What's new

To Legalize Cannabis Or Not To?

To Legalize Cannabis Or Not To?

• Total voters

usda101

Wow.. I bet you dont even grow that good of shit, otherwise you wouldn't be worried about legalization from a profit standpoint.

Everyone worried about it from profit standpoint just doesn't grow well enough. If you grow good shit, it will sell.

Look at fine scotches, tequilas, even coffees and teas.

If you dont take the time to do what you're doing, to do it right, you shouldn't be doing it.
Everyone is not a pro like u FROZ. an i can get 4800 off some poorly grown MJ an i still aint with that legal shit .If this goes legal a lot of states are going to fall into there own depression. there a victim of there own success... an its hard not to pass a bill, when you have the votes to pass it .The legalization movement is doing its job advocating for growers an care givers ,an there inlies the problem ...There success conflicts with the survival of whole economys .I dont want to see anyone incarcerated for minor weed infractions an beleive in pateints rights an caregivers an think the laws shud be modifide as such.. but we must realize a certain level of corruption is inevitable this is the nature of things... politians an cops are the worst bottom feeders ever.Why let the goverment run shop when you can run your own ,DONT LEGALIZE!!!

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to subrob again. :D

and for the record...subrob ain't no bitch! You can put that in my official statement!

RESINvention

*heated post, watch out*

Im not sure who would vote no and be logged into this site......If you voted no you are either making a bunch of money pimping ganja out like a whore in california or some closed minded troll..either way to actually vote no in my opinion is of selfish character. I vote it should be fucking legal everywhere. The only ones who dont think so have interest in controling the minds of the masses for thier own personal gain.

:yeahthats

IF YOU VOTED NO FOR LEGALIZATION, I PRAY YOU BE ARRESTED AND IMPRISONED IMMEDIATELY YOU IDIOT.

It's also funny how almost all the ones who say no, are the selfish greed mongers who think they own the state of California and can regulate who comes and goes.. what a joke. What's even more funny is these amateurs don't even know how to grow MEDICINE, but they sure as hell can grow some hyphe chemed up clones that hurt more people than they help.. of course all at your expense and for a profit..

This is exactly along the line of the "NO" voter's thinking... "Lets not flush my buds because the chemicals will make my bud weigh more!.. That means more money for me!"

You must be too fucking stupid to think of another way to make money.. You also must be too fucking stupid to vote NO for legalization.. I hope you find your home in prison. No joke. Maybe then you will change your illogical thought process.

& one more note... those that say NO will be the first ones out of the 'business' for the simple fact that they lack any real intelligence! Money breaths from opportunity and you kids are too stupid and greedy to open your eyes and figure out a new way of soliciting income. Makes me wanna puke how ignorant and dumb some of you can be.

vta

Veteran
Sounds like a great strain. What's your point again?

It's in my sig if you need the evidence.

Don't be a douchebag.

The proof is right down there....

(current average per plant is 7.8 grams.)

My point..what is good for you may not be right for everyone else. You go off how a micro grow is good enough. Well its not for some...that's all I have to say, and I am done. I never intended this to become an argument and to the point of name calling. Have a great day:thank you:

619Sativa

IF YOU VOTED NO FOR LEGALIZATION, I PRAY YOU BE ARRESTED AND IMPRISONED IMMEDIATELY YOU IDIOT.
I'm a medical patient and I voted no. I like the system fine the way it is. I grow a small number of plants for personal use, so don't try accusing me of trying to make a profit. The medical system is better than the bill would be, and ANYBODY can get a card. It's kind of a joke, but what ever. Keep the government off of my weed.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
My point..what is good for you may not be right for everyone else.

Your point was already answered. You said you needed 21 grams a week. I said that my way, with only 2 sq ft of flowering space was more than capable of providing your 21 grams a week.

I also said (at the same time) that anyone who wanted to go bigger could STILL break the law and go bigger.

I ALSO said (at the same time) that with proposed legislation, ANYBODY could legally grow up to about 9x as much as I am growing. (Not to mention that you could flower it all under much more than the 252w I am using and let it grow taller than my 23" height restriction.)

5x5 while not being ideal is easily adequate to supply all but the most voracious of smokers for personal use.

You go off how a micro grow is good enough.
Didn't say that. What I *DID* say is that I am capable of growing almost an OUNCE PER WEEK in 2 square feet. And then I'm saying, this law, if passed, would let you grow more than 10 times that amount. And THEN I'm saying, if you still want to break the law (as you must obviously be doing now) that nobody here is going to try to stop you from breaking that law and growing more than 25 sq ft.

Well its not for some...that's all I have to say, and I am done. I never intended this to become an argument and to the point of name calling.
Well, next tiime you don't want to start an argument that escalates to name calling, don't call someone a liar and then use this:
:jerkit:

Because some of us think that when you call someone out for something and call them a jerk-off with your emoticon, that you're asking to be called a douchebag.

Have a great day:thank you:
You too, good buddy.:shooty:

RESINvention

I'm a medical patient and I voted no. I like the system fine the way it is. I grow a small number of plants for personal use, so don't try accusing me of trying to make a profit. The medical system is better than the bill would be, and ANYBODY can get a card. It's kind of a joke, but what ever. Keep the government off of my weed.

What are you, the government? You want this herb that was grown in the grass to be locked up and hoarded for your selfish gains? I'll accuse you of being an idiot or uneducated; you will still have your medicine if it goes legal, in fact you will be more safe from prosecution than before! You are hurting the cannabis community by saying NO to legalize.. Please, dear genius, inform me how you are helping the community by keeping MJ illegal.. You are suppressing humanity and the evolution of marijuana..

Frozenguy

Veteran
What are you, the government? You want this herb that was grown in the grass to be locked up and hoarded for your selfish gains? I'll accuse you of being an idiot or uneducated; you will still have your medicine if it goes legal, in fact you will be more safe from prosecution than before! You are hurting the cannabis community by saying NO to legalize.. Please, dear genius, inform me how you are helping the community by keeping MJ illegal.. You are suppressing humanity and the evolution of marijuana..

You need to cool down. You make a lot of accusations in your posts here.

There ARE problems with this legislation. You cant smoke weed off your property, but you can smoke cigarettes (which give you cancer).

Richard Lee has set it up so county officials decide to allow sales or not, the people dont have a direct say. He knows this will center majority of sales in Oakland (his "Oaksterdam").

Plus, legal wouldn't mean legal for everyone. Only those 21 years and older.

Also, it mentions sentences of like 6months, 2,3,5,7 years imprisonment for people under 21 that furnish weed to minors or other people under 21. Thats some serious time for non violent cannabis users that are 18, 19, 20 years old. Are you ready to go that route?

I would like to walk down the street and smoke a joint. Or smoke a joint in my car before going to class (after parking my car of course).

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I would like to walk down the street and smoke a joint. Or smoke a joint in my car before going to class (after parking my car of course).

Me too... but look at what kind of uproar ensued when they tried to pass health care. This is an even touchier subject for the US to digest.

Baby steps forward beat steps backward.

And in a world of legal herb, how likely are you to get "busted" for smoking in your car before class? Most cops won't bother. The ones who DO bother can only do what... give you a toking ticket? And you can keep that ounce you have in your pocket? Beats jail.

Frozenguy

Veteran
Me too... but look at what kind of uproar ensued when they tried to pass health care. This is an even touchier subject for the US to digest.

Baby steps forward beat steps backward.

And in a world of legal herb, how likely are you to get "busted" for smoking in your car before class? Most cops won't bother. The ones who DO bother can only do what... give you a toking ticket? And you can keep that ounce you have in your pocket? Beats jail.

Um
No it is not. Health care was supported by the minority. And its added to the potential of a revolution.

Cannabis legalization is supported by the majority of California, and is not something to cause a revolution because it only expands our rights.

Regardless, I'm probably voting for it, because I doubt anyone else will pour as much money into as Richard Lee, and it is open to amendment, and it does protect current medicinal laws.

I haven't voted in the poll

I don't have a dog in this fight...I'm older, retired, a relative neophyte mmj "patient" (9 months), seeking that mellow feeling, while I develop my "killer" political blog

may soon grow my own just to save some money, although my time is much better spent doing what I love, and am very good at...it's true, find what you love to do and you will never have to work a day in your life. it took me a long time to get here, hopefully not too long....if growing is something you love to do, you are likely very good at it, and I would encourage you to go for it...money, beyond providing for necessities, and a certain level of comfort, is not part of the happiness equation

I do understand both sides of the issue

Can't foresee the state legalizing marijuana without treating it just like alcohol; heavily taxed and regulated, allowing you to brew your own for consumption, but not for selling. that's for the big guys that pay 6 figures for a license to sell

prices should drop like a rock ...instead of breweries, there will be marijuana factories attached to the ends of giant greenhouses..packs/packets will be fully identified, sealed, age-dated, tax-stamped, with an ingredient percentages label on the side

quality will still command premium prices

I'm certain they will make an allowance for smaller private growers to form co-ops, to sell their product into the market.

try not to flame me..I'm in the middle of the road

619Sativa

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for decriminalizing it, and legalizing it the right way, but I don't think I should have to settle for something half assed just because "we're moving in the right direction". If a bill was proposed that didn't involve government regulation or taxes, didn't involve age limits or growing limits or limits on possession, I would be all for it. How can you call something legal when there are still so many restrictions? I say vote this bill down, and force whoever proposes legalization to do it the right by not supporting them until they do. And it is also stupid to call people names because they don't think this bill is so great.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
First off, I think the bill is very reasonable. You can grow as much as you can in a 5x5 area for personal consumption, and if you want to grow commercially anyone over 21 who buys a license is able to do that at home or in a rented facility. However, there are future issues that should be thought of in advance in order to best protect the cannabis community as a whole.

85% of the vegetables, fruits, grains and seeds used by US farmers are genetically modified seeds - which means the corporations have intellectual property rights to them. They will not let Farmers REPLANT seeds from their crops. THEY CAN GET SUED! How messed up is that for future self sustainability? How can you make farmers throw away their seeds and instead have to buy more seeds from the corporations at full price each season? Imagine a company owning the rights to "Sour Diesel" and choosing who could breed or make clones with it or not - while being able to sue people who do it anyway.

As soon as any company makes a modification to the genetics, it becomes their intellectual property - which means it can be patented at that point. It is completely possible to happen to the cannabis community, we should at least write laws against it within the legalization process, if possible. Also in the 1930s-1970s there were many small farm growers of corn and other crops. It was laws passed by the corporate lobbying and misleading media campaigns that allowed them to be monopolized, forcing many smaller farmers to follow bigger corporate procedures or risk going under and being bought out by a much larger corporation. Just like in 1996 the telecommunication act allowed all the top radio companies to put a station in every town and easily knock the competitors out of business. The number of individually owned radio station companies went from 800+ to 6-8 corporations. And we wonder why the music has turned into mostly image and profit rather than supporting and nurturing the arts or breaking out of the box. The radio stations also play the same song over and over on the majority of the non college based stations. I would pose its so they can get people hooked on new material, get them to buy it, and then overplay it in order to get people sick of it so they can push their next band or release on them in shorter, more profitable cycles.

I'm just trying to point out how important it is to protect against these threats to the purity and initial vision of the cannabis community and its medical benefits. We should set out to prevent laws that nurture monopolization that in the future could take away the ability for smaller farmers to compete in the market, severely limit access to genetics - putting it out of the peoples hands. We must always be on the offensive in making sure the laws protect the long-term sustainability of small farmers and breeders. Because it shouldn't all be about profit, and people will be sacrificing the artificial margin of profit they currently get to go legal, we don't want to cut those people out, just like others who are trying to get into the field. Small businesses in the cannabis field are an - the right to a wage that can sustain a basic living wage. Basically People > hegemonic monopolized Profit, especially from patenting genetics. Laws that initially work to the favor of small businesses in the cannabis community should be setup rather than those that make growers compete and exploit themselves for a corporation to get labor. If the cannabis community ever finds itself on the defensive - it may be a much worse position than proactively going about preventing it in the first place.

I would recommend watching the video "food inc" by the maker of Fast Food Nation. The corporations bullied those who didn't use their genetically modified seeds - and then cut, those who stood strong out of the loop from the main companies who make seeds. They discuss Monsanto, patented seeds, and many others issues. BTW I'm not some vegan/vegetarian activist or anything. I just think it's an important connection between this and cannabis, and we should be prepared. Watch Food Inc online @ http://www.cinemahaven.com/2009/11/18/food-inc/

Basically we should make sure that we are able to freely grow, breed, and trade genetics to allow the future possibilities of cannabis to avoid any limitations in its greatness - by acts of bureaucratically systematic greed. What else do you expect by a constant need for corporations to maximize its short term, not long term, profits for shareholders. Rather than serving the people in need of cannabis, and the social and medical roots that nurtured its vision.

The cannabis community strives on the openness and caring nature of its origins. Such as giving and trading clones that people feel would be most helpful to others, while encouraging breeding of fine tuned strains to target specific conditions. Where the genetic origin and breeders used in the crosses are made public - whats the harm. Especially if it allows people to merge strains they feel would work great for them.

Do we want cannabis to be a genetic frontier of corporate battles attempting to buy out patents to every strain we know and sue people who are not authorized to breed with it? I hope not. This would severely limit the vast possibilities of future breeding project's - and remove the amazing creativity and thought many breeders have put into their breakthroughs.

Bi0hazard

the courts just ruled that genes are created by a natural process and can't be patented; that is in the case of a company (Myriad?) that identified a breast cancer hereditary gene, patented it,, and developed a somewhat expensive ($3200) proprietary test, to identify the gene in families.

call me a doubting Thomas that cannabis strains will ever become proprietary

Ruling could make gene patents a thing of the past
http://bit.ly/9g0IZA

Bi0hazard

Veteran
SeniorBuzz,

Well that's really good to see. Will this ruling influence or lead to overturns in much of the genetic patenting in the food industry as well. Or do they get grandfathered out of having to drop their patents?

SeniorBuzz,

Well that's really good to see. Will these overturn much of the genetic patenting in the food industry as well. Or do they get grandfathered out of having to drop their patents?

BIO, don't have those answers; probably depends on what their patents entail; if there was gene-splicing involved, perhaps it could be they would be granted proprietary rights for a given period of time.

farmers buy seeds because they are in the business of farming, not seed production, plus it allows them to have crop consistency, and combat known pests, and plant diseases, through the bio-engineering that preceded the seeds.

has anyone listed the reasons that the State of California would want to legalize marijuana? saying it's something the people want doesn't really mean anything.

tax revenue, not necessarily #1
a way to control the myriad of growers attracted by the $$$$
take the load off of, and lowering the cost of, law enforcement
unloading the overcrowded CA prison system (42,000 felons are being released due to overcrowding)
stem the tide of Mexican cartels growing, and selling, in CA
gaining control would be #1

Marijuana reform stirs the pot
Posted on Apr 07, 2010 by Phil Nobile in Opinion, World Issues

As of Thursday last week, it was announced that in California, the “Regulate, Control, and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010” would be featured on the November ballot. For the first time, weed may become another item at the drug store.

To quote Mark Binelli’s Rolling Stone write-up entitled “Marijuanamerica,” “Now, as the economy has cratered and millions of Americans have found themselves forced to rethink their livelihoods, there’s a growing feeling that the country can no longer afford its longstanding prohibition on marijuana — a sense, for the first time since the ‘70s, that pot could soon be decriminalized in many states, or even made fully legal.”

More and more people are beginning to realize the enormity of the announcement last Thursday. Baby steps have been taken over the past 30 years like Proposition 215 in California that has allowed possession and cultivation of medical marijuana and other smaller movements. But these steps have almost been destroyed, with the Los Angeles Council recently shutting down hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries and pot clubs. It seems that every action toward marijuana reform has been met with an equal and opposing reaction.

There are high hopes, however, that this will not be the case come November.
To give a bit more detail on the act proposed, it would allow individuals 21 years and older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use. The local government is permitted to regulate and tax commercial production, which, when taking into account California’s faltering economy and the estimation of marijuana taxes bringing in over $15 billion in illegal revenue, is a very important factor.

The bill points out various and important facts about marijuana: cannabis has fewer and less harmful recorded effects than alcohol and cigarettes (both of which are legally sold to adults) the criminal aspect of the product causes an unnecessary underground drug market that could be destroyed with the passing of the law, and other persuading factors.

But is this the right direction? Is America ready for marijuana reform? Thinking about it, I’d say the benefits outweigh any possible consequences.

Without a doubt in my mind, it is easier to obtain marijuana than alcohol, and a lot of people will attest to this as well. This is because an illegal and apparent drug like marijuana, both cheap and easy to find, is everywhere. I wouldn’t need a 21-year-old with a car and willingness to buy for minors, or a $150 fake ID to buy as much weed as I could get my hands on. So to those worried about it all of a sudden being found in everyone’s hands, they should instead understand that if anything, it will be harder for minors to obtain. It will become an adult item foremost, not an item that can be flipped between hands in high school hallways.

Reform has the capability that almost anyone can agree is a positive: destroying crime. Drug cartels and the illegal drug market of marijuana, along with the arrests and murders that go with it, will cease to exist. What it will be replaced with is profit. That $15 billion figure stated previously doesn’t include the savings that will come from removing marijuana from the “war on drugs.”

Not only does marijuana as the prominent modern American cash crop save money, it will also save jobs. The possibilities of new companies, corporations and jobs in every department from labor to advertisement are endless. With an entire new market comes new workers, and a completely new future for California.

There are benefits to marijuana reform. The potential benefits far outweigh the risks, and hopefully in November, others will realize this too.

http://www.quchronicle.com/2010/04/marijuana-reform-stirs-the-pot/