What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The problem with BBQin

yahooman

make your own charcoal its easy,all you need is hard wood chunks,high heat and a sealed environment to put the hardwood in

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I like the convenience of propane too. Charcoal and wood taste better, but I'm just trying to eat some food!! I'm not the guy who likes to make a day outta it. Lol. Living in the dirty south, it's not too hard to find a buddy with a smoker and let them do the work!

What is this work of which you speak? Loading the charcoal, pulling out the ashes on the foil sheet? I add meat to my drum and come back when it's done, up to 10 hours.

I have been wanting to smoke a brisket. That's like a 20 hour smoke.

You could hang 4 in a 55 gallon drum, if family is coming over. Weber really ought to add hanging options to the WSM's.

The first turkey and the first piece of rib eye in the drum were the best ever.

packerfan79

Veteran
What is this work of which you speak? Loading the charcoal, pulling out the ashes on the foil sheet? I add meat to my drum and come back when it's done, up to 10 hours.

You could hang 4 in a 55 gallon drum, if family is coming over. Weber really ought to add hanging options to the WSM's.

The first turkey and the first piece of rib eye in the drum were the best ever.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=13921&pictureid=1676904&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=13921&pictureid=1626281&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Yeah I don't feed that many that I need more than 1 brisket.

shithawk420

Veteran
We got a chef mod on this site so maybe he can say something but in my opinion meat has to be sous vie and then torched with a propane torch the way french chefs do it.but ill be damned if i dont like a good bbq.the best wood i used was pecan wood i cut in my backyard.peach wood is good too.

packerfan79

Veteran
We got a chef mod on this site so maybe he can say something but in my opinion meat has to be sous vie and then torched with a propane torch the way french chefs do it.but ill be damned if i dont like a good bbq.the best wood i used was pecan wood i cut in my backyard.peach wood is good too.

Peach sounds good. I smoked a pork shoulder and a rack of spare ribs over some cherry wood. Soooo tasty.

Dog Star

Veteran
White trees and fruit trees are best for barbecue,also Vitis vinifera are great
for fish barbecue,better temps for fish barbecuing..

Oaks we use for heating a houses and we dont use him for barbecuing of food
cause Oaks have tanines and they can made meat or other bitter tasted..

Most usually we use European Beech tree and that same tree is most used for smoking
meats and fishes..

shithawk420

Veteran
I was just gonna say oak would be bitter.but I've used all kinds of wood just cause it was the only thing around

brown_thumb

White trees and fruit trees are best for barbecue,also Vitis vinifera are great
for fish barbecue,better temps for fish barbecuing..

Oaks we use for heating a houses and we dont use him for barbecuing of food
cause Oaks have tanines and they can made meat or other bitter tasted..

Most usually we use European Beech tree and that same tree is most used for smoking
meats and fishes..

That's why we sweeten our BBQ sauces here... mmm... tasty sweet/sour with mildly bitter undertones. Lovely smoked heaven!!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
thats a big fuking ribeye G.O Joe.i never smoked a steak.only souse vie and searing.it doesnt get dry? i made this pork roast wrapped in bacon.it was the best i ever had.i cut it with a fork.

No. It was dry aged actually. It smoked very quick but you can still see the ring. It was only a small part of the rib eye. I only buy them in pieces at least 10#, if not 15. Even then, restaurants get the best part that you will never find even in a butcher shop unless you buy a whole side. I can hang a brisket with the bottom just above the coals and it isn't any drier or hotter than the top.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7550842&postcount=2980

I just hanged a 7.5# pork butt, it'll be ready in about 7 hours. I won't cut it with a fork exactly but pretty close.

shithawk420

Veteran
NICE!i could tell it might have been dry aged.i dont have that much experience with smoking but that was probably a 40 dollar steak from the butcher or more.im too scared to smoke an expensive cut like that.good job!id eat it!

brown_thumb

NICE!i could tell it might have been dry aged.i dont have that much experience with smoking but that was probably a 40 dollar steak from the butcher or more.im too scared to smoke an expensive cut like that.good job!id eat it!

Me too... US$40 is two week's worth of food groceries for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts