 speedometer cost for all of $2 and some appropriate cussing.

Besides, in the past I've used such desiccant packets in the freezing of cubensis 'shrooms for long-term storage in the freezers.... So it's a win-win in that regard.

And if nothing else, it resolved a long-time trivia question; Can a person buy volume/wholesale lots of desiccant packets in various tiny sizes? The answer, as of this morning, per Google, is "Why, yes, they can."

Last edited:

moose eater

sure it could. but... what will your wife do when she sees someone beating you with a ball bat in the driveway? run out and hand you your pistol? or someone breaks in while you are gone? SHE can't use it...or will you buy HER one too? gun haters gonna love that...
OK, I just did a search online, and what I found says up to 3 sets of fingerprints (or palm prints) can be added to the newly designed safety feature.

However, had I known the proclivities, forms of psychological imbalance, and predisposition of my ex-wife 38 years ago, I would not have added her prints to my weapons had this feature or option existed.

As it was, I made the mistake of giving her an AMT Back-Up .380 Auto/9mm Kurz for our wedding, which I later stared down the barrel of.

Newly acquired spouses are sometimes a bad idea for recipient for firearms until a person has spent at least a year with them. That was my later conclusion.

I'd have no issue at all putting my now-wife of 34 years (35 years in cohabitation) prints into such a safety device, however. Apples and rotted tomatoes in contrast.

experienced

As it was, I made the mistake of giving her an AMT Back-Up .380 Auto/9mm Kurz for our wedding, which I later stared down the barrel of.

Newly acquired spouses are sometimes a bad idea for recipient for firearms until a person has spent at least a year with them. That was my later conclusion.

Crikey! What a life you have led!

(Crikey: Limey or Aussie expletive derived from 'christ' to be used in mixed or religious company).

Dime

It could be for law enforcement on the job. Narrows the shooter down and if it is taken it can't be used.

moose eater

We've had dozens of snow buntings on our garden's moose fence and near our feeders for the last half-week or so. Not an unusual bird to see in this State in my past many travels on the highways, but we've never seen them in our yard before.

Typically this time of year they are headed to their summer places up in the arctic or subarctic tundra, and I suspect they typically take the coastal route, which would explain why we've not seen them here before in noteworthy numbers at my latitude. Like gangs of snow buntings. Very pretty.

They space themselves on the fence railings almost like they have a measuring tape, with x number of feet between them, fairly precisely in their spacing, looking like Snoopy's Woodstock, but cloned like 20 times. A bit hilarious, while also beautiful.

1681785844649.png