Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > How to make a PVC dripper manifold

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
How to make a PVC dripper manifold Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2007, 04:25 AM #1
pico

pico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nice
How to make a PVC dripper manifold

I usually stay away from drip systems because of problems I have had with them in the past. I recently tried a system out of PVC and it is pretty nice. Very sturdy and even watering all around. Here is how I did it.

Parts list:

3/4" Schedule 40 PVC
3/4" PVC 90 degree elbows
3/4" pvc 3 way T
3/4" pvc slip to 3/4" threaded
3/4" raindrip inline particle filter
3/4" pvc to female garden hose adapter
1/4" top hat grommet
1/4" drip tubing
garden hose
water pump
pvc glue

Alright, I am using 3x6 tables for this setup. 28 plants per table. 7" square pots with coco/perlite. Here is a little graphic of my setup.

Cut PVC to length

Plan out where you want your drip lines and drill 3/8" holes

squeeze the 1/4" top hat grommets in the holes

Place your particle filter in a good location. Use PVC T, some pvc pipe, slip to threaded pvc adapter to attatch filter and then another adapter to go from the filter to the garden hose.

Dry fit and make sure everything is how you like it. Make sure everything is clean and no pvc shavings are inside tubes. Then glue her up.

Cut 1/4" tube to lenght needed. Try to keep all the lengths similar or the same so flow rate is the same. Use a little bit of dish soap to slide the lines in the grommets.

Mine fits perfectly and I just shove the 1/4" lines directly in the coco with no drippers.

I really like the hose connections because it allows me to flush my plants really easily. just unscrew the hose to the nutrient tank and screw in the garden hose.

If you have any questions just ask.

Pico
2400w hydroton ebb flowFinished
4000w Coco/Perlite bedsFinished
2400w Coco/Perlite top dripFinished
DIY Waterproof Floor
DIY PVC SCROG Trellis
DIY PVC Dripper Manifold
Aircooled Reflector Reviews
"Inventing is a combination of brains and materials. The more brains you use, the less materials you need." –Charles F. Kettering
pico is offline Quote

29 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:33 AM #2
twowordz

Nice Pico!

Thanks for sharing...

TW

Old 07-04-2007, 04:50 AM #3
clowntown
Banned

clowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really nice
Another awesome one from pico.

That's an awesome idea, using those grommets. For some reason I couldn't think of that, when I explored some options on building a drip manifold. I went with 1/2" flexible vinyl black tubing and barbs instead, but would have preferred PVC. (Borrowed the design from Neptune's threads.)

I also saw these at Home Depot, 8-port 1/4" outlet manifolds. Each port is individually adjustable. This is what I'm going to be working with on my upcoming run, with some other sort of drip device than a simple open end or stake.

The dilemma I'm having with even these medium-small containers (like 1-2 gal, square) is that with a single "open end" line (including using stakes), I'm not able to achieve very even watering throughout, with a fairly low water output. I'm interested in keeping the amount of water pumped out to a minimum required for enough runoff; not too much since I'm draining to waste and want to conserve nutes.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure whether this even watering top-down is very important, but something I'm interested in as it naturally helps prevent salt buildups in the medium.
clowntown is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 04:58 AM #4
pico

pico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nicepico is just really nice
For some reason I have always had problems with the flexible manifold and barbs. I was always clogging. But then again I wasn't using a particle filter so that was probably my problem. But this new design I really like.

I know what you are talking about with the single drip point and soaking the whole pot. I am going run to waste as well. I am just starting out but I was going to experiment with more frequent short watering times that barely do any runoff. That way I figure the pot will soak up the water more evenly than just a couple heavy waterings with a single drip point that has a lot of runoff before pot is evenly soaked.

I was also thinking about putting 1/4" T's on the ends of my dripper so at least there would be 2 drip points. If you find a nice reliable dripper with an even spread let me know.
DIY Waterproof Floor
DIY PVC SCROG Trellis
DIY PVC Dripper Manifold
"Inventing is a combination of brains and materials. The more brains you use, the less materials you need." –Charles F. Kettering
pico is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 05:27 AM #5
clowntown
Banned

clowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really niceclowntown is just really nice
Good idea with the tee. I'm going to give the soaker hoses a shot in the next week or two, but my current prediction is that they'll quickly clog up with salt caked all over it.

I saw these 1/4" drip lines with built-in inline drip devices. They claimed to be superior to laser-drilled holes, since they guaranteed a consistent, even output regardless of distance from source. The drip devices also claimed to be self-cleaning and clog-resistant. One brand had 1 GPH holes every 12"; the other brand had 0.5 GPH holes every 6".

I thought about cutting off the drippers, and making my own drip ring with the drippers closer together (like every 2" or so), but that just seems like too much work involved for something not that special.

I'm going to look into the laser-drilled 1/4" drip lines, if I can find any. I don't think the pressure difference from one end to another will matter too much, as you're dealing with such a small difference over a short length.

Are those 4 gal square pots? I love square pots.
clowntown is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 05:36 AM #6
pico

I think they are probably closer to 2 gallons. but yeah I like them. I can barely squeeze 45 per 3x6 tray but I didn't think I need that many with this strain.

Hopefully these straight ends work out for me. The less parts the better.
DIY Waterproof Floor
DIY PVC SCROG Trellis
DIY PVC Dripper Manifold
pico is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 07:16 AM #7
BlindDate

BlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really nice
I would suggest that you buy a cheap $10 PVC cutter as it does a much better job than a miter saw. No burrs, no chips, no mess.
BlindDate is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 08:35 AM #8
pico

I saw those but seeing as I only needed to make a handfull of cuts I passed.
DIY Waterproof Floor
DIY PVC SCROG Trellis
DIY PVC Dripper Manifold
pico is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 06:35 PM #9
bobblehead

bobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant futurebobblehead has a brilliant future
You continue to inspire me pico....
bobblehead is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 PM #10
humble1
a.k.a. X-pert Dreamer

humble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nicehumble1 is just really nice
hey pico,

looking great as always!

what watering/feed schedule are you running. i run a similar setup with coco bags and have an encore timer. 5 seconds every two hours. in veg you can make it four hours. gnats were initially an issue, what with the consistent moist medium, but i've got a grip on the fuckers now.

plants love it, though. i'm on day 25 and i've got golfballs.

peace, love, and coco
"Stealth Hamsters don't exist, do they?"
humble1 is offline Quote