What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

supermanlives

Veteran
most heirlooms dont make it to supermarkets.they preferr hybrids that they ripen during shipping with ethylene.heirlooms dont store as well. homegrown is best

F

Fastcast

most heirlooms dont make it to supermarkets.they preferr hybrids that they ripen during shipping with ethylene.heirlooms dont store as well. homegrown is best
You got that right!Trader Joes had some a couple of years ago,they came in a box with a couple different variety's.Pretty good for store bought.Now they raised the price and of course you get less.

supermanlives

Veteran
i can tell ya this . if my only experience was with store tomatos. i would hate them. tasteless garbage compared to heirloom maters

F

Fastcast

i can tell ya this . if my only experience was with store tomatos. i would hate them. tasteless garbage compared to heirloom maters

The one's I bought where heirloom from Trader Joes.Must have been at least 3 to 4 different kinds in there,it was like 3.5 #,orange,green,purple and yellow.Was very surprised how good they where!The one's they have now are real small.And oh by the way I do agree with you on them being Garbage.I can't wait for these Krim to be done!

supermanlives

Veteran
ya my local grocery has some heirlooms along with the local farmers market in the summer. wintertime your screwed ,hothouse crap tomatos.yuck. i like trader joes too

F

Fastcast

You should see the blooms on these Black krim,there fricken huge!!Man I sure love Tomato's!:jump:
I have found good one's at Cub foods in Minnesota,a few years back though,hybrid.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
We had a long, hard freeze this week - about 2 weeks early - so the season is over here. Unfortunately we also had 105F+ weather during the July fruit-setting phase, so the net result was a complete waste of a season. I managed to pull about 15 pounds of green fruit from my 8 plants, though, so I'll be windowsill-ripening into December. Congrats to those of you who had good years! :smoke:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
wow, some really nice pics in this thread. good job people...

my outdoor stuff was terrible this year due to extreme heat.

here's what i got now...

greenhouse:
picture.php

LED-DWC (has roots in the water 2 days after breaking thru the rockwool..., lower right) :dance:
picture.php

G

guest5703

Still got Tomatoes growing here in Sunny San Diego! Blight and PM have set in, but some plants are still ok and producing!

I started three White Ox hearts from seed this year, and finally am getting huge ripe yellow tomatoes! The taste isn't my favorite, but it isn't bad at all, the size is awesome!!! I weighed one and it was almost 1 pound, but my "preeecious" finally came down today and I don't have a scale that can weigh it! I'm sure it's a bit under 2 pounds!

Here's my "preeeecious"(lord of rings creeper voice haha) sitting next to a honey crisp(the best!) apple

picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we grow em in the toppsy turvey's... ie upside down.. 3rd year growing em and more impressed every year... no weedin/stakin.. just gotta water n fertilizer.. growin patio and large cherry ... once they start to produce fruit, we are giving em away.. we grew 4 plants, and were givin em away daily..

also grew peppers upside down ..seranos,habe's/etc... again very impressed

supermanlives

Veteran
i hated the topsy turvy. i had the stand for em and like 6 of em total. too small and required alot of watering. uv rays destroyed em quick too. my neighbor bought 12 of em. i guess if you grow tiny plants they might be ok .

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i would not grow beefsteaks/etc upside down, fruits are too heavy, but for smaller/medium size fruits i find em work real well...

however i grow em high off the ground... my buddy made me a stand.. 12ft long chainlink fence post, sunk 2 feet into the ground, an elbow at the top... another 12ft post across, elbow down, 12 foot back down.. drilled holes in the top post, inserted hooks, and the plants hang a good 8feet off the ground in full sun-... works well in my backyard...

Voidling

Started my tomatoes indoors in February, put them in the ground early. Did quite well until summer set in. Way too hot in the south this year. Fried everything eventually. Got two or three cherry tomato plants still going that I'd given away that were planted in more shade

F

Fastcast

Starting to get a lot more fruit sets on my Krim,and since the weather cooled down the purple colors are everywhere,very nice looking plant!It's great growing from seed instead of starts,much more variety.Good luck to everyone!

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
hey guys/gals, heres source of those blue tomato seeds i posted about earlier... definitely growing these next year. i got screwed over by mockingbirds this year w/ red tomatoes, and i think im going to grow all colored tomatoes next year. so far its 'indigo rose' and 'green zebra' anyone have any other recommendations?

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/13533/s

Nader

Veteran
hey guys/gals, heres source of those blue tomato seeds i posted about earlier... definitely growing these next year. i got screwed over by mockingbirds this year w/ red tomatoes, and i think im going to grow all colored tomatoes next year. so far its 'indigo rose' and 'green zebra' anyone have any other recommendations?

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/13533/s

I ordered some "Bosque Blue" seeds from J&L Gardens, very excited to try it!

I recommend these varieties to get a good and flavourful color combo:

Super Snow White
Purple Calabash
Cherokee Chocolate
Ildi
Gardener's Delight
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Cherokee Green
Black Prince
Sungold (I hate F1's, but orange is my favourite colour)
Stump of the World (because it's incredibly delicious; a Quisenberry classic)

BrownThumb

Solo tomato to kick off spring 2013. Redina lettuce. Erb Whuchoo got?

Attachments

• Veggies_032813 001.jpg
    Veggies_032813 001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Veggies_032813 017.jpg
    Veggies_032813 017.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Veggies_032813 006.jpg
    Veggies_032813 006.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 21
T

The Sensi Rebel

I have about 7 different kinds, in packs of 500 from Ball Seeds.

Also I buy cuttings wholesale from the greenhouse I work at, as well as start my own indoors. got about an acre to work with for veggies.

Latest posts

Latest posts