What's new

~ThE pRoMiX tHrEaD~

Phases

According to the mfg. it isn't truly inert, there are low doses of nutes and lime in the mix...the first rinse out(in veg) comes out like a light tea color, that is the base nutes...according to mfg. That's why they can go pretty long with no nutes from clone, they're living off the PM. I've vegged for 6 weeks before giving them nutes, if it was "inert" they'd have been dead.

I'm looking into a auto top feed system now too, it will save me a ton of time...and stop strapping me to the plants every night. Just need to figure out the pump size and piping configuration, along with some possible freezing issues.

I couldn't find Pico's thread, I'll look again.

EDIT:Here is Pico's thread, from 2007 so parts available today are much better really
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=62654

Balance of pressure seems to be a hitch, especially on long runs or lots of pots...I'll design something up, I'm chasing down parts & controllers now...really very cheap for the system.

Yeah let me know what you come up with. I got a few ideas I think I am going to covert my 4x4 to dtw top fed system and do the same with my 3 3x3.5 custom build dtw tables. Once i chop everything down, only 10-15 days to go, I will snap some shots of the tables and maybe even do a diary on the design build and run of the new system I build.

I am thinking of doing some chow mix (coco and hydroton) and some perlite and coco, a table of pure coco, and I think I might just keep a table of promix, it seems every time I run this promix I tweak a few things and yeilds keep getting better and keep learning how I can adjust things to get harder and more resinous buds - so it will be interesting to see a side by side of promix - coco - and a coco perlite/coco hydroton mix. Want to see what yeilds the best.

For the top feed system I am thinking might seperate the tables so each one has its own res and pump. Because I don't think I want the coco table on same cycle as the coco/perlite mix and definitely don't want the promix on same cycle as coco.

Let me know when you figure out how your going to run your automated system. Can't wait to be able to go into garden and just do nothing, maybe pluck some leaves, clean things up, I will probably end up having a way cleaner room, which is key to keeping bugs out. M

I'll stop rambling...

Bwanabud

Phases,
Before I forget, remember that coco will need a lot more CalMag than the ProMix plants.

Have narrowed down my choices to a modified Blumat system, maybe a tad pricier outright but easy to maintain and control. I'm skipping their pump system and running my own, their price is silly stupid.

I'm be running a 40 plant test area, all top feed with a heated reservoir from a separate location...it's 3F in there now :) I had considered the 1/4" hoops with drippers, but like the clean and dump of the Blumat system. I'm running straight ProMix BX, with GH Flora series.

If the test area works and balances well, I'll expand it to all my other plants. Should save me a ton of time and stress, shit I've got enough to do now.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Is Promix actually inert? I have heard both sides to this and I am not sure if it is or not. I always thought it was an inert soiless medium.

Stasis- I hear ya on the whole "chained to grow" thing, I need to be able to let the garden run itself for a while - Iam going with top feed system, I know pico has an awesome thread on how to design a killer top feed system, I think he was using it with coco - but I am sure you can use it for any medium.
I've definitely gotten to the point where there is too much to do and it takes the fun out of it (not entirely that's impossible) at least a bit.
So I am looking to get things dialed on an automated system.

Thanks for the tip. A top feed would free me up. I tried it, and the whole rez released in one BLOOP/.//! So, I already have the stuff necessary, just gotta work it out.

ProMix may have a small charge of nutes in it. I have also heard differing reports on that. Premier Manufacturing has (or had) a list of all the sorts of ProMix available, and what it was made of. That would clear it all up for ya.

The reason I think it is a lower yield system than others is simply oxygen to the roots is not as good as hydro or coco, and there is not the benefits that you DO get with good soil.

But, as a mix with other things I do like it.

Cheers....

Phases

Phases,
Before I forget, remember that coco will need a lot more CalMag than the ProMix plants.

Have narrowed down my choices to a modified Blumat system, maybe a tad pricier outright but easy to maintain and control. I'm skipping their pump system and running my own, their price is silly stupid.

I'm be running a 40 plant test area, all top feed with a heated reservoir from a separate location...it's 3F in there now :) I had considered the 1/4" hoops with drippers, but like the clean and dump of the Blumat system. I'm running straight ProMix BX, with GH Flora series.

If the test area works and balances well, I'll expand it to all my other plants. Should save me a ton of time and stress, shit I've got enough to do now.

If you do go with the bluemats I have been told that once a week you should hand feed them a really low ec calmag mix to rinse any of the buildup, this makes sense to me because with the bluemats you won't get any run off so rinsing the build up will help eliminate problems down the road, however you could also use dripclean which helps but I would still do a miniflush(rinse) once a week.

I am doing the same thing running a test area. Haven't decided how many will go into coco. But I def want to try some coco/perlite mix and a chow mix with hydroton and coco - want to see the difference between the different coco mixes.

You should do a journal of your conversion to coco. I think Iam going to do that - then I can get some help along the way if I run into any issues

Phases

Thanks for the tip. A top feed would free me up. I tried it, and the whole rez released in one BLOOP/.//! So, I already have the stuff necessary, just gotta work it out.

ProMix may have a small charge of nutes in it. I have also heard differing reports on that. Premier Manufacturing has (or had) a list of all the sorts of ProMix available, and what it was made of. That would clear it all up for ya.

The reason I think it is a lower yield system than others is simply oxygen to the roots is not as good as hydro or coco, and there is not the benefits that you DO get with good soil.

But, as a mix with other things I do like it.

Cheers....

Ya pm must have something in it cause I only give my clones superthrive and rapid start for first couple weeks and they stay nice and green.

I can't wait to do automated feeding system. Going to save so much time and I think it will boost yeilds as well, once it's dialed in.

Bwanabud

I'm going to be going with a pressurized loop system, individual pot sensors,,,with a purge line for clean out, salt or debris shouldn't be an issue according to users..still checking.

I've got a call into Blumat, the tech should have some answers for me.

Phases

Keep me posted - I ll have to hit ya up when I build my system about 2 weeks. Until I can start building. Do some renovating and up grading!!

Phases

Does anyone else have experience with bluemats in promix?

Be interested in hearing someone experience with them.

Bwanabud have the super deluxe version - I like the concept of bluemats
But I would like to hear a bit more about them.

stonedfly

how much water do you find your watering per water in a 3 gallon pot? 1 cup? 2? drench it in 1/2 gallon?

obviously many ways to skin the promix cat... I've been switching it up over the years... depends on the time i have really, lol

Phases

I was never really good at keeping track of how much I fed per pot - I just used a 2L jug and hand watered untill I got some runoff - I found using a lot of extra perlite was helpful to make the mix lighter -

I have a few plants in 2gal promix pots and I just water when the dry out a bit.

It all depends on the size of the plant to. If it's a smaller plant you would obviously not feed as much per waterin as you would a bigger plant.

I know that doesn't really answer your question. Now that I think of it I was way less disciplined in my feeding schedule with promix - now that running coco I keep way better track of how much and when I feed.

LostTribe

Premium user
Best stuff I have ever seen was grown in Promix, FFOF, and mexicano and indonesian bat guano teas on the Original Cinderella 99!

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Heres a shot of my 55 day gg4 grown in promix bx
picture.php

MedxGrowr

Pro mix

Pro mix

I just want to say I appreciate your post. I have been looking and looking for info on promix to no avail until I found this thread. I actuall registered just to say thank you. I am a new grower . I have only grew one successful crop. I am using pro mix. I believe most people who start out use it. There is a video on YouTube from NVclosetmedgrower who does a grow series and he used promix if anyone wants to check it out. My biggest issues was over watering so I am glad I found your post because it makes since. My grow is pretty much the same as yours..I use gh flora series. I usually run my ph around 5.7 - 5.8 and that gives me a run off of 6.2- 6.3. I usually check my runoff every feeding to see if the nutrients are being digested. I usually over feed then flush and that's why I run into problems. So I am going to try your method of no running off and more light feedings. Thnx for the info. Stay blessed.

Phases

Hey Medxgrowr -

Glad the information has helped. I am actually just finishing up my last run in promix, as I e switched to coco.

Overwatering, especially when the plants are small, was a big problem for me. You got to let them dry out so the roots don't suffocate.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask,there's a lot of good growers around here that are very helpful.

I am using BX now, straight from the bale. Maxibloom at just under a tsp. Epsom salt and a little ph UP. I water till a couple of drops come out and never flush till 2 weeks until finish.
Plants do great, even hitting temps above 90.

Phases

Hey born loser,
What do you run your ph at ?
I was running at 5.8-6.0. But found when I ran it at 6.2-6.4
It helpful keep the ph right around 6.0-6.2 the whole run, when is usually starts to drop in week 5. Promix has a tendency to become more acidic as it break down.

Latest posts

Latest posts