What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

For the aforementioned 'excluded veggies' I offer up the same mantra applied to fishing🎣. Pictures or it did not happen. The purple cauliflower is taking it hard.

Most of the soot is washed away.
:D

Glad to hear the soot's faded, buzz.

I think you have (or had) a couple of Fall garden harvest pics, starring the infamous purple cauliflower, among other delectables. My younger son is in them, if I recall correctly, but if you put them through a 'Paint' or similar program, you can either zero in on the veggies, cropping the photos, or cover his face.

We plant most bedding plants here the end of May, or the 1st of June, so the current bounty is still in the making.

That said, we just gave everything a fairly brisk or light feeding, as the late-to-show veggies received a later initial feeding than those that were up and running a while ago; so today we sort of synchronized them, though I messed up, and left out the initial mixing for the leaf veggies, or those that are prone to bolting, such as the lettuce and the bok choy.

The only plot that received heavy organics this year were the spuds, into which I put 50 lbs. of steamed bone meal, and 40 lbs. of blood meal, along with 15 or 20 lbs. of left-over langbeinite; hate to use the langbeinite too often on veggies or smoke, but.... when I need a decent dose of K and nothing else is immediately available, then.....

My wife got me a really good bottle of Merlot for my birthday; a Francis Coppola 2017; not supposed to do any of that, due to the rehab for bladder & urethra, as well as the cancer diet, but, it's how we celebrate, we humans; slowly killing ourselves.

On the same note, she got me 2 different premium ribeye steaks. Not sure if she's being kind, or reviewing my life insurance policy? ;^>)

The computer at the repair shop is a 1.5 yr. old Dell, and I've become suspicious of their quality over the last several years, but this is the 1st one I've owned that shit the bed after all of about 18 mos. Don't know that I'll be spending a lot more money with them after this experience. But that's the computer I'm waiting on to post pics with.

One of the 2 cameras I 'refurbished' is one I took to Manhattan, to OWS in 2011, and after minor effort, is functioning -quite- well.

Time to light the grill, and pour another glass of fine Merlot.

The sprinklers are watering in the fertilizers to the gardens, and I need to get up again.

By the way, if you get a chance to sample R.W. Knudsen's Organic Blueberry & Pomegranate Juice, do so. Whio ever created THAT delight is a culinary genius!!!

buzzmobile

Veteran
My wife got me a really good bottle of Merlot for my birthday; a Francis Coppola 2017; not supposed to do any of that, due to the rehab for bladder & urethra, as well as the cancer diet, but, it's how we celebrate, we humans; slowly killing ourselves.

As Paul told Timmy, "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."
How was the ribeye?

I have spent the last week drilling and screwing and making plumb the headers for my hurricane shutters. Elsa is going to pass by us tomorrow and Wednesday to encourage me to complete the project. I spent several hours yesterday sorting through the panels sorting and separating them into stacks of same lengths. I now have what looks to be an aluminum pipe organ under construction in the shed. 18 windows to install and I have only 5 headers in place. I'll be calling on my brother when the weather clears. A couple of 8'+ windows and a set of windows nearly 10' across calls for more than my two hands.

Sunshineinabag

Dude free piles here are interesting

:tumbleweed:

20210705_094310.jpg

moose eater

As Paul told Timmy, "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."
How was the ribeye?

I have spent the last week drilling and screwing and making plumb the headers for my hurricane shutters. Elsa is going to pass by us tomorrow and Wednesday to encourage me to complete the project. I spent several hours yesterday sorting through the panels sorting and separating them into stacks of same lengths. I now have what looks to be an aluminum pipe organ under construction in the shed. 18 windows to install and I have only 5 headers in place. I'll be calling on my brother when the weather clears. A couple of 8'+ windows and a set of windows nearly 10' across calls for more than my two hands.

I'm happy to say the only tornadoes I know of in Alaska's 'recent' history, were out in the Aleutian Islands, over Palmer, and a couple others, I think. You can find the info by googling 'Tornadoes in Alaska?' Not sure if it gets better results if you add an exclamation mark to the query.

We DO, however, get more than our share of wild and not-so-wild fires. Currently, not too many air miles from us, there are 2 fires that have had their respective communities on varying degrees of stand-by status for evac; the Shovel Creek Fire, and the Munson Creek Fire.

Out near the Munson Creek Fire, off Chena Hot Springs Rd., there's also been an arsonist playing.

Most of our smokey blazes are started by lightning strikes, of which we receive record numbers.

Arson of a domicile, on the other hand, whether currently occupied or not, back in the early '80's, when I studied a bit of criminal justice briefly at University of Alaska-Fairbanks, was a legitimate 'shooting offense', even by a non-resident/non-owner. Don't know if that's still the case. Considered writing a letter to the editor, pointing out the further correlation of arson and unresolved issues re. sexual abuse as a child, as well as cruelty toward animals, wondering if that might facilitate the Hot Springs Rd. fire-nut to maybe reveal themselves. Thus far, per reports, the miscreant(s) has/have written letters to their victims, after the fact.

We had a couple of fires near our home, within the past couple of weeks (one was less than a mile, as the crows, or in our case, ravens fly). Smoke-jumpers and Forestry hit them hard with water bombers, choppers, smoke-jumpers, and, of course, the ever helpful and daring administrators, for several days. Person in the area took the precaution of moving their sled dog team to a less risky locale. Other than that, it was life as usual, but for a bit of smoke, which we now have from the 2 more notorious and threatening blazes previously mentioned.

Sounds like you're 'battening down the hatches.' Likely the best you can do, short of departing on an impromptu vacation, eh?

Widest window in our place is 5'; triple pane, low-e argon glass still doesn't compete with R-34 walls, where heat retention is concerned. But good luck with the monster glass.

The best of the 2 ribeyes, I ate a couple days ago; it was a sealed 8 oz., boneless, organic-reared, grass-fed, steak that came from the small end of the rib (the best end to get prime rib or ribeye from), and was nothing shy of INCREDIBLE. Melted in the mouth. Had it with a bit of extra-hot horseradish.

The one I grilled last night was better than 1.5 inches thick, had the bone in, which I typically prefer for flavor, went an obscene 1.6 lbs., had less feathering in the marbling (like Wagyu beef, I try to get feathered marbling rather than big clods of fat in the middle), had incredibly good flavor, but was not the melt-in-your-mouth experience that the boneless one was, that was literally about a third of its size..

All in all, it was 2 days of decadence, and I still have at least 1 small glass of the silky-smooth, uber-rich Merlot remaining.

My younger son gave me a half-gallon Mason jar-type jug, with a mug handle and pouring spout, (multiple applications, I guess), as well as a really potent/bright as hell, small, aluminum-bodied flashlight, and an aluminum-bodied, very bright, collapsible camping lantern. That, and he's replacing the head gaskets, and doing other work on my old Subaru, and taking care of the lion's share of the tree operation/selective land-clearing at the lower end of the property. I did well with that young man!! He's gift enough.

Been a pretty good couple of days.

Again, good luck with the wind and water. We could use some of that H2O up here, to cool the flames a bit, and to filter the smoke from the air.

On a positive note, providing the flames stay at a distance, the gardens love the micro-ash/airborne nutrients and CO2/CO from the fires, so while we're resenting it, the plants are in Heaven.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
They're like blizzards but they're different.

I thought about this & you are right. I have driven in some real shit in Florida – outer bands & tornado-producing storms, blindly following the blinking hazard lights of the guy ahead of you on I-75 . . . and . . . I have driven through whiteouts in blizzards here in Canada where you sense the road by watching the telephone poles that run beside it, praying that that car that was ahead of you didn’t panic & slam on his brakes . . .

buzzmobile

Veteran
I thought about this & you are right. I have driven in some real shit in Florida – outer bands & tornado-producing storms, blindly following the blinking hazard lights of the guy ahead of you on I-75 . . . and . . . I have driven through whiteouts in blizzards here in Canada where you sense the road by watching the telephone poles that run beside it, praying that that car that was ahead of you didn’t panic & slam on his brakes . . .
Those conditions can produce a whole lot of "pucker power" and gripping the steering wheel tighter does little to improve the handling.

That car driving with the hazard lights was one of your countrymen. LOL Up until July 1, 2021 it was illegal to drive with hazard lights in Florida.
https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2021/06/04/617108.htm
Florida Changes Driving Rule on Using Hazard Lights

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. —For years, Florida has been reminding motorists not to use flashing hazard lights while driving.

Well starting soon, feel free to flash away _ but only on the highway.

And only in heavy rain or fog.

Hardly noticed in a 38-page transportation bill passed by state lawmakers last month were two lines that change an often-discussed — and rarely followed — driving law.

Beginning July 1, unless Gov. Ron DeSantis vetoes the measure, Florida drivers will be allowed to use hazard lights on roads with speed limits at or above 55 mph when the conditions create “extremely low visibility.”

The law rebuts years of messaging by state traffic officials, who have been telling drivers on social media, on highway signs and in news stories not to use those lights in the rain.

“If driving in rain is too dangerous, pull off the road,” warned the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles in a 2015 tweet. “DO NOT activate hazard lights while still traveling.”

Sounds like you're 'battening down the hatches.' Likely the best you can do, short of departing on an impromptu vacation, eh?
moose eater , I'm working on being able to "batten down the hatches" for future storms. Elsa affirmed the expense of purchasing hurricane shutters and she has provided motivation to get up and get outside on the ladder and keep leveling, plumbing, drilling and screwing around in preparation for the big storm. We are far enough away from the coast and our property is very well drained so there is no need to run from the water. We hide from the wind and stay in place. I have installed transfer switches in the house and on the well with a generator on standby. There's no way I am going to get on the highways during an evacuation order.

I don't hunker either. LOL

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Those conditions can produce a whole lot of "pucker power" and gripping the steering wheel tighter does little to improve the handling.

That car driving with the hazard lights was one of your countrymen. LOL Up until July 1, 2021 it was illegal to drive with hazard lights in Florida.

I think I even knew that. But the last time, I was sb on 75 between Tampa & Bradenton. The rain was biblical & lightening was continuous. Traffic slowed to 25 mph & you could not change lanes, let alone get to an exit – which all looked full anyway. And anyone with a brain knows that pulling over in that is suicide. I was in it for almost an hour. A tornado in the storm killed some people in a trailer park somewhere east of the freeway that morning.

Sunshineinabag

This should be interesting...I need you to be safe, we have future projects to tackle:biggrin::yay:I want you guys to come up for Halloween this yr if you up for it

Sunshineinabag

I'm happy to say the only tornadoes I know of in Alaska's 'recent' history, were out in the Aleutian Islands, over Palmer, and a couple others, I think. You can find the info by googling 'Tornadoes in Alaska?' Not sure if it gets better results if you add an exclamation mark to the query.

We DO, however, get more than our share of wild and not-so-wild fires. Currently, not too many air miles from us, there are 2 fires that have had their respective communities on varying degrees of stand-by status for evac; the Shovel Creek Fire, and the Munson Creek Fire.

Out near the Munson Creek Fire, off Chena Hot Springs Rd., there's also been an arsonist playing.

Most of our smokey blazes are started by lightning strikes, of which we receive record numbers.

Arson of a domicile, on the other hand, whether currently occupied or not, back in the early '80's, when I studied a bit of criminal justice briefly at University of Alaska-Fairbanks, was a legitimate 'shooting offense', even by a non-resident/non-owner. Don't know if that's still the case. Considered writing a letter to the editor, pointing out the further correlation of arson and unresolved issues re. sexual abuse as a child, as well as cruelty toward animals, wondering if that might facilitate the Hot Springs Rd. fire-nut to maybe reveal themselves. Thus far, per reports, the miscreant(s) has/have written letters to their victims, after the fact.

We had a couple of fires near our home, within the past couple of weeks (one was less than a mile, as the crows, or in our case, ravens fly). Smoke-jumpers and Forestry hit them hard with water bombers, choppers, smoke-jumpers, and, of course, the ever helpful and daring administrators, for several days. Person in the area took the precaution of moving their sled dog team to a less risky locale. Other than that, it was life as usual, but for a bit of smoke, which we now have from the 2 more notorious and threatening blazes previously mentioned.

Widest window in our place is 5'; triple pane, low-e argon glass still doesn't compete with R-34 walls, where heat retention is concerned. But good luck with the monster glass.

The best of the 2 ribeyes, I ate a couple days ago; it was a sealed 8 oz., boneless, organic-reared, grass-fed, steak that came from the small end of the rib (the best end to get prime rib or ribeye from), and was nothing shy of INCREDIBLE. Melted in the mouth. Had it with a bit of extra-hot horseradish.

The one I grilled last night was better than 1.5 inches thick, had the bone in, which I typically prefer for flavor, went an obscene 1.6 lbs., had less feathering in the marbling (like Wagyu beef, I try to get feathered marbling rather than big clods of fat in the middle), had incredibly good flavor, but was not the melt-in-your-mouth experience that the boneless one was, that was literally about a third of its size..

All in all, it was 2 days of decadence, and I still have at least 1 small glass of the silky-smooth, uber-rich Merlot remaining.

My younger son gave me a half-gallon Mason jar-type jug, with a mug handle and pouring spout, (multiple applications, I guess), as well as a really potent/bright as hell, small, aluminum-bodied flashlight, and an aluminum-bodied, very bright, collapsible camping lantern. That, and he's replacing the head gaskets, and doing other work on my old Subaru, and taking care of the lion's share of the tree operation/selective land-clearing at the lower end of the property. I did well with that young man!! He's gift enough.

Been a pretty good couple of days.

Again, good luck with the wind and water. We could use some of that H2O up here, to cool the flames a bit, and to filter the smoke from the air.

On a positive note, providing the flames stay at a distance, the gardens love the micro-ash/airborne nutrients and CO2/CO from the fires, so while we're resenting it, the plants are in Heaven.

I'd be willing to send you a couple of these give it thd Pepsi challenge

https://www.vermontfresh.net/news-events-and-blog/guild-and-company/

My fuken gawd are those ribeyes absolutely divine. Forks only boys:bump::biggrin:​​​​​​​

buzzmobile

Veteran
I think I even knew that. But the last time, I was sb on 75 between Tampa & Bradenton. The rain was biblical & lightening was continuous. Traffic slowed to 25 mph & you could not change lanes, let alone get to an exit – which all looked full anyway. And anyone with a brain knows that pulling over in that is suicide. I was in it for almost an hour. A tornado in the storm killed some people in a trailer park somewhere east of the freeway that morning.

My wife and I were living in Ft. Myers in 1989. She was a nurse who worked night shift and we both got a wild hair to drive to my parents' house in Panama City to join my brothers and sisters for Christmas. We went north on I-75 and traffic came to a complete stop due to ice. Semis and cars were spun off in the median and off the shoulders. From Ocala to Gainesville was solid ice. There aren't any salt trucks in the Sunshine State. We finally made it to I-10 to discover that the DOT had dumped sand on the bridges. The sand was about 8-10" deep on some of the bridges. LOL

https://flbrace.org/images/docs/extreme-cold-factsheet.pdf

moose eater

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../04/617108.htm
Florida Changes Driving Rule on Using Hazard Lights

moose eater , I'm working on being able to "batten down the hatches" for future storms. Elsa affirmed the expense of purchasing hurricane shutters and she has provided motivation to get up and get outside on the ladder and keep leveling, plumbing, drilling and screwing around in preparation for the big storm. We are far enough away from the coast and our property is very well drained so there is no need to run from the water. We hide from the wind and stay in place. I have installed transfer switches in the house and on the well with a generator on standby. There's no way I am going to get on the highways during an evacuation order.

I don't hunker either. LOL

I envy the transfer switches and larger whole-house generator set up. When we lose power during windstorms, etc., in the winter, I snake a 100' 12/3 all-temps (arctic, good to -58 f.) cord through my make-up air-vent in the daylight basement (tightness of the house required a barometric make-up air vent to allow for kitchen & dryer exhausts), and run the cord with a 12/3 multi-plug outlet to my EK Resolute boiler, running only the top 2 floors of the house, as it's typically 2-3 days w/o power before I need to turn on heat, and the basement has a homemade wood burning stove from a friend, as well as the 2000-watt Honda not handling the basement air handler draw, while simultaneously running heat zones for the 2 top floors).

It's at those times the freezer packs (blue ice packs) come out of the freezers, go into coolers with refrigerated goods, and the frozen goods go out onto the enclosed back porch in open (other) coolers; a benefit and detriment of Winter here, at the same time; fairly easy most times to keep frozen goods frozen.

I've found that proximity to large bodies of water, versus the potential damage or debilitation brought by water, are 2 different things.

Once, riding a 1992 Harley FLHS back from N. Manitoba, and I got caught in a gray-out rainstorm in Western Saskatchewan, on Hwy 16, headed toward Lloydminster, with a semi on my ass. Could see him in the rear-view mirror before the wall of water hit, but then could barely only hear him; perceived myself becoming highway fodder. Didn't. Found a small pull-out I knew was there, simply by watching the fog line and indentations that marked intersections. Water, anywhere, from any source, can be a hazard.

Our garden received 1/4"+-size hail the other day, amidst a similar rainstorm. And the closest body of H2O near us is a primary river, about a 1/4 mile away. This particular time, the plants fared pretty well, all things considered.

Last edited:

moose eater

I'd be willing to send you a couple of these give it thd Pepsi challenge

https://www.vermontfresh.net/news-events-and-blog/guild-and-company/

My fuken gawd are those ribeyes absolutely divine. Forks only boys:bump::biggrin:

Those look pretty incredible. Need to save such an experience for the next time I fall off the vegan cancer diet wagon.

Yesterday marked day-3 of the birthday celebration, as far as food is concerned. I put 2 huge racks of pork ribs in the smoker after wrapping them in my kitchen-sink dry rub for about 15 hours. While it was all a tasty week-end, I need to get responsible again, though snacking on my vegan carrot birthday cake in the middle of the night isn't helping either.

I went from shedding weight without cause, while eating like a horse, pre-op, to recently gaining weight again, and now needing to try and find what I once possessed in the way of self-discipline and restraint where food's concerned.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
15C at 7am this morning . . . that means summer bubble hash! Whoopie! Let's wake the neighbours with ice cubes swirling in a Home Depot bucket. And gawd the buckets are loud when you foam the product on rinse . . . :rasta:

Latest posts

Latest posts