What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

T

The Sensi Rebel

Yes, an acre! Although only an 1/8th or so was used last year. :bigeye:

The other is fertile, yet unworked area. Not sure if I'm going to light-dep. the weeds and grass, then till it with my father's inherited Kubota, or just dig large holes and fill it with my soil mix this year :tiphat:

I'm usually a container grower but I plan on doing a lot more in-ground this year. More root expansion + less watering.

Got the usual suspects, Big Boy, Better Boy, Best Boy, Beefeater, and Roma, and a few more packs that were freebies.

Gonna be a good year!

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I have grown more than a few heirloom types..no early girl or hybrids for me any more.

I really like Cowlick Brandywine and Purple Dog Creek,but this year I grew several heart type Toms,and I will be doing these almost exclusively from here on out.

In all honesty,let me suggest to you all to try growing some hearts for a change.Growing from seed is not that hard,and you will be pleasantly surprised by the flavor.If you are leery,then try just one variety.I would suggest Kosovo for your first try at an oxheart type.It is almost universally recommended...does well in almost every zone,and produces a good crop of large slicers with very few seeds.Excellent flavor as well.

You can thank me later.

BrownThumb

I am with you slim... sort of. I do only heirloom varieties from seed, but tend to like the Russian strains which are generally not heart shaped, though i did run some coure de toro last year or the year before... Those better this and better that varieties were bred for pest and disease resistance, I would assume in addition to hopefully better yields, but even though heirlooms are harder to grow and do not always produce copiously, anyone can do it if they work at it and do a little reading.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
those look tasty Mr.Fastcast, Black Krim is my favorite I've grown so far

This year Im growing Black Krim, Black Cherry, Stupice, Sashas Altai, Cosmonaut Volkov, Roma, prob a few more

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I am with you slim... sort of. I do only heirloom varieties from seed, but tend to like the Russian strains which are generally not heart shaped, though i did run some coure de toro last year or the year before... Those better this and better that varieties were bred for pest and disease resistance, I would assume in addition to hopefully better yields, but even though heirlooms are harder to grow and do not always produce copiously, anyone can do it if they work at it and do a little reading.

I have tried probably over 50 varieties in my area,and so far I have only had a couple that delivered on taste.Production is all well and good,but if they are bland tasting,they don't stay.I try to test varieties for 2 years,to give them a fair trial.

So far,of the 50,Cowlick and Purple Dog Creek were the standout standard types.The Cowlick didn't produce well but had great flavor,so I just grow a bunch of them.The PDC has great taste too and produced better than the Cowlick.Then I grew the Kosovo (and a couple of others)The Kosovo had great flavor and produces well,even in my climate.

I have hot humid temps here,and production suffers as a result.I also grow cherry types,and they produce all season long,although production does fall somewhat as the hot dry season continues.

I'll tell you what,my Black Krims were the prettiest toms in the garden.Perfectly round and blemish free.Really pretty.But they didn't produce well in my climate,and the flavor for me was lacking.

Lots of other folks really like them,just wish they did better here.

BrownThumb

Krim's are good, but Black Prince is great and yields if you grow them well. Trying some Japanese Trifele's this year (also really a Russian strain...not sure where the Japanese name came from ).

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
what im growing this year

japanese trifele, yellow brandywine, big beef, bella rosa, celebrity, better bush, lemon boy, black cherry, roma, patio, and isis candy

first to set fruit was celebrity, followed by black cherry.

slim pickens.... you and i should compare notes about this! we have similar climates

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i've got

early girl
celebrity
and
russian azoychka (last year i had one in my greenhouse and it became a monster !!! prolly 7 foot tall. had to tie it up everywhere.)

Slim Pickens

Veteran
slim pickens.... you and i should compare notes about this! we have similar climates

No prob.Anytime.

I start mine in Sept at the latest,as they need to go out as soon as the rainy season winds down in late Oct early Nov.From then until the 1st of March they do pretty well.It starts to get hot here in March,and it doesn't take long for fruit set to take a serious nosedive.

I also start my cherry types,because I depend on them after the standards have quit producing.

I grow Black Cherry and Tommy Toe.Both do quite well for me,although I prefer the Tommy Toe,the wife prefers the Black Cherry.

This next season (for '14) will likely include:

Hearts:

Kosovo
Russian 117
Anna Russian
Amerikanskiy Vytyanutyi
Reif Red Heart
Kosovo
Tsar-Kolokol
danko
Donskoi
Wes
cuore di bue
Mayos Delight

Standards:

Purple Dog Creek
Cowlick Brandywine
KBX
Jersey Devil (paste)
Seek No Further Love Apple

I may have to pare that list down just a tad...but to be honest,I can't imagine what I could cut..(and I will probably add to the list instead)..I gotta have them all. Lol

Nader

Veteran
got these goin'

bosque green cherry tomato
stump of the world
ambrosia red cherry tomato
sugar drop cherry tomato
japanese black trifle
fuzzy peach
jaune flamme

Drift13

I have never heard of some of the tomatoes listed by Slim Pickens & Nader. Google here we come.
My bucket garden is in full swing. German Johnson, Mortgage Lender, Big Rainbow, Black Krim, Black Prince, Jubilee, Cherokee Purple, Roma, Chocolate Cherry, Yellow Teardrop Cherry & Chadwick Cherry. All are from heirloom seed stock. I love my mater's.
I'm in growing zone 9a

T

The Sensi Rebel

Hey guys, hoping to post pictures soon when I get my camera.

I got roughly 30 + various seedlings I've started in Febuary indoors, so they are about 6-7 inches now, in a vegetative state, just near a big bay window in my house. I started them with a 150w HPS which the tomatoes LOVE.

Unlike my dope, I don't label my tomatoes haha. So I just wait for it to pan out when it flowers and fruits.

Used way too much N last year, a few overdosing plants so best believe I'll be more conservative this year

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They were selling whole plants, more like multiple plants interwined, incredible tomato plants at publix and we bought a bunch of them and planted them in some nice new topsoil. There's already tomatoes on the plants. The race now is to see how many we can get before the heat of the summer.

I urge everyone who love these delicious fruits to read the book

Tomatoland
by Barry Estabrook

Southwest Florida supplies much of the country with tomatoes. Please see where they are grown, who grows them, who profits from them and then if what you read bothers you, consider buying whatever is in season locally or grow your own. It's easy.

BrownThumb

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Tomato_Variety_List

Warning...this can be as addictive as our favorite herb.:biggrin:

Impressive, thank you for sharing!!!

I also like tomatobob or JL Hudson Seedsman. JL has quite an impressive list of offerings, though it's more for real serious horticulturalist types, rather than veggies, though they do have a nice selection of those, too. They also offer GA3, which is how I found them.

Tomatobob has lots of tom.'s, obviously, but lots of other stuff, too. It's worth a look if you're a serious tom freak.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Tomato_Variety_List

This a good informational database to begin (or end) with.All varieties are alphabetically listed,and most listings have seed availability (vendors) listed.

Warning...this can be as addictive as our favorite herb.:biggrin:

that's killer, thanks for the link.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.[/FONT]

i will hit you with +K tomorrow :tiphat: