What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

420club
Strange....I can't stand salesman in general. I don't do that anymore...... everybody has to do something for a living.

Little secret.... I haven't sold a car since1979! Have been a general sales manager, general manager and owner since then.
You are the guy that teaches that sales pressure stuff to those guys I’m afraid of. I know it’s been a while since you sold a car but I can tell you still got skills…🤪

Old Uncle Ben

Dislike clowns with a passion

I chew up car salesmen and spit them out. Try to buy when they're wondering around on the floor at the end of the month/quarter on a rainy Tuesday (never a weekend) asking themselves, "where is everybody?" Start negociating just below the invoice price which is around 90 - 94% of the total MSRP depending on the make/model.

Just before Covid hit I custom built in Austria a BMW Z4 with the extras like Adaptive Suspension, bigger brakes, colored calipers, etc. Paid invoice on paper. Took out the sales man for lunch after delivery, said they made $200 on the deal. Can't do that now. Inflation. This little convertible hot rod is fun in the country where I live. Lots of hills, wildflowers, creeks to zip around.

Got two bimmers, love 'em.

Z4April26-2021Specs.jpg
Z4 WillowCityLoop#9.jpg
SatchRoundelOct2020#2.jpg

Z4#4.jpg

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I chew up car salesmen and spit them out. Try to buy when they're wondering around on the floor at the end of the month/quarter on a rainy Tuesday (never a weekend) asking themselves, "where is everybody?" Start negociating just below the invoice price which is around 90 - 94% of the total MSRP depending on the make/model.

Just before Covid hit I custom built in Austria a BMW Z4 with the extras like Adaptive Suspension, bigger brakes, colored calipers, etc. Paid invoice on paper. Took out the sales man for lunch after delivery, said they made $200 on the deal. Can't do that now. Inflation. This little convertible hot rod is fun in the country where I live. Lots of hills, wildflowers, creeks to zip around.

Got two bimmers, love 'em.

View attachment 18951619 View attachment 18951620 View attachment 18951622
Love it. That is exactly what everybody says.......Think about this. Nobody would ever buy a car unless they got a great deal. Ben, every body drives a car and everybody thinks they got a great deal.....How do car dealers stay in business then.......

Old Uncle Ben

Love it. That is exactly what everybody says.......Think about this. Nobody would ever buy a car unless they got a great deal. Ben, every body drives a car and everybody thinks they got a great deal.....How do car dealers stay in business then.......

No, most people are stupid letting their emotions over ride patience, being cool.

How do they do it? With factory holdbacks and other incentives us mortals can only dream of.

I just replaced a side outside mirror on my X5 for $449 shipped. Was OEM too. Was painted the color of my car. Installation was $179 which included calibration. BMW Parts wanted $1,256 for the same part!

When it comes to backing up, I'm an accident waiting to happen. I've had at least 4 backing accidents in 8 years and that's with a backup cam!

Old Uncle Ben

Love it. That is exactly what everybody says.......

Just looked it up. My sale price was $54,562 for the Z4. MSRP on the window sticker was $58,045 including the $995 destination charge. IOW I paid 93.99% of MSRP. Find out what that is before setting foot on the floor and don't let them beat you up. Also, my sales rep said I got a good deal because I played their dealership against others. I had 4 dealer quotes, apples to apples on the custom build including my dealer's quote.

Patwillie

I
Yup. That was me.

I sold life insurance in '83 - 85 .. did fairly well in the middle of a recession. The most important thing was presenting a weeping psychological scenario whereas the hearse instead of an ambulance is backed up to the young family's front door taking the bread winner of the family away for ever.

I sold a hell of a lot of death policies ...

RIP Kobe

moose eater

That's simply not a fair question to pose on a Saturday morning.

On the other hand, my 15" Lodge cast iron pizza pan arrived the other day and the second 'curing' or conditioning is complete.

So, though pizza is one of my carbohydrate sins, I can promise myself to only eat one slice at a time per meal...

(The evil devil voice in my head, sitting on my right shoulder, whispers in my ear, with a bit more pointed honesty, poking fun, "Yeah.... Otay...").

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Just looked it up. My sale price was $54,562 for the Z4. MSRP on the window sticker was $58,045 including the $995 destination charge. IOW I paid 93.99% of MSRP. Find out what that is before setting foot on the floor and don't let them beat you up. Also, my sales rep said I got a good deal because I played their dealership against others. I had 4 dealer quotes, apples to apples on the custom build including my dealer's quote.
Good you probably got a pretty good deal. Ever hear of hold back or factory to dealer incentives? And for the life of me I have NEVER heard a car salesman say We Laid You Away. Did you finance at the dealership.

Most everybody shops one dealer against the other. The way to control a person like you is to control you by making you think you have control. 40 years In the business and you have seen just about everything.

I could tell you some stories......Most important....you think you got a good deal, so you did. And at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I

I sold life insurance in '83 - 85 .. did fairly well in the middle of a recession. The most important thing was presenting a weeping psychological scenario whereas the hearse instead of an ambulance is backed up to the young family's front door taking the bread winner of the family away for ever.

I sold a hell of a lot of death policies ...

RIP Kobe

Hee, hee, hee, I've never forgotten the line from the first life insurance salesman that my new wife and I contacted in 1964. He relayed a story of selling a couple whole life and having the man of the family die only a month or so later.

He relayed how the widow, broken and in tears, made his life complete by saying, "Thank God for the day you stepped into our lives!

moose eater

It's the new Zill M-4. Zill used Kent to make a lot of his designer mangos. I used to have all the great Gary Zill designer mangos which I grafted to rootstock. Lost most to some catastrophe, heater failures and such, which has now been resolved with lots of spare propane tanks, wireless temp alarm, etc. I still have Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, Glenn, Juicy Peach and Pickering. Hope to get Rosigold from Alex of Tropical Acres. Lost stuff like Pineapple Pleasure, Fruit Punch, Cotton Candy, etc. Folks who have never tasted a homegrown mango don't know what they're missing. One of those eyes closed over the sink experiences, pure Nirvana! :)

We had an incredible avocado last night from my greenhouse, just pure nutty cream, very rich, super small seed. I only grow SoCal types like Jan Boyce, Kona Sharwil, Reed, Ardith, GEM, Lamb Hass, etc.

@buzzmobile, do you know Carlos delaTorre of Homestead? He used to have a 20 acre orchard. Great site, good friend. Haven't touched base with him in years though. He's been hit by that damn laurel beetle and hurricanes. https://www.myavocadotrees.com/

View attachment 18951603 View attachment 18951604 View attachment 18951605

You'll recognize this name I bet - Oro Negro.

View attachment 18951607

Turns black with a gold flesh.

UB
Sitting in a head shop in Nimbin, Australia and avocados were hanging on branches outside the Dutch door at the side of the back room 'cafe'. A novelty for me, and the farm country there was beautiful. But I loathe (read, 'panic' at) being near poisonous stuff.

I frequently have told people that while scorpions, snakes, spiders, etc., might crawl into clothing or a sleeping bag to stay warm, if I ever return to camp and there's a bear in my sleeping bag, there'll be a big lump visible to warn me in advance. Such a situation with a bear offers no real surprises. Not the same at all for the other vermin.

moose eater

My wife just racked the last of the one remaining gallon of our homemade raspberry wine (berries frozen in 1/2-gallon Nancy's Yogurt containers from summer, from her raspberry arbor).

Thus far, with 3-gallon batches of our high-test choke cherry wine, and now the raspberry wine, by the time its settled, clarified, done fermenting, etc., and repeatedly sampled through the processes of the must (*See the post about daily inquiries as to whether the "puppy's bigger yet?"), we have about 2-3 750 ml bottles remaining to cork, and maybe a few sips of further sampling.

Using this information for future planning, I think that we need to make a minimum of 6-gallon batches, or, preferably, 12-gallon batches. Especially if we're to continue gifting little tester bottles to family and friends.

jokerman

Premium user
Strange....I can't stand salesman in general. I don't do that anymore...... everybody has to do something for a living.

Little secret.... I haven't sold a car since1979! Have been a general sales manager, general manager and owner since then.
Now you have me questioning your advice on the warranties and the unknown benefits of undercoating FFS !..

Old Uncle Ben

Good you probably got a pretty good deal. Ever hear of hold back or factory to dealer incentives? And for the life of me I have NEVER heard a car salesman say We Laid You Away. Did you finance at the dealership.

Most everybody shops one dealer against the other. The way to control a person like you is to control you by making you think you have control. 40 years In the business and you have seen just about everything.

I could tell you some stories......Most important....you think you got a good deal, so you did. And at the end of the day that is all that matters.

I mentioned those incentives in a previous post.

I financed for a few months to get a $1000 discount. Got a lot of other incentives. BMW is not giving them anymore. I think the only one left is like $1,500 for BMW CCA members, which I am one.

With pad in hand and figures to play games with I had a Nissan salesman stand up from this desk, take the sales order, tear it up and scream "I get tired of folks telling me how to sell my cars". We walked out, wife in tears.

Got friends who get $200 of MSRP thinking they got a good deal, point well taken.

Yeah, I bet you have seen everything Good on ya for sticking it out!

After shopping for weeks my girlfriend settled on a new Honda Passport Trailsport. What a nice, practical car. Not serenely quiet like my X5 but super comfortable with all kinds of cool storage. Doors have 5 storage areas. You could haul a damn tank in that 2 row SUV it's so big, well designed.

Old Uncle Ben

My wife just racked the last of the one remaining gallon of our homemade raspberry wine (berries frozen in 1/2-gallon Nancy's Yogurt containers from summer, from her raspberry arbor).

Thus far, with 3-gallon batches of our high-test choke cherry wine, and now the raspberry wine, by the time its settled, clarified, done fermenting, etc., and repeatedly sampled through the processes of the must (*See the post about daily inquiries as to whether the "puppy's bigger yet?"), we have about 2-3 750 ml bottles remaining to cork, and maybe a few sips of further sampling.

Using this information for future planning, I think that we need to make a minimum of 6-gallon batches, or, preferably, 12-gallon batches. Especially if we're to continue gifting little tester bottles to family and friends.

Oh my gawd, sounds wonderful! Been making wine since a teen. Have made Mustang wine and dewberry wine from country picked stuff.

Have a vineyard of viniferas in the Texas wine country. Rant - fuckin' Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) just bought 114 acres and is putting in a big resort with moat, restaurants, lodging, etc. Our little town's charm is going to hell because of the developments.

Due to waste I start with about 7 gallons of must to end up with about 6 gals. of clear wine.

Tannat

TannatGrapes.jpg

Mouvedre

MouvAug8.jpg

Vermentino

VermentinoJuly24.jpg

Last of my ag businesses. I sell to amateur winemakers. Harvest begins at sunrise, tequila shots, beer and sandwiches around noon.