What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tom Hill Haze

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
1C1827C2-8D97-4B5C-9FEB-4277DC103DEF.jpeg

Small sample size…

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
My cash is no good so says the USPS. Whatev. Rinse and repeat.

Step 2: Your Package Is Currently In Transit​

been in transit for well over a week. I could have ridden my bike up to Tom and handed him two bills in the meantime, ninnies.

Green Highland

Either or based on the parent's profile, traits you like. IOW if you have a seedling that shows say.....10" internodes, why bother?

Potency is iffy as there is no guarantee that the progeny will have that trait, it's all speculation, a crap shoot. And if it isn't knock your socks off potent just take another hit or two to get where you want to go. Potency has and is now a marketing tool.

Here's an indoor grown male O. Haze I used as a pollinator back in 2001.

View attachment 18849608

Crazy but I did a lot of crosses with Haze back in the day with really good stock including the original C99 from Heaven's Stairway, Sag;s Peak 19 and others. One of these days I'll grow some of them.

Crossed this male Haze with a nice C99 lady.

View attachment 18849611

Speaking of Tom Hill - just harvested some of his Deep Chunk F2's aka Monkey Balls. It's still curing in my wine cellar. Pure indica it was.

UB
Isn’t deep chunk an IBL?

Old Uncle Ben

Isn’t deep chunk an IBL?

Yep, an old landrace, heirloom by Tom Hill. I bought seeds from Kwik Seeds and as luck would have it all turned out male. In fact, unlike sativas almost all of my pure indicas turned out male. Out of 13 seeds germed, only 2 turned out female.

This is a Spanish continuation of the original Tom Hill Deep Chunk, a renowned true-breeding Indica-type strain with roots in the Afghan Hindu Kush. The original landrace from which Deep Chunk was inbred is said to have been introduced to Northern California in the late 1970s. Crucially, it’s believed to have never been outcrossed. https://kwikseeds.com/product/deep-chunk-heirloom-strain-ibl-cannabis-seeds/

Here's a Tom Hill Deep Chunk male just beginning to show balls last January. Beautiful plants. Grew them in my custom soil mix, upcanned to a 2.5 gal. pot, mixed in a handful of Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus 15-9-12, 5-6 month into the last of the backfill. Osmocote has become my favorite food for cannabis, start to finish. For pennies, it excels. I have about 30 years experience with Os, buying it in 50# sacks.

Deep Chunk male Jan 17.jpg

Kwik Seeds Dec 2021#2.jpg

The Tom Hill Monkey Balls (I hate that name!) is a Deep Chunk F2. Trichomes are very short, barely visible but the plant is pure goo. Been curing since I harvested it May 21. Little 21" plant yielded 8.4 oz. of some fine, sticky bud. Bitch to manicure though!

For what should be excellent hybrid vigor in the progeny, I highly recommend you folks growing out Haze cross it with Deep Chunk. Yes, you'll be re-inventing the wheel, but if you have the time and desire you should get some amazing results. True-breeding for many traits, this is an archetypal Indica strain that’s earned a reputation as an excellent breeding plant. In an era when Cannabis genepools are becoming ever-increasingly homogenized through hybridization, pure inbred lines such as this should be in the collection of every serious grower and breeder.

Good luck,
Uncle Ben

Last edited:

Green Highland

My cash is no good so says the USPS. Whatev. Rinse and repeat.

Step 2: Your Package Is Currently In Transit​

been in transit for well over a week. I could have ridden my bike up to Tom and handed him two bills in the meantime, ninnies.
Yep, an old landrace, heirloom by Tom Hill. I bought seeds from Kwik Seeds and as luck would have it all turned out male. In fact, unlike sativas almost all of my pure indicas turned out male. Out of 13 seeds germed, only 2 turned out female.

This is a Spanish continuation of the original Tom Hill Deep Chunk, a renowned true-breeding Indica-type strain with roots in the Afghan Hindu Kush. The original landrace from which Deep Chunk was inbred is said to have been introduced to Northern California in the late 1970s. Crucially, it’s believed to have never been outcrossed. https://kwikseeds.com/product/deep-chunk-heirloom-strain-ibl-cannabis-seeds/

Here's a Tom Hill Deep Chunk male just beginning to show balls last January. Beautiful plants. Grew them in my custom soil mix, upcanned to a 2.5 gal. pot, mixed in a handful of Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus 15-9-12, 5-6 month into the last of the backfill. Osmocote has become my favorite food for cannabis, start to finish. For pennies, it excels. I have about 30 years experience with Os, buying it in 50# sacks.

View attachment 18849848

View attachment 18849855

The Tom Hill Monkey Balls (I hate that name!) is a Deep Chunk F2. Trichomes are very short, barely visible but the plant is pure goo. Been curing since I harvested it May 21. Little 21" plant yielded 8.4 oz. of some fine, sticky bud. Bitch to manicure though!

For what should be excellent hybrid vigor in the progeny, I highly recommend you folks growing out Haze cross it with Deep Chunk. Yes, you'll be re-inventing the wheel, but if you have the time and desire you should get some amazing results.

Good luck,
Uncle Ben
I’ve used KWIK a few times and I noticed they had the chunk. Definitely interested. I had purchased 100 of the mendo docs og direct from Tom and he threw in some X18, I believe KWIK was calling it cider kush, was looking at those and the deep chunk. I’ll probably pull the trigger on the chunk. I like the thought of crossing both of those with some haze as you mentioned. Hope you find some killer males to use.

Old Uncle Ben

I’ve used KWIK a few times and I noticed they had the chunk. Definitely interested. I had purchased 100 of the mendo docs og direct from Tom and he threw in some X18, I believe KWIK was calling it cider kush, was looking at those and the deep chunk. I’ll probably pull the trigger on the chunk. I like the thought of crossing both of those with some haze as you mentioned. Hope you find some killer males to use.

Good luck with that project. Should be a lot of fun! I tell ya another "wow" indica you should try if you can find it - Cannacopia's Lapis Mtn. indica. That one and the Monkey Balls was gifted to me, came straight from the source too. The Lapis is not your typical indica couch lock but a super fine, happy, laugh-your-ass off type high. Smell is obnoxious strong. I'm on week 8 after re-vegging it. Will be harvesting the nuggets today or so. Leaf colors are crazy. Pistils production has about come to a halt and are mostly brown lately.

Re-vegged, shot took a week ago. Same pot, painted with MicroKote for roots production, germed Nov. 12, 2022. I take care of mah leaves! :canabis: Osmocote and a tweek now and then with Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, 9-3-6. :)

LapisMtnReVegMay22.jpg

Uncle Ben

Green Highland

Good luck with that project. Should be a lot of fun! I tell ya another "wow" indica you should try if you can find it - Cannacopia's Lapis Mtn. indica. That one and the Monkey Balls was gifted to me, came straight from the source too. The Lapis is not your typical indica couch lock but a super fine, happy, laugh-your-ass off type high. Smell is obnoxious strong. I'm on week 8 after re-vegging it. Will be harvesting the nuggets today or so. Leaf colors are crazy. Pistils production has about come to a halt and are mostly brown lately.

Re-vegged, shot took a week ago. Same pot, painted with MicroKote for roots production, germed Nov. 12, 2022. I take care of mah leaves! :canabis: Osmocote and a tweek now and then with Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, 9-3-6. :)

View attachment 18849888

Uncle Ben
Nice, I’ll keep my eyes open for it. Cheers and thanks for recommendations

dramamine

Have you run any of the Mendo G's? I've got a few seedlings of those going now.

Old Uncle Ben

Nobody's Nursery

Tom Hills Haze f3
From crickets and cicadas
Day 23 of 11/13 light dep

The males showed right away and I've narrowed it down to 18 males from 282 seeds. All 18 males are showing resin and drug plants expressions. One of the males is showing some purple on the calyx the rest are all green.

Gonna flower out these 18 males longer for more observation and to potentially narrow it down to 10 or less final keeper males.

Still pretty early to comment but I will try and post more about the females in few weeks when they are expressing more.

Overall the canopy looks real solid. Not seeing any mutants or bullshit. No broadleaf phenos. So far so good. Pretty easy hunt considering Tom has been telling everyone what to look for all these years.

Screenshot_20230602-201718-324.png
Screenshot_20230602-202310-049.png

Old Uncle Ben

Tom Hills Haze f3
From crickets and cicadas
Day 23 of 11/13 light dep

The males showed right away and I've narrowed it down to 18 males from 282 seeds. All 18 males are showing resin and drug plants expressions. One of the males is showing some purple on the calyx the rest are all green.

Gonna flower out these 18 males longer for more observation and to potentially narrow it down to 10 or less final keeper males.

Still pretty early to comment but I will try and post more about the females in few weeks when they are expressing more.

Overall the canopy looks real solid. Not seeing any mutants or bullshit. No broadleaf phenos. So far so good. Pretty easy hunt considering Tom has been telling everyone what to look for all these years.

View attachment 18849948 View attachment 18849949

Plants look green and healthy. Pure sativa pheno. That's quite an endeavor.

Like you, "back in the day", I was on a mission regarding Haze, breeding, etc. Hope ya'll find this old email helpful:

SEPTEMBER 13, 2000

High Uncle Ben,

My name is Sjoerd , I am one of the growers/ gene finders for the Flying

dutchmen seed co. In answer to your Haze queries: The Haze that we posses is

the original cross between the 4 sativa types you mentioned. It is however

not from Wernard, but from a guy known as Sam the Skunkman Sam the miracle

man etc. He created and patented the Skunk #1, the original hazes and also

introduced many other fine varieties to Holland in the early 80's. The

advantage we had was the hectares of greenhouses we had to select good

parents, and the patience to test the combining abilities between many of

the already selected parent plants. Since the Haze genetics came to holland

it was not inbred extensively so I can't tell you in which generation

they are in you would be better to ask rc. As for attributes the Haze we

have is the green haze. It was selected specifically for breeding purposes

that is to say don't expect 20% t.h.c until after you create your own F1

hybrid. from what I know Haze reacts better when you hybridise them than

when you inbreed them, It brings out the best in them.

Given the choice I would cross the haze with our Afghan Skunk or with the

Pot of Gold, it's more work as these are F1 plants already but if you know

what to look for you will get very interesting results. always choose a

minimum of 5 parents of each sex and try all the combinations to pinpoint

the best combining abilities. The Thaitanic is an interesting choice and one

in five do show a small number of male flowers late in flowering, mabey more

in the next generation, careful selection and some gentle light stress on

cuttings will give you an idea of how hermy they might be. the photoperiod

could start on 13/11 then to 11/13. or 12/12 from the start. If you want to

breed then an immediate short day would speed the plants up alot plus they

get mighty large if you veg them more than a couple of weeks. please write

back if you have any questions i will be happy to help.

Sjoerd

> Hello, my name is Uncle Ben. I post to (and used to moderate) cann.com and

> having been around cannabis forums for a long time. I've been putting in a

> plug for you here and there after talking to Gypsy, RC, and my email buddies

> about your quality reputation, background (Positronics/Wernard support) and

> strains. Hope you will take some time to answer a few questions for me.

>

> I have an interest in your Original Haze, for small time breeding purposes.

> Stock sold through Heaven's Stairway. I talked to Richard who wrote me from

> the Dam recently, and apparently visited with you folks at the time. After

> answering a few questions RC suggested I email you for additional info.

>

> I am a seasoned grower and don't have a problem managing sativas. What I'm

> looking for is a strain that will impart an excellent potency phenotype to its

> progeny, for a personal smoke for me and my wife principally. I have the

> genetics for yields, so yield is not that important; potency is. I have

> quite a few Dutch strains and the potency is not all that impressive compared

> to some of the old Colombia and Mexican sativas I have grown out.

> Questions....

>

> 1. Is the strain you sell the original strain that Wernard got from whomever

> that was bred by the Haze brothers from the Oakland Bay area? Is it THE pure

> unadulterated haze hybrid consisting of Col. Gold X Acapulco Gold X Thai X S.

> Indian?

>

> 2. Have you backcrossed this strain into a F10 (wherever it's at), to try to

> get certain attributes? What are the dominant characteristics/phenotype

> please? What is good, and what should one watch for?

>

> 3. What is the best photoperiod to use with The Original Haze considering

> almost all of the parentage is from an equatorial region? I was planning to

> go 24/0 for veg, drop to 11/13 by harvest.

>

> 4. What in your repertoire would you recommend for crossing Haze to, to bring

> down the harvest time a little while maintaining a very potent sativa

> influence. How about the Thai Tanic, or is this strain prone to hermies due

> to the paradigm that Thai tends to impart this trait?

>

> Thanks so much for the advice, and keep up the good work!

>

> Much respect,

> Uncle Ben

Enjoy,
Uncle Ben

Attachments

• HazePackPic.jpg
    HazePackPic.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts