What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

Ca++

I think the problems started before launch. They had to pause the countdown because of a few flags. One was that it was taking too long to fill. We have all been there. It's a leak in nearly every case. They were just assessing how fast the pressure was dropping I think. However, taking such a vessel and then shaking the shit out of it, wasn't ever a good plan.
The failure to light it up properly said it all to me. Separation failure seems impossible, but logically is powered by the first stage. Which didn't fill or light properly. I noticed the camera feed watching the separation was cut moments before the thing broke up. I feel sure they lit up the second stage, in desperation. Future builds will have the first stage carry chutes that can deploy even after failed separation. To bring something home.

All in All, that sucked. I can't think why they were cheering. Musk certainly wasn't

moose eater

No idea if this is helpful.
Thanks, buzz.

In a perfect world I'd locate the brand and quality (as well as type) of Calcium supplement that a friend in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory had that she gifted me a small bag of when I was there the end of last October or early November..

Never mind that I believe Canada's approach to regulating supplements is likely more stringent than our carnival sales idea of such things here in the US.

Her's was sourced from about 5 or so different sources of calcium, to include calcium malate, calcium citrate, calcium carbonate, and at least 2 other sources.

I'd been having muscle cramps of outrageous intensity and duration, and she recommended her source of successful addressing her similar maladies.

The first night I took 2 of them, and no cramps at all occurred. Like magic.

The best I've found here thus far involves a 3-way sourcing (citrate, malate and carbonate) for a whopping $32/bottle of 250 tablets with a recommended dosage of 2 tablets 2 time/day, or 4 per day. and not anywhere nearly as effective. Not even close.

In fact, the ones I've been taking, per research on WebMD, may in fact be contributing to the rapid onset of weakness, muscle and joint pains, and such. Go figger'.

Yesterday, in the continued search for these things, I put on my 'moral hazmat suit' and entered Walmart, where I found some singular-sourced Calcium Citrate. It was cheap, it was Walmart's expected fare, likely packaged by barefoot, underage Cambodian or Bangladeshi children, and who knows how effective, but I figured, "What the fuck? I'll give it a try."

Still looking.

There's been some breeches or chasms in the communication with the household where my friend lives who had the better quality and effective Canadian calcium supplements she shared, but I may eventually eat my ethics where such contact is concerned and phone them. Seems kind of cheesy, though, to not have much contact for 6 months or so, then call and ask a favor of this sort.

Thanks again.

moose eater

No idea if this is helpful.
BTW, buzz, I like your sig block choice today. More pointed than Snow White, and not as attractive, but more thought provoking and positive.

To quote Wayne of Wayne and Garth, "Most excellent, dude!!"

buzzmobile

Veteran
BTW, buzz, I like your sig block choice today. More pointed than Snow White, and not as attractive, but more thought provoking and positive.

To quote Wayne of Wayne and Garth, "Most excellent, dude!!"
I appreciate the feedback. I enjoy the rotating signatures.

The guy kinda looked like you, @tobedetermined . He had fuzzy hair and carried the look of a mouth breather.

Happy 4/20

moose eater

I have 2 .22 rifles here now since my younger son moved out a year and a quarter ago with the Ruger 10-22 carbine (old school w/ a nice birch-wood stock) I'd fixed up for him, with a rebuilt bolt, and repaired (improved) rear open sight.

I have a 1935 single-shot Remington Model 33 that precedes serial number requirements, is down to gun metal gray due to the blued finish being gone long before a friend gifted it to me, and even back then, it had over 25% of the bore shot out from it. Nonetheless it made headshots on red squirrels here for years and years.

I also have a slightly newer, but still antique Canadian-made Winchester, branded as a Cooey, with decent wood stock, a tube-fed receiver as it's a repeater, and a re-welded trigger group from when some overzealous member in a play years ago in South Central Alaska jerked it into disrepair, but failed to offer up any repair costs.

Both guns in their old age, shoot other .22 rimfire ammunition than just .22 lr. Both, in their time, have been tack drivers. both have the tiny old-school Weaver tube scopes on them reminiscent of their vintage. Both of the scopes suffer inordinate glare and are not sealed the way a modern nitrogen-purged scope might be.

So, I went looking online today to see what might be found in a newer vintage firearm in the way of a .22 rimfire rifle. HOLY SHIT!! .22 rifles of decent quality are no longer 'dirt cheap'.

I'll go looking at the online gun auction sites now, following the sticker shock caused by what I just saw at the larger sporting goods box stores (locally) online.

Or maybe look for a co-signer.

Three Berries

228993b555ee1048fc378506e8abb90a905103ab9a9b56b6aa695198f0f8baf8.jpg

moose eater

used to see Marlin model 60s at great prices, after the 10-22 shook up the rimfire world. and the Ruger wasn't a bank-breaker either...they convert into a full auto fairly easily apparently. :shucks:
Had a semi-auto Marlin as a kid that was meant to resemble the M-1 carbine.

Preference is for a good quality bolt-action rifle for accuracy, with iron sights and a decent scope in 42mm diameter. Semi-autos are nice for ease of operation, but often lead to too much ammunition spent and loss of accuracy in the bolt's function.

A new stainless Ruger 10-22 here with no scope on it (basic model) is right at $370, and the blued model with a cheapo 3-9x variable scope is about $379.

moose eater

I've had the Cooey for about 37 or 38 years. Cooey went through a series of different owners in Ontario, to include Winchester.
Ironically the play in which the trigger group was initially damaged involved a preacher whose wife was promiscuous, and a Mayor with prostate cancer. I was the Mayor. And now I have prostate cancer.

Might give some pause as to which parts they try out for in local plays. :) Not sure of the cause-and-effect relationship there but seems a bit.. coincidental. :)

Last edited:

moose eater

one bullet, placed carefully.....i had a military target rifle by Mossberg..."had" dammit...:wallbash:
The semi-auto Marlin I had as a kid, unlike the newer model 60's, had a detachable magazine (stamped metal with a vertical z-spring), and I haven't seen one of those in years. Changing out a magazine in the woods is far easier than putting more cartridges into a long tube and possibly having to re-insert the long-ish feed stem/spring tube behind them.

Just spoke with the local Malwart, and they claim to have a basic stainless Ruger 10-22 for $282, but if that's correct, it's WAY cheaper than the local Sportsman's Waerhouse, who has a stainless basic 10-22 for $370 or $380.

Hmm. Now I'm suspicious.

Are there underage abused youthful laborers in Vietnam assembling Ruger rifles or counterfeits for Malwart?

I'll call Gym Jordan and see if he has time for an additional investigation. Maybe a committee to tackle this conundrum?

• Haha
Reactions: Gry

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Pitching the whole vehicle to separate seems crazy, but that is what the Spacex guy was saying. It looks like they initiated the pitch, the stages stayed attached unexpectedly, and there was no program to stop the pitching by reversing the thrust vectoring.

Musk looked pissed. He was probably sitting there remembering the meeting where they decided to pitch to separate, and who made the decision to do that. Wouldn't opening the steering flaps on the booster help pull them apart? Maybe they already do that.

Damn, I wanted to see the booster stick a water landing and the Starship crash in a steaming mess after getting away with re-entry. Still pretty cool Made in America (not by the MIC) stuff. McDonnel Douglas (Boeing) tried the vertical landing thing, it was successfully demo'd, but died in NASA. Musk took the idea and ran with it. Bezos did also, before Musk actually.

Latest posts

Latest posts