What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking Vertically 101 : The Build & Grow

Badfishy1

after doing a lil calculation, my 6x4 closet is 24 sq feet if it was horizontal in reality qwith the gear its about 2.5 by four in grwable space after the ac and other stuff
with this setup, ive got 3 2x4' and a 4x5 foot space to bring my usuable area to 44 square feet thats triple my usable space so theres that main reason for vert, plus by removing the 5th girl it frees up space to work in a perpetual grow and try testers out easily. plus itll give me a chance to see wether i wanna go through the trouble of lots of smaller plabnts versus my 4-6 large plants style

The amount of useable space is quite appealing! Are there any companies doing vert on a massive scale?

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
not really sure, ive looked into it and theres a few outfits doing vert but mostly commercial ops have what i dont, square footage

verts a necessity if you dont have much room really

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i know the japanese and koreans are using it commercially again from lack of space. the amount of work involved is mostly the same as traditional, but i add on a week or more to veg up the trellis com ops aint interested in increasing time frames which is why they would do lots of littles instead of a few bigs

im gonna play with the lots of littles sometime in the future, after ive saved up for the irrigation and support. it
it just complicates shit tho, i like simple
i like to water every 3 days not supervise 60 little plants every couple hours

Badfishy1

i know the japanese and koreans are using it commercially again from lack of space. the amount of work involved is mostly the same as traditional, but i add on a week or more to veg up the trellis com ops aint interested in increasing time frames which is why they would do lots of littles instead of a few bigs

im gonna play with the lots of littles sometime in the future, after ive saved up for the irrigation and support. it
it just complicates shit tho, i like simple
i like to water every 3 days not supervise 60 little plants every couple hours

What irrigation are you using now? Doesn't seem like a week extra veg would matter if the yield is that much greater, but I guess somebody somewhere has figured out it isn't cost efficient

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i use a water can
its not any less efficient, yield is better having it vertical if you dont have floor space
and its much more efficient use of a round bulb, you get to use all 360dg as opposed to 120 from horizontalw hoods
its just easier to work over a flat space as opposed to climbg into a circle to work
theres pros and cons to every style and feeding methods but guys in a 10x10 can get 4 light running for better than a gram per watt hell heath robison can get nearly 2g/w or better in some cases

packerfan79

Veteran
Commercial vert setups are usually a single wall of weed not donuts or stadiums. I saw one on ig 15 ft tall with 3 gavitas on movers. The lights were stacked 3 high. The whole stack moved right to left and back . It was cool but to many moving parts to fail for my taste.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Commercial vert setups are usually a single wall of weed not donuts or stadiums. I saw one on ig 15 ft tall with 3 gavitas on movers. The lights were stacked 3 high. The whole stack moved right to left and back . It was cool but to many moving parts to fail for my taste.

and ther ya have it
i tried to use a light mover that way, similar to marlos setup but the mover failed and i was like fuck that noise
i appreciate simplicity myself

Badfishy1

Thanks bud

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
the main thing is if you have more than 24 sq ft to grow, start with a few and grow em out
regular, take some clones, learn the starins likes and dislikes, after youve done the first run, you can decide wether to grow which clones that stood out and you can see the natural structure she has . some strains arent good for vert c99 loves the shit and shes hardy and easy to clone idk what to expect from this biker kush other than research and the breeder is extremely well recommended ive grown a lot of different stuff and most just didnt stick around.
im looking for strains that suit my environment and are different but viable in my market

kush og in particular is hot , as well as girlscout, gg4 and other clone onlys.

im in ga so i cant just putt down to the dispensary and pick up some infested clones

but i have friends here that send me seeds and ill buy stuff from karma, chimera and bodhi

so just start and youll meet the pros here who help the newbies everyday.

Badfishy1

the main thing is if you have more than 24 sq ft to grow, start with a few and grow em out
regular, take some clones, learn the starins likes and dislikes, after youve done the first run, you can decide wether to grow which clones that stood out and you can see the natural structure she has . some strains arent good for vert c99 loves the shit and shes hardy and easy to clone idk what to expect from this biker kush other than research and the breeder is extremely well recommended ive grown a lot of different stuff and most just didnt stick around.
im looking for strains that suit my environment and are different but viable in my market

kush og in particular is hot , as well as girlscout, gg4 and other clone onlys.

im in ga so i cant just putt down to the dispensary and pick up some infested clones

but i have friends here that send me seeds and ill buy stuff from karma, chimera and bodhi

so just start and youll meet the pros here who help the newbies everyday.

Lol @ infested clones! I'm sure these are the same places that that do everything for 'patients first' (i.e. The dollar bill).

Yes have had the pleasure of getting help from a few of the big dogs around. Appreciate the humble approach by most here.

You talk about the 'market' and what's hot... this puts me into a unique position. I would personally rather grow out gear from a small company. I don't really like following trends. I like what is dearest to the breeder which isn't always what everybody else runs of theirs. Thanks again for all advice

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i want to run stuff thats not gonna surprise me with herms and such
nothing wrong with growing out smaller breeders work
i just have to test and run a couple times through to get to know what im working with

Badfishy1

i want to run stuff thats not gonna surprise me with herms and such
nothing wrong with growing out smaller breeders work
i just have to test and run a couple times through to get to know what im working with

Took one on the chin w a glue cross n herms, but it's all part of the risk/reward

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i think is about half my instances it was more my fault from stress but its hard to say
ive seen folks get one or too on a first run,then never see ita again from the clones

packerfan79

Veteran
I will say that bodhis stuff is stellar, I have been happy with everything I have tried. He may not be a small breeder, but his variety is absolutely astounding.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
pulled out my realish camera and took some better shots
wall of c99
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?
albumid=71380&pictureid=1780365
karma bk 1
picture.php

bk2
picture.php

bk3
picture.php