What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Old Uncle Ben

I googled the old place. When the house was moved the last hurdle to cross was an above grade railroad crossing. The Florida East Coast Railway had a line that ran along the eastern edge of the 10 acres. It took the moving crew 8 hours to crawl across and over those tracks while my Mom was a nervous wreck. There were guys in the ditches with 4x4s supporting the house on the trailer to keep it steady.

The trees stumps in front were all large mango trees. The palms and shrubs on the right were planted after we left.
Too cool!

buzzmobile

Veteran
This is view a week ago from my easy chair, Reed avocados. In about a month the greenhouse will be perfumed with citrus mangos, avocados, and annonas in full bloom. I sit there listening to and watching the bees, flies, wasps, moths, butterflies enjoy the nectar.

View attachment 18951651

Got about 200 or so Meyer lemons ready to pick. Leaves look like hell as they are getting ready to drop for a new flush. Got all kinds of varieties, all grafted. Key lime tree has about 8 varieties of all kinds of citrus - oranges, lemons, Persian lime.....

View attachment 18951652

View attachment 18951653

Moro blood orange. Makes a great marmalade.

View attachment 18951655

Dragon fruit, "Sugar" variety. One of the most beautiful, HUGE flowers there is. Blooms one time at night. Fruit is excellent. ANY homegrown fruit beats the crap you get from a grocer.

View attachment 18951657

Praying mantis baby on a new avocado graft.

View attachment 18951660
The dragon fruit flower looks like a night blooming cereus. Are you in S. Florida?

Old Uncle Ben

The dragon fruit flower looks like a night blooming cereus. Are you in S. Florida?

Texas, greenhouse. I have grown cereus. Smell is wonderful.

Pitaya flowers are a good 12" across, just stunning.

PitayaBedJune2#2.jpg

moose eater

@Old Uncle Ben My younger son sprouted a grapefruit tree in a drinking glass, from seed from a grapefruit from the grocery store, years ago, and we grew it in a larger container (Classic 2200) in the living room to about 4' tall, but it became heavily infested with root aphids.

I battled the root aphids with everything I had on-hand; tricks from my organic cannabis artillery, on up to (eventually) stuff I'd normally frown on ANYONE using on anything that would eventually render edible fruit.

I surrendered after a time, worried that the buggers would increase their airborne numbers and get into my cannabis in the shop.

I put the pot on the front porch that winter at about -30 f., which I'm pretty sure killed the root aphids, but also killed his grapefruit tree.

I've -never- battled -anything- that tenacious in my pot-growing.

Last edited:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Lots done today. Girls are happy......I am happy. I had a couple of starts in the dome fall over today. Hmmmm.....for some reason I have that happen every time. I know people that say they get 100% to root in 10 days. I can't do that. I get around 70% and it takes 15 to 20 days.....sometimes longer.

Mrs Pute is watching a rally on the tube. I pass......seen it over and over......she can't get enough.

I am enjoying my break from trimming......and won't have to do it again until March.

It is now 3 here which means it is 5 on the East coast.....party time for them.....I think I will join them.

moose eater

Lots done today. Girls are happy......I am happy. I had a couple of starts in the dome fall over today. Hmmmm.....for some reason I have that happen every time. I know people that say they get 100% to root in 10 days. I can't do that. I get around 70% and it takes 15 to 20 days.....sometimes longer.

Mrs Pute is watching a rally on the tube. I pass......seen it over and over......she can't get enough.

I am enjoying my break from trimming......and won't have to do it again until March.

It is now 3 here which means it is 5 on the East coast.....party time for them.....I think I will join them.
I've found moisture levels in the mix matter significantly, and as a prophylactic, when I do my clone mixes or any mixes, really, I use 3/8 tsp of Actinovate (or a comparable dose of Myco-Stop, etc.) and 3/4-TBSP to 1-1/2 TBSP of Gnatrol WDG to address any potential fungus from the moisture levels under the dome and any fungus gnat larvae that might've come in from my base items that are nearly ALWAYS imported from warmer climates.

If my mothers are healthy, and the environment's right, I typically get 100% success with a Pro-Mix, perlite and vermiculite base with added (calcium/various lime components) and P.. etc.

Edit: Some strains root faster or slower than others, too.