What's new

Top House Republican complaining that Obama administration is not fighting drug war h

Status
Not open for further replies.

raythat

September 22, 2010
Top House Republican complaining that Obama administration is not fighting drug war hard enough
As detailed in this report from The Hill, which is headlined "Republican: Obama administration fosters use of marijuana," at least one House Republican wants the Obama Administration to keep growing one part of the federal government:

Rep. Lamar Smith (Texas) accused the administration of being too lax in its enforcement of drug laws. President Obama's drug policies are encouraging increased marijuana use, a top Republican lawmaker charged Tuesday.

Rep. Lamar Smith (Texas), the top Republican member of the House Judiciary Committee who would likely become chairman of the committee under a GOP majority, accused the administration of being too lax in its enforcement of drug laws. "The administration is clearly sending the message that they don't think it's bad to use marijuana," Smith said on Fox News. "So they're encouraging the use of marijuana. And that simply is not a good thing to do."

Smith blamed the administration's decision to not enforce federal laws against marijuana dispensaries in states that have legalized the drug for medicinal purposes. Smith blamed the administration's approach on drug laws for recent statistics showing an increased use of marijuana.

"We ought to be enforcing our drug laws, not backing away from them," said Smith, who also lamented a recent revision of criminal sentencing guidelines that reduced sentencing guidelines for crack-cocaine traffickers. Proponents of the law in both parties had pushed that reform because sentencing for crack-related drug crimes were much more severe than for similar amounts of cocaine, a disparity which fueled a racial divide in drug sentencing.

As this article highlights, a Republican take-over of the House of Representatives this fall would likely result in Representative Lamar Smith becoming the chair of the House Judiciary Committee. And Representative Smith has long been a vocal proponent of the war on drugs and an array of other tough-on-crimes measures that have increased the severity and scope of the federal criminal justice system.

http://sentencing.typepad.com/sente...ion-is-not-fighting-drug-war-hard-enough.html

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Lamar Smith is what's wrong with politics.

This myopic Christian Scientist is always on the idiot side of an argument. I hope he's not representative of the majority of Texans.

"In 2006, Smith voted for the Abortion Pain Bill, which would 'ensure that women seeking an abortion are fully informed regarding the pain experienced by their unborn child.'"

ballplayer 2

TEXANS, please vote this slow out of office ASAP. How can a moron like this survive? Scrutinize what he says, and most importantly WHY he says it.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
I would proffer that Lamar Smith is what is wrong with Americans!!! Politics is a whole different beast.
Alot of somebodies voted this guy into office, and through some sleight of hand has penetrated one of the most powerful and influential comittees. This guy has some agenda to perpetuate the oppressive law schedualing cannabis as class I narcotic.
Oh wait...we freakin elected G. Bush (or did we?). We have the impetus to replace these cardboard congressmen and congresspurrsons, every election cycle, until we have a refreshed attitude towards who they work for!
The supreme court ought to play nice...there will not be one in new world order. They destroy our rights, that destroys their ivory towers.
:puke:

amannamedtruth

Veteran
It's be nice if Mr. Smith could enlighten us as to why its so bad. I feel that President Obama's lack attitude towards ignorant congressmen is bad for the country. You've got a majority in congress, Prez, have your way!

G

grasspass

The libertarians in the T party need to straighten out this Lamar Smith or kick his ass to the curb.

Last edited:

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
there are no libertarians in the tea party...
find us here

lp.org

tea baggers are to far left for us libertarians... ;)

Grendelkhan

Yes I smell that! Its the smell of what they are going to do if elected! Get ready for the witch hunt that they are going to do if elected. Anything that they can say or do to keep you from the facts that they don't know what they are doing.

bigAl25

Veteran
Fuck the Republicans and tea party this election. States rights over any chickenshit federal law against ganja. It is a gift from Jah/God. We must go to the polls and not let these evil people win in November. Smokers/growers get off your asses and vote. Also attend the John Stewart march on Washington.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
What's that I smell...oh it's such a familiar scent. Oh yes, it is the odor of autumn jackass douches.
Smells like a price rebound to me.
Hold on to your hats, the Dems haven't done shit that they promised ('cept spend money) these first two years. Obama isn't getting re-elected. So presidency is a 50-50 shot in two years. Everybody who opened up shop better make their retirement money soon...habeus corpus, right? Or does that apply if it is legal at State but not Federal.

It's the bible thumpers and the cops' families that grow the shitty weed, that is why it HAS to be illegal. When it is legal, too many fucking hippies and yuppies start growing the shit. Creating hardship for REAL Americans.:)

I

In~Plain~Site

Fuck the Republicans and tea party this election. States rights over any chickenshit federal law against ganja. It is a gift from Jah/God. We must go to the polls and not let these evil people win in November. Smokers/growers get off your asses and vote. Also attend the John Stewart march on Washington.

And just who exactly do you think is OVER_RIDING the state's right to govern it's own borders in Arizona right now?

Some of you folks are so misinformed,or just so plain ignorant, it's pathetic.

Carry-on with your circle jerk :jerkit:

And just who exactly do you think is OVER_RIDING the state's right to govern it's own borders in Arizona right now?

Some of you folks are so misinformed,or just so plain ignorant, it's pathetic.

Carry-on with your circle jerk :jerkit:

Agreed. I love the party fight. Its just what they want and need to keep us confused and unorganized.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yeah, nothing like 50 different immigration policies to homogenize organization.

Keep the discussion on the politics of cannabis or watch another thread get waxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.