What's new

*The K.I.S.S. Method*

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I woud check it with some calibration fluid or something. I use .2 EC tap water and with 7 grams/gallon Maxi I get a 1.3 EC. My readings are with a Bluelab Truncheon Meter but I've never checked it for accuracy.

I am also using a BLueLab truncheon and i mixed my first batch with RO water and I came out with 1.6 EC, same as I get with my tap water.

Herbophile

I noticed peoples numbers seem to be a bit higher than mine but I never worried about it much as I just use it as reference. The next time I'm at the store though I think I'm going to pick up some calibration fluid out of curiosity.

Don't know much about truncheon meters after looking at a grow catalog is states they read in both the 500 and 700 ppm scales could some one explain that to me I've always used a 3-way milwaukee meter and am not sure wich scale it reads on?

Herbophile

Your meter should have that information in the manual or maybe you could google the model and find the conversion factor. All the conversion is is a formula calculated off of the EC. When ever a meter reads in PPM it's basically just reading in EC and making the calculation for you. Why the different conversions factors exist I have no idea as I've never bothered to look into it. I think the 500 is American scale and the 700 is European though.

The truncheons read 500 and 700 conversion as well as EC and CF. It just has the scales on either side of the EC reading so once the blue lights light up you can read it across and get the PPM in either scale. It seems a little pointless actually but it doesn't hurt to have it on there.

Edit: Also to do the calculation you just divide by the conversion factor. ex. PPM/conversion factor = EC

G

greenmatter

google "printable PPM EC CF conversion chart". blue lab has a good one in there. easy as tacking it on the grow room wall

Herbophile, Thanks for the through answer. I'm gona remember, no scratch that write it down! My short term memorie sucks and I want to be able to refrence that when I need it.

GreenMatter, Good idea I'm gona try and print that out as well for easy refrene in my Nutes cabnet.

Blissfest, to know if that is hight I would want to know when you are feeding and at what point. Full on flower may be good but I never get that high, then again I usually only check ppm/ph and my ppm's never get above 1600.

I FUCKED UP.

Yesterday I hit day 27 of flower using straight Maxi. I was going to add Koolbloom at Week 5 and 6. I accidentally filled my 40gal res with Koolbloom instead of MAxi at basically week 2.5. Should I dump the entire rez or just say fuck it? My PPM's are only 475!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED. I can top off with just Maxi or can somehow suck out 20 gallons and just put them in a 5 gal bucket for a couple more weeks or something.

Herbophile

Dump and refill. The cost of lost nutes isn't worth a possibly ruined or damaged crop. You could save it also if you know the concentrations but that would be a hassle for me.

Dump and refill. The cost of lost nutes isn't worth a possibly ruined or damaged crop. You could save it also if you know the concentrations but that would be a hassle for me.

What do you mean if I know the concentrations?

I know that I have 140ml Carboload, 120ml Cal Mag, 50grams of Koolbloom and 120 grams of Maxibloom in a 40 gal rez that I just filled yesterday. All that and PPM's of about 450

Herbophile

I just meant if you know your exact quantities so you know what you're adding back with that water later.

You made it sound like you filled it with just koolbloom. I've never used koolbloom so I don't know what effects that amount you put in will have but you may be ok if you just add in the required amount of maxibloom to bring you up to your target EC. You would just have to keep a close eye for any negative reactions and go from there.

I would still dump and refill but I'm a little OCD when it comes to such things. :D

I just meant if you know your exact quantities so you know what you're adding back with that water later.

You made it sound like you filled it with just koolbloom. I've never used koolbloom so I don't know what effects that amount you put in will have but you may be ok if you just add in the required amount of maxibloom to bring you up to your target EC. You would just have to keep a close eye for any negative reactions and go from there.

I would still dump and refill but I'm a little OCD when it comes to such things. :D

Thank man.

I decided to take 15 gallons out of the 40. Then added back in the 15 gallons with just Maxi and Cal Mag at their correct amounts. Got me at 750ppm. Which is low for me but i think ill keep it here for a week so I go easy on the plants and see how they react to how much Koolbloom is still in the res, which shouldn't be very much anymore.

Rambro

ive got 1 plant 48 days from breaking soil going in a 1 gallon bag of soil( doing a seed run for sour60) and im using the kiss method. how often do you guys think i should feed it? my leaves are yellowing and fans leaves drying up and dying. could it be a calmag deficiency because i only use maxibloom molasses and ph up. my tap water has a ppm of 46-50 straight out the faucet and ive been feeding almost every watering with ppm of like 800-1000. im not seeing many burned tips but the leavesare yellowing pretty bad(mainly fan leaves at bottom and working its way up the whole plant) anyone have some ideas? its under a 150w hps if that matters. today i flushed it with plain tap water for a while then fed at 850ppm maxi and molasses. does plain maxibloom have enough cal and mag to keep my plant healthy if my tap ppm is only about 48? thanks for any input guys

G

Guest 18340

I FUCKED UP.

Yesterday I hit day 27 of flower using straight Maxi. I was going to add Koolbloom at Week 5 and 6. I accidentally filled my 40gal res with Koolbloom instead of MAxi at basically week 2.5. Should I dump the entire rez or just say fuck it? My PPM's are only 475!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED. I can top off with just Maxi or can somehow suck out 20 gallons and just put them in a 5 gal bucket for a couple more weeks or something.
Empty it and start over, thats what I would do.

Last edited:
Possibly damage the rest of your crop.... or clean that res out and start over knowing that you're doing the best for your babies. They'll appreciate it and you can sleep better at night :)