What's new

Tikal

Mountainkush

I have a Tikal going indoors and everything else in my garden has been flowering for over 5 weeks except for the Tikal. Is there anybody else with this experience? Should I put it in total darkness to trigger it? Any tricks I should know?

I had a similar experience. Mine just stretched for the first 5 weeks or so. If you look back at post #471 I have a pic of mine at 5.5 weeks. I put my lights down to 11.5/12.5 after 3 weeks of barely a preflower to help things along. Seemed to help. Mine took a total of 16 weeks in my flower tent. Total worth the wait for such amazing smoke.

Last edited:

midwestkid

Veteran
I was reading on another thread and I think the plant just isn't mature yet. I'm rushing it and I need to just relax and enjoy the ride. I may back my lights to 11/13 as well. They are in 5 gallons as well so it might be a long wait. Still excited just adjusting my patience

BenoitV1984

Veteran
So any idea when Tikal would start flowering at 50N?

Snow Moon and Malawi PCK have been flowering for a couple weeks but Tikal isn’t throwing any pistils beside the two preflowers at the nodes...

Looks like I will have to build a greenhouse above it. Good thing I still have like 20sm of greenhouse plastic around...

G

So any idea when Tikal would start flowering at 50N?

Snow Moon and Malawi PCK have been flowering for a couple weeks but Tikal isn’t throwing any pistils beside the two preflowers at the nodes...

Looks like I will have to build a greenhouse above it. Good thing I still have like 20sm of greenhouse plastic around...

Not OD experience with Tikal ,but in the tent it took 2 weeks 11/13 to start flowering and 13 weeks total.So yes,a greenhouse would be preferrable at 50 N... :tiphat:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
That's my experience with indoor as well although my pheno finished a bit faster... Feel like I won't be harvesting that one before November, I hope I won't be harvesting rotten flowers :(

midwestkid

Veteran
Mine is flowering now but I can tell it's in no hurry. Today I rubbed some floral clusters and smelled the strawberry that I had read about. Now I'm excited again. What a treat to have a long flowering sativa that smells so sweet. It's pretty wild

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi midwestkid,

Sounds like your Tikal was not enough sexually mature to show a fast flowering reaction after switch her to flowering photoperiod.
Tikal is a sativa dominant strain so it does not start the flowering so fast like more common skunk or kush indica genetics.

Glad she is already emanating strawberry aromas, the strawberry smelling phenos are a joy to smoke, makes everything brighter and happier.
It will be a pleasure to follow her flowering development with pics if you have the chance. All the best

midwestkid

Veteran
Dubi, I totally agree. I don't think she was mature yet. She's going now. I'd say I'm about halfway through flower maybe? I don't keep a calendar on my plants.
The smell I'm getting is what I would call Flintstone vitamins. A smell I remember from my childhood. Abusing the Flintstone vitamins because that was the closest thing to candy I could find...

I haven't ever posted a picture on here as I'm from a very "weed unfriendly state" and I'm not very tech savy. I'm not sure how to do it and I'm not sure what steps I need to take to "clean" any info out of the picture file?

But thanks for your feedback and I'm very thankful for the unique genetics that you pass around this planet!

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Finally started flowering for a couple weeks now, I really hope I can finish her... I guess I won't ever try Tikal outdoor in Belgium anymore ^^

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010239.jpg
    P1010239.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010247.jpg
    P1010247.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 38

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
is it possible to try let deprivation to force flowering early next season? or build a small greenhouse around this one to give her more time to finish? i hope i'm not being presumptuous... just wann see more people grow awesome sativas! lol

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi BenoitV1984,

Thanks for the update on your outdoor Tikal beast, i hope she can make it.

We recommend Tikal (in the official strain descriptionon on our website) for outdoor growing up to latitudes 45. We are always a bit conservative with the outdoor latitudes where our strains can be grown, and certainly Tikal can be finished a little further from the equator than that in a suitable microclimate, but it's important that growers choose the most suitable genetics for their outdoor locations taking in consideration this info.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Well, next year, I'll make beast out of something else :)

I find Kush genetics works very well here. Snow Moon was harvested yesterday and Malawi PCK will be in about 2 weeks I guess. Despite the shitloads of rain and humid weather we had lately, they handled it without a trace of mould.

I also grew Bangi Haze and Nepalese Jam like 10 years ago or so and they had no problem finishing around here.

is it possible to try let deprivation to force flowering early next season? or build a small greenhouse around this one to give her more time to finish? i hope i'm not being presumptuous... just wann see more people grow awesome sativas! lol

As far as outdoor is concerned, I'll stick to 47° and above from now on. That still leaves plenty of strains to choose from :)

Hi BenoitV1984,

Thanks for the update on your outdoor Tikal beast, i hope she can make it.

We recommend Tikal (in the official strain descriptionon on our website) for outdoor growing up to latitudes 45. We are always a bit conservative with the outdoor latitudes where our strains can be grown, and certainly Tikal can be finished a little further from the equator than that in a suitable microclimate, but it's important that growers choose the most suitable genetics for their outdoor locations taking in consideration this info.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
So...

Handled rain - check
Handled heavy wind - check
Handled high relative humidity - check
Handled near zero celsius - check

Exactly 4 weeks since last picture and I'm quite happy with the evolution. Not big cola like inside obviously, but they seem more dense. She probably needs a couple weeks to seal off now. I don't think the flowers will get any bigger, I'm not expecting a last reflowering.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010263.jpg
    P1010263.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010264.jpg
    P1010264.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 46

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Almost a year since taking the cut from the mother plant, it's about time... Cloudy trichomes everywhere :)

So... waiting for a friend, have dinner then let's do this boyyy :)

attachment.php

Nightmare incoming ^^

Attachments

• P1010267.jpg
    P1010267.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 28

BenoitV1984

Veteran
So some news here. I got about 400g of worth cleaning buds from that tree. I couldn't avoid a bid of mold but really not much of it. She's getting that nice peach/incense that I miss since last July when I finished smoking my harvest from last indoor session.

I don't think I'll ever grow her again outside, she started flowering way too late but then I wasn't going to throw away that clone which had become a plant last March/April.

We made also like 20g or so of hash from the dried trimming, unworthy twin or so pistils flowers (Moroccan style "tam-tam"/collect/press made hash) and my old mother plants I had put outdoor instead of throwing them away in the compost. So a mix of Malawi Kush, Snow Moon, Tikal's (both of my pheno), Zamaldelica, Orient Express and Grapefruit. That was tasty af.

attachment.php

I plan to grow my untested pheno after my current Green Haze x Malawi, or maybe later as Dubi made me an unexpected gift for my last order. Stay tuned for more old school Latin America jewels :)

Attachments

• P1010314.jpg
    P1010314.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 45

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi BenoitV1984,

Tikal usually starts to flower on the second-third week of August here at 37ºN, with the tamed Tikal phenotypes of moderate flowering time finishing in the 3rd week of October.

A pity yours started to flower so late at your latitude, but glad you managed to harvest a good amount of flowers :)
Every sativa lover will miss fondly Tikal's peach/incensey pheno after experience it and finish their jars.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Yeah she started to flower here when she is supposed to be done by your latitude. She was super fast to finish though, like 6-8 weeks or so. But day length went from 11:40 to 9:40 in about a month, so no surprise she matured that fast. Kinda surprised she still managed to develop nice terpenes.

I still have to compare both of my phenotype indoor but it's getting difficult to manage my schedule... I've been buying strains like a crazy whore lately, managed to buy more in a month (9 with freebies) than the last 3 years or so :). Maybe I do need that baby warehouse :rolleyes:

Btw, when I wrote old mother plants, I meant before backup of course. Still had some trips lying around last September so I had to make new mothers again, then when I finally got rid of them, I had the really bad idea to dry outdoor harvest near the mother room. A new family of trips decided to give them a go but I nuked them before they could ever settle this time. New cuts, 90°C washed smartpots, new soil and not bringing anything from outside near there ever again. So far so good this time, let's hope it lasts...

Last edited:

Eleutherios

Anybody out there in internet land ever rock this outdoor, west of the Cascades? If so, at around what latitude? Really enjoying this stuff from my indoor. Finished 4 females. 3 with the peachy incense thing.

REALLY good smoke after a few months of slow curing. It reminds me a lot of good quality Mexican smoke and regional varieties bred from it, from my youth, in The South. The 4th pheno even had some old school Mexican skunkiness to it. I wish that I would have kept all of the seeds separate. Instead, I only separated the earliest one (a peach-incense pheno)

This stuff has good medical effect as a mood stabilizer (as per most sativas) but is also very warm and uplifting, without any real anxiety. It isn't a silly-happy sort of effect, just a sort of warm calm; very functional.

Latest posts

Latest posts