What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The problem with BBQin

Hubbleman

Veteran
Tried coals last summer didn't like it for 2 reasons:

1. there nasty dusty industrial smelly coals

2. When fat leaks into hot coals the temperature there so high that a chemical reaction occurs when fat drops on coals and carcinogens produced.

Not good.

So I'm looking for gas BBQ kits now. Anyone got gas BBQ?? Is the chemicals released from burning gas dangerous when it touches food? Also some gas BBQ have "lava rocks" in them which I think as bad as coal BBQ cos fat will drop on them.

So, what do u think??:)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I think you should try indirect coal cooking...I love charcoal over propane any day...Yeehaw..If you go the lameass propane way at least get a stainless wood chip box to add flavor..Otherwise just cook in your damn oven....Those drippings hitting the coals add flavor propane will never replicate..Beer is my fav...Also buy hardwood coals not fords pressed garbage..Yup originally designed to heat by the auto guy ford..If propane was the only choice I would throw away my grill

Cvh

Supermod
BBQ-ing with gas is not the same as with coals. It removes all the bbq taste and flavour.
It taste just like it was baked in a pan.

Hubbleman

Veteran
Hmmmm

I swear the coals I got are all black and nasty and industrial and smell bad for few minutes after lighting em

I'm confused

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran

2. When fat leaks into hot coals the temperature there so high that a chemical reaction occurs when fat drops on coals and carcinogens produced.

Not good.

So I'm looking for gas BBQ kits now. Anyone got gas BBQ?? Is the chemicals released from burning gas dangerous when it touches food? Also some gas BBQ have "lava rocks" in them which I think as bad as coal BBQ cos fat will drop on them.

Hmmmm

I swear the coals I got are all black and nasty and industrial and smell bad for few minutes after lighting em

I'm confused

bro, you're still on this site... asking dumb irrelevant questions? :laughing:

1) when using charcoal youre supposed to wait 15 or so minutes after lighting for the coals to ash over before you begin cooking.

2) if you don't like the coal flavor, try using wood chunks

3) never cook on a gas grill, unless your name is hank hill

4) none of this is probably even real, you're probably not cooking anything and just wanted to start another thread

Green Squall

Not good.

"Taste the meat, not the heat". Gas is great. I use mine probably 5 days a week. It's super quick to heat up and 2 tanks of propane lasts me from early spring to fall which comes to only $30 USD.

There are small health risks that come with grilling anything at high temperature, but propane is probably safer compared to charcoal. Overall I use gas for convenience sake.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I use a torch to get my coals going fast...Yeehaw...No petroleum lighting fluid needed or I use that round coal bin thing like a mini burn barrel

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Its not barbacue without wood its grilling..And all the best places use wood if u go out to eat...Yeehaw..Bring it propane suckers lol the debate goes on

packerfan79

Veteran
Wood makes it good. Charcoal is good to. I use a chimney starter, 2 sheets of newspaper to start it. No lighter fluid needed

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea those chimney starters are the best when it comes to lighting coal, I have a friend that uses a torch too like ST suggested LOL

Spaventa

Veteran
Gas BBQ? you drink alcohol free beer with that? maybe smoke some Ruderalis? then go for a ride on the exercise bike?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I use a chimney starter, 2 sheets of newspaper to start it.

You're not alone. I wonder if you use mesquite chunks, Thermoworks thermometers, and Kingsford charcoal when it's on sale.

My best charcoal grill/smoker advice happens to work for the OP. See the WSM. Seen these displayed in stores but thought they were more cheaply made than a 10 year warranty implies. A really cheap and best overall option is to buy an unlined 30-55 gallon drum with lid - and a replacement grill grate - and convert that PBC style but with a dripping diversion system like the WSM bowl.

I fire up my drum every week rain snow or shine, and so all my neighbors then bought grills - gas.

7thson

El Diablo is pretty good stuff.Tried to post a pic but no bueno.This is 100% real charcoal (mesquite ).

Last edited:

Green Squall

Ya'll have a good point. Gas isn't BBQ but it has it's place. Definitely better than cooking in an oven. I like to sear my meat and then move to indirect heat and crank the temp WAY up for a few minutes. Plus cooking outside is fuckin cool.

I'd like to get a smoker for special occasions, but my gas grill fits my needs for everyday use. Here's a chop I cooked last week.

picture.php

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I like the convenience of propane too. Charcoal and wood taste better, but I'm just trying to eat some food!! I'm not the guy who likes to make a day outta it. Lol. Living in the dirty south, it's not too hard to find a buddy with a smoker and let them do the work! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Latest posts