What's new

The Ultimate L.E.D Grow. 126w Penetrator - *New Technique

MeanBean

Thanks for the input guys! Yea I definatly need to fine tune it but hey the idea is there and sealing off the light won't be IMPOSSIBLE. SOoo I think I got it 3M taped up pretty good, although I am still trying to come up with a permanent setup to use when I remake the light skirt to hold 2 penetrators..

The felt Idea is good, I need to make like a felt lip in the top of the divider wall like the last 1", then when the light passes by it can rub by the felt then the felt will flick up higher than the light skirt once the unit is passed the wall ya know? A well I will get it, still waiting on a box of groumets to complete the res and fill for the flower area.....

jawasan

The felt Idea is good, I need to make like a felt lip in the top of the divider wall like the last 1", then when the light passes by it can rub by the felt then the felt will flick up higher than the light skirt once the unit is passed the wall ya know? A well I will get it, still waiting on a box of groumets to complete the res and fill for the flower area.....

Exactly, felt will flip up or you can have it go down. I have also seen felt lined weather stripping for screen doors and such, cut it to length, the strip screws on. But none the less, regardless how you do it, the idea is awesome for getting optimal use of one light and the space.
I have the HSS PFF*800 and this is an idea I might consider for my closet. I am not biased toward one light or the other....yet......this just happens to be the one I went with, might get 4 of those 126w leds as well later in the year.

MeanBean

Exactly, felt will flip up or you can have it go down. I have also seen felt lined weather stripping for screen doors and such, cut it to length, the strip screws on. But none the less, regardless how you do it, the idea is awesome for getting optimal use of one light and the space.
I have the HSS PFF*800 and this is an idea I might consider for my closet. I am not biased toward one light or the other....yet......this just happens to be the one I went with, might get 4 of those 126w leds as well later in the year.

Yeah Jawasan, I have already been stewing on how I am going to use your felt idea, I was wondering where I could find something like the door trim thing, that will be perfect. I will just bolt that to the skirting I made now, maybe trim it down just a bit first. Then I will make the felt Juuuuuuust barley touch the wall, the light is heavy enough and that mover is definatly strong enough!!

I was thinking for that top of the wall divider just getting a baby spring and screw one on both sides of the felt to keep it upright when theres no push from the light to pass by..

MeanBean

FIXED THE LIGHT LEAKS

FIXED THE LIGHT LEAKS

Oooook, well here's what I did:

First I made way tighter light skirts and painted them black. I just use that corrugated plastic stuff they use for 24"x18" ground signs.

Then I tried some 3m foam tape. Wasn't doing what I wanted. As you can see I was close but not good enough. Below these 3 images is the final solution I came up with..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

NOW THE REAL ANSWER

OK welll I got 3 Feather Boa's the seemed real light and puffy, soft enough to rub the wall and cause no friction really. I hot glued them around the light skirting and put one strip on the top of the divider wall.

It is 100% light sealed and even lets air through! I have the light set about 3/4 of an inch over the wall.

Also I got some black ductape to seal up where the skirt meets the light..

Now I only have a few more things to tweak and I am done!! Check these pics for now, workd great!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This Pic Doesnt do the system justice, the light on the camera lit it up but you can see how nice the seal is! This is outside the light box thats currently on!
picture.php

V. your right about the time I have to care for the plants buut I got a res now so I don’t have to water, and yeah I have the cross over time set just perfect so I can sneak in there when the light is crossing. That has made it a slow process getting the light mover sealed but it's done and on to the next task.

3 more things I need to work out or finish:

#1. My light mover takes 18 minutes and 20 seconds to cycle, so ideally I need to run it for 9 minutes and 10 seconds at a time. Most cheap timers only let you set to the minute. Buying a expensive timer blows the budget for this setup. I have digital timers; this won’t work with an analog one because it needs power to count the time.

Anyhow I want to piggy back two timers. Set the first one for a minute longer than I need, but then set the clock for the second time on the second timer 10 seconds faster than the first. That way the second timer will cut the power to the first timer 10 seconds into the extra minute. The digital timers have a rechargeable battery so they can keep the schedule even if unplugged..

Any other thoughts? lol

#2. I need to build a few more divider walls. I need to be able to pop that thing on and off to access the other plants. anyhow I think I will just make a few more in 3" increments..

#3. Waiting on gourmets in mail to finish flower area rez...

MeanBean

Thanks! I am ready to see what happens too!! I am tired of f'ing with this thing, I am ready to set it and forget about it a week at a time...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks good MB - the feather boas are a good solution ( did you try them on before you used them as lightproofing? :D ) i was thinking of those draught excluder brushes you put on the bottom of doors or something along similar lines. the other thing you could do if you were custom building a cab would be to have an empty section between the two grows that would help stop light leaking between the two sides

cool stuff. keep out a special watch for male flowers though ;)

V.

MeanBean

Hahaha Yeah V I will be watching close, at least this time in this setup i can spin my plants around. I let the roots get tangled last time.

Anyhow No i didn't try it on but I did play around with it like a ninja with a ribbon lol.

The ladies at the fabric store looked a little ruffled to see a cock in the hen house lol, buying these things to make it worse!!

Whatever though I got plenty of extra for the next level divider wall. I think I will make this one out of some thin wood instead of the corrugated plastic. Still need a bit more mylar for the dividers too!!

I CAN"T SEE WHY ANYONE GROWING IN A CLOSET OR SIMILAR WITH LED WOULD NOT TRY THIS TECHNIQUE.

#1. Most closets aren't the correct size for a light foot print, you usually need 2 side by side

#2. Lets say you can Veg 4 plants with 1 light, well you can only flower 2 with that same light, this method would even your lights playing field so it could veg 4 stationary and then flower 4 on the mover. you can double your Flower Power thanks to the 12/12 cycle..

#3. Eliminates the 12 hours on/off draw on your electric grid. the light is on 24 hrs a day it's whole life, 24 for Veg 24 for flower.

LEDGirl

Veteran
I loves me a MeanBean Grow! Awesome job on the new setup and using that fuzzy black feather boa thing! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

MeanBean

Thanks Nizzle N LEDGirl! Glad to have ya!!

LedGirl you know how many grows I have done , I am holding on tight for this one, really pushing my knowledge base to the limit lol!! Seems plausible though hahaha!!

MeanBean

Ok Finally got the grommets I needed to finish my res for the flower area... a bit disappointed.

Basically what I did is link all four 5Gal buckets up & the control, a 2Gal bucket.

I made the control myself with a simple float deal. But man it is S L O W to fill the 5 gal buckets... I cant just make my 5 gallons of solution and pump it in the res or control bucket. It needed to sit for awhile!

Soooo I decided to just fill 10 gallons directly to the 4 5Gal pots and 5 to the res.

Well at this moment I am starting to realize if I want this plumbing to be faster I need to quit using the vinyl tubing and start making pvc pipes to connect stuff...

But I am spent on grow rooom construction for now. I made an extension for the wall its getto to, I need to make nice one piece wooden ones but now that were using the cab I gotta just do what I gotta do tell harvest and make all the major adjustments I would like when it's empty.. Sorry for the eye sore, but it will function!

Shoulda took some more pics but there's nothing new to see really. Waiting for some pistals to show then I will have something.

MeanBean

2nd Week Flower, Got some white hairs..

2nd Week Flower, Got some white hairs..

OK finally some Pistils showing up. On that note I have my mother to these clones about 2 weeks ahead of these plants. shes doing well and hopefully is a good peak at these plants future. to check ot out go here:

Dutch Passion - The Ultimate - LED Rodeo Tie Down Featuring Lead Hearder LST!

Also, I have the light as high as it will go. I made a bracket for the light and this is it. Still thinking on an easier system but this will do..

picture.php

picture.php

Also, I have been doing some Serious LST, not by choice. these things are just growing way to tall. Sooo everytime a head cola gets to close I lasso her down with string. That would explain the perfect square shape of the canopy, and the bent over plants.

Sooo not really what I planned but hey, It should still work no problem. I am learning one thing, that back plant is a bitch to get to lol, I need to stay away from that oasis strain or any other strain pron for throwing Hermie's. Hey V, Haven't seen one on this strain yet but you can be sure I am snooping for em!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MeanBean

OK So Now these Fauckers just got to me. This Stringy ass strain just keeps Spiraling up to My light! I bet it would grow like 5 feet! Maxxing out my 2.5 ft flower area cab real quick...

But from watching the mother of these plants flower I do like what I am seeing, nice quality buds but mann they are taking a bit longer than my last strain. Currently looking for a new strain now, and I am glad I don't have to worry about plant height anymore.

Anyhow, tying each cola up ended up being a losing battle. I let them go for a few days and everything was at the light again...

Soooo with a little luck and inspiration from V, I converted to SCROG. I must say now that I did it, I better understand it, and I like it. Everything is soo much neater and worry free.

Hey V hope you will poke in and give me any tips you think I may need as a first time scrogger!! JUst post it up here to share with other peeps!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

5.5 inches from light
picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey MB that should work well - like you say scrog is a lot easier to do in practice rather than theory!

just try and keep an eye on the potential budsites and get them spread out over the screen. when you think they dont have much more stretch in them then let them go up a little bit - depending on how much space you have between screen and light.
another time when you were doing this from the start i would set the screen a bit lower ;)

cheers

VG.

Fat J

Nice man, they lookin real healthy. Maybe next time u should go with a lowrider or duckfoot or this one plant I had from a random seed - after 2 mo vegging it was about 15" un-topped but bushy as all hell ^.^ Can't wait to see ur cheerleaders push their pom-poms up thru that screen!

MeanBean

Thanks V. I am glad to get your advice! Yes I agree about lowering the screen. Since this was kinda spur of the moment I calculated the height of the screen by measuring what was the minimum space I needed between light and plant. Didn't wanna smash the plants too much.

I will hack of like 3 more inches at least next time around. A scrog is nice, it really opens the horizon on what strain characteristics you can grow.

Fat J, yeah I had been looking for a shorter strain and I will consider those strains. My dutch passion oasis strain is like that "short n bushy" but it is designed to throw a Hermy or two to keep the strain going. That would suck in a scrog, seems Hermes would be a bit trickery to see.

I almost ordered barneys farm LSD the other day. Now that I have a scrog I am gonna go through the list dis regarding plant height!!

The more control of variables you have over the grow the more precise your results can be!

Yeehaww scrog, thanks for the inspiration V! Now I know my screens aren't as nice as yours but as I built mine I thought "man that musty of been a P.I.T.A. to make all the screen legs perfectly mount on the buckets you use!

Scrogerman

Veteran
Hey Mean,
Pullin up a late chair bro, if id a known you were here id of called in sooner, sorry for my ignorance bro'. Looks like you got things sorted and it looks real neat and tidy so your half way there, cool. I always cover bare timber, i think Bare timber can harbour a whole host of nastie's from 'Mites to Mold', for a quick fix in your position use Gaffa tape to cover any bare timber surface, call me fussy & paranoid but no i think my point is warrented tbh! Best of Luck with your Scrog Buddy!
Btw, i think a good 'Screen height for next time round would be 10-12", seems to always work for me!
Peace & Respect...............Scroger! ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts