What's new

Tom Hill Haze

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
1660379530697.png

JohnnyChicago

How can "Haze B x Haze C" be quicker than "NL5 x Haze C"?
Is it the NL causing the longer flowering times? :D

But interesting quote... confirms the speed of HazeC.... Only I don't think I am after a hybrid, also not a BX.
#19 selected from 1 - 1000 by SamS and chosen for its commercial qualities by Wernard/Positronics who was providing shops with weed, seems the most credible version. But I take every option into consideration. :)

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I'm confused. If HzB was not a pure Haze but rather a hybrid, wouldn't that make all the other seeds from the same batch Haze hybrid's also?

......... is Nevil saying that the 69 Haze seeds were, in fact, Haze hybrids? :dunno:
Haze is a hybrid...
Now all repeats "haze is Colombian, it's Colombian!", but essentially haze is a hybrid of who knows what varieties ...
Also, no one knows what it really was what Sam gave Nevil ... .

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Haze is a hybrid...
Now all repeats "haze is Colombian, it's Colombian!", but essentially haze is a hybrid of who knows what varieties ...
Also, no one knows what it really was what Sam gave Nevil ... .
So are you saying that what Sam gave Nevil could have had afghani as the hyrid Nevil believed caused the shorter flowering time on the HzB?

Raho

Veteran
How can "Haze B x Haze C" be quicker than "NL5 x Haze C"?
Is it the NL causing the longer flowering times? :D

But interesting quote... confirms the speed of HazeC.... Only I don't think I am after a hybrid, also not a BX.
#19 selected from 1 - 1000 by SamS and chosen for its commercial qualities by Wernard/Positronics who was providing shops with weed, seems the most credible version. But I take every option into consideration. :)
Hey Johnny.
Sam has said when telling the story of his deal with Wernard/Posi that he sold them seeds and a cut.
He said that the Haze #19 cut was not anything he had selected specifically or recommended.
It was just a cutting in a tray of several that he offered Posi and they seemed to think it looked good and chose it.
They hadn't smoked it or seen it in flower. Basically a blind guess.

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
We always question what’s out of the norm . I also believe we still seek the truth after it’s found because excitement and mystery is more satisfying than the boring truth

Not quite true I had a pure OHaze I grew in Santa Cruz that was 10 weeks, Brian's Early Haze, it was my seeds and I gave Brian the plant he grew, I was there to see it grown, flowered and harvested and I smoked some, it was great.
-SamS

Nevil answered many of my questions in his time posting, but certain ones we’re not answered and others we never discussed. I thought to myself as well how was the HzC n HzA thought to be pure but seeds from the same year thought to be a hybrid.

I believe it comes down To large selection . Some have suggested Tom hill haze to be a hybrid because of its broader leaf compared to other original Hazes as well as flower time difference . Maybe it was selection and not because of Bld

I’m not sure what this week’s original Haze story is . But that 10 week B. Haze is from Santa Cruz original Haze = Colombian . Soo with this shorter flowering pheno present in a pure sativa it makes me think it’s possible within a large population opposites can be found short flower / smaller / broader leaf

1luvbigherb

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Well, if a hybrid ended up in the original mix (the famous three Colombians) it explains everything ...

The selection ......
When I was a little boy there was a story that the haze in Holland had wider leaves, thicker buds and a shorter flowering because it was selected to fit under the lamps .....
Like Durban Poison...
Then the truth came out, but it wasn't that romantic ....

Nexus7

Well B(ryan)'s early Haze was first mentioned in the Catalog of Seeds article appearing in high times. It's a completely different listing in that Seeds catalog to the OHz1-3 lines, New Years Haze and Burning Bush.

Mention of 10 week flowering time only came about when people were finding shorter flowering specimens in Todd's version of OHz ...

Also flowering time of B's early Haze is listed as November when outcrossed and we all know that they weren't really growing much indoors back then so how does this 10 week flowering time come about?

Also 10 weeks from 1st pistil is a lot different to 10 weeks from flip 😉

Piff_cat

I'm confused. If HzB was not a pure Haze but rather a hybrid, wouldn't that make all the other seeds from the same batch Haze hybrid's also?

......... is Nevil saying that the 69 Haze seeds were, in fact, Haze hybrids? :dunno:
i think nevil is using the word hybrid to describe the number of pure lines contained in his haze. so he is describing the segregation is he noticing, which gives him the theory that the seeds he has are made up of more then one pure line. which is pretty much what sam says as well right? question would be which pure lines, and where did they stop on the way from china/east asia to california.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

No Nevil said HzB and the HzO for omega was a Haze hybrid not the others.

Nevil bought 1000s of Haze seed made up of different batches of seed .

I bought a couple of thousand of old stock late 60s/ 70. The first batch that I planted produced one plant, a female. It was the slowest to flower I'd ever come across and flowered for longer. I got 3 different crops of seed of it and it had still not finished. It was huge and filled a quarter of the room, it had wispy buds and when you smoked it, other people complained about the smell. It didn't have much resin and after 9 months flowering, with no end in sight, I chopped it. It seem the most impractical plant I'd ever grown. I didn't keep a cutting.
N.

I planted the rest of the old seeds. One came out. O for Omega. It was a 1970 seed. I suspected that it was only 25% Haze with one parent being Indica. It too did not really pan out.
The males were the "goods". Without those two plants, I think that all would have been lost. If I'd only kept a cutting of the first female, whose genotype was closer to male A. I'm start to get that sad feeling again.
Ah well, you can be thankful that the seeds fell into my hands, otherwise you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.
N.

Piff_cat

We always question what’s out of the norm . I also believe we still seek the truth after it’s found because excitement and mystery is more satisfying than the boring truth

Not quite true I had a pure OHaze I grew in Santa Cruz that was 10 weeks, Brian's Early Haze, it was my seeds and I gave Brian the plant he grew, I was there to see it grown, flowered and harvested and I smoked some, it was great.
-SamS

Nevil answered many of my questions in his time posting, but certain ones we’re not answered and others we never discussed. I thought to myself as well how was the HzC n HzA thought to be pure but seeds from the same year thought to be a hybrid.

I believe it comes down To large selection . Some have suggested Tom hill haze to be a hybrid because of its broader leaf compared to other original Hazes as well as flower time difference . Maybe it was selection and not because of Bld

I’m not sure what this week’s original Haze story is . But that 10 week B. Haze is from Santa Cruz original Haze = Colombian . Soo with this shorter flowering pheno present in a pure sativa it makes me think it’s possible within a large population opposites can be found short flower / smaller / broader leaf

1luvbigherb
we ve got to look past indica and sativa to really figure it out. even though the exact origin space is contested, its been narrowed down to yunnan/east asia and xinijiang/north east iran for basal drug cannabis ie these lines are related to all drug lines. so really the questions go beyond the last location before importation and bring life history into the mix. for example the red colombian lines path appears to be orissa - south africa - colombia. the characteristics such as cannabinoid profile, terpenes and yes morphology are all molded by the wild progenitors. and then each new home either silences genes no longer needed if the enviorment is less dangerous, or adds to them if the new home has different challenges. fungi bacteria strains, herbivores, insect attack, heavy metals in soil, uv etc etc. haze has 5 thc seperate active thc synthases. 1 is the normal reference type. a second is closely related to all korean landraces and also alaskan ice. the other 3 have never been found in another strain. so there is alot still to learn