What's new

Tikal

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looks indeed familiar Mountain Kush,

It's most probably a very similar pheno of slower flowering onset, like the long flowering one you grew before.
Probably an ealier topping would have produced more branches. Good luck with her!

Mountainkush

Looks indeed familiar Mountain Kush,

It's most probably a very similar pheno of slower flowering onset, like the long flowering one you grew before.
Probably an ealier topping would have produced more branches. Good luck with her!

Thanks Dubi
Your right, it definitely would have but I don’t have the room this round. She branches out great on her own too. I had to remove most of them just leaving the top 16 inches of the 4 main colas.
I probably removed at least 12 branches that made it to the top.

SacredFlower

Excellent Mountainkush ;)

So happy to hear you rate your Tikal as some of the best weeds you have had the chance to experience, means a lot! :dance013:

Despite Tikal is an ACE Seeds classic available since our first seed catalogue in 2004, many growers have underestimated the quality and potential of this sativa hybrid.
So i will say it clear and loud again: If you are sativa lover you must a give a try to this strain! :)

You are right, the peach pheno translates much better the peach terpene profile from the aroma to the taste, but it's much more difficult to find a strawberry scented Tikal that has an unmistakable strawberry taste. I think we will need to go through bigger populations of the strawberry scented pheno to find that special plant/s that really keep the strawberry taste.

I've been talking lately with Tikal's breeder (Komanche) about the past, current and future status of Tikal. Komanche has finally written the whole family tree of the strain from the original outcross: Guatemala x NL/Haze, to the next Guatemala backcross (Guatemala x (Guatemala x NL/Haze)) and then all the family branches (regular and feminized) from F2 until F6 generations that produced all the different Tikal versions: old taller F2 Haze/Thai like phenos, the amazing incensey Tikal fem version from 2008 that was very tall and long flowering but had the most intense and refined incensey terpenes in this line and an outsatnding sativa effect (similar to A5 but much more happy and uplifting in psychoactivity), then the more modern, compact, fast flowering and indoor friendly Tikal versions like strawberry Tikal, peach Tikal, etc ....

Every 5 years or so we work again in depth our classic strains to bring them one step further, and the time for revisiting Tikal in depth is coming soon (this year or upcoming) and we plan to germinate all the older Tikal seed lines we have to capture and improve every pheno, and who knows .... maybe even find new interesting things, this line never ceases to amaze us with discoveries of new interesting phenotypes.
Wow thanks for the incredible insight dubi! I would LOVE you guys to isolate that strawberry pheno in a long flowering/sativa format (80/20 maybe?). Cheers!

Mountainkush

I finally had some time to deal with my Tikal that got buried and kinda neglected in the back corner of my little jungle.

Looking back at pictures I think things went wrong around week 6 when she got over fed trying to feed hungrier plants and got too much nitrogen maybe and I wasn’t able to feed her individually from a separate tank.

Lights have been on 11/13 from the beginning of flower

Here she was at 8 weeks kinda confused on what to do
picture.php

And her at 9 weeks revegging Or something else
picture.php

picture.php

Growth lower down still seemed to be normal so I cut all the weird growth off the tops to see what she’ll do but will probably toss her soon.

Saved a clone and may try again with some other less hungry sativas because I love the peach smell coming from her. I’m pretty sure I caused it so I Should be able do it properly next time.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi MountainKush,

The Tikal became quite messy indeed. Did you feed her strongly with nitrogen before start doing this ?

Mountainkush

Hi MountainKush,

The Tikal became quite messy indeed. Did you feed her strongly with nitrogen before start doing this ?

Hey Dubi
A little more nitrogen but nothing crazy.
I have been growing in coco with a simple 2 part nutrient and was lowering the part with nitrogen, calcium, and all micros as the plants stopped stretching when a couple plants got unhappy. So I raised it back up and made everybody happy but the Tikal and I didn’t have the time to give her special treatment and by the time I did it was too late anyway.
I had thought to try her clone with what I assume to be lighter feeders like panama haze and purple zamal x Panama?

OZZ_

Veteran
I finally had some time to deal with my Tikal that got buried and kinda neglected in the back corner of my little jungle.

Looking back at pictures I think things went wrong around week 6 when she got over fed trying to feed hungrier plants and got too much nitrogen maybe and I wasn’t able to feed her individually from a separate tank.

Lights have been on 11/13 from the beginning of flower

Here she was at 8 weeks kinda confused on what to do
View Image

And her at 9 weeks revegging Or something else
View Image

View Image

Growth lower down still seemed to be normal so I cut all the weird growth off the tops to see what she’ll do but will probably toss her soon.

Saved a clone and may try again with some other less hungry sativas because I love the peach smell coming from her. I’m pretty sure I caused it so I Should be able do it properly next time.

Bummer! Sorry to hear that MK, where there’s a will there’s a way, good thing you still have the clone ;)

Mountainkush

Bummer! Sorry to hear that MK, where there’s a will there’s a way, good thing you still have the clone ;)

Thanks OZZ
It’s sad but not a big deal. It was in a very crowded tent with 11 others and I knew not all would do the best. Definitely cutting down how many I do at a time going forward to avoid things like this.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Mountainkush,

That Tikal had a very wild sativa behaviour in your environment, such more untamed phenos are quite rate to find nowadays in latest Tikal generations but still can be found in the Old Hazy pheno line listed in Tikal's Breeders Pack (currently sold out/discontinued). Glad you took clones of the plant to give her another try, her effects could be worth exploring.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Now I wonder if I could get something close if I was to cross my Purple Pakistani Haze with Guatemala. I guess there could be some phenotypes worth exploring in that cross. Guatemala seeds have been sitting for 3 years in the fridge, maybe I should bring them to P4 under open-pollination sooner or later... Feel like I need to expand the mother room... I never made seeds though but I kinda want too.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Certainly yes Benoit, any hybrid with Oldtimer's Haze can always produce really wild sativa expressions. Purple Pakistani Haze is already a quite dominant OTH hybrid.

Mountainkush

Hi Mountainkush,

That Tikal had a very wild sativa behaviour in your environment, such more untamed phenos are quite rate to find nowadays in latest Tikal generations but still can be found in the Old Hazy pheno line listed in Tikal's Breeders Pack (currently sold out/discontinued). Glad you took clones of the plant to give her another try, her effects could be worth exploring.

Hey Dubi
Guess I got a special pack or something. Maybe my third seed will be more compact in size.
Giving this one another go now. I can’t believe how much the stems snell like peach candy. Very sensitive to nitrogen so she’s on her own feed tank with a Guawi I’m growing with her that doesn’t like much food either.
picture.php

First day in flower tent
picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey Dubi
Guess I got a special pack or something. Maybe my third seed will be more compact in size.
Giving this one another go now. I can’t believe how much the stems snell like peach candy. Very sensitive to nitrogen so she’s on her own feed tank with a Guawi I’m growing with her that doesn’t like much food either.
View Image
First day in flower tent
View Image

Looking great! I’ll be watching these closely, that peach candy scent sounds lovely!

Mountainkush

Thanks OZZ, it really does smell delicious. Makes me wonder what the flowers will smell like. The first plant had a eucalyptus kinda smell if I’m remembering right but the flowers smelled like eating real strawberries out in a field while growing and then changed to something else entirely.

Mountainkush

11/13 lighting for 3 weeks and not much happening yet other than some preflowers. I’m thinking about going down to 10.5/13.5 or 10/14 to see what happens.

picture.php

I’ll probably give her a few more days and see how it looks then. The other 5 strains from seed including a panama haze in with her have all gone right into flowering.

picture.php

Mountainkush

Small update on my Tikal now at 5 weeks in my flower tent. I’ve raised the feed a bit trying to keep her happy without over doing it. Can’t believe how sensitive this plant is. I just hope it’s worth it in the end.

After 4 weeks 11/13 and a week 10:45/13:15 she finally started to flower. I should mention this a clone, not a seed plant.
This top pic shows the most accurate colour. These are under 3000k leds
picture.php

picture.php

Still a little pale for my liking but I’m scared to push her too hard
picture.php

One of my favorite Ace strains. I had a couple a few years ago one female and a male. The female took a long time to finish. Around 14 or 15 weeks. Took forever to finish almost gave up and harvested early, but glad I didn’t. It was peachy, but didn’t smell that way till last few weeks. Smelled really bad for awhile, like rotten meat, kinda made me want to get rid of it. The finished bud was definitely a Central America sativa. Great taste and buzz. Friends loved it and always asked for over other modern strains. Mine looked a lot like your pics. Had light green, pale looking green, seems normal. The male I had was a different beast all together. It grew into a 15’ tall monster with huge fan leaves. Probably the other genetics in it. I think it has kush genes in it. I would love to grow again but it is a long flowering equatorial and can get real big. Just keep growing it you will be happy. Mine took awhile to get filled out buds also.

11/13 on the light times. Don’t drop it to soon. 10/14 in the last few weeks only. It is an equatorial so patients is all I can suggest.
Pale green seems normal for this strain, don’t over do with fertilizer. May need nitrogen later to keep it going as it is a long runner.