What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I still have seedlings alive. ;)

I'm having trouble finding a pH meter. I'm so spoiled from growing up in the U.S.A. It's a consumer society, and it's easy to find anything for sale. I had a soil probe pH meter there for about $5. The best I could do here was to find a pH paper test kit for more than $40. I don't have that kind of money and I don't have the best color acuity. My best sense is my aromatic acuity. There is a laboratory that will do a test for $20. Next time a friend visits, I'll have them bring a couple of cheap soil pH meters with them. In the meantime, I'll speak with some local farmers to find out the pH in this area generally.

I can't help myself, so here's what I have so far. Too many plants in a tiny pot because I lost faith in the seeds. I got 4 of 4 seeds to sprout in the new soil mix, so it's definitely not the seed stock. They look a little funny, so I think the soil is still not ideal.

All the best to your search,
ThaiBliss

Attachments

• 20230819_155747.jpg
    20230819_155747.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230820_180119.jpg
    20230820_180119.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 56

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Another day, another dream of growing success. Unfortunately, the first seedling up is turning yellow. My garden back in Oregon had a problem with being too acidic. I'd have to lime it a bit, and fertilize fairly heavily with nitrogen when the plants went into the ground. Can plants be yellowed from too much alkaline? When I go back into town, I'm going to buy that rip off pH paper. These seeds are just too valuable.

This is especially so because a couple of seeds came up that are daughters of that Neville's Haze freak pheno I found. None of the ones crossed to VISC Burmese came up. Those were the ones I preferred. However, I had another cross I saved, also for 20+ years waiting for a worthy plant to carry on the genetics.

I liked the Burmese because the high was clean and had top end power. The more you smoked, the higher you got. I laid people out with that, because they didn't believe that it crept up on you. It tasted so good, people wanted more. That plant was also early enough for outside at 42 degrees north. I loved that plant and carried it forward with a good Bangi Haze, another underestimated strain, IMHO. Despite the fat leaves of both those strains, they had good clean cerebral highs, at least the ones I selected. I was proud of my Oregon outdoor weed progress.

The other cross I made with the Nevilles Haze Freak, was a Hawaiian Haze. I've seen pictures of people's Hawaiian Haze that had fat leaves, but mine didn't. It also had a light yellow green glow to it. The high had that "it" factor, cerebral and energetic. It also had a bit of a dirty feel to it. It wasn't as clear and clean as the Burmese. The Burmese had top end power that I explored. The Hawaiian Haze was stronger after just two tokes, but I don't remember if I explored it at much higher dosages. I'm not even sure if I waited for it to cure more than a few months. I didn't have that much, and I only grew it once. It was the third best Haze I ever grew. That's not saying much because though I found an extraordinarily spectacular supreme being, the vast majority were total crap. I might have just been bad at growing tropical sativas indoors. LOL. The second and third best Haze individuals were good, and I wanted to reinforce Haze genetics in that lineage.

Anyway, those are the new seedlings that just hatched, Neville's Haze Freak X Hawaiian Haze. All in all, 6 plants so far. I'm getting confident that I should find at least one of each gender so I can make fresh seeds and start searching for the best future breeders.

Best Vibes,
ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings Searchers,

I got good news, and bad news. My pH test done with my second batch of soil mix came in great, 6.53. Almost perfect in my opinion. I'm very happy with anything between 6.5 and 6.8. The bad news is it's still a mystery as to why the seedlings look so yellow and shriveled up. I'm now guessing it's a severe lack of nutrients or the LED lights I'm using, which are a new experience for me. It's a simple white 150 watt outdoor security light. I started out with the pots about 10 inches away. The seedlings looked leggy to me, so I move them just 4 inches away. They are just far enough away to avoid getting too hot. It seems quite bright.

I'm now trying to get the seedlings used to this intense sunlight here. I bring them outside for a few hours in the morning, and some time in the afternoon when it's not raining. I know that Red Rider has intense sun at his altitude and latitude that will kill seedlings, so I'm still avoiding midday sun until they get bigger.

I have been trying an extremely light fish emulsion and seaweed extract as fertilizer since seeing these symptoms. I guess I need to try bumping it up in concentration a bit. I don't have any other ideas. Please let me know if you think there is anything else I should consider.

Thanks,
ThaiBliss

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Im growing some purple atm. The last time i grew this mystery purple, it was pretty dang frosty and had a trippy buzz.
The first 5 pictures are of my last purple. The last 2 pictures are of the current purple. It's the kind that grows green leaves with purple flowers.
The current purp will be Vegetated until the end of October or middle of nov befor i flower it. This round, I'm trying to get a huge yield.
20221230_202017.jpg

20221230_202102.jpg
20221230_201432.jpg
20221224_213519.jpg
20221224_210945.jpg
20230901_112619.jpg
20230901_111726.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I´ve had a tough time getting going. I lost a lot of a limited number of seeds from very cherished genetics. I do have 4 survivors that are starting to look better. When I tested the water, the pH was 7.22 It´s not terrible given the decent soil at 6.53, but a likely contributor to the issue. I think there might have been herbicide in the rice husks. Now I have to keep them alive until next October.

I´m going to have to recover some seed stock from my Oregon outside line. It´s an excellent quality of high, and very easy to work with. I hope to make a cross with, and inbreed the Gypsy Thai Stick x (Neville´s Haze x Mullumbimby). Many very good growers were put off by the difficulty, long flowering (even for the subtropics) low yeild, and small buds of that Gypsy Thai Stick. I don´t care, I want to feel that power again.

Funny story, sort of. The friend who I gave my outside line to agreed to share, but was hesitant. That friend has developed an affinity and possesiveness of it. OMG, LMAO! Well, at least it´s appreciated and has developed a following. Pretty good for a very cerebral, delayed onset, energetic style strain. But I was taken aback by a noticable reluctance to share. They said it´s O.K. because I´m in Costa Rica. Jeeez, I´m insulted and complimented at the same time. LOL There was a very good year where it fully ripened with warm weather. I heard it was noticeably stronger that year. :) I wouldn´t mind if I had two harvests seperated by a month.

I´ll post some pics in a month if things continue to improve.

Best vibes, and better luck to you all,

ThaiBliss

Masonweed420

My kerala was extremely psychedelic. I would not call it trippy as the visions were extremely lucid and clear, the thoughts extremely clear and visionary, but the visuals were their own 3d/4d light show of impossible imagination. I went into a deep state of creating art and it was effortless and no way could I have created what I did without the assistance. Mine was sun grown - left alone for 5.5 months in the desert at 120'F temps, and it survived. The flavor is what I would describe as ocean mist. A very blue ocean mist with a sour orange soda on the back-end.
Wow those South Indian varieties sure are devastatingly strong how were the visuals compared to something like mescaline or acid? I’ve heard of some people getting cartoon type effects from certain landraces especially south asian varieties.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On south Indian I find most are not very strong, medium or so. I am used to hybrids here in California so of course my ideas of things are slanted.

What they do have is almost entirely cerebral effects. With one pheno of Chellakutti I had trippy feelings for sure, no visions. I had almost no vision stuff with LSD so go figure. Most of what I have smoked of the Indians was a bit trippy with paranoia possible. One Chellakutti was more trippy compared to the rest of what I have to smoke.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greets Peeps,

Attached are a couple pics of the sickly, stunted, seedlings that were hanging on by a thread. I´m starting to see some momentum in these, thank Shiva.

I hope to experiment with triggering cuttings into flowering at different times next Aug., Sept., Oct. in order to finish before Feb. Learning all over again 10° from the equator. I was pretty knowledgable at 42°. Doesn´t mean diddley here. LOL! It´s an adventure.
20231008_095249.jpg
20231008_095646.jpg

ThaiBliss

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,
My little seedlings are now fairly healthy, so I will transplant them soon. pH meter should be here next week. :)
Because these seeds come from a pure very long flowering sativa crossed with a combo of two long flowering mostly sativas, I thought I would be O.K. with a 14 hour day / 10 hour night cycle for vegetation. Well, I already have pre-flower pistils on one of the plants. Good news, I have a female! LOL. It could be from the overcrowded pot, as in semi-autoflower. I´ll leave it at the same light cycle, and see if things change after repotting. Maybe this is an opportunity to see if there are hermie traits in any of the plants.

Attached are way too many pics of my little babies. The S.E. Asian crocodile tails are starting to express themselves. I´m very happy about it. I almost lost all my best seeds. I did lose some gems. :( I saved these, just barely.

20231102_144924.jpg
20231102_145037.jpg
20231102_144835.jpg
20231030_063930.jpg
20231030_063913.jpg

Verdant Whisperer

Greetings,

I´ve had a tough time getting going. I lost a lot of a limited number of seeds from very cherished genetics. I do have 4 survivors that are starting to look better. When I tested the water, the pH was 7.22 It´s not terrible given the decent soil at 6.53, but a likely contributor to the issue. I think there might have been herbicide in the rice husks. Now I have to keep them alive until next October.

I´m going to have to recover some seed stock from my Oregon outside line. It´s an excellent quality of high, and very easy to work with. I hope to make a cross with, and inbreed the Gypsy Thai Stick x (Neville´s Haze x Mullumbimby). Many very good growers were put off by the difficulty, long flowering (even for the subtropics) low yeild, and small buds of that Gypsy Thai Stick. I don´t care, I want to feel that power again.

Funny story, sort of. The friend who I gave my outside line to agreed to share, but was hesitant. That friend has developed an affinity and possesiveness of it. OMG, LMAO! Well, at least it´s appreciated and has developed a following. Pretty good for a very cerebral, delayed onset, energetic style strain. But I was taken aback by a noticable reluctance to share. They said it´s O.K. because I´m in Costa Rica. Jeeez, I´m insulted and complimented at the same time. LOL There was a very good year where it fully ripened with warm weather. I heard it was noticeably stronger that year. :) I wouldn´t mind if I had two harvests seperated by a month.

I´ll post some pics in a month if things continue to improve.

Best vibes, and better luck to you all,

ThaiBliss
You can't use fresh rice hulls here for sure. I'm sorry you had to find out this Way there full of chemicals. There's one spot with organic rice but the price they sell the hulls is ridiculous.

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thanks Verdant! Very helpful advice.
Question: I've seen some partially burn the rice hulls, as if almost making biochar out of it. The outside became blackened, but still some fiber inside. Good for potassium for sure. Do you think this mitigates the herbicide issue with the hulls? I have a large sack of it. I want to put it in my compost heaps without spreading the problem about.

Three of my little starts have thrown pistils. The fourth looks like a male, but I'm not certain. Hooray if that's the case! Since I really need seed, I've decided to put my plants out in the natural light cycle now, and hope I can get some flower this year. Verdant has informed me it's possible that revegging might not occur until March, well into the dry season. This contradicts other advice that early Feb is as late as possible brfore reveg, but this was from someone who I believe is 10 degrees further from the equator than my location, which makes the March possibility sound reasonable. I hope I remembered this all correcly. :)

The plants were finally growing very rapidly, having to water twice a day. I decided to transplant. They looked pretty good the first day in the new soil. One quarter red clay (from under the top layer of volcanic ash), one quarter starter mix, one quarter river silt, one eigth chicken manure with rice hulls, one eigth compost made from sawdust and coffee husks. Overall, a much lower percentage of rice hull. This is a hot mix. Maybe I won't have to fertilize with a light mix of fish emulsion in every watering.

B.T.W., I found some good quality "cuita", pure chicken shit. My car may reek of it for a month. LOL. I'm going to get rid of the chicken shit mixed with the rice hulls to my compost heap. Tough lessons. :(

Verdant Whisperer

Thanks Verdant! Very helpful advice.
Question: I've seen some partially burn the rice hulls, as if almost making biochar out of it. The outside became blackened, but still some fiber inside. Good for potassium for sure. Do you think this mitigates the herbicide issue with the hulls? I have a large sack of it. I want to put it in my compost heaps without spreading the problem about.

Three of my little starts have thrown pistils. The fourth looks like a male, but I'm not certain. Hooray if that's the case! Since I really need seed, I've decided to put my plants out in the natural light cycle now, and hope I can get some flower this year. Verdant has informed me it's possible that revegging might not occur until March, well into the dry season. This contradicts other advice that early Feb is as late as possible brfore reveg, but this was from someone who I believe is 10 degrees further from the equator than my location, which makes the March possibility sound reasonable. I hope I remembered this all correcly. :)

The plants were finally growing very rapidly, having to water twice a day. I decided to transplant. They looked pretty good the first day in the new soil. One quarter red clay (from under the top layer of volcanic ash), one quarter starter mix, one quarter river silt, one eigth chicken manure with rice hulls, one eigth compost made from sawdust and coffee husks. Overall, a much lower percentage of rice hull. This is a hot mix. Maybe I won't have to fertilize with a light mix of fish emulsion in every watering.

B.T.W., I found some good quality "cuita", pure chicken shit. My car may reek of it for a month. LOL. I'm going to get rid of the chicken shit mixed with the rice hulls to my compost heap. Tough lessons. :(
Not sure about the rice hulls I don't use them at all bc of contaminates, the locals love them but they also don't grow buds with that mix in general
. If you want drainage you can add in red lava rocks or bamboo biochar or ever pea rocks mixed in light ones like pumice, I've learned not to mix sand with the red clay soil, it turns to cement. If the rice hull chicken mix has been composted along time it's good ide recommend 3+months bc it takes longer for herbicides to dissolve I think from when there put in the field there half life is around half a year in general.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greets and Salutations,

My most recent soil mix worked very well. The little ladies exploded with growth. All are showing pistils, but I'm looking askance at the one that also looks male, a possible hermie. Oh well, I'm not expecting much this year due to the lack of plant maturity before flowering. If I get seeds, and cull one due to hermie, or one stands out, I'll be happy.

The aromas on all of them are strongly citrus like and leathery. I'm very disapointed that none are currently strongly displaying the turpentine aroma. The seeds lost from the male that had pinene in spades was a tragedy. :( Maybe one will pop out from the next F2 gen.

Attached is a pic from one that looks like it already needs tranplanting. It's only been two weeks. I like to keep pots small to drive growth with lots of waterings including a very light fert solution. This didn't need fert due to the hot soil mix. I'll wait till the others catch up and put them all in one large pot, unless it looks like I could get some weight this year. This is perfect weather for growth right now. A non grower friend visiting commented on how much it grew in a few days. It's an amazing turnaround. But, it's all about how fast these flowers for me now. It could get huge if it is really slow to bud. What a learning curve for me!

20231116_070042.jpg

Best Vibes

Verdant Whisperer

Greets and Salutations,

My most recent soil mix worked very well. The little ladies exploded with growth. All are showing pistils, but I'm looking askance at the one that also looks male, a possible hermie. Oh well, I'm not expecting much this year due to the lack of plant maturity before flowering. If I get seeds, and cull one due to hermie, or one stands out, I'll be happy.

The aromas on all of them are strongly citrus like and leathery. I'm very disapointed that none are currently strongly displaying the turpentine aroma. The seeds lost from the male that had pinene in spades was a tragedy. :( Maybe one will pop out from the next F2 gen.

Attached is a pic from one that looks like it already needs tranplanting. It's only been two weeks. I like to keep pots small to drive growth with lots of waterings including a very light fert solution. This didn't need fert due to the hot soil mix. I'll wait till the others catch up and put them all in one large pot, unless it looks like I could get some weight this year. This is perfect weather for growth right now. A non grower friend visiting commented on how much it grew in a few days. It's an amazing turnaround. But, it's all about how fast these flowers for me now. It could get huge if it is really slow to bud. What a learning curve for me!

View attachment 18919173

Best Vibes
I think theres a good chance your turpentine aroma is still in the line, the aromas of less mature plants seems to be less complex. my friends gave me clones in the past where the older clones had complete different profiles than the mothers, who where veged around 4 weeks than flowered while these clones where over 3 months old. the clones had a much more complex profile. it looks like you had good luck finding some good ingredients, im guessing you mixed the peat/perilite mix with the press mud cake. i first discovered how potent that press mud cake was when i planted a squash with some and it was 4x the size of the other squashes.