What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

P

Peppermint

I usually hang at another forum but figured I'd chime in here. Haven't grown tomatoes in over 30 years and this is my first batch since then. I'm at about 4,000' and haven't seen a drop of rain in about 90 days. Tried my hand at some Brandywine's and got my first ripe ones about 30 days ago. I only get sun in this spot about 11:00 to 5:00 so I think not too bad. The biggest one is the size of a grapefruit. I love my Brandywine's drizzled in oooold balsamic vinegar with a touch of Himalayan salt and a splash of fresh cracked pepper. There's a cherry mater in the middle I stuck in there late...

picture.php

Coolest thing this year was this frog. Been in my garden in high desert all Summer long. Don't know how it'll make it through the winter but hope he/she does!

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
welcome peppermint. great looking tomatoes & frog! mine are finished for the year but we've got a dozen or so we're going to run through February in the greenhouse. I'll post up the babies this week. It should be fun battling old man winter.

B

bock, bock

Hello all, This is my first visit in this thread, but i have grown tomatoes for a couple of years. I am still very much a novice, but i am hoping to make some crossings with some tomatoes this year.
I have bought a garden vegetable breeding book, but it doesn't have many drawings, so i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me.
I would like to learn exactly how to cross pollinate different tomatoes with an easy step by step guide, with pictures preferrably :)
I know that it is only a couple of simple steps, but i am not very familiar with tomato flowers and how to pollinate etc.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

P.S. Nice Tomatoes ♥

G

guest5703

Still getting fruit here in Sunny San Diego! Had some funky weather the past week though, a few days were 95+ and the next thing you know dropped back down to 80 and lower! Hopefully I don't get a lot of blossom dropping, I read that comes with dramatic temps...

I think I've also been seeing Russett mites, or possibly some sort of fungus like PM without the white mildew. I have leaves dying on certain plants, and others are fine. Tap water possibly hurting them? I water them with tiger bloom and RO water every week and mostly tap after that, they drink quite a bit, especially the OX hearts.

Here are my OX hearts doing well though!

picture.php

picture.php

And some random tomatoes that popped up in a basil pot, they turned out to be some kind of zebras!

picture.php

So what's hurting my plants??? Any help would be great!

picture.php

:wave:

B

bonecarver_OG

yeah tomato blight.

i had to cut down all my tomatoes almost allready. got only 2 clones in a separate corner of the veg garden.

annoying.. but i had time to get out a few gallons of tomato concentrate for the salsas for this autumn, but the last month we used most of it! :) home grown tomatoes are great for making a tomato sauce for pizza. yum yum :D :D

Limeygreen

Veteran
We had/have bad tomatoe blight this year and bacterial speck. I don't spray anything in the garden, even though I should, the loopers came out near the end and destroyed the pepper harvest all because I didn't use BT. Me and all my neighbours had blight I took mine out about 3 weeks ago now and they still leave theirs in so it will interesting next year.

Anyone try Oaxacan Jewel tomatoe? I didn't grab any pictures of it but it's a really tasty bi colour tomatoe, the Muchamiel and RAF (marmande is similar) were really tasty and meaty as well.

F

Fastcast

Nothing like homegrown.I got nine Black krim going right now,started from seed,about two months old.I like them just sliced with salt and pepper.Get to do two outdoor grows per year where I live.I really miss the gardens of Minnesota.

supermanlives

Veteran
i grow year round in so cal.i just get less and smaller produce in winter from maters and peppers.sometimes they overwinter on their own. my jalapenos grow all year.

F

Fastcast

Ya know i have never even eatin a jalapeno off the vine,I always eat the ones in the can.
Look at some of the gardens in the Midwest there frickkin huge!!My brother's Garden is 80'x30'.Sad to see some of it go to waste,to big!He does can a lot though.He's a good guy that SOB!Not able to stair at the toms like I do the Ganja.
I just grow in containers for now.

N

Nondual

I like them just sliced with salt and pepper.
I like em that way with a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar. I keep a bottle of Villa Manadori on hand for certain things like fresh maters. Normally I just use Willams-Sonoma house brand 'Oliver' for regular cooking/salads/etc. which is 25 years old and probably one of the best balsamics out there comparing the cost:quality ratio. At $28 for 15.5 oz hard to beat!

G

guest5703

Those blue tomatoes are pretty neat! My White Ox hearts are freakin huuuge!!! Hopefully they will be ready soon, I just lollipopped them to get more energy to the tops and the fruits that are already there. I'll take pics soon, there is one tomato in particular that is just F'in HUGE!

F

Fastcast

That looks so good!If more people tasted home grown, I think it would put a big dent in store sales.I never tire of toms.Thanks for the pic,Mrs.Babba.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts